Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

Confirmed.

One person from each group should just bite the bullet and say what the powers are.

I'm in the roleblocker room.

I'm in the cop room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm also in the roleblocker room.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Once we reveal the third power, we can discuss openly in this chat who we should use what powers on, instead of just discussing in the voting room.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Little Mac posted:

I'm also in the roleblocker room.

Little Mac nooooo.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

jon joe posted:

Little Mac nooooo.

???

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Only one per room is to reveal so we all know what the rooms are and can further discuss them without giving away what everyone's ballots are.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Hahah were we only supposed to reveal what powers were available? Oops I guess?

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
doc room

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Little Mac, I would berate you in the room but then I would give away who I am, so I'm just going to berate you here.

You dumb.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

How does scum gain an advantage from knowing I have a ballot? Don't they change every day?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Okay we have a cop room, doc room, and roleblocker room. We should target the cop room and doc room on the same person d1, so scum doesn't just kill the cop target if they're town. Who that target it is up for debate. We should probably roleblock whoever the second most-wanted puppy cuddle is.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

This is going to be hard to get right unless we get a bunch of confirmed towns in the doc room.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

All the tswift avatars make it hard to tell who's who.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

wall monitor posted:

Why did I type this?

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

wall monitor posted:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Little Mac posted:

How does scum gain an advantage from knowing I have a ballot? Don't they change every day?
This is a good question. MMM warns us to stay anonymous saying scum could gain an advantage but I'm not sure I see it?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Fast Luck posted:

This is a good question. MMM warns us to stay anonymous saying scum could gain an advantage but I'm not sure I see it?

This is just some setup speculation, but it's possible scum have a power role to steal a ballot during the night from its intended target by targeting the person who was holding it.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

jon joe posted:

This is just some setup speculation, but it's possible scum have a power role to steal a ballot during the night from its intended target by targeting the person who was holding it.

I'd guess a swap more than a steal. Scum holding two ballots in the same room would be rough to handle.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Regardless of anything else I want to vote out all the T-Swizzle avs

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
^ :(

Epsilon Plus posted:

I'd guess a swap more than a steal. Scum holding two ballots in the same room would be rough to handle.

Which is why we should decide all targets in this chat. That way all town players are in consensus and any less than 3 scum-controlled ballots in the same room can't control the power.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Hal Incandenza posted:

Regardless of anything else I want to vote out all the T-Swizzle avs

This.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

jon joe posted:

^ :(

Which is why we should decide all targets in this chat. That way all town players are in consensus and any less than 3 scum-controlled ballots in the same room can't control the power.

If scum are stealing ballots, they could circumvent this, though. This would be particularly lovely if the scum also had a role that let them discern what ballot someone holds (ballotcop?). More than likely, though, I'd guess all scum are vanilla but I wouldn't put money on it.

Hal's got the right idea though - if we take out the highest ranked Swifthaver, the rest will fall. ##vote wall monitor

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

hello, i am still shaky on the mechanics

i have to give my ballot away every night, yeah?

what's stopping me from claiming who i gave it to so that once they flip scum (if they do) i become confirmed town?

is the disadvantage just that we'd have a few nights of mis-cops and mis-docs?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Ernie. posted:

hello, i am still shaky on the mechanics

i have to give my ballot away every night, yeah?

what's stopping me from claiming who i gave it to so that once they flip scum (if they do) i become confirmed town?

is the disadvantage just that we'd have a few nights of mis-cops and mis-docs?

Nothing that I can see, other than the fact that more than likely you don't know who you received your ballot from and there's no way (for town at least) to track ballots, so you could just lie out of your rear end?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Epsilon Plus posted:

Nothing that I can see, other than the fact that more than likely you don't know who you received your ballot from and there's no way (for town at least) to track ballots, so you could just lie out of your rear end?

unless whoever people send their ballots to receive no ballots at all, i'm not sure how far this strategy would take scum

like, i would personally like to suggest that at the very least we should attempt to break the game by tracking where the ballots go

this game runs a little like resistance (in that it's unlikely there are going to be 3 spies on a single ballot) but by keeping things openly known there's no way the town could remain at a disadvantage

scum eventually will run out of whatever powers they're given (because this game can't be balanced if scum have non-expiring ballot-modifying powers - the cop and doc would not work all game)

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Okay after sleeping on it my thoughts:

Ballot tracking is potentially a good idea, because town generally benefits from having more information out there

Having it known who got what ballot is potentially bad, though, since scum might have powers that necessitate or work more effectively if they know who has what ballot

Any information we get is still potentially suspect since scum might have powers that affect where ballots end up, or steal them, etc?

And in any case scum can simply lie about where they sent ballots to and then claim interference if someone calls them on it, further muddying the waters.

So given the above, I'm going to say that doing any sort of immediate claiming is not in town's best interest? But doing a D1 claim two days later on D3, when the info might be useful to town but less useful to scum (since by then it's much harder to use it to determine who has what ballot right then and there) might work out better? Thoughts?

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

I had considered trying to brute force out who was scum by having everyone pass D1 ballots to the next person down on the OP roster, then pass D2 ballots to the second person down etc, and look for inconsistencies that'd indicate two people who couldn't pass ballots to each other.

It falls apart if scum have any destination-altering capabilities, though

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Is there any harm in saying who you sent your ballot to after the fact?

Other than the four of us (gj LM) who have known ballots it still keeps the identity of who is in what room hidden.

This is complicated without knowing what powers scum have.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Let's stop asking hard questions and start asking harder questions: Who is scum?

Is it you, Ernie.? How could you do this to me, Ernie.? I trusetd you! TRUSETD YOU!

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

jon joe posted:

Let's stop asking hard questions and start asking harder questions: Who is scum?

Is it you, Ernie.? How could you do this to me, Ernie.? I trusetd you! TRUSETD YOU!

##vote jon joe
hth

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

HiipFire posted:

##vote jon joe
hth

ty

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
np

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Votecount in the OP, please, MMM.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I am here and gave this thread a quick skim so far but I would like to say that I'm on board with trying to track ballots.

I know people have claimed what ballot they have - is there a reason not to openly say which group we're in? I feel like the town knowing who has what on day 1 will help provide information to analyze later in the game.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Murmur Twin posted:

Is there a reason not to openly say which group we're in? I feel like the town knowing who has what on day 1 will help provide information to analyze later in the game.

Nothing except the ballot area states that revealing your ballot is a potentially bad idea. I doubt MMM would state that if it weren't true.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The scum team must have some powers that can mess with things, or else it could go just like wall monitor said and we have a predetermined swap order and anyone who can't follow it must be scum passing to scum.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

jon joe posted:

i've been mentally staring at this post for five minutes trying to wrap my head around it

help

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Asiina posted:

The scum team must have some powers that can mess with things, or else it could go just like wall monitor said and we have a predetermined swap order and anyone who can't follow it must be scum passing to scum.

hmmm

hmmmmmmm

if scum can gently caress the ballots up indefinitely then the system is broken from the get go

if they can't then we will get more actions to go our way by being organized than by trying to randomize it

all of that said, let's talk about mafia yeah

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

wall monitor posted:

This suggests at least one power is beneficial to the target?

I don't want to have us claim which group we're in but scum probably can figure this out pretty quickly since they've got 3/4(?) people probably scattered throughout the voting groups already, so I think it'd benefit town to figure it out

this is a scum post

like this is the kind of information that we will anyway have in d2 when people start going 'yesterday i was in the ___ ballot'

delaying it gives us no advantage whatsoever

this post is motivated by being seen as helping the town but it has no actual townie basis for its existence

##vote wall monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I put a whole bunch of thought into how to break this game - including plans where we mass claim, plans where we claim in our mason docs, and other stuff like that. And after 20 minutes I did nothing but think around in circles and second-guess myself.

My original thought was to get all the information out there, and then we could figure out where stuff went wrong to get an idea of who the scumteam is when information starts to contradict itself. The idea being that "bad information is better than no information".

Thinking about it more, that's not right. I feel like anything said in my masondoc has a chance of being forwarded to the scumdoc, so talking in there isn't productive. And since I think we can get a better consensus in the thread, I feel like the information of who has what ballot right now is more useful to scum than town. So I'm on the same page with

quote:

So given the above, I'm going to say that doing any sort of immediate claiming is not in town's best interest? But doing a D1 claim two days later on D3, when the info might be useful to town but less useful to scum (since by then it's much harder to use it to determine who has what ballot right then and there) might work out better? Thoughts?

That said, in the name of starting some discussion - I am willing to volunteer to be cop/doctor'ed if people agree that they should be aimed at the same person.

• Locked thread