Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Does anyone work with Oneplace CRM? Can you tell me anything about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

the spyder posted:

I'm freeeeee! Turned in my resignation and start at the new job Monday. Pay bump, get to build two data centers, and lead the infrastructure team. I can't wait! Is it still YOTJ?

Congratulations. You made the right choice.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
What are some pros, cons, and questions I should ask at an interview for a non profit?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
"Is your board of governors a bunch of shitheads?"

I worked at a non-profit for four years and the governors (all 50 of them) were a pain in the rear end, multiplied by the chair usually being a prima donna. It was like having two parallel sets of management.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

What are some pros, cons, and questions I should ask at an interview for a non profit?

You won't be paid poo poo, lots of politics, expect nothing to be done easy.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Be prepared to at best stretch a budget so far you're having to decide what failing system you can do without until more money is found. At worst be prepared to do that while they continue to buy flat screen TVs and marketing campaigns and expensive lunches.

We(as MSP) had two non-profits as clients for about 10 years each. The first we actually donated our services to. This ended when a new director arrived and promptly took the grant that was earmarked for workstation replacements(they were running 6 year old XP machines) and bought himself an iMac and MacBook Pro. He was pretty unrepentant about it and flatly stated he knew this was a better use of the money since it directly enhanced his work. I told him that he could use his newfound IT expertise and go find another company to do this poo poo.

The second suffered all the same budget starvation but with the added bonus of a new 'IT helper'. He was some board member's nephew or some poo poo who had studied 'communications and IT' so of course he should be involved in every facet of the organization. This guy turned literally every 5 minute fix for us into a clusterfuck and sure we were billing for it but I just couldn't in my right mind keep doing this so finally I just told the manager that he was costing them shitloads and we weren't going to keep playing. He gave me that nod of 'I understand, please kill me' and that was that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, that t1 helpdesk position that I thought was going to be a 1099 turns out to be a w2, and I have an in-person interview on Wednesday. With any luck in 3 weeks I'll be working at a boring desk job with stable hours instead of a boring field job with surprise 12-hot days and working every other weekend.

I just wish I had thought to check what suits fit me in time to get this one tailored. So boxy.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Aren't you working in an architect-level role now? I'm guessing you're applying to largeish non profit with an actual budget, and not the local Humane Society or something?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Docjowles posted:

Aren't you working in an architect-level role now? I'm guessing you're applying to largeish non profit with an actual budget, and not the local Humane Society or something?

Yes this is accurate. The position is also a Systems Architect position and is right in the range in looking for.

Edit: but now I'm in the dilemma of if I really want to work for a non profit that completely contradicts personal political beliefs. It might even be worse than as Race Realists considering that internship at that christan belief place from 2 pages ago. I think I'm going to pass on this.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 8, 2015

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yes this is accurate. The position is also a Systems Architect position and is right in the range in looking for.

Edit: but now I'm in the dilemma of if I really want to work for a non profit that completely contradicts personal political beliefs. It might even be worse than as Race Realists considering that internship at that christan belief place from 2 pages ago. I think I'm going to pass on this.

That's not the American way. Just go in and do a piss poor job.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

jaegerx posted:

That's not the American way. Just go in and do a piss poor job.

Pull a Ron Swanson and bring them down from the inside!

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but weren't you asking about getting into IT only about a year ago and now you're in an architect role? Are you literally IT jesus or is architect not nearly the title is sounds like it is?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Traffic Reporter posted:

Maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but weren't you asking about getting into IT only about a year ago and now you're in an architect role? Are you literally IT jesus or is architect not nearly the title is sounds like it is?

Yeah that's me, but I was doing IT (windows/Desktop admin) stuff in the Navy for 3-4 years so it was about getting into (civilian) IT. After I got out I got this amazing opportunity to work as an architect where I'm getting more hands on experience with more technologies than I could have imagined so I'm trying to keep up that momentum.

I'm applying mostly to Sr Admin / Engineering roles, but this one was looking for (from an email from the hiring manager to the recruiter) "Technically it's for a Systems Architect but can start with anyone that meets Sr Systems or Server Admin type qualifications... that can architect solutions."

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Well, he was in the architecture GROUP but I'm not sure I'd go around calling myself an architect even though I've designed end-to-end systems, even as a senior dude. Then again some people think I shouldn't call myself an engineer so, I guess put down whatever you think will get an interview and you have the communication skills to back up.

Architect is not a verb. I got yelled at by my friend who does publishing/editing and she ripped that word out with a vengeance.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Bhodi posted:

Well, he was in the architecture GROUP but I'm not sure I'd go around calling myself an architect even though I've designed end-to-end systems, even as a senior dude. Then again some people think I shouldn't call myself an engineer so, I guess put down whatever you think will get an interview and you have the communication skills to back up.

Architect is not a verb. I got yelled at by my friend who does publishing/editing and she ripped that word out with a vengeance.

I get what you're saying, but in this case my job title is "Technology Architect". Of course, it raises eyebrows but it makes it easy to explain my experience gained in this position. There's simply way too many different technologies I've worked with in this past year for it to make sense as an analyst / admin / engineer role.

It's been like a crash course in systems architecture. The guys I work alongside call me the "baby architect" if that helps make more sense.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I really used to have stronger feelings about this but that was before I hosted enough interviews to realize there is no correlation between job title and ability. In the 15 seconds I allocate to skim a resume I honestly don't even look at job titles anymore.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Ask how old the board members are, on average, and how long they've been there. Realize they're all 80+ and 30+ and completely hate the computers that came along and ruined everything, especially now that no one puts in an honest days' hard labor anymore, particularly those uppity gender and racial minorities.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Talked to a friend that started a new job a couple weeks ago. He is making like 120k after taxes which is appealing. The downside is he is working for one of those old telecom companies who just don't sound with modern times. They have things in the environment running on solaris and using oracle linux. The whole thing is supposed to be for a government contract and they are still in the demo phase before final approval, so it hasn't even rolled out yet. It just sounds like the blind leading the blind though. From what he said everything has silly names that don't mean anything, and acronyms with redundant terms in it.
They are going through contracting companies of course, and the whole thing could go bust at any time if it falls through.

I guess working with clueless people and getting paid more has its advantages like you get to easily impress people with knowledge that should be commonplace. butI think I am kinda happy at my gig. I don't have any bullshit contract renewals to worry about, the president just announced company wide everyone gets 20 days PTO a year regardless of how long you have been there, and I am doing some cool projects automating things and learning AWS. Plus all of this is work from home flex schedule (plus on call, which will only be 1/3 of the time once our latest sys admin joins the rotation).

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

update: yeah I passed. Just got of the phone with the recruiter. But from the sounds of it, I probably dodged a bullet.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

JHVH-1 posted:

It just sounds like the blind leading the blind though. From what he said everything has silly names that don't mean anything, and acronyms with redundant terms in it.
This is why I got out of government contracting. You might as well have described my job. After doing it for 4 years I decided the extra money wasn't worth the hassle. Plus, proposal work is beyond soul-sucking.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

update: yeah I passed. Just got of the phone with the recruiter. But from the sounds of it, I probably dodged a bullet.

What org was it?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Inspector_666 posted:

What org was it?

Well, someone has to keep NAMBLA's servers running.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Inspector_666 posted:

What org was it?

extreme right winger / pro life / anti obamacare / tea party lobbyists

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

extreme right winger / pro life / anti obamacare / tea party lobbyists

Sounds like a reasonable and well adjusted crowd to me, what's the problem?

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

meanieface posted:

Related -- had my annual review today and my areas for improvement included "work/life balance" and "managing customer expectations". So it's on paper that I need to tell everyone else to calm down and work less OT. :crossarms:

I sat down yesterday with my "supervisor" (he was actually my shift lead for weekend days for about a month before being tapped to work during the week on CCRI preparation - that was six months ago) and we went over my draft review before it was submitted to the PM. I was pleasantly surprised by his generous ratings and got something like 3.7 out of 5 (highest anyone would ever get is 4) - meets and exceeds on all facets. I told my supervisor that if I was doing a self-appraisal I would have been a 3 or lower simply because I'm far more critical of myself (plus I feel totally inadequate in my knowledge of Exchange). For my goals I listed I was finally going to get my VCP5 and start on my MCSA. Not sure if I want to go down the 2008 track or 2012 - people at work say to do the 2008 track, but everything I've read online says if you haven't started on anything to go for 2012. So conflicted.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Isn't 2008 on it's way out the door? Anyways, if you haven't started any of the 2008 exams, go with 2012. If you've already got 1 done, finish 2008.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
I got a soft invite for an interview with a company for an entry level Cisco Engineer position. There is paid training, but the email said I should come in with some basics. I actually have no experience in IT, so I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on how to go about this. I have about two months before the interview.

The list of topics I should know about includes:
- Switchport, trunk, and global configuration of IOS devices.
- Security configuration of IOS devices
- Routing configuration of ISR routers
- Networking concepts
- Basic voice and datacenter knowledge

Just to give you an idea about my level of networking knowledge, it took me a non-zero amount of time to figure out that IOS wasn't referring to Apple. I have talked to some buddies in the IT field, and they just recommend looking at A+ and Networking+ plus materials. Just skimming some of the sites they recommended, it looks like A+ and Networking+ would help me with basic networking concepts. I am at a bit of a loss as for how to familiarize myself with the other topics. I would like to optimize my study time, so I am looking for some opinions. Should I just concentrate on A+ and Networking+? I don't think I have to come in with any certs, so the other idea would be to just concentrate the parts of the A+ and Networking+ plus materials that relate directly to networking, and then finding reference materials for Cisco IOS. Also if you guys have any website recommendations for learning, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
If you don't know anything about networking, I'm not sure you can cram CCNA knowledge in your brain in a short amount of time

Unless this is a nepotism offer, in which case, go for it

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

crack mayor posted:

Just to give you an idea about my level of networking knowledge, it took me a non-zero amount of time to figure out that IOS wasn't referring to Apple.

I wouldn't worry too much about that.
Get some materials for Network+ and I think you'll do fine.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
2 months is more than enough time to study for A+/Network+

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Was just notified that another tech got a new job he will be leaving for on Friday, and that I get to drive between two buildings daily now to do both our jobs for the same pay until he is replaced. :eng99:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Drunk Orc posted:

Was just notified that another tech got a new job he will be leaving for on Friday, and that I get to drive between two buildings daily now to do both our jobs for the same pay until he is replaced. :eng99:

Sounds like he made the right move.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
Thanks for the replies. I wish it were nepotism, then I would be less worried about nailing this interview. I'm just looking for a career change and this seems like my best shot at this point. I'll keep on with the A+/Networking+ stuff and hope it all pans out.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

crack mayor posted:

Thanks for the replies. I wish it were nepotism, then I would be less worried about nailing this interview. I'm just looking for a career change and this seems like my best shot at this point. I'll keep on with the A+/Networking+ stuff and hope it all pans out.

I think networking is cool as poo poo (the internet is like an insane fractal) and grasping the basics really isn't that hard if you can understand how addressing works. If you haven't done any IT stuff, learning the IOS syntax might be weird, but I imagine that might end up being a minor issue since I imagine entry-level doesn't involve much direct work with the equipment.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I talked to the director and he agrees that I need a raise and is going to talk to the CTO this week about it. He also says I need to pick a new title. What's a good title for someone that does a bit of everything? I will be watching our scheduler software, scheduling new jobs, misc production stuff like submitting reports and running eligibility process, help desk and AIX admin with some oracle things included...

Current my title is Production Support. Pretty sure the title thing is because for HR, title = pay.. He said he doesn't care what it is though so maybe I should just say CSO or something :)

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Danith posted:

I talked to the director and he agrees that I need a raise and is going to talk to the CTO this week about it. He also says I need to pick a new title. What's a good title for someone that does a bit of everything? I will be watching our scheduler software, scheduling new jobs, misc production stuff like submitting reports and running eligibility process, help desk and AIX admin with some oracle things included...

Current my title is Production Support. Pretty sure the title thing is because for HR, title = pay.. He said he doesn't care what it is though so maybe I should just say CSO or something :)

What's your bosses title? Director of IT Support? I would say something that doesn't sound like it over his position imo

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Sr Director of IT Support

realtalk: Systems Administrator or Engineer

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Ahh thanks. Boss is Director of IT. Maybe I'll just go for Systems Administrator.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Danith posted:

Ahh thanks. Boss is Director of IT. Maybe I'll just go for Systems Administrator.

Assistant To The Director of IT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Hughmoris posted:

Assistant To The Director of IT?

Chief Coffee/Lunch Getter to Director of IT