Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It turns out Task Manager is what causes loading screens to freeze in windowed mode. Close it, and the loading screens animate correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
...Did brahmin always explode into a shower of cooked steaks when shot with a .357 or did some mod add that?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Just finished Lonesome Road (except for the Courier's Mile) and spared Ulysses. I feel like it should have been something unlocked after Hoover Dam, like Broken Steel, it's a much more satisfying conclusion to the Courier's story than Hoover Dam. Also Ulysses with his companion code and voice acting restored, might be the most OP thing I've seen in this game yet. Just the sort of companion to bring with me into the Courier's Mile...

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Saint Sputnik posted:

...Did brahmin always explode into a shower of cooked steaks when shot with a .357 or did some mod add that?

That's some kind of mod.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I can't get the TTW installer to recognize my FO3 files. I've got FO3 GotY on steam, installed, and I've booted up the game just in case that changes anything. Should I actually start a new game in FO3? I have no idea if that would change anything.

When I start up the TTW installer, it says it can't locate my FO3 folder, so I go and manually find the FO3 GotY folder, and it accepts the Fallout3.exe at that step, but then when I begin the install and it starts off by checking for all of the files, it immediately says it can't find any of the .esm files that it needs from FO3

edit: nevermind, I restarted my computer and now it's in the process of installing

Internet Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 7, 2015

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
So, I've installed Lombard Station for my latest run, but I have no clue where it is. Could anyone give me directions ?

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Ledgy posted:

So, I've installed Lombard Station for my latest run, but I have no clue where it is. Could anyone give me directions ?

Northwest of Goodsprings. The key to actually get in is in the shack at Jean Sky Diving, and it'll give you the map marker as soon as you pick it up.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

Northwest of Goodsprings. The key to actually get in is in the shack at Jean Sky Diving, and it'll give you the map marker as soon as you pick it up.
You'll also need some dynamite.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Okay thanks.
EDIT: Welp, I picked the key up but it doesn't work on the station's door.

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 8, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Ledgy posted:

Okay thanks.
EDIT: Welp, I picked the key up but it doesn't work on the station's door.

You may have picked up the wrong key, there's one on the desk that unlocks a locker in that room, and another one on one of the bodies that unlocks LS.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Well that's weird, I think there's supposed to be a dead NCR trooper there but his body just didn't show up for some reason. No Lombard Station for me :v:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Dammit Lombard Station creator dude, your intro quest sucks and tons of people have gotten confused about it. However your house is still the best house. I say unlock that fucker via console.

Adam Sessler From TV
Jun 14, 2001

Crispy Tasty!
If you install Lombard Station in a pre-existing save, the NCR trooper won't appear in Jean's Sky Diving. Also, one of the "dead powder gangers" will be alive. You will have to unlock the door via console.

If you have Lombard installed on a new game, it will work normally.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
The people posting on the Nexus forums about FONV scripting seem like they are on Thorazine. Is there like a stackoverflow site for Bethesda-gamebryo modding?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Seashell Salesman posted:

The people posting on the Nexus forums about FONV scripting seem like they are on Thorazine. Is there like a stackoverflow site for Bethesda-gamebryo modding?

I don't know what Thorazine turns people into, but that seems like an apt description for that forums.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I installed Nevada Skies and it seems to have made the first area of Lonesome Road really foggy so that you can't see the Divide in the distance any more. I tried to switch weathers and it said "nothing to switch to". Also the haze in the distance is bright pink sometimes which looks awful with the black clouds. I know it's not meant to be "lore-friendly" and I guess it's still better than any other weather/lighting mod I've tried but :argh:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I actually don't think Nevada Skies is particularly good, to be honest. :shobon:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
gently caress lighting mods. All they do is gently caress poo poo up just so you can get slightly closer to what some random sperg thinks the game should look like.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The color grading in both Fallout 3 and NV looks garish and horrible and if you don't think URWL or Nevada Skies look better you are wrong.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Using something super basic like Fellout to turn off the fullscreen filters is the best imo. And maybe Imaginator to increase saturation a bit.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I've never been a fan of Nevada Skies, the weather effects are super overdone. F3NV Project Reality or Realistic Wasteland Lighting (+ an ENB) are way better.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I liked the way Nevada Skies looked but it caused horrible stuttering every time I was indoors, which doesn't make any sense unless it has something to do with weather sounds.

By that token, is it okay to uninstall and reinstall mods like Nevada Skies and Project Reality without starting a new save? I uninstalled Nevada Skies to no apparent ill effect, but I'm half expecting to have introduced some game breaking bug I'll find later.

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 9, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You can disable the weather effects in the menu, otherwise I wouldn't even have installed it- I want some visual variety after playing the game a billion times on Xbox, not new gameplay elements like "radstorms". It does look good but I think I'm better off alternating between Realistic Wasteland Lighting and Western Skies as the mood takes me; between them they've got me covered and they don't have any major weaknesses like obscuring the defining feature of a DLC from the place where you're supposed to first see it.

Unrelated: I've been playing Tales From The Burning Sands recently and got burned out when I got to the Tiger Campus. I hate to leave a story unfinished but the "endless fetch quests" style of gameplay doesn't do much for me and the writing isn't good enough to make up for it. I'm still hovering between getting rid of it and slogging through in case there's a cool ending or a sweet new bit of loot or something.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

gently caress lighting mods. All they do is gently caress poo poo up just so you can get slightly closer to what some random sperg thinks the game should look like.

Use Fellout.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Just some armoury questions as there is limited documentation on it.

If I am already using WNM and all of Millenia's since released standalone mods, will I have massive overlap with the armoury? I ran through the weapon list and saw some names that were the same, but as long as they aren't identical models/textures/stats but different ID's as Millenia's weapons it shouldn't bother me too much. Small overlap is cool too. For a MO install do I need to get 2.5 FINAL Fomod as well as the 2.9 WIP and install that on top? Or just 2.9 WIP?

Not armoury related, but for LPAM and Armour Compilation, is there overlap between these two? Are any of the big armour mods from the nexus merged in? Just so I can compare against what I have installed and remove overlapping mods if necessary.

Thanks! I love the various goon mods but it is a bit hard to find out much about them.

Edit: Also a question for Antistar, your ACS mod (which is awesome, so thanks) has a CaliberX patch which was last updated for 4.015. CaliberX has since been updated to 4.017 which has added two new crafting and breakdown recipes. I'm not too bothered if you don't get around to updating the patch, as great as that'd be, but I was wondering if this will cause conflicts or it'll just be "new CaliberX recipes aren't ACS-ified" which is easy enough to live with.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 9, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ILO is pretty great and you're pretty dumb, SSB. Oughta be slapped for expressing such a bankrupt opinion.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Oh boy now everything is darker! I'm so immersed! Previously I found the lighting to be unrealistically bright, but now it's perfect. Goes great with my 10x pip boy light.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

Not armoury related, but for LPAM and Armour Compilation, is there overlap between these two? Are any of the big armour mods from the nexus merged in? Just so I can compare against what I have installed and remove overlapping mods if necessary.

If you download LPAM it includes a full list with screenshots of everything it adds, which might be helpful for comparing with other mods.

Similar question, will multiple weapon compilations cause problems? I got the mod that adds Fallout 3 weapons and I'm interested in the one which adds Fallout 1 and 2 weapons too. I think that since neither of them alters anything already in the game but just adds new items that shouldn't be a problem? Right? It wouldn't destroy my game utterly? Since I'm asking questions, what other mods do people use that aren't on the Nexus?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

2house2fly posted:

If you download LPAM it includes a full list with screenshots of everything it adds, which might be helpful for comparing with other mods.

Similar question, will multiple weapon compilations cause problems? I got the mod that adds Fallout 3 weapons and I'm interested in the one which adds Fallout 1 and 2 weapons too. I think that since neither of them alters anything already in the game but just adds new items that shouldn't be a problem? Right? It wouldn't destroy my game utterly? Since I'm asking questions, what other mods do people use that aren't on the Nexus?

I run both and haven't ran into any issues yet.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Conceptually, sandstorms are cool, and radstorms kinda tie into lore, and yeah it's probably pretty fuckin' dark at night in the desert, but none of those things are really fun to play.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The nice thing is that that is all optional. I use the URWL version of Nevada Skies with brighter nights and Radstorms and Sandstorms disabled.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

ILO is pretty great and you're pretty dumb, SSB. Oughta be slapped for expressing such a bankrupt opinion.

mods that make everything too dark to see are some stupid bullshit

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

JawKnee posted:

mods that make everything too dark to see are some stupid bullshit

Well that's certainly a compelling argument. I find myself in the camp that enjoys caves and "dungeons" to be really dark, though :iiam:

Fortunately you have the option of not using a mod, or of actually putting to use all of the Cateye, flares, pipboy (flash)lights, night vision, and thermal vision that various other mods add.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 9, 2015

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Well that's certainly a compelling argument. I find myself in the camp that enjoys caves and "dungeons" to be really dark, though :iiam:

Fortunately you have the option of not using a mod.

I like Project Realities weather and skyboxes, I just don't like not being able to see a drat thing even with a light on when I'm indoors

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

JawKnee posted:

I like Project Realities weather and skyboxes, I just don't like not being able to see a drat thing even with a light on when I'm indoors

I use ILO and don't really have this problem with most interiors. However, there are places where I can actually benefit from carrying Cateye (which is absolutely useless in the base game) and using the enhanced vision features that mods like PN add.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think its a bit nutty that ILO suggests that you max out your monitors contrast and brightness.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

2house2fly posted:

You can disable the weather effects in the menu, otherwise I wouldn't even have installed it- I want some visual variety after playing the game a billion times on Xbox, not new gameplay elements like "radstorms". It does look good but I think I'm better off alternating between Realistic Wasteland Lighting and Western Skies as the mood takes me; between them they've got me covered and they don't have any major weaknesses like obscuring the defining feature of a DLC from the place where you're supposed to first see it.

Unrelated: I've been playing Tales From The Burning Sands recently and got burned out when I got to the Tiger Campus. I hate to leave a story unfinished but the "endless fetch quests" style of gameplay doesn't do much for me and the writing isn't good enough to make up for it. I'm still hovering between getting rid of it and slogging through in case there's a cool ending or a sweet new bit of loot or something.

I use TTW so I kind of mentally cross out anything except URWL, Fellout, or Nevada Skies because those are the only available options. On my first playthrough of NV I used Western Skies.

Also the darkness at night and in dungeons means the Project Nevada vision modes and Pipboy Remover light are actually worth something. A mod that replaces the Pipboy light altogether with an actual flashlight would be nice.

JawKnee posted:

Even with ILO, I have no problem seeing in non-dungeon interiors, maybe you should replace your 15" CRT with a display made this century. :smug:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 9, 2015

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

I think its a bit nutty that ILO suggests that you max out your monitors contrast and brightness.

You don't do this anyway? Anything lower and Windows just looks weird to me, regardless of what monitor I'm using.

That said, out of Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Skyrim, the two Fallout games are the games that need Interior lighting overhauls the least. Most vanilla interiors look reasonably dark enough to create that dingy atmosphere and most of the bright interiors are places that still have working electricity.

I probably won't ever use ILO because the description contains this:

quote:

Q: Mod Organizer?
A: Nope.avi Use FOMM or NMM

Also some clash with the Yukichigai patch that undoes some cell changes or something. I just don't feel it's warranted enough to bother fixing this poo poo.

Fallout definitely needs an Exterior lighting overhaul though, and Fellout is perfect for that IMO.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

A lot of NV mods seem to work badly with Mod Organizer, it seems far less useful for NV than it is for Skyrim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I've had no trouble with visibility using ILO either. I also use Fellout though, which can trend a bit too dark sometimes. Then again, you're in a post-apocalyptic desert with barely any infrastructure, so it would be pretty dark outside at night, yeah?

Fellout might also have its own brightness settings unless I'm confusing it with full-on ENBs. I just keep it as is because it makes travelling after dark feel way more dangerous, and add a flashlight mod for extra effect. There's also a mod that adds a fuckton of new light sources everywhere but it feels a bit overdone to me. Personally I rather like how the added difficulty of night travel has forced me to change up my usual gameplay habits. I find myself popping Cateye that I'd normally just sell, planning rest stops more often, exploring caves and stuff after nightfall that I'd probably just wander past during the day and never go back to. Little things like that.