Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

This isn't what I asked.

Did you want specific player names?

Because I can give you list of who I consider high quality players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

jon joe posted:

Did you want specific player names?

Because I can give you list of who I consider high quality players.

if im not on it im gonna vig you

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

HiipFire posted:

if im not on it im gonna vig you

You're not on it.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
god i wish i had a vig

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Asiina posted:

Friends, before we get too into mafia, I want to talk about the mechanics and your opinions on them.

This game is great. I sat down to look for cases and my mind ended up wandering to setup strategy stuff.

I think people have been thinking a lot systems to break the game, and that's a dead end. Anything we come up with will be heard by scum and planned around. And while I acknowledge that moving the ballots is important, I think it's more important to look at the results of the night actions and their impact on the game.

I gave some thought to best-case scenarios for each team, listed by relevance:

TOWN FLAWLESS VICTORY
Doc - hits NK target
Cop - hits scum
Roleblocker - hits scum using an ability

SCUM FLAWLESS VICTORY
Doc - misses NK target
Cop - hits NK target
Roleblocker - backup in case doc/cop can't be controlled

I think that, at least on D1, sharing information about what who we intend to vote for is counterproductive, because Scum will be able to base the NK on their knowledge of who the town is going to target. In other words, keep this stuff in mind:

- it is going to be really hard to coordinate a plan where the doc protects the NK. Our best chance, in my opinion, is making scum guess who the doc target is by not saying anything.
- If scum know who the town is going to cop, they have both the roleblock and the NK to potentially make town lose the information. The most important factor regarding who to cop, in my opinion, is making sure that scum doesn't know who it's going to land on.
- Best case for D2 is we hit scum with the cop investigation (and town gets the result). There's really no way, to my knowledge, to plan around scum getting the result other than to be aware of it. Second-best is we hit town but they live; at least it provides information to help case people.

tl;dr - don't say who you're going to vote for

Hey MMM, can you put links in the OP to posts sorted by player? Not having that messes me up.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Murmur Twin posted:

- If scum know who the town is going to cop, they have both the roleblock and the NK to potentially make town lose the information.

If I may interject my opinion here:

That's why we doc the cop target, at least night 1.

Also not discussing the doc target renders the doc in control of the scum if there's at least 2 scum in there. We can protect high-value people with it. Night 1 it's the cop target. Night 2+ it's the cop target from night 1 if we got town, or some town power role who revealed.

Thank you for reading my opinion.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Hmmm, I reaaaaaally disagree with that plan.

I think we have to sacrifice unknowns in order to get more confirmed town rather than doccing and copping randomly and hoping for the best.

Remember if there's a tie then it goes to whichever ballot was submitted first. If scum end up with two ballots in the same room they will beat out the other 3 people voting randomly.

I think there's absolutely no harm in knowing the cop target as long as N1 they are protected.

Also, as I said I think openness makes sure that the roleblockers roleblock someone in their group to be sure not to hit the cop or the doc.

Yes being open lets scum know our plans, but it makes it much harder for them to go against them without being outed if everyone knows what everyone else is supposed to be doing each night. With secrecy comes zero accountability.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Asiina posted:

Hmmm, I reaaaaaally disagree with that plan.

I think we have to sacrifice unknowns in order to get more confirmed town rather than doccing and copping randomly and hoping for the best.

Remember if there's a tie then it goes to whichever ballot was submitted first. If scum end up with two ballots in the same room they will beat out the other 3 people voting randomly.

I think there's absolutely no harm in knowing the cop target as long as N1 they are protected.

Also, as I said I think openness makes sure that the roleblockers roleblock someone in their group to be sure not to hit the cop or the doc.

Yes being open lets scum know our plans, but it makes it much harder for them to go against them without being outed if everyone knows what everyone else is supposed to be doing each night. With secrecy comes zero accountability.

I agree with most of this

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

jon joe posted:

Also not discussing the doc target renders the doc in control of the scum if there's at least 2 scum in there. We can protect high-value people with it. Night 1 it's the cop target. Night 2+ it's the cop target from night 1 if we got town, or some town power role who revealed.

I'm not a fan of planning too far ahead. Unless I say otherwise, assume any strategy stuff I come with is referring to this vote only!

I am concerned that scum have abilities beyond the nightkill. I'm basing this on the fact that MMM hinted that we shouldn't claim our ballot types (as scum might be able to use the information). I'm also basing this on the existance of a RB role in a game where it's impossible to realistically guage who is going to perform the cop/doc action.

Asiina posted:

I see going into D2 with a confirmed town to be the exact middle-of-the-road scenario. Getting a confrimed scum is a lot more useful, getting no information is a lot less useful.

If we don't coordinate, and assuming random odds, we're also pretty likely to end up with a confirmed town. The only way to fall below that mark is to (a) choose to cop someone who is town and (b) have them NKed.

(:350:)

Haha I spent a good 10 minutes trying to write up my argument for why that's better than coordinating votes and I ended up convincing myself that you guys are probably right with the information that we currently have. It probably is better to just pick one person as a target and get them with both abilities.

quote:

This point keeps screwing up my math.

quote:

I didn't think of this. That should be Mac or Asiina, and based on preliminary reads / my desire to hit scum with the RB action, I'd say Mac is a safer bet for RB target.

Seconding whoever said this games' mechanics make for a fun D1.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Murmur Twin posted:

tl;dr - don't say who you're going to vote for
I appreciate the long thought out post but I think this is a really poor conclusion. Like I mentioned before, if we all cast ballots randomly, scum in their scum doc can easily coordinate their votes and carry one or more of the ballots.

I agree with what jon joe said most recently and others have said before. Doc vote and cop vote the same person on D1.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Asiina posted:

This makes sense but they would have to out themselves to do so.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

MildManeredManikin posted:

Role PMs out. Votefinder up soon. I'm still finishing the docs up so be patient.

The voting rooms are anonymous places and your pm should specify which column to post in.

Sorry, I just got back and saw the role PM, catching up now.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Fast Luck posted:

This makes sense but they would have to out themselves to do so.

Yeah, I'm advocating openness in everything.

But even if others don't want to (which I disagree with!!!!) we can still roleblock me or Mac since we know that both of us are in the roleblock room.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

wall monitor posted:

Actually question, what if there's a x-way tie for one of the roles? What happens then?

Could that happen with five in a room? Seems like bullshit for someone to deadlock the vote like that.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Byers2142 posted:

Could that happen with five in a room? Seems like bullshit for someone to deadlock the vote like that.

Keep reading. There's been a lot of theory and strategy thrown about!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

Confirming that i am vanilla town

Unless I'm mistaken, we're all vanilla town. The point of the rooms is to give everyone a say in how the powers get used, yeah?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

wall monitor posted:

A thought: should we publicly claim who we're passing ballots to? I can kind of envision scum getting their hands on the majority of ballots and then endlessly passing them around to themselves. Public ballot passing claims might keep that from happening.

Might be a bit dangerous, though, as it gives scum information about the ballots being passed around. They can set up their own passing based on what the town's doing. They can't give it to themselves, but they can try to stack the rooms in their favor.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

jon joe posted:

Once we reveal the third power, we can discuss openly in this chat who we should use what powers on, instead of just discussing in the voting room.

How is this a good idea? At all?

In a standard game, openly planning night actions is bad for town. This game is no different.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Asiina posted:

This is going to be hard to get right unless we get a bunch of confirmed towns in the doc room.

Unless you're absolutely certain that there are no scum in the doc room, you'll never have a successful doc, because they'll just kill someone else.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

jon joe posted:

This is just some setup speculation, but it's possible scum have a power role to steal a ballot during the night from its intended target by targeting the person who was holding it.

Not only that, there's the randomness of the role actor in the room. If you have two scum in the cop room, for instance, and they know the other people in the cop room, I'd kill one of the cops as scum because you lessen the chance of town getting the cop result.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

wall monitor posted:

All the tswift avatars make it hard to tell who's who.

True mafia players play with avatars off. :colbert:

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Epsilon Plus posted:

If scum are stealing ballots, they could circumvent this, though. This would be particularly lovely if the scum also had a role that let them discern what ballot someone holds (ballotcop?). More than likely, though, I'd guess all scum are vanilla but I wouldn't put money on it.

Hal's got the right idea though - if we take out the highest ranked Swifthaver, the rest will fall. ##vote wall monitor

Epsilon's vote here rubs me the wrong way; it's a clear joke vote dropped at the end of a serious post, and wall monitor already had a vote on him from earlier in joke phase. Feels forced.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Ernie. posted:

hello, i am still shaky on the mechanics

i have to give my ballot away every night, yeah?

what's stopping me from claiming who i gave it to so that once they flip scum (if they do) i become confirmed town?

is the disadvantage just that we'd have a few nights of mis-cops and mis-docs?

Revealing who you send ballots to does make sense in this context, using it as a means to track who can and can't be scum based on who the scum pass to. That's not a bad idea at all.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

wall monitor posted:

Okay after sleeping on it my thoughts:

Ballot tracking is potentially a good idea, because town generally benefits from having more information out there

Having it known who got what ballot is potentially bad, though, since scum might have powers that necessitate or work more effectively if they know who has what ballot

Any information we get is still potentially suspect since scum might have powers that affect where ballots end up, or steal them, etc?

And in any case scum can simply lie about where they sent ballots to and then claim interference if someone calls them on it, further muddying the waters.

So given the above, I'm going to say that doing any sort of immediate claiming is not in town's best interest? But doing a D1 claim two days later on D3, when the info might be useful to town but less useful to scum (since by then it's much harder to use it to determine who has what ballot right then and there) might work out better? Thoughts?

If you delay, you have people who have died in the meantime and there are gaps that scum could try to hide in. Full and immediate claims, or none at all. Those are the two ways we can go; any compromise is going to be ineffective, I think.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

jon joe posted:

Votecount in the OP, please, MMM.

Yeah, please add this MMM.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yesss, Byers is coming around to the correct side!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Asiina posted:

I would cop/doc Ernie because I think confirmed town Ernie would be very useful in this game. I would roleblock EP, I don't like his WM vote and his posting has been a little off to me. More of a gut read, but best I got for now.

I like everything here, Asiina. I'd also throw out WM as a good roleblock; his suggestions sound sincere, but if you think about them they're all built in ways that scum could exploit. Ernie pointed out one of his posts, and the one I quoted before with delayed claims is rubbing me raw the more I think about it. It's the perfect compromise for scum to suggest.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Asiina posted:

I don't like this post at all.

More and more I feel like keeping things quiet just gives scum somewhere to hide.

I also don't like how you are suggesting being closed with information but also that once it's the next day there is no issue with knowing what happened the previous day.

We don't know what powers scum have, we don't know what is or isn't important which is why I think either complete silence about who is where or complete openness is the way to go and anything else suggests outside information.

Asiina sees what I see, I think. If you don't have information shared on the day of, scum can hide the gaps in information created by dead players. Again, eitehr share everything immediately, all the time, or share nothing. Those are the two options. I find suggestions of half measures to be scum trying to form cracks they can exploit.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

wall monitor posted:

Honestly your opinion on me sounds manufactured. You disagree with my strategy, sure thing no problem. I was suggesting holding off claims till D3 because I'm paranoid about what scum can do with their knowledge, especially if we're also announcing who we passed ballots to.

Saying that I'm trying to delay claims to sabotage town... I really don't see it. If true that'd be a stupidly transparent attempt at sabotage for a one day claim delay...

It really sounds like you're trying to find something to draw suspicion to me for.

##vote Ernie

##vote wall monitor

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

jon joe posted:

I think wall monitor is genuine in this interaction.

CCKeane fanclub represent.

WM, JJ, Epi+ scum team?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Byers2142 posted:

How is this a good idea? At all?

In a standard game, openly planning night actions is bad for town. This game is no different.

Unfortunately we have no choice to openly plan, even the docs are open planning if there's even 1 scum in them.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

jon joe posted:

If I may interject my opinion here:

That's why we doc the cop target, at least night 1.

Thank you for reading my opinion.

There are three powers. The Cop power is marginal, the doc power is useless, and the roleblocker power is probably the best chance we have to stop a scum nightkill. Personally, though, I don't care about any of them, especially since we have to assume that we either use them randomly or scum will be able to know the targets and work around them.

What's important to me is the ballot passing. Ernie's idea to use it as a type of cop is great. It's why I'm drawn to agree with Asiina; we share openly about what we're doing with our ballots today.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Byers2142 posted:

What's important to me is the ballot passing. Ernie's idea to use it as a type of cop is great. It's why I'm drawn to agree with Asiina; we share openly about what we're doing with our ballots today.

Hmmm, fair. I wonder how punishing MMM made the scum ability , if any, to counter this situation, though?

If he did, I guess we're playing into it. If he didn't, we broke the game open.

:u

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

jon joe posted:

Hmmm, fair. I wonder how punishing MMM made the scum ability , if any, to counter this situation, though?

If he did, I guess we're playing into it. If he didn't, we broke the game open.

:u

I've got a question out to MMM, and once he answers I'm going to share what I'm doing with my ballot openly in the thread. I'd encourage everyone else to share the same information I do, because then we can track the ballots.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Byers2142 posted:

I've got a question out to MMM, and once he answers I'm going to share what I'm doing with my ballot openly in the thread. I'd encourage everyone else to share the same information I do, because then we can track the ballots.

When you say you plan to share openly, which of the following applies (check all that apply):

A) Your room
B) Your target
C) The person you're giving your ballot to

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

jon joe posted:

When you say you plan to share openly, which of the following applies (check all that apply):

A) Your room
B) Your target
C) The person you're giving your ballot to

A and C for sure, and more besides. B I'm still weighing in my head, but I'm inclined to say target chat should stay in the docs on the off chance we get a scum-free room, but that we need to claim the target we're voting for in the room and it should be revealed the next day. Again, so we can track discrepancies.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Byers2142 posted:

A and C for sure, and more besides. B I'm still weighing in my head, but I'm inclined to say target chat should stay in the docs on the off chance we get a scum-free room, but that we need to claim the target we're voting for in the room and it should be revealed the next day. Again, so we can track discrepancies.

Okay.

After MMM answers your question, let's have an in-thread ballot as to whether A and C is something everyone wants to reveal and why/why not. Thank you for your words, Byers. I appreciate them. :)

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Deadline is in about 24 hours. I have an irrational hatred of no-euphemism D1's and might just hammer myself rather than let D1 go without a euphemism, if it looks like it might go that way.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

wall monitor posted:

Deadline is in about 24 hours. I have an irrational hatred of no-euphemism D1's and might just hammer myself rather than let D1 go without a euphemism, if it looks like it might go that way.

Plurality vote, there will never be a no lynch this game unless we intend it to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

wall monitor posted:

Oh, is the deadline that close? Well'p.

I vote for. Little. Mac.

##vote Little Mac

What? You want a reason? Well, it's a lurker vote! Hohoho!

• Locked thread