Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Here's another one that claims to be from TCP: http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/3976101-Texas-Bowl-of-Red-Chili

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

I would still cut the amount of Chuck in 1/2 and then put in less beef broth.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

That's a lot of similar ingredients to the first recipe, but at least the quantity of beef looks a little more realistic.

I think I might have to eat some more chili from there and see if I can solve a piece of this mystery myself.

EDIT: After doing some googling, I think this recipe might be the more accurate one of the two. Would adding dark beer and/or unsweet dark chocolate to the recipe be a good idea at all?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 20, 2015

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Which is a shame, because I just finished buying most of the ingredients earlier today. :(

Thankfully, I only got about 4 pounds of the meat, since that was all the grocery store had in stock, but it really bums me out that this likely isn't the recipe I was looking for now. Although I suppose a place called the Texas CHILI Parlor wouldn't voluntarily let a recipe like that out so easily.

Still really wanna make that fuckin chili, though.

Did you try asking? In my experience restaurants have no problems giving out their recipes as it has very little to no impact.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

That's a lot of similar ingredients to the first recipe, but at least the quantity of beef looks a little more realistic.

I think I might have to eat some more chili from there and see if I can solve a piece of this mystery myself.

EDIT: After doing some googling, I think this recipe might be the more accurate one of the two. Would adding dark beer and/or unsweet dark chocolate to the recipe be a good idea at all?

You can always scale down stuff. But that first one had you seasoning 10+ lbs of meat with a teaspon of cilantro and oregano. You wouldn't taste any of that, and the tablespoon of garlic would also be pretty much undetectable with that much meat.

The second one at least sounds a bit more sane and you should try it for science.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Burnt a few of my chilis when I was roasting them, hopefully it doesn't ruin my chili. Oxtail and beef heart.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Bob Morales posted:

Burnt a few of my chilis when I was roasting them, hopefully it doesn't ruin my chili. Oxtail and beef heart.

I think the worst possible scenario there is that you will have a charred flavor in your chili. Delicious.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

THE MACHO MAN posted:

The second one at least sounds a bit more sane and you should try it for science.

I'm trying it now. It's simmering on the stove, and I still have a couple of things left to add, but so far I've added like 4 or 5 other ingredients to the recipe posted and HOLY poo poo does it taste good. I'll post what-all I added once it's finished, along with a list of other stuff I didn't add but would like to try adding, so stick around.

This one is definitely a keeper.

EDIT: This is also my first time ever making chili, so...... y'know :smug:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

How to win a midwestern bar chili cookoff:

Use hamburger
Don't make it spicy
Fucktons of tomatoes
Make it watery

This is the second time in 5 years that I've entered the chili cookoff at my local bar. I had no intentions of winning, I just went to have some chili and eat some chili and hang out. Besides, I think it's rigged because the same guy wins every year.

My not winning chili.

I heard a bunch of people say "#8 is too hot!". It wasn't even hot! I did get a few people tell me it was their favorite and the "only one with any flavor". And I smiled a bit when people went back up for a regular, non-tasting bowl. Everything else was sweet, tomatoey, one tasted like they used Chef Boyardee Ravioli sauce, some mother fucker put meatballs in their chili, someone else had so much italian sausage in theirs...

There were no white chicken chilis or venison chili like there usually is. Some weirdo put in 1" chunks of pork chops or something. Very tough.

My recipe was basically:
1 beef heart
3 oxtails (I really should have doubled or tripled this, goddamn meat on those things were delicious
1 pack of guajilos
1 pack of anchos
1 pack of californias
1 huge yellow onion
2 big diced tomatoes
1 can of pinto beans
1 can of black beans
5 fresh serranos
1 can of beef stock
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp cocoa powder
2 cloves of garlic
1 bell pepper
2 shots of cabo wabo
2 tbsp dark corn syrup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 chipotles and a spoonful of adobo sauce

big splashes of various poo poo I found in the fridge. soy sauce, a couple hot sauces

5 hours of cooking on saturday and 2 more hours on sunday

If I were to do it all over again:

A little more liquid. Another can of beans (maybe red). More oxtails or shanks. A couple fresh jalapenos. Only 1, or maybe no chipotles, or at least no sauce. It was too smoky.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 23, 2015

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Everything else was sweet, tomatoey, one tasted like they used Chef Boyardee Ravioli sauce, some mother fucker put meatballs in their chili, someone else had so much italian sausage in theirs...

Clearly you wandered into a spaghetti sauce cookoff by mistake.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
As someone who has had to (mostly) cut out peppers from his diet, I will say that when you eat spicy things even somewhat regularly you really don't get a good feel for how spicy something is to people who don't eat spicy things at all.

Like, I never would've even considered black pepper to be 'spicy' but when it's the most potent thing you are eating normally, your frame of reference skews weirdly. So something with 3 whole packs of peppers is definitely going to be too much for most of those people. 1/3 of those peppers would've probably made them uncomfortable too though.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Comic posted:

As someone who has had to (mostly) cut out peppers from his diet, I will say that when you eat spicy things even somewhat regularly you really don't get a good feel for how spicy something is to people who don't eat spicy things at all.

Like, I never would've even considered black pepper to be 'spicy' but when it's the most potent thing you are eating normally, your frame of reference skews weirdly. So something with 3 whole packs of peppers is definitely going to be too much for most of those people. 1/3 of those peppers would've probably made them uncomfortable too though.

This is absolutely true. I made some focaccia last week and told my coworker I'd bring some in for her to try since it was delicious. She ate it and told me later that it was very good and had a "heat that slowly built up" to which I agreed outwardly but was dumbfounded because I didn't add anything spicy to it at all.

Then I remembered that I gave it a very solid hit of fresh ground black pepper before baking and that's the "heat" she was noticing. To me it just tasted like freshly ground black pepper - about a .00001 on my own personal heat scale of 1-100.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

But...it was a chili cookoff.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bob Morales posted:

But...it was a chili cookoff.

I know your pain, friend. I made Iron Leg's chilli with chuck, beef heart, and chorizo for a cook-off. There was one other chilli like mine with chuck, but it was waaaayyy spicier, and kinda empty tasting. Also, had beans. Mine just had anchos and one habanero. Truely medium spice. I provided some lovely black beans and sour cream for a side.

Winner was some ground beef and bean mild thing. Second place was the fuckoff spicy one, which all the idiot bros voted for (HARDKOOORRRR). Third was the vegan chilli, which was the only one some people could eat, and made entirely with can goods.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

I'm trying it now. It's simmering on the stove, and I still have a couple of things left to add, but so far I've added like 4 or 5 other ingredients to the recipe posted and HOLY poo poo does it taste good. I'll post what-all I added once it's finished, along with a list of other stuff I didn't add but would like to try adding, so stick around.

This one is definitely a keeper.

EDIT: This is also my first time ever making chili, so...... y'know :smug:

So what did you add?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I really need to try beef heart and oxtail in chili. I'll never give up on chuck but it'd be nice to round things out with some other textures.

Can you buy beef heart at Wegmans? My local butcher runs out of hearts and ham hocks the moment he gets them, somebody in town has dibs on that poo poo.

e: I was surprised to find that Walmart had a kiosk for dried chilis. I was expecting them to be brittle as clay but I picked up an ancho and it felt like fine leather and left a little juice behind, I was amazed. About $5 a pound so 9 chilis came out to be like 66 cents.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 24, 2015

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

al-azad posted:

I really need to try beef heart and oxtail in chili. I'll never give up on chuck but it'd be nice to round things out with some other textures.

Can you buy beef heart at Wegmans? My local butcher runs out of hearts and ham hocks the moment he gets them, somebody in town has dibs on that poo poo.

I literally get mine from the dog food section of a local fancy grocery store, I've never seen it anywhere else for sale.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

LorrdErnie posted:

I literally get mine from the dog food section of a local fancy grocery store, I've never seen it anywhere else for sale.

!! Is it frozen/chilled or vacuum sealed like you're actually talking about pet food, right?

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

al-azad posted:

!! Is it frozen/chilled or vacuum sealed like you're actually talking about pet food, right?

It is literally just a frozen beef heart from antibiotic-free cattle but because this is America they assume people don't eat organ meat. They also have dirt cheap beef liver in the same freezer.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bob Morales posted:

1 pack of guajilos
1 pack of anchos
1 pack of californias

Those are all mild chilies but what size is a "pack" in your area? Here a pack could be anywhere from 3 chilies to dozens.

Also I'm going to find a source for beef hearts and oxtails.

As mentioned awhile back, my daughter's school was going to have a chili cookoff but the weather was too cold. I might revive the idea come spring. I suspect it might end up similar to your bar chili cookoff with lots of hamburger chili, or maybe I will be surprised being a private school with a number of ethnicities.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

4-5 chilis in each pack. I find my heart at the end section of the beef cooler at meijer with the tails and shanks

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

al-azad posted:

e: I was surprised to find that Walmart had a kiosk for dried chilis. I was expecting them to be brittle as clay but I picked up an ancho and it felt like fine leather and left a little juice behind, I was amazed. About $5 a pound so 9 chilis came out to be like 66 cents.

I don't know what town you live in, but around here the local Wegmans' don't sell organ meats at all. Or at least, not beef organs. Oddly/sadly, organ meat is more expensive than the actual meat in my town. And that's saying something, considering the cheapest ground beef is almost $4/lb, and anything cheaper must be bought in giant gently caress-off bulk packs that cost like $30 each. I've been to the local butchers, and they're way more expensive than the large chain grocers as well, which is just rear end-backwards to me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I ask about Wegmans because their website lists beef heart but there's no way to know without checking them out. I am lucky enough to have incredibly well stocked Asian and Mexican groceries in town. The Mexican grocery is the only place I know in town to get beef tongue so they might have hearts and the Asian grocery carries everything from lamb brains to wood worms so they're my last resort.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

neogeo0823 posted:

Oddly/sadly, organ meat is more expensive than the actual meat in my town. And that's saying something, considering the cheapest ground beef is almost $4/lb

what the goddamn hell. I live in Alberta and beef is like 6-8 bucks a pound here. I buy mine from the farmers market and pay $9/lb.

wormil posted:

but the weather was too cold.

Was it to be held outside or something?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Echeveria posted:

what the goddamn hell. I live in Alberta and beef is like 6-8 bucks a pound here. I buy mine from the farmers market and pay $9/lb.

Was it to be held outside or something?

Alberta has some of the cheapest beef anywhere. I'm in Ottawa and the usual price for a pack of regular ground beef at my grocery store is 8.80/kg. There could be some market pressure in here because there's a higher kosher/halal population, and pork is always cheaper, but that can't explain it all.

So I eat a lot of chicken and pork.

And guess what - beef tongue is close to $20/kg now! Liver and kidney are more expensive than ground beef, too.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

kaujot posted:

So what did you add?

Another 2 teaspoons of salt beyond what the recipe called for, plus...

1/2 bar unsweetened dark chocolate (100% cacao)
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp Cholula hot sauce

... before the simmering phase. Then while I was adding the masa, I used 12 oz Shiner Bohemian Black Lager beer instead of water to de-thicken the chili.

The masa ended up loving the flavor and I was a little pissed about that, and it didn't really seem to do anything to the thickness of the chili, but apart from that it came out pretty good. The only other problem was that a lot of the chili stuck to the bottom/sides of the pot and hardened while it was simmering; wonder if next time I should stir it occasionally during the simmer so that doesn't happen.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Another 2 teaspoons of salt beyond what the recipe called for, plus...

1/2 bar unsweetened dark chocolate (100% cacao)
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp Cholula hot sauce

... before the simmering phase. Then while I was adding the masa, I used 12 oz Shiner Bohemian Black Lager beer instead of water to de-thicken the chili.

The masa ended up loving the flavor and I was a little pissed about that, and it didn't really seem to do anything to the thickness of the chili, but apart from that it came out pretty good. The only other problem was that a lot of the chili stuck to the bottom/sides of the pot and hardened while it was simmering; wonder if next time I should stir it occasionally during the simmer so that doesn't happen.

yes, you do need to stir occasionaly...also, anything that thickens the stuff up, needs to be added late(r) in the cooking process.

btw, it sounds a bit like a chocolate corn soup, wasn't that way too much chocolate?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

paraquat posted:

yes, you do need to stir occasionaly...also, anything that thickens the stuff up, needs to be added late(r) in the cooking process.

btw, it sounds a bit like a chocolate corn soup, wasn't that way too much chocolate?

It was 100% unsweetened, but yeah, I do remember thinking after I added the second quarter that I should've stuck to 1/4 of a bar.

It was actually more meat than anything else. And it tasted BOMB DIGGITY...... until I added that loving masa. I think next time I'll cut the amount of masa by at least half. The chili was already pretty loving thick when I added it, though, so I kinda wonder if I even need the masa at all.

EDIT: Also thinking about adding bacon. Yay or nay?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I love the flavor that a little bit of masa adds. I wouldn't skip that part, just lower the quantity added.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Some of you might remember my post in this thread whining about how my wife wanted to make soy chorizo chili. Well, after that and a (really decent, admittedly) batch of white chicken chili, I've twisted her arm enough to let me make some traditional beef chili tomorrow night. :dance:

I'm planning on making the recipe that Iron Leg posted on the first page of the thread. I'm even making my own drat chili powder for the first time. I went out and bought a bag each of pasilla, ancho, and guajillo peppers. Unfortunately, the area I live in is sorely devoid of hispanic ethnic stores, and no one else except the solitary Price Right carries dried peppers, and that was the entire breadth of their variety. I've never had pasilla or guajillo peppers before, so would someone be able to fill me in on how they taste and give me a general guideline on what ratio I should follow? I'm thinking use the pasillas as a base, and add a bit less ancho and even less guajillo. Does that sound way off to anyone?

As for liquid add-ins, I'm going to skip the coca-cola and go with Trader Joes chocolate stout. Should be good, and I'll have some leftover to drink while I'm making this. Other than that, I'll be adding pinto and red kidney beans, like a heathen, because those are cheap and will bulk up the meal a lot more. Hopefully it turns out well.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I made iron Leg's chili recipe last night, with just a couple of slight tweaks. I looked through his post history and realized that he used to have pictures, which have since gone dead, so here's mine for those that want to enjoy.

Here's everything all piled up on my messy-rear end crowded kitchen table:

For the most part, I followed Iron Leg's recipe to a T. Probably the biggest change I did was ditching the coca-cola and using Trader Joes chocolate stout for the beer/soda portion.

I made my own chili powder using 6 Anchos, 4 Pasillas, and 2 Guajillos.

I followed the GWSWiki post about chili powder, and added in a pinch of salt and a decent amount of Trader Joes smoke seasoning. The resulting powder was coarse, smokey, spicy, and had a good touch of heat that slowly built up in your mouth.

I also quick-cooked about a pound of a 50/50 mix of red kidney beans and pinto beans, because the meat for this meal cost us quite a bit and I needed to bulk it up and make it last. I don't have pictures of that, but you can imagine it pretty easily. Other than these changes, I followed the recipe exactly.

By now, most of you should know the drill.

Brown the beef,

Sear the sausage, over the onion,

toss everything else into the pot,

and bring to boil, reduce to a simmer, and let it go. "Unfortunately", I had a small emergency come up as I was just getting this thing going, and as a result it was cooked weirdly. I simmered it for an hour, and then it had to sit on the stove over night, about 8 hours, and then I was able to simmer it again for another hour in the morning. While it was sitting, the lid was on it, but it did evaporate and caramelize quite a bit on that last hour of cooking. Enough that I felt the need to add about a cup of water back into the dish after that last hour of simmering. You might have noticed that I put the word 'unfortunately' in quotes. That's because I'm not sure if it took away from, or contributed to, the flavor of the dish somehow.

Either way, the net result is, well,

loving fantastic. The heat mellowed out to a smoulder, that builds up to a nice warmth as you go. You can taste the notes of chocolate with every bite, and the whole thing has a deep, rich quality to it from the caramelization. Everything is tender, melt-in-your-mouth goodness that, frankly, I don't want to run out of any time soon. Far and away better than any chili I've had in the last year.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
I got 4lb of chuck for 1.99/lb that's way way way more marbled than it has any right to be so tomorrow is loving chili time. i got some andouille and chorizo too which I'm thinking I'll grill , slice, and toss in. I picked up a case of taddy porter so i'll use some of that too and make it hot enough to melt your dick off because spice owns and ghost peppers rule and have amazing fruity smoky flavor. beyond ghost peppers those moruga scorpions and poo poo are where things get disgusting and bitter and are pepper sperg/e-peen youtuber territory as far as i'm concerned

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
chili is in the oven right now @ 275, hopefully that's not too hot. consistency is just a little above where i want it so i'll pop the lid off 2 hours in . made chili paste with 4 dried guajillo, 4 ancho, a handful of arboles, 2 bhut jolokia, and a whole can of 11oz chipotles because i loving love chipotles. plus 4 heaping tbsp of my chili powder bloomed with a shitload of onion and garlic and 1 tbsp of spanish hot smoked paprika (i bring back like 500g every time i'm in málaga lol). meats are 2lb well marbled chuck, 1lb linguica, 1lb andouille, 1.5lb chorizo. dumped in a newcastle brown and a bunch of beef stock with some msg and fish sauce. sample taste when i put it in the oven was loving great

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 3, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

About ready to try this one again.

Someone earlier commented that this recipe looked like it called for too much beef — I actually used about half a pound of beef MORE than what the recipe said to use, and the chili came out great. It was like a super thick stew that was heavily beef-based instead of liquid-based, and used a combination of flour, spices, and beef broth to achieve a soupy consistency, which I liked a lot.

This time, though, I want to tweak the recipe a little by adding some beans (YEAH I'M PUTTING BEANS IN TEXAS CHILI WHAT OF IT) to act as a filler ingredient, so it'll have something in it besides just tons of meat. Not too many beans, mind you; just enough that there's maybe two or three beans per spoonful of chili when I'm eating it. I'm also gonna add some lean bacon to see if it affects the flavor.

So, now I need advice on what kinds of beans to add. I was thinking maybe a combination of black beans and whatever kind of bean is normally used to make Tex-Mex style pinto beans, but what kind would you guys suggest?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
If you insist on putting beans in chili, red kidney beans are the only acceptable choice.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I'm always a fan of black beans in chili. You're probably looking for just pinto beans or 'red beans'.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Doom Rooster posted:

If you insist on putting beans in chili, red kidney beans are the only acceptable choice.

Completely incorrect. Kidney beans are clearly inferior in flavour and authenticity to pinto beans.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

This time, though, I want to tweak the recipe a little by adding some beans (YEAH I'M PUTTING BEANS IN TEXAS CHILI WHAT OF IT) to act as a filler ingredient, so it'll have something in it besides just tons of meat. Not too many beans, mind you; just enough that there's maybe two or three beans per spoonful of chili when I'm eating it.

So, now I need advice on what kinds of beans to add.

I don't generally like beans, but black beans worked great in my last batch as a filler ingredient without polluting (those of you who like beans would say "enhancing") the flavor at all. My reason behind doing so was exactly yours.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 8, 2015

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I use black beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Black, kidney, red, and pinto are all good. I've even in a pinch had success with various mixes which include small white beans.