Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
The game almost screwed me over on my last Samson run. I was building up Samson's stats, and had a very good thing going on (two Guppy items, Dark Bum, Little Chad, Jera rune, full set of spirit hearts, and quite good rate of tears and damage). Then I enter the womb and it's the curse of the maze. I enter a double key room and it's an One Dice. I definitely don't want to reroll my whole run, so I leave. A couple of rooms later the curse decides to teleport me to the double key room and I walk like an idiot into the middle of it and reroll the run anyway to an Ipecac, triple shot, loki's horn, anti-gravity and strange attractor tears with 3 normal hearts and a few spirit hearts (lost my Polaroid invincibility and lost all spirit hearts before the It lives fight).

It almost hosed up the entire run, until I realized two floors later (at the Cathedral) that I have Pyromaniac as well and the ipecac explosions (which were all over the place and I was trying to avoid, dodging into enemies as a result) heal me. The rest of the run became this majestic thing of explosions everywhere in every room. Isaac and Blue baby had no chance :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If anyone's wanting to practice a Lost run, I just had a run with the Dead Cat (you have to kill the miniboss tho, I think it's Super Lust?) on the first floor and the Holy Mantle on the second. Be careful of the upper right item drop in the boss rush, it's Anti Grav. That made things pretty irritating afterwards, but the reward for completing the rush is the Plinking Shears so it was definitely worth it.

R31L
878J

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Yaaay, I tried colliding with Satan directly, and The Lost unlocked this time.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Manatee Cannon posted:

Plinking Shears

Is this some kind of inside joke, or are people just retarded and illiterate? This is not the first time I've seen this and it's driving me crazy.

Pinking shears are the toothed shears used for fabric and possibly something else.

Plinking, with an L, is priority linking, a thing that abuses the lovely coding of SFIV to make links easier.

For the love of god people LEARN THE loving NAMES Of your items.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Gibbo posted:

Is this some kind of inside joke, or are people just retarded and illiterate? This is not the first time I've seen this and it's driving me crazy.

Pinking shears are the toothed shears used for fabric and possibly something else.

Plinking, with an L, is priority linking, a thing that abuses the lovely coding of SFIV to make links easier.

Quoted for posterity, and also because plinking has its own English definition that isn't whatever weird sperg language you're using. Maybe it is you who is are illiterate

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ah yes, consistently misspelling one word that looks similar to another word because of a letter that looks similar to another letter, means you are retarded and illiterate. Thanks goon hyperbole.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
'plink' is the onomatopoeia of flicking a nerd's glasses off his face.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Prop Wash posted:

Quoted for posterity, and also because plinking has its own English definition that isn't whatever weird sperg language you're using. Maybe it is you who is are illiterate

So it does, but that point being is that the other uses of the word plinking don't involve shears.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gibbo posted:

So it does, but that point being is that the other uses of the word plinking don't involve shears.

And as we all know that's a perfectly logical reason to be a dipshit and call people retarded

I'm gonna refer to the Pinking Shears as the Plinking Shears from now on just to make you mad

edit: vvv pot calls kettle black news at 11 :rolleyes:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 8, 2015

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

CJacobs posted:

And as we all know that's a perfectly logical reason to be a dipshit and call people retarded

I'm gonna refer to the Pinking Shears as the Plinking Shears from now on just to make you mad

:goonsay:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Keep digging that hole deeper, dude, maybe there's still a single person who doesn't find you ridiculous

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

flatluigi posted:

Keep digging that hole deeper, dude, maybe there's still a single person who doesn't find you ridiculous

As if I care what you think. Excuse me while I go condition my neckbeard. I retain the right to refer to someone that can't transcribe the name of something they regularly see spelled in front of them as an idiot.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 8, 2015

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Gibbo posted:

As if I care what of think. Excuse me while I go condition my neckbeard. I retain the right to refer to someone that can't transcribe the name of something they regularly see spelled in front of them as an idiot.

Yeah, why should you care "what of think" when someone makes a spelling or grammar mistake? :v:

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

:iceburn:

Welp.

(Except that use of plinking was not a one off)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Gibbo posted:

You're a human being

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I for one love the plinking sheers and keep them over pretty much every use item. makes a ton of bosses 2EZ

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

I for one love the plinking sheers and keep them over pretty much every use item. makes a ton of bosses 2EZ

Yeah I totally underrated them at first but it's crazy high damage, it seems like the damaging 6-charge items are really poorly balanced in general because some of them are like "instantly kill a boss" (krampus head, plinking shears) and then you have Crack the Sky.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Yeah, Plinking Shears are fun. How are the Scissors? I haven't gotten 100 deaths yet, but they don't sound great.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I don't like the Sclissors as much as I do the Plinking Shears, they're harder to navigate successfully for me.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Wait, don't tell me the Sclissors work like the Gluillotine. They seriously made that the 100 death prize instead of the Plinking Shears?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

The scissors works kind of like the guillotine, only you're not moving both parts. Your head sits in place and you run around controlling the body.

I've managed to get Body, Mind and Soul, all in my item list without finding a single one. D100 and the Missingno or whichever rerolls your items.

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
For best results use the Plinking Shears on the boss rush. That little guy is like a murderous energizer bunny.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i hate how my plinko shears keep falling into the hole that doesn't win the game and makes bob barker heckle me

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
The plinking shears seem really hard to balance. At the 6 room charge they have now, I rarely want to take them. But I think making it even 4 would be overpowered.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I only ever activate the Plinking Shears in boss rooms, but that's good enough for me.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
I initially got mad at people mis-pronouncing synthol until I realised the game really did call it synthoil after all.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Guys for fucks sake it's spelled Pllinking

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Wow 30+ posts in the Isaac thread? Maybe there was an Afterbirth tease or something!

Oh.

Plinking

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I was the Plinko Shears. I want the Binding of the Price Is Right.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Finding Stleven is the only thing between me and Rleal Pllatinum Glod.

This is going to take me all year of resetting the game after Basement II, isn't it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

IMJack posted:

This is going to take me all year of resetting the game after Basement II, isn't it.

Use Azazel and just rush to the boss. If it isn't Steven, reset. If you get the Cellar, reset since Steven doesn't appear there.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
He can only appear in Basement 1 so no need to beat any other boss.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
The ideal thing to find in the Item Room is Little Steve, if you're hunting for the Steven item. Isn't necessary, but does basically guarantee the item should Steven (the boss) appear. Otherwise, you're facing 1/6 odds even if he does show up.

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

IMJack posted:

Could be worse: my last item was 1up mushroom.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
It's not all that hard to get an infinite reroll setup and find the secret room in the chest, Steven exists in exactly one room in the game and it's on basement 1 only.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

https://gfycat.com/TimelyWanFirecrest

Tiny Planet was the first item. I had my doubts, but I was rewarded.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Codiekitty posted:

Yaaay, I tried colliding with Satan directly, and The Lost unlocked this time.

Uggh, goddammit, I forgot about this and just failed to unlock him. Shots on the second form don't count I guess.

Edit: You'd think this would be mentioned on the wiki, at least.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 9, 2015

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Panko Shears kinda seem like a cheese move against the big bosses, I personally like them the most against dual Monstro 2/The Cage-type bosses with a metric shitton of health.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

ConorT posted:

Could be worse: my last item was 1up mushroom.

Ugh I'm dealing with that right now. In hundreds of games I haven't seen it at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Rollersnake posted:

Uggh, goddammit, I forgot about this and just failed to unlock him. Shots on the second form don't count I guess.

They do, that's how I've unlocked the Lost twice.