Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
They have showers, and I think the nearest hotel is blythe. Camping is the way to go if you're spending the whole weekend. We had like 5 people sleeping in the enclosed car trailer when I went (it had AC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

jamal posted:

They have showers, and I think the nearest hotel is blythe. Camping is the way to go if you're spending the whole weekend. We had like 5 people sleeping in the enclosed car trailer when I went (it had AC).

Good to know. NASA AZ does events out at Chuckwalla at least once/year but I don't have a toybox trailer. I just wanted to understand how people sort lodging.

When I have a little money to throw at something... I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a E46 M3 track car like this:
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/2002-bmw-e46-m3-trackcar-or-how-to-screw-up-a-dece/88751/page1/

Either that or, if my DD E46 wagon gets totaled, I'm going to buy a wrecked E46 M3 and swap everything over. I'd love to have a wagon as a track car, it's honestly wonderful to be able to drive to events.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Stardotstar posted:

Either that or, if my DD E46 wagon gets totaled, I'm going to buy a wrecked E46 M3 and swap everything over. I'd love to have a wagon as a track car, it's honestly wonderful to be able to drive to events.

Wagons are the best track cars if you're not towing it.
Wheels and tires and tools in the back is easy. Plus you can sleep in the back in a pinch or between run groups. Also, it is basically automotive trolling.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nm posted:

Wagons are the best track cars if you're not towing it.
Wheels and tires and tools in the back is easy. Plus you can sleep in the back in a pinch or between run groups. Also, it is basically automotive trolling.

Speaking of Chuckwalla and wagons, there was a nice Imola E46 wagon on BBS wheels with ZHP bodywork at the house at Chuckwalla today.

Also, that is my new favorite track. Very favorable to carrying massive amounts of corner speed.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Oof. 90lbs underweight. Is plate steel the way to go for ballast? I can very easily mount some plate steel to the OEM bolt holes for the passenger seat. The plan is to make a knockoff of this: http://blog.miataracer.com/2012/04/making-weight-on-spec-miata-east-street.html.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 8, 2015

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Speaking of Chuckwalla and wagons, there was a nice Imola E46 wagon on BBS wheels with ZHP bodywork at the house at Chuckwalla today.

Also, that is my new favorite track. Very favorable to carrying massive amounts of corner speed.

I've never driven it and was looking at the track map imagining a 40 ft wide track with no hairpins. Looks like so much fun. Did you have a favorite corner or complex?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

If you're going clockwise, 11-12 is a pretty fun mini corkscrew then it hits the banked 13, wee

Dang now I wanna go to Chuckwalla again

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 8, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'll upload a video of a lap in my last couple of sessions.

8-9-10 is cool because you head up a hill in 8, crest at 9 offcamber, and drop into 10 blind.

The entrance to 11 is at the crest of a hill and when you reach the top you see the other riders going around the bowl at 13 in the distance and nothing in between - ultra loving cool. 12 is a downhill corkscrew kinda thing.

13 is the bowl which is fun to carry massive corner speed while being WOT throughout.

I was late apexing 16 and treating 17 as a straight while clipping very close the curbing - ran right over it one lap and got massive headshake. :v:

4-5 I treated as one corner, lots of lean angle. I was dragging kickstand early in the day, which I've never done before. Had my suspension set up and all was well, but still, most lean angle and for the longest amount of time for me at any track.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

What is a reasonably priced tyre pressure gauge? Easy to read, flexible hose, and decent accuracy is all I ask.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011

Laserface posted:

What is a reasonably priced tyre pressure gauge? Easy to read, flexible hose, and decent accuracy is all I ask.

I love my joes racing. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0040...i=AC_SY200_QL40

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

If anyone else is in the Minnesota area, I'm going up to Brainerd for track days on May 4 and May 31. The 4th is an HPDE run by BIR, the 31st is a Slowpokes event. The friend I usually do track days with sold his car, so I'll be heading up by myself all this year. I'm shooting for six events this summer.

Yup, this thing's great and even has a pressure release button. Non-mobile link.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Speaking of tire pressure, my Joes gauge was not reading from 1 tire and sometimes reading from another, I thought it was the gauge but upon closer inspection I figured out the stems not working had little o-rings in them, the stems that worked had those missing. Do I need them in there?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
For those of you that saw our MR2 run at Road America in October of 2014 you may have noted how slow 130k mile 1500cc MK1 MR2 can be.
BEAMS will hopefully be ready for April.
PM if you want to show up and say Hi at the Low Farm pit so I know what Fedora and Trench-coat combo you may be wearing.
Typically with us if you introduce yourself and need help with something (parts, welding, oh shits!) we will see what we can do.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Passed NASA comp school and did my first two races. Forgetting everything I learned in HPDEs and saying 'gently caress the guy behind me' is kinda hard. I also set a new PB at VIR during qualifying. 1.1s better than my old time with 100 extra lbs of ballast in the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_Ygy_egE3Q

Just need to work on 'not being slow as poo poo' and finish prepping the car.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone have anything to say re: ST coilovers? For a 2007 VW GTI that will be tracked and autox'd. TIA.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

It's a decent shock, basically a KW V1, and not one of those super stiff, no-travel setups, but you get no adjustment and they aren't really rebuild-able like the v2/v3/clubsport etc. Rear spring rates tend to be a little soft, especially for track/auto-x. Those plus swaybars and a decent alignment I think would be pretty acceptable for everything you want to do though without spending a bunch of money. I'm probably going to put STs on my car pretty soon because my struts are getting old and the ride is a little harsh, and the price is right.

Koni shock sale is going on a little while longer, but even with that they are still a little less than konis plus a ground control kit. Also I can get all this stuff (minus GC) if you're looking for pricing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

jamal posted:

It's a decent shock, basically a KW V1, and not one of those super stiff, no-travel setups, but you get no adjustment and they aren't really rebuild-able like the v2/v3/clubsport etc. Rear spring rates tend to be a little soft, especially for track/auto-x. Those plus swaybars and a decent alignment I think would be pretty acceptable for everything you want to do though without spending a bunch of money. I'm probably going to put STs on my car pretty soon because my struts are getting old and the ride is a little harsh, and the price is right.

Koni shock sale is going on a little while longer, but even with that they are still a little less than konis plus a ground control kit. Also I can get all this stuff (minus GC) if you're looking for pricing.

Thanks. If you can somehow beat $750 CAD for the ST's shipped into Vancouver let me know but it seems like a really unbeatable price.

I'd like to put more money into the suspension at a later date but I have a track day coming up in April and the car just doesn't feel safe with the stock suspension. Also coming from that 98 STI I'm feeling way down on power and want to save some money for a stg 1 flash as well. Thanks as always for the help.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Nope, they cost me more than that with the current exchange rate. About the best I could manage is that in USD to the border.

If an American company quoted you that I have a hard time believing they aren't losing money, or maybe calculated the exchange rate wrong. That's only $600 right now.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 25, 2015

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

FatCow posted:

Passed NASA comp school and did my first two races. Forgetting everything I learned in HPDEs and saying 'gently caress the guy behind me' is kinda hard. I also set a new PB at VIR during qualifying. 1.1s better than my old time with 100 extra lbs of ballast in the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_Ygy_egE3Q

Just need to work on 'not being slow as poo poo' and finish prepping the car.

Nice job, actual racing competition is awesome.

I was looking into what kind of lap times my go kart can punch out at VIR, and found some guys doing 2:12's in them, which is pretty wild.

Here's me blasting around here in oz.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

jamal posted:

Nope, they cost me more than that with the current exchange rate. About the best I could manage is that in USD to the border.

If an American company quoted you that I have a hard time believing they aren't losing money, or maybe calculated the exchange rate wrong. That's only $600 right now.

It's a local shop clearing them out and it's a deal for a local VW forum. If they weren't on sale I'd be looking at another setup.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

VelociBacon posted:

I'd like to put more money into the suspension at a later date but I have a track day coming up in April and the car just doesn't feel safe with the stock suspension. Also coming from that 98 STI I'm feeling way down on power and want to save some money for a stg 1 flash as well. Thanks as always for the help.

I'd honestly recommend you try a track day with the stock suspension. I took my A3 with sport suspension (same as yours) out and while you'll be doing a lot of tragic understeering I wouldn't call it dangerous. The only thing to worry about is that if you get one rear wheel off the ground on a hard corner it can tend to oversteer a little which is a little unexpected from a FWD car.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

8ender posted:

I'd honestly recommend you try a track day with the stock suspension. I took my A3 with sport suspension (same as yours) out and while you'll be doing a lot of tragic understeering I wouldn't call it dangerous. The only thing to worry about is that if you get one rear wheel off the ground on a hard corner it can tend to oversteer a little which is a little unexpected from a FWD car.

I understand what you're saying but this won't be my first track day and I really would feel more comfortable without the body roll. Don't get me wrong, I still plan on going even if I can't get on coilovers in time.

I actually found a line on some bilsteins (b14) with 10k on them so hopefully that works out.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

VelociBacon posted:

I understand what you're saying but this won't be my first track day and I really would feel more comfortable without the body roll. Don't get me wrong, I still plan on going even if I can't get on coilovers in time.

I actually found a line on some bilsteins (b14) with 10k on them so hopefully that works out.

Fair enough. I didn't realize you'd been out with it before and wanted to be reassuring. First time I went out I was on nearly bald snow tires which I turned to dust :v:

If you do find some new parts please report back. The suspension on the A3 is starting to feel worn and I've been hunting around for an upgrade myself.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

8ender posted:

Fair enough. I didn't realize you'd been out with it before and wanted to be reassuring. First time I went out I was on nearly bald snow tires which I turned to dust :v:

If you do find some new parts please report back. The suspension on the A3 is starting to feel worn and I've been hunting around for an upgrade myself.

I haven't been out with this specific car yet. I'll let you know what I find.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
First track day of the year is coming up for me (TrackDaze open track at summit point, wv).

What is on your checklist of things to do before heading to the track? I check fluids and pressures and clean all the loose objects out of the car but I was wondering if there is anything I'm missing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

eriddy posted:

First track day of the year is coming up for me (TrackDaze open track at summit point, wv).

What is on your checklist of things to do before heading to the track? I check fluids and pressures and clean all the loose objects out of the car but I was wondering if there is anything I'm missing.

Brake fluid change, pad check/swap with track day pads, and all the other stuff you mentioned.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is it worth having a set of rotors to go with track pads?

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Laserface posted:

Yes, the pads bed onto the rotors so just have a set that goes with them. You don't need fancy rotors either, unless you are heating and beating the hell out of them. For my Miata I just have a set of Hawk Blues and some NAPA rotors with 3 track days on them.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Honestly I don't bother. Track pads are basically brake lathes when cold. Swap them on the day before, by the time I get to the track the street transfer layer is gone. They bed in within a session. Then drive home and it wears off the track pad layer. I use OEM pads for the street which don't really need a bedding in.

But I do that because my m3 requires removing the calipers to swap rotors. If you don't have to do that, absolutely buy a cheap set of centric blanks for the track.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Laserface posted:

I think so. On my car, it's only an extra two bolts to swap the rotors out when I'm changing the pads anyway. Seems worth it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Crustashio posted:

But I do that because my m3 requires removing the calipers to swap rotors. If you don't have to do that, absolutely buy a cheap set of centric blanks for the track.
I can't think of a way you wouldn't have to do that. Usually it's just two big bolts.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

eriddy posted:

Fluids, tire pressure, brake pad and rotor wear, tire wear bar status, visible rubber bushings/connections in the suspension. Remove everything from the car. Clean windshield, rear-view, and side mirrors spotless.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

edit: nm

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

jamal posted:

I can't think of a way you wouldn't have to do that. Usually it's just two big bolts.

Err, yeah I meant caliper mounts themselves which are annoying on my e36 and I had an incident with not retightening correctly (luckily not AT the track), so I stopped removing them. Never had any weird bedding issues since.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Will be doing this thing: CHUMPCar - Landjaeger Classic @ Road America - 04/18,19

Low Farm Racing - Car #378 - 1986 Toyota MR2

If you wish to chat me up look for the tallest guy in the pit for our team that is not driving.

We are AKA Slow Farm Racing on FB.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
We will be there as well, #87 Butter My Waffle, 1992 e36 325i. I'll know this afternoon for sure but we are likely going to be very short staffed so I was thinking about pleading here for help in the pits.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

In case anyone else is in my general area, reg is still open for our first 2015 track day, it's at Mission Raceway, just outside of Vancouver BC and it's happening April 26th/2015.

It's a pretty good shakedown track, slow by comparison to a lot of others but it's a great track to work on agility.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

User Error posted:

We will be there as well, #87 Butter My Waffle, 1992 e36 325i. I'll know this afternoon for sure but we are likely going to be very short staffed so I was thinking about pleading here for help in the pits.

quotin myself:

We finished! We spent more time in the pits than we should have due to a couple of stupid issues, but we didn't crash it or blow up the motor. Road America is a loving awesome track. A friend of mine who helped crew our last race came through at the last minute, and I recruited a local SCCA guy and dragged along my roommate. I'm annoyed with myself for not prepping the car better but I couldn't have asked for better weather, a better track, or a better crew.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That's awesome man. I'd love to get into some pacific NW chumpcar action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parid
Mar 18, 2004
For west coast crap can, check out Lucky Dog Racing. Just started up and already has decent schedule posted for this year. Experienced locals will recognize most of the staff. More sensible rules and customer service than chumpcar but similar goals.

Also mexico Rosarita Beach street circuit on Halloween :). Sounds like a heck of a party.

parid fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 21, 2015