Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

grrarg posted:

The stronghold looked awesome in the presentation. The list of upgrades to build kept going and going.

The audience questions were eye-rollingly bad, even by convention standards. The "content creator" streamer. :v:

The only thing I didn't like about the stronghold is that apparently you get it halfway through the game? I thought you got it a lot earlier than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The only thing I didn't like about the stronghold is that apparently you get it halfway through the game? I thought you got it a lot earlier than that.

I don't know; I'd rather get it halfway through and have it slightly more content dense rather than have it be stretched thin the entire game.

I'm sure there's other stuff to do before that midway point.

a slim pixie
Dec 29, 2008

an earworm burrowed into my frontal lobe

Since the critical path is 25-33% of total content, you can likely get to it quickly if you ignore a lot of sidequests.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't spend too much time in the Hinterlands.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Crotch posted:

What a weird (and bad for playing) design choice that whole thing was.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

The Crotch posted:

But... I need more iron.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Drifter posted:

Half the reason to play these games is for the character interactions. Good god, man.

Honestly I found the characters in Baldur's gate and Baldur's gate 2 mostly pretty dire. I realise I am in a minority on this tho!

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
How old were you when you played them though? IMO the BGs were aimed at a younger audience. loving loved that poo poo when I was younger but I don't play those games for the NPCs anymore. When I was a teenager I didn't like Edwin very much, but on my more recent playthroughs I've been using him, Viconia, Korgan etc instead.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah, all the people who think Sera is terrible better not still think Minsc is the bomb.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
It's Jan the gnome who has aged the poorest. At least Minsc doesn't say a lot and will bond with Aerie (and will berserk when Korgan kills her) which is cool. But Jan is obnoxious, useless, and just talks and talks and talks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm replaying (well, playing for the first time) BG 1 right now (I'd played BG 2 when it came out years ago).

So far Minsc is entertaining either way. The only really jarring note has been the priestess of the "Bitch Queen."

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

MartianAgitator posted:

It's Jan the gnome who has aged the poorest. At least Minsc doesn't say a lot and will bond with Aerie (and will berserk when Korgan kills her) which is cool. But Jan is obnoxious, useless, and just talks and talks and talks.
Could be worse. Could be the gnome thing from DA:O.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
There was a gnome thing in DAO?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Jan is actually way better than Minsc in every way. (Except for actual usefulness in combat.)

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Sensuki posted:

How old were you when you played them though? IMO the BGs were aimed at a younger audience. loving loved that poo poo when I was younger but I don't play those games for the NPCs anymore. When I was a teenager I didn't like Edwin very much, but on my more recent playthroughs I've been using him, Viconia, Korgan etc instead.

I was 11 or 12 when I played BG1 (in French!) and maybe 15 when I played BG2? I just remember hating Imoen. A lot. HE CEST MOI IMOEN

And then most of the other characters were either stupid (minsc) or boring (khalid) - at least to my brief impression before I abandoned them. Plus I remember when I discovered that you shared XP I was shocked, appalled etc. MY XP! MINE!

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jackard posted:

There was a gnome thing in DAO?
Either he's thinking of Sandal or he's talking about NWN2.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MartianAgitator posted:

I don't think Jan could age poorly since he was already received awfully at the time. I've been lead to believe he's this really weird meta call out, semi troll, of pnp groups attracting an impenetrably quixotic sperg who inevitably plays a gnome tinker that noone can figure out what he's actually doing or why he's come along with the group to begin with.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Nah that was Gromnir (who's still around)

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

So far Minsc is entertaining either way. The only really jarring note has been the priestess of the "Bitch Queen."

Really? I always liked "The Bitch Queen brooks no insolence" line.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

The Crotch posted:

Either he's thinking of Sandal or he's talking about NWN2.
Yeah I meant NWN2. I failed my brain->typing check.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Basic Chunnel posted:

Nah that was Gromnir (who's still around)
Different sort of sperg call out.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Who could ever dislike Minsc, he had a space hamster! Seriously its been years since I've played the games what the gently caress was that hamster about.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

StoneOfShame posted:

Who could ever dislike Minsc, he had a space hamster! Seriously its been years since I've played the games what the gently caress was that hamster about.

He was a brain damaged Ranger with a heart of gold. Like literally brain damaged they are not subtle about him receiving very recent blows to the head when you recruit him.

That's it. That's the joke.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

StoneOfShame posted:

Giant Space Hamsters were a thing from Spelljammer, intelligent livestock farmed by space gnomes (naturally). I think the miniature variety were mentioned offhand in the book but Bioware might have made them up.

But in answer to your question, it was (a) probably a part of the Bioware writers' D&D game, which was goofy as hell (as all fun tabletop games inevitably must be) and (b) a convenient way to circumvent probable sperg rage about rangers having animal companions when the game's engine didn't readily accommodate the concept.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 8, 2015

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Basic Chunnel posted:

Giant Space Hamsters were a thing from Spelljammer, intelligent livestock farmed by space gnomes (naturally). I think the miniature variety were mentioned offhand in the book but Bioware might have made them up.

But in answer to your question, it was (a) probably a part of the Bioware writers' D&D game, which was goofy as hell (as all fun tabletop games inevitably must be) and (b) a convenient way to circumvent probable sperg rage about rangers having animal companions when the game's engine didn't readily accommodate the concept.

Yeah I kinda thought that was part of the joke, dude thought he was a ranger because of the head trauma and hamster, because really who makes a two-handed ranger? Then Dynaheir just plays it off like it's nothing. But she knows.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Basic Chunnel posted:

They had an official Monstrous Manual stats, they were created by Krynn Tinker Gnomes who went into SPAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCEEEEEEE and then infested every other crystal sphere.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Dragon magazine did have the stats on a wide variety of space hamsters including the miniature dwarf petite giant space hamster which through a highly sophisticated breeding program was indistinguishable from a normal hamster.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
The best character was Xan. He was just being 100% honest the entire time.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Chairchucker posted:

Jan is actually way better than Minsc in every way. (Except for actual usefulness in combat.)

Jan is the best npc in any of the BG games.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

You get it about a third of the way through.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Oasx posted:

Jan is the best npc in any of the BG games.

I never ever used him.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

evilmiera posted:

Not until possibly the expansion.

Is that confirmed? I thought they said they'd consider it for the expansion?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Furism posted:

Is that confirmed? I thought they said they'd consider it for the expansion?

Isn't that what the "possibly" implies?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

drgnvale posted:

Isn't that what the "possibly" implies?

Yeah, ok, I shouldn't post before 2nd coffee.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I always took that as a super polite way of saying 'no.' Relatively few people actually played the Infinity Engine multiplayer, and it would be a ton of work to make it not suck with the realtime with pause combat.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

When you get a visitor like that drunkard guy in the Stronghold interface, can he actually be found inside the map itself?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Sensuki posted:

When you get a visitor like that drunkard guy in the Stronghold interface, can he actually be found inside the map itself?

I would assume not, otherwise killing him would've been a third option.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Has there been any talk about porting PoE to Unity 5 like inXile is doing with W2?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Eddain posted:

I would assume not, otherwise killing him would've been a third option.

You're right about them probably not being present in the area, but if you kill him you could just get a fairly long debuff to the Stronghold (poor prestige for killing a visitor).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Hating on Minsc and Jan Jansen, is this what society has become?

• Locked thread