Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Variable_H posted:

Only other thing is that it runs hot. Really hot. Like I have to let it sit for a few minutes sometimes because its too hot.

Mine doesn't seem too bad, but then I'm using my old N4 as a baseline and that was thermonuclear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Edit: gently caress DST changes

Manky fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 8, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Manky posted:

So is there a reason that neither my N7 or Moto G changed their clocks? I had to turn off automatic time zone and network time and flip both back manually. Barbaric.

You in Arizona?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

You in Arizona?

No, I am an Idiot

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FAUXTON posted:

I have three people in my family who are still using Gnexes on Ting. I've tried over and over to point out that phones like the Moto G are cheap as hell but they like Ting and don't want to switch.

Ting does GSM now, so that should convince them. Just buy an $8 SIM from them and you're good to go.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Variable_H posted:

I got my LG G3 late December, since then its been pretty good. It works when I need it to, but there have been a few annoyances. First being cracks forming in the top and bottom bezels around the mic and IR blaster. It'll also occasionally stop loading data. It will show a network connection and that its sending data but will not download anything until restarted. Similar problem with the quiet mode not turning off as soon as I switch it off, sometimes it'll take a couple minutes to actually disable quiet mode even though the setting toggle shows it off.

Only other thing is that it runs hot. Really hot. Like I have to let it sit for a few minutes sometimes because its too hot.

I've been wondering if the One M8 might have been a better choice.

For what it's worth my M8 was the most damage prone phone I've ever owned. This Android Central accurately depicts my experience and appearance of the phone after 6 months of ownership. I never actually really dropped it, it was all pretty much from the phone sliding off the couch next to me onto the floor (it's the slipperiest drat phone I've ever owned). T-Mobile still accepted it back as a Jump! upgrade despite the cosmetic issues, though. For comparison, I once dropped my original iPhone, tried to catch it with my foot (dumb, dumb, dumb) and kicked it six feet away onto a tile floor. The aluminium got a small dent, but surprisingly enough no scratches or anything else.

As for the other issues, they might be resolved by a factory reset.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 8, 2015

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Alright thanks for the opinions on the G3, I'll probably pick it up. Wanted a xperia z3 initially but I couldn't settle on a new plan with my current provider.

Internet Explorer posted:

God drat I feel bad for anyone still using a Galaxy Nexus.

I could almost live with it if the battery lasted 25% longer. I feel like I just get over 3 hours of screen time. Not to mention standby feels like it drains quick too. Oh and a smidge more ram.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

More info confirming that Verizon's Nexus 6 will launch on the 12th along with 5.1.

http://phandroid.com/2015/03/08/verizon-nexus-6-pricing-availability-leak/

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

More info confirming that Verizon's Nexus 6 will launch on the 12th along with 5.1.

Only the 32GB model available, but at the price of the 64GB model if purchased from Google or Motorola. Way to go, Verizon!

Hopefully though this means they'll backfill the IMEI list into Verizon's system so third party purchased devices can get VoLTE.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Public service announcement - don't buy a Xiaomi unless you plan on completely flattening it, at the least:
http://feeds.slashgear.com/~r/slashgear/~3/fDpoOKpgJ2Y/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

Only the 32GB model available, but at the price of the 64GB model if purchased from Google or Motorola. Way to go, Verizon!

Hopefully though this means they'll backfill the IMEI list into Verizon's system so third party purchased devices can get VoLTE.

There's really not any reason to buy a Nexus 6 full price from Verizon so the full retail price is kinda pointless anyways.

AT&T also charges more for the Nexus 6 than Google full retail.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 8, 2015

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

lelandjs posted:

For what it's worth my M8 was the most damage prone phone I've ever owned. This Android Central accurately depicts my experience and appearance of the phone after 6 months of ownership. I never actually really dropped it, it was all pretty much from the phone sliding off the couch next to me onto the floor (it's the slipperiest drat phone I've ever owned).
I've had my phone since last September and it is spotless. I will reiterate that it is the most slippery phone ever manufactured.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

mango sentinel posted:

I've had my phone since last September and it is spotless. I will reiterate that it is the most slippery phone ever manufactured.

Is the M9 less slippy?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

From what I've read the M9 is a lot closer to the M7 in terms of grippiness.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

kitten smoothie posted:

Ting does GSM now, so that should convince them. Just buy an $8 SIM from them and you're good to go.

They do T-Mobile GSM which is, "eh" at best in my area.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
im surprised hotsauce hasnt got hired yet to make some type of griptape design

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

bull3964 posted:

Time to start :f5: the system image page.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

They do T-Mobile GSM which is, "eh" at best in my area.

So it works here now?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Best decision I ever made was the 7500mah battery for my S4/running lollipop. 2-3 days battery, even with heavy use. loving brilliant.

Why do you need to carry around a phone/brick with such a huge battery? Are you usually without access to a power outlet for 2-3 days at a time?

I just don't get how someone doesn't charge their phone at night when they go to bed.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

BoyBlunder posted:

Why do you need to carry around a phone/brick with such a huge battery? Are you usually without access to a power outlet for 2-3 days at a time?

I just don't get how someone doesn't charge their phone at night when they go to bed.

Who cares?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's just one fewer thing to worry about. Will my phone work when I need it? --> Yes, it will.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

So it works here now?

It "works" in the sense that you can get a number from another market area because you can't port a 402 area code number in. I tried it with Net10 a while back and it had passable service in the civilized parts of town but once you got west of about 90th you started getting spotty, especially if you were anywhere north or south of Dodge.

That village of inbred hicks out Southwest towards like 170th is a complete dead zone.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Speaking of Galaxies and batteries, it turns out the the back cover on the Galaxy S6 can be removed.

Still no expandable storage. Samsung'd!

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Removed in the sense that you can do it to repair or replace the battery.

I still wouldn't be surprised to find in a year that there's a some :spergin: who takes that way too far and is swapping batteries daily, or they made a cover that can be removed more easily.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is the same song and dance HTC, Sony and Xiaomi did, eventually Samsung will put in the SD card slot.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

whatever7 posted:

This is the same song and dance HTC, Sony and Xiaomi did, eventually Samsung will put in the SD card slot.
I agree, Samsung and SD cards target the same demographic: people who don't know any better. They were made for each other.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

whatever7 posted:

But they just took it out? Samsung realized that the vast majority of their users couldn't care less about the SD card slot and rightfully removed it. I'm guessing the Note line will continue to have it as that's what SD-carers are going to buy anyway.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

butt dickus posted:

But they just took it out? Samsung realized that the vast majority of their users couldn't care less about the SD card slot and rightfully removed it. I'm guessing the Note line will continue to have it as that's what SD-carers are going to buy anyway.

I am saying Samsung will put it back in the next model, just like Sony and HTC. Forget Xiaomi, they never did put the slot back. I confused it with Oppo.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

oppo shitphone style

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

whatever7 posted:

I am saying Samsung will put it back in the next model, just like Sony and HTC. Forget Xiaomi, they never did put the slot back. I confused it with Oppo.
Sony and HTC sell so few phones it's difficult to see how either could be accused of knowing what the general public wants.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LastInLine posted:

Sony and HTC sell so few phones it's difficult to see how either could be accused of knowing what the general public wants.

What? Who cares. Just wait one year and you will see a S7 with SD card slot on it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

whatever7 posted:

What? Who cares. Just wait one year and you will see a S7 with SD card slot on it.
No one but spergs care about the card slot and even they can get one with 128GB of fast, reliable, unified storage that just works. Carriers have already placed their bets on the S6 with a record number of orders for it. Samsung is going to make what makes them money and something nice to use sells better than something with a bunch of bullet points.

Good job, Samsung.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

whatever7 posted:

Samsung knows (or at least should know) what it is their customers want and use in their devices. Presumably they have actual data to back up their decision to remove the SD card slot. Furthermore, they're the only Android OEM who actually has anything at stake when releasing new devices because they're the only one making money selling them so I'm inclined to believe they made the decision knowing full well how many of their users they'd alienate which I'd imagine is not many since normal people have no need for them.

Sony, HTC, and everyone else have nothing to lose throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks. The worst case scenario is that whatever device they're selling is a money-losing market flop like the last thing they made. Samsung, seeing their sales and profits evaporate as Apple has taken away their only competitive edge at the high end (big screens) and having China take away everything at the low end, has chosen to double down on aping Apple. That means what you're seeing: better materials and no SD cards or replaceable battery. If cargo culting Apple doesn't pull them out of their death spiral (and it won't) then sure, anything's possible and they may go back to making devices similar to when they were relevant in the marketplace in a last ditch effort to regain that relevance but SD cards won't save them just like it won't hurt them.

butt dickus posted:

No one but spergs care about the card slot and even they can get one with 128GB of fast, reliable, unified storage that just works. Carriers have already placed their bets on the S6 with a record number of orders for it. Samsung is going to make what makes them money and something nice to use sells better than something with a bunch of bullet points.

Good job, Samsung.
My unironic favorite part of their talking up the S6 is how they mention removing 40% of the bloated, useless features that a year ago were the supposed reasons one would want to buy an S5. "The S6, we removed the half of our code that didn't work!"

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 9, 2015

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why do you have to lead every argument to the sales/profit analysis. I really don't care if Samsung/Sony/HTC go bankrupt next year. The sooner I can pick up a flagship phone deal for $150 off contract the better.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

My unironic favorite part of their talking up the S6 is how they mention removing 40% of the bloated, useless features that a year ago were the supposed reasons one would want to buy an S5. "The S6, we removed the half of our code that didn't work!"
I liked this too, but it's weird that they went out of their way to appease the group of phone-carers that wouldn't buy one of their phones anyway.

I hope they sell a shitload of the 6 Edge. It's a nice-looking device that I'll totally recommend if we find out there's nothing hilariously wrong with it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What amused me is I just saw a long commercial last night touting the water resistant angle of the S5 when the S6 drops that feature. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to rinse off their S6 like they do in the S5 commercial and end up with a dead device and wonder why.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

whatever7 posted:

Why do you have to lead every argument to the sales/profit analysis. I really don't care if Samsung/Sony/HTC go bankrupt next year. The sooner I can pick up a flagship phone deal for $150 off contract the better.

Because, presumably, the only reason you would make the argument that Samsung would follow in Sony/HTC footsteps and put the SD Card back is if Sony/HTC had some logical reason for putting the SD Card back, and since the presumed reason Sony/HTC do things is to make more money your argument is that Sony/HTC put the SD card back to make more money.

That may not be the argument you were making, I'm not sure, but it's a very reasonable reading of your argument.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wonder if we'll soon be seeing phones that have an internal battery with something like 700 mAh, and a removable/replaceable battery with a more standard 2500 mAh that can be hotswapped. I'm not assuming they'd come from mainstream manufacturers since most people don't have that kind of use pattern, but the concept would probably have a niche with those who are on the road a lot. You'd have some kind of charger boot for the spare battery, if not a straight-up microUSB port to charge.

Basically it'd be an insertable version of a power brick, except the juice is instantly available rather than needing to trickle charge. Again, it'd make for a relatively bulky phone unless they figure out a way to compact all the extra connectors for both batteries down to a much smaller size than present. Build it in to some shenzhen special with a 1080p screen and bargain specs otherwise, sell it for $500 a pop, and you've probably got a phone purpose-made for watching animes while riding the bus to the call center or whatever.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Why do you have to lead every argument to the sales/profit analysis. I really don't care if Samsung/Sony/HTC go bankrupt next year.
Samsung does and they're the ones making the phones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

whatever7 posted:

Yeah man, let's cheer on a race to the bottom! I can't wait until the lenovo/superfish fiasco reinvents itself on phones!