Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shimmy
Apr 20, 2011

1-2mb to embed? I can't do anything with that! I tried every trick Photoshop has to offer, here's your tiny gif

Video at 60fps with an appropriate tune and awful compression
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfvZ--b18VA

This is the project I mentioned before, that makes me think Unity's physics should be more than good enough for most indies. Though this post is prompted by the physics complaints I really just want to talk about the game because I never have before.
Average speed 500-1000 kph. Acceleration so high I felt I had to implement a G-force readout. The track collision mesh is ludicrous. Obstacles small enough that half the time I would go through them like they weren't there, that same problem everyone runs into. The whole thing, well it's kind of asking a lot.
I think Unity physics run at 50hz by default and, I checked, it's at 200hz in this project. I guess that sounds like a lot but even older PCs run it without a hitch. Also it's overkill anyway, the game you see here doesn't need it that high. I did it because there is a stupid boost button that makes you go up to 2000 kph in a straight line. I kid you not, that's a little bit too fast to handle and I don't use it in the video. If I did I'd instantly crash into 10 different walls but the physics do handle these collisions perfectly, always.

This was supposed to be a sort of Audiosurf/Wipeout mix game, but I had no idea how to make a track that interacts with physics but also changes its shape XX times per second. I only ever made a vehicle handling test, and that's what you see here. Just a bare minimum of gameplay thanks to some obstacles on a 15 second long track, there is nothing else. Don't mind the stand in objects, textures, colors etc.
Even so I have played this build a lot, I put on some untz untz music and will zone out for ages in a strong flow state.
I've recently found myself thinking a lot about restarting this project and taking a completely different approach inspired by old 2d racers like Outrun. I think I can make it work well enough that it would look and feel like a real racer, which those 2d ones never did, but I'd have to roll my own fake physics etc. I'm committed to my current game though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I'm throwing together a real quick proof of concept thing in Unity, a 2.5D (like Trine or Trials HD etc.)
My one caveat is that I need quick, responsive controls, and I need to fudge enough of the physics to make character manipulation feel really solid.
Is CharacterController worth dealing with, at all? Is there any way I can get a fine enough level of control for what I need, or do most people write their own controllers?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Onion Knight posted:

I'm throwing together a real quick proof of concept thing in Unity, a 2.5D (like Trine or Trials HD etc.)
My one caveat is that I need quick, responsive controls, and I need to fudge enough of the physics to make character manipulation feel really solid.
Is CharacterController worth dealing with, at all? Is there any way I can get a fine enough level of control for what I need, or do most people write their own controllers?
Searching the forums tells me that you'll want to write your own.
Maybe look at the Unity standard assets, a post by Fuzzyslippers said that they replaced CharacterController with a custom solution.

Speaking of 2.5D, can someone explain how they do the camera in Megaman 2.5D?
As you can see in the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gr8mXciVyg the background seems to turn when the player moves, showing the sides of the walls and generally giving a nice 3d feel.
I'm thinking that everything is rotated/distorted the farther it is away from the middle of the screen but I'm not sure how it's done.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

rarbatrol posted:

There's probably a lot of ways to visualize data in higher dimensions. You could predefine a set of "views" that project the data to 2 or 3 dimensions, like looking into a cube one face at a time. You could use a non-positional depiction of the higher axes, like using color gradients (R,G,B dimensions). If you're graphing points, you could also use shapes and sizes as well.

That definitely would be a way to do it that I never thought of, which is kind of cool actually.
The problem would be that players would definitely be confused. Even 3D graphs would potentially make a lot of people's eyes glaze over (even mine). "You mean to tell me this graph isn't just fancy 3D art and all those points shown mean something?!"

It's just easier if I made a simple 2D graph with layers of data on top if I had to put so much inside. I'm trying to put in enough factors to be real for the market sim without going into complex economic theory.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

scissorman posted:

Speaking of 2.5D, can someone explain how they do the camera in Megaman 2.5D?
As you can see in the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gr8mXciVyg the background seems to turn when the player moves, showing the sides of the walls and generally giving a nice 3d feel.
I'm thinking that everything is rotated/distorted the farther it is away from the middle of the screen but I'm not sure how it's done.
They would have actually modeled the world in 3D to do that. Same thing we did in Hot Tin Roof. The notable difference is that they kept their "corners" to a minimum, going by the footage, and stayed mostly to flat planes that are incidentally modeled in 3D.

Once you've got that, you just implement a standard velocity camera that lags slightly behind your player / standard 2D camera stuff, and you get that nice 3D feeling as a byproduct. The only complicated part in that entire video is the one case where they turn a 90 degree corner, and after Hot Tin Roof, I'd highly, highly recommend never doing anything like that. It opens a lot of cute tricks, but has a ton of hidden costs long-term. It makes sane camera code almost impossible, amongst other things.

Everything else is "it's like Shadow Complex, but with camera-facing flat character sprites instead of skinned meshes."

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Shalinor posted:

They would have actually modeled the world in 3D to do that. Same thing we did in Hot Tin Roof. The notable difference is that they kept their "corners" to a minimum, going by the footage, and stayed mostly to flat planes that are incidentally modeled in 3D.

Once you've got that, you just implement a standard velocity camera that lags slightly behind your player / standard 2D camera stuff, and you get that nice 3D feeling as a byproduct. The only complicated part in that entire video is the one case where they turn a 90 degree corner, and after Hot Tin Roof, I'd highly, highly recommend never doing anything like that. It opens a lot of cute tricks, but has a ton of hidden costs long-term. It makes sane camera code almost impossible, amongst other things.

Everything else is "it's like Shadow Complex, but with camera-facing flat character sprites instead of skinned meshes."

Thanks.
So the main thing is that you have to use a normal camera instead of orthographic (and obviously make your world in 3D).
I thought they might have also played around with the camera parameters (especially fov for a bit of fisheye to enhance the effect) but I guess that's not necessary.

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice
Unity collisions question:

I've got a spaceship model, with a box collider. As a child of that, I have a shield with a sphere collider which is much larger than the parent. I'm using tags on the collisions to see what's getting hit, and it never picks up the shield, only the ship's box collider. Why?

Edit: Never mind, needed a RigidBody, duh.

Pi Mu Rho fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 8, 2015

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Who in here worked on Drive to Hell? I think I may have found a bug.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pi Mu Rho posted:

I upgraded Dreadnaughts to use Unity 5, no major dramas aside from it not liking some older materials.
Added the basis for beam weapons - not working 100% yet, they're supposed to visibly charge up while you're in range and then fire after x seconds. I also wrote some very rudimentary code for the enemy fighter AI - it tracks you down and avoids crashing into you.
I'm determined to get this finished, it's actually fun.

Is Dreadnaughts a working title because there's Dreadnought coming out and Deadnaut both on Steam.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

MockingQuantum posted:

Who in here worked on Drive to Hell? I think I may have found a bug.

That would be me! What's up?

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Bel Monte posted:

That definitely would be a way to do it that I never thought of, which is kind of cool actually.
The problem would be that players would definitely be confused. Even 3D graphs would potentially make a lot of people's eyes glaze over (even mine). "You mean to tell me this graph isn't just fancy 3D art and all those points shown mean something?!"

It's just easier if I made a simple 2D graph with layers of data on top if I had to put so much inside. I'm trying to put in enough factors to be real for the market sim without going into complex economic theory.

Yeah, you probably wouldn't want to do more than 1-2 color axes, because that gets much harder to explain. "Redness means higher price" and "greenness means quality" might be okay by themselves, but then when they overlap you have all sorts of new colors.

Tolstojevski
Apr 10, 2009
Holy poo poo I am liking these blueprints in UDK. Been a fan of visual programming languages for ages, since I got to play with some old version of virtools some place or another. What programming I had done was in C with a healthy dose of assembly so I find higher languages ugly as hell to look at and I am really clicking with this system for my hobbyist projects.
Have a door that cant be interrupted during the animation (they really need to add some sort of export to picture option, had to stitch the thing).

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

al-azad posted:

Is Dreadnaughts a working title because there's Dreadnought coming out and Deadnaut both on Steam.

It's been called Dreadnaughts since I first started on it in 2011 or so. I'm not changing it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

That would be me! What's up?

A friend and I were playing two-player w/Xbox controllers, and our right triggers controlled each others' boosts, instead of our own. I assume that's a bug at least? It was kind of a fun bit of teamwork actually.

It was on PC with Windows 8.1.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pi Mu Rho posted:

It's been called Dreadnaughts since I first started on it in 2011 or so. I'm not changing it.

Just letting you know you're going to have to do a lot to distinguish it from these other titles, especially Dreadnought which is coming from the Spec Ops developer and is a pretty popular title right now.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Onion Knight posted:

It's really beyond me how anyone would even consider using CharacterController for anything but basic prototyping.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

SweetBro posted:

It's really beyond me how anyone would even consider using CharacterController for anything but basic prototyping.

Why they don't open source Character Controller is beyond me.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Tolstojevski posted:

Holy poo poo I am liking these blueprints in UDK. Been a fan of visual programming languages for ages, since I got to play with some old version of virtools some place or another. What programming I had done was in C with a healthy dose of assembly so I find higher languages ugly as hell to look at and I am really clicking with this system for my hobbyist projects.
Have a door that cant be interrupted during the animation (they really need to add some sort of export to picture option, had to stitch the thing).

Try this:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Pi Mu Rho posted:

They beat you to market. This is the danger of long-term projects. Now you kinda need to change it, if you want any odds of being a first-page google hit on your own game.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Shalinor posted:

They beat you to market. This is the danger of long-term projects. Now you kinda need to change it, if you want any odds of being a first-page google hit on your own game.

To add, if the game were better known it would be more important to keep the name, in a way it is fortunate that it's been kind of slow burn because you can still pick a new name without it being a big hit to your profile. It sucks, because it IS a good name, but unfortunately others thought so too and you don't want to enter the fray as 2 other games with almost identical names which will already be released by the time yours is.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

JossiRossi posted:

To add, if the game were better known it would be more important to keep the name, in a way it is fortunate that it's been kind of slow burn because you can still pick a new name without it being a big hit to your profile. It sucks, because it IS a good name, but unfortunately others thought so too and you don't want to enter the fray as 2 other games with almost identical names which will already be released by the time yours is.

There's also the chance someone hits you with a trademark dispute as happened to Double Fine's Trenched. The developers of Matador had to change the name and it ended up working in their favor because Brigador was more unique than Matador which made their game easily searchable.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Unormal posted:

Why they don't open source Character Controller is beyond me.

They can. You just gotta contact them, sign mountains of paperwork, and pay bajillions of dollah so that they give you access to the source code. Or something like that. I don't actually know how to application for source access goes.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

SweetBro posted:

You just gotta contact them, sign mountains of paperwork, and pay bajillions of dollah so that they give you access to the source code.

This is, in fact, the opposite of "open source"

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Hey guys, mind if I freak out here for a bit?

Now that my murder mystery adventure game thingy is playable from beginning to end(as long as you use the word playable real loving loosely) I'm beginning to polish up enough of the first murder to make an alpha. This is now resulting in a slight state of panic that I can best sum up as "Oh my god what if it's completely, irreversibly horrible?"

I'm not too concerned about the gameplay sucking, because even if that turns out to be the case I'm more than willing to change that in case that's horrible. What got me worried is the writing - like, I am pretty convinced that it's at the very least okay. I'm a huge mystery nerd who read like every John Dickson Carr/Agatha Christie book ever, so I'm pretty confident that if nothing else I should be confident that I know how to handle a murder mystery.

But that's the point where a little voice inside my head goes, "Well, is it really wise to be confident about that? What if that actually sucks?" and I freak out about it, because if it does suck I'll have little option other than basically rewriting the story until I get a good mystery going.

That said, I know that I don't have much of an option here. I need to suck it up, polish enough of the game for an alpha to get the dreaded feedback on the mystery writing. I'll do it, too. It's just that I'm still terrified of it :ohdear:
It also occurs to me that the point where I have a game playable from beginning to end is also the point where I should probably come up with a name for it other than "my murder mystery adventure game thingy."

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Hopeford posted:

Hey guys, mind if I freak out here for a bit?

Now that my murder mystery adventure game thingy is playable from beginning to end(as long as you use the word playable real loving loosely) I'm beginning to polish up enough of the first murder to make an alpha. This is now resulting in a slight state of panic that I can best sum up as "Oh my god what if it's completely, irreversibly horrible?"

I'm not too concerned about the gameplay sucking, because even if that turns out to be the case I'm more than willing to change that in case that's horrible. What got me worried is the writing - like, I am pretty convinced that it's at the very least okay. I'm a huge mystery nerd who read like every John Dickson Carr/Agatha Christie book ever, so I'm pretty confident that if nothing else I should be confident that I know how to handle a murder mystery.

But that's the point where a little voice inside my head goes, "Well, is it really wise to be confident about that? What if that actually sucks?" and I freak out about it, because if it does suck I'll have little option other than basically rewriting the story until I get a good mystery going.

That said, I know that I don't have much of an option here. I need to suck it up, polish enough of the game for an alpha to get the dreaded feedback on the mystery writing. I'll do it, too. It's just that I'm still terrified of it :ohdear:
It also occurs to me that the point where I have a game playable from beginning to end is also the point where I should probably come up with a name for it other than "my murder mystery adventure game thingy."

Keep going. Test early with players. Test often. It's ready to test now. Gather feedback from a wide range of people, listen to that feedback carefully. Watch them play without prompting at all. Have them narrate their stream of consciousness with no feedback from you. Observe carefully.

The only way to make truly great work is to first do a huge, huge volume of not great work.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

MockingQuantum posted:

A friend and I were playing two-player w/Xbox controllers, and our right triggers controlled each others' boosts, instead of our own. I assume that's a bug at least? It was kind of a fun bit of teamwork actually.

It was on PC with Windows 8.1.

Someone else reporting this same thing:

quote:

Not sure if anyone else has had this happen but while playing Local Co op with two wired 360 controllers, when you press RT on controller 1 it boosts player 2 forward in their car. When you press RT on player 2 controller it boosts player 1's car forward. It seems reversed.

Which is super goddamn weird as I don't see how all of the other controls would be fine save for that one. I'll see what I can figure out though as I finally got a Windows 8.1 machine again.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Onion Knight posted:

This is, in fact, the opposite of "open source"

That is the joke.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

shimmy posted:

Unity physics stuff
Just so we're clear (not your fault, this stuff just makes my head hurt), when you say you set the physics to 200hz, what you actually did was set the fixed timestep to 0.005, right?

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I just wanna thank the thread again for recommending TexturePacker Pro, and re-recommend it whole-heartedly. It brought our build from 4 GB to 1 GB to now 100 megs. Best 50 euros we ever spent.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

On further recommendations of amazing Assets Store buys: Full Inspector. Inspect yer lists, inspect yer dictionaries, inspect yer custom structs, inspect yer statics, glorious JSON serialization, well documented, all sorts of other goodies, and the developer is providing decent active support. Pretty much a must have for anyone making anything that uses even remotely complex data structures in Unity unless you're a fan of thousands of Debug.Logs().

shimmy
Apr 20, 2011

Lork posted:

Just so we're clear (not your fault, this stuff just makes my head hurt), when you say you set the physics to 200hz, what you actually did was set the fixed timestep to 0.005, right?

Yes. I put it in hz terms because that's how people usually think about it. I think.

Tolstojevski
Apr 10, 2009

That would kill the animation cant be interrupted bit, would it not? Its functioning as intended how it stands, as those false branches would fire only if the door got another command to move while it was still in movement. Didn't want that.

Braking into blueprint at a nice pace still. Was a bit scared that it would be dumbed down programming with a bunch of black boxes. It ain't. Made a pretty universal system for detecting if the player is looking at something interactable and firing its functions. Still had to do all the vector math, implemented interfaces, upcasted objects and all that jazz. I'd say the effort I put in is pretty much the same as with regular programming just over a different paradigm, one I enjoy a lot more.

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
I've been lurking here for a bit because I started learning Unity and C# a week or two ago and it's been a really rewarding experience so far. Because I'm apparently masochistic my first project is kinda an RTS/ARPG crossover, the idea being staged areas where you have some units, can summon more (through skills, not buildings), and have to clear waves or whatever. I'm still building the early prototype but I've gotten some dudes to chase me around and we can kill each other, so I think that the next thing on my list is to figure out unit priority lists:

Objective: Units attack first enemy on their aggro list until that enemy dies or leaves their range.
- Create array to hold list
- Use trigger collider enter and exit to determine what's on the list
- Mob attacks #0 target in list
- If list is empty, move to nearest unit tagged 'Enemy'

Does this make sense? Is there a better way?

shimmy posted:

1-2mb to embed? I can't do anything with that! I tried every trick Photoshop has to offer, here's your tiny gif

Video at 60fps with an appropriate tune and awful compression
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfvZ--b18VA

I don't like most racing games, but I enjoy the less realistic ones like Rollcage (that's ooold now), Extreme-G N64, Wipeout etc and this looks really fun to me. I get what you mean with the zoning out thing, I like putting on long, fast tracks in Audiosurf's mono ninja mode and just zen-mode spacing out. :)

SUN Project fits nicely too. :D

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

SweetBro posted:

On further recommendations of amazing Assets Store buys: Full Inspector. Inspect yer lists, inspect yer dictionaries, inspect yer custom structs, inspect yer statics, glorious JSON serialization, well documented, all sorts of other goodies, and the developer is providing decent active support. Pretty much a must have for anyone making anything that uses even remotely complex data structures in Unity unless you're a fan of thousands of Debug.Logs().

Imma have to check this out. Thanks!

Also Rollcage was baller as hell and doesn't get nearly the respect it deserves. Distance is probably the closest we'll get to that in a long while.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Tolstojevski posted:

That would kill the animation cant be interrupted bit, would it not? Its functioning as intended how it stands, as those false branches would fire only if the door got another command to move while it was still in movement. Didn't want that.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that the animation would not interrupt but you wanted it to.

shimmy
Apr 20, 2011

Strange Horizon posted:

I get what you mean with the zoning out thing, I like putting on long, fast tracks in Audiosurf's mono ninja mode and just zen-mode spacing out. :)
Haha yeah it's always mono. I don't know what the other modes in that game are for.

As for your AI list thing, I have no experience with AI but I have doors that use a very similar system to open and close automatically. People have been saying that you can't rely on collision enter/exit but it hasn't failed once for me.

Yodzilla posted:

Distance is probably the closest we'll get to that in a long while.
I was a bit upset about that game because I wanted that name.
In most games you run preset tracks so your score is the time you make. In my idea the track would be infinite, you run a preset time (length of the music) and the score is how much ~distance~ you make.
Ughh I should really just stop thinking about this thing I'm not doing.

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tolstojevski posted:

Braking into blueprint at a nice pace still. Was a bit scared that it would be dumbed down programming with a bunch of black boxes. It ain't. Made a pretty universal system for detecting if the player is looking at something interactable and firing its functions. Still had to do all the vector math, implemented interfaces, upcasted objects and all that jazz. I'd say the effort I put in is pretty much the same as with regular programming just over a different paradigm, one I enjoy a lot more.

Fun fact: you can send interface messages to anything and it will quietly fail if the interface is not implemented. This eliminates casts.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So I may have found a dumb work around for my Maya 3d modeling woes: Build in Inventor then convert in Maya.

Searching around tells me that 3ds Max and Maya can import Step files and then resave has FBX. So I'm probably going to just do that because that makes these simple models a matter of minutes to make.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

SweetBro posted:

They can. You just gotta contact them, sign mountains of paperwork, and pay bajillions of dollah so that they give you access to the source code. Or something like that. I don't actually know how to application for source access goes.

We get it, you like UE more than Unity. gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

poemdexter posted:

We get it, you like UE more than Unity. gently caress off.
Weirdly, he's actually a Unity dev, going by his posting history. As a fellow "snarking on Unity is fun even if you're still using the engine because it's good in spite of its flaws" person: "snarking on Unity is fun" :shobon: