Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I agree that a 24 hour extension would be prudent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ok up to 24 hours in deadline extension but the deadline for D2 will be midnight EST on Tuesday regardless of when this day ends so consider hammering early.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Fast Luck posted:

Also, anything that requires 100% participation to work kind of seems like a pipe dream. If you set your heart on it then realistically you'll end up disappointed.

Except that scum are the one's most likely to fight against it. So I'm pledging, here and now, to lynch people that have fought because it's in scum's best interest to stop this from happening.

##vote Somber

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

Hi.

I replaced in for Asiina. I agree with her 100% except for the ragequitting.

I think option C is the winner, but I guess B is ok too. It looks like tons of people haven't weighed in though, or don't have other thoughts. I'd love to hear from folks like Taste and Hal and others who aren't really saying much who they want to vote out today in addition to the setup spec stuff.

I think in this sort of game with crazy rules, not being even willing to engage on setup spec is especially scummy, so I think Somber is king scum right now.

##vote Somber

There are tons of people still not voting and the deadline is later tonight if not rescheduled. I think another scum play is not even being on the record with a vote when we hit deadline on a plurality vote.

Wanted to pop in and give my thoughts, but off to pick up my kid/etc now, so I'll be back again closer to deadline if folks want to discuss anything.

Hey, KB, glad you step in exactly where Asiina left, because this is the right mentality, I think. Too many people are defending not sharing with the idea of unknown consequences; they're playing on the fear of players to prevent us from possibly having a real and interesting scumhunting tool in the ballot tracking.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Ok, back-ish for the forseeable future if anyone wanted to engage with me.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

Ok, back-ish for the forseeable future if anyone wanted to engage with me.

What's your opinion on wall monitor's play thus far?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Byers2142 posted:

I understand why you and Ernie think how you do on him, but he doesn't feel scummy to me.

I know my reading things after the fact, rather than in the moment, can have an effect, though.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Murmur Twin posted:

Right now I feel good on JJ, Ernie, and Asii, and there are plenty of people who haven't posted yet so it's hard to have a solid case at the moment.

Have you had any thoughts on scum as of yet?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Byers2142 posted:

To expand on my opinion:

wall monitor posted:

loving hell, I've been told in the past that making a big deal about getting voted on is something only scum would do, and here I'm being told that not defending yourself is something only scum would do. Which the gently caress is it?

I've said repeatedly that I messed up, that I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have and thought Ernie was quoting another one of my posts, and in that context the statements he made made me think he was scum. Once the context was changed I likewise changed my vote.

That felt to me like the kind of meltdown I'd have as town. This, plus his, partially wrong but still trying to solve things, attempts at figuring out the best approach for the setup spec are what are shaping my opinion on him.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

To expand on my opinion:

That felt to me like the kind of meltdown I'd have as town. This, plus his, partially wrong but still trying to solve things, attempts at figuring out the best approach for the setup spec are what are shaping my opinion on him.

See, I have a hard time with that because the first paragraph reads a self-aware. "I was told being too defensive was scummy" implies he'd thought about how to approach things contrary to what he was told was a scum read. Then I called him on doing the opposite. If he's actively thinking about how to not play scummy, that feels like a scum mentality.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Byers2142 posted:

See, I have a hard time with that because the first paragraph reads a self-aware. "I was told being too defensive was scummy" implies he'd thought about how to approach things contrary to what he was told was a scum read. Then I called him on doing the opposite. If he's actively thinking about how to not play scummy, that feels like a scum mentality.

He's still relatively new based on Votefinder. When I was that new, I tried to change what I was posting based on feedback even when I was town. I mean, I've since changed fully back into my own style because gently caress people who think my style is scummy, that is on them. But in some of the games I've read recently, I've still seen old hands at this saying there are things they won't post because our SA Mafia meta says those things are scummy. If even veterans are doing that, I absolutely won't fault a newbie for it.

tldr; I see lots of mafia players who care about not playing scummy as town. I don't think that is a tell in general, although I would accept arguments based on specific players meta.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Little Mac posted:

I see a lot of ballot conversation but not a lot of scumhunting. Like we can do whatever we want to control the ballots but I think more important is actually finding and plorping scum.

Hi Little Mac, who are you leaning scum on?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Ok, not a lot of folks around, so going to go do other things, but:

Not Voting (6): Epsilon Plus, Fast Luck, Hal Incandenza, Little Mac, Murmur Twin, Pinterest Mom

These are the people who I'd definitely like to hear more from right now. A couple of them have had lots of good feedback on setup spec, but we also need to talk about who we think the scum are and pick someone to vote for.

Also, right now I'm thinking I'll be sending my ballot to Byers.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
If you're going to lunch me for not participating in setup speculation and trying to find scum instead, okay. If you feel like lunching scum at some point, vote jon joe.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Pinterest Mom posted:

What the actual value of the powers if everyone knows about them? Close to zero, right?

Roleblocker is easily avoided.

If we do the cop/doctor thing, you maybe get someone who is confirmed town for one day, but then that person is the obvious NK target the next night.

Unless you use the doctor on them, but that means you can't use the doctor on the person being copped that night, who could get killed.

I think having the doctor be secretly selected by ballot (without the voters discussing with each other who they're voting for) is better than publicly deciding on the doctor target, at least for d2+.

At least then you have the WIFOM of "are they doctoring the confirmed townie or are they doctoring the cop investigation"

PMom pings me as scummy right now. Admittedly it's partly a meta-read - in a game that has an interesting setup that can potentially be broken, I would expect a town PMom to conclusively come forward with what he thinks is the best move to make, why, and to argue more against people he disagrees with. This is a new setup with different things to keep track of, and I would expect him to me more interested in "solving" it.

Instead he takes a side, runs some scenarios, and then bows out of the discussion. I feel like he wasn't really trying to change any minds with what he was saying, and it feels fake to me.

More cases incoming.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Little Mac posted:

I see a lot of ballot conversation but not a lot of scumhunting. Like we can do whatever we want to control the ballots but I think more important is actually finding and plorping scum.

A fair assessment, except it's not followed up with scumhunting. His one read:

Little Mac posted:

I was just looking over wall and this post seems really townie to me. Even though he obviously means "enthusiasm," I think it's coming from a townie perspective. The vote on Ernie is bad but eh. This doesn't read like defeated scum, especially when he's only -3.

Is a response to a single post made by WM, that he says makes him look town without giving a reason for it. This doesn't read like someone looking for scum, it reads like someone to generate content. Speaking of which:

Little Mac posted:

What happens if the roleblock blocks the roleblocker? Nothing, I'm assuming?

Also feels like someone trying to give the impression that he's trying to generate information. This question doesn't really have a purpose, it's just sort of there.

Leaning scummy on Mac.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

jon joe posted:

Oh, is the deadline that close? Well'p.

I vote for. Little. Mac.

##vote Little Mac

What? You want a reason? Well, it's a lurker vote! Hohoho!

Somberbrero posted:

Hm a scum post! Far too self-conscious and concerned with the appearance of his vote.

Is what seems to be the crux of Somber's case on JJ. And like, maybe that's scummy, if you discount the fact that JJ has been engaging with multiple people on multiple topics and generally trying to add to the discussion. He has the most posts in the thread at the time of my writing this.

Somberbrero posted:

If you're going to lunch me for not participating in setup speculation and trying to find scum instead, okay. If you feel like lunching scum at some point, vote jon joe.

I feel like if town Somber really though JJ was scum, he would have made a more involved case on it. And if town Somber wasn't sure, he wouldn't have doubled down on it.

I read scum on Somber and would vote there as well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Somberbrero posted:

This defensiveness pings my gut, but I can't quite elaborate on why. Maybe I'm tunneling, or maybe I was just out of it for too long and lost my impression of how Somber plays, but this doesn't sound like him being genuine.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I'm back from a weekend of debauchery, what is happening here?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

King Burgundy posted:

Hi Little Mac, who are you leaning scum on?

Hi, I'm just coming back from writing a post in Secret Invasion for, like, an hour. Anyway, I need to re-read but I didn't really ping Somber as scummy earlier? I might've missed something. Will check.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Hal Incandenza posted:

I'm back from a weekend of debauchery, what is happening here?

More debauchery.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Murmur Twin posted:

Is what seems to be the crux of Somber's case on JJ. And like, maybe that's scummy, if you discount the fact that JJ has been engaging with multiple people on multiple topics and generally trying to add to the discussion. He has the most posts in the thread at the time of my writing this.

Because JJ's has evidenced what you call town behavior, we should dismiss it when he acts scummy?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I just read Jon Joe. Almost all of his posts are concerned with mechanics and setup speculation and there are maybe three actual opinions.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I can't put my finger on it but JJ seems to intentionally be pretending to be scummy. I don't know somber as a person who goes after low hanging fruit either. So basically they're both weirdos. Glad we had this talk.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Ernie. posted:

I can't put my finger on it but JJ seems to intentionally be pretending to be scummy. I don't know somber as a person who goes after low hanging fruit either. So basically they're both weirdos. Glad we had this talk.

Man Ernie I love that I can count on you for deep insights when I really need them

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ernie. posted:

I can't put my finger on it but JJ seems to intentionally be pretending to be scummy.
Normally, I'd think that would be a doctor-ish thing, but in this game? :shrug:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ernie. posted:

I can't put my finger on it but JJ seems to intentionally be pretending to be scummy.

Nah.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Somberbrero posted:

I just read Jon Joe. Almost all of his posts are concerned with mechanics and setup speculation and there are maybe three actual opinions.

This is probably an accurate statement.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Hal Incandenza posted:

Man Ernie I love that I can count on you for deep insights when I really need them

~backseat playing~

I don't know who all got angry at this game but I'm being especially tip-toey so as not to cause the entire game to replace out.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Ernie. posted:

what does this even mean, Ernie!

It's honestly pretty funny that I keep getting lunched/vig killed over and over because of strange meta arguments. I really have to wonder what my posting looks like from an outside perspective where I have to deal with this constantly as town but am never really bothered as scum.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

what does this even mean, Ernie!

It's honestly pretty funny that I keep getting lunched/vig killed over and over because of strange meta arguments. I really have to wonder what my posting looks like from an outside perspective where I have to deal with this constantly as town but am never really bothered as scum.

It's that avatar, man. I'm sorry.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

If it helps, I'm constantly getting nightkilled in all my games.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I feel like I need to vote Ernie or wall monitor strictly based on what's happened this page.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

Pro-tip: You're too experienced (and too good) a Mafia player to get caught up in "Why does everyone think I'm scummy? :qq:" poo poo like this. It's beneath you. If you wanna make us all look like idiots, reinvest that energy into nailing scum to the wall. Get your vindication, even if it's posthumous. It makes you look better and actually helps town out.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

wall monitor posted:

It's that avatar, man. I'm sorry.

I really like his avatar, it makes me laugh every time I see it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Poison Mushroom posted:

Pro-tip: You're too experienced (and too good) a Mafia player to get caught up in "Why does everyone think I'm scummy? :qq:" poo poo like this. It's beneath you. If you wanna make us all look like idiots, reinvest that energy into nailing scum to the wall. Get your vindication, even if it's posthumous. It makes you look better and actually helps town out.

Haha, where is this coming from? No, you! Seriously getting dad-coached itt.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Hal Incandenza posted:

I feel like I need to vote Ernie or wall monitor strictly based on what's happened this page.

That would involve you reading a whole page, Hal!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Why is everyone being so scummy? Are we all 3P?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Ernie. posted:

... are you 3P, Ernie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ernie. posted:

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

• Locked thread