Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Well, at least I guess the Bulldogs might be able to beat the Eagles at Etihad. That's a might of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Diet Crack posted:

Ellis and Wellingham injured.

gently caress the NAB challenge in it's stupid loving face.

Dammit, I thought the 40 point loss meant we took it easy this week.

Ellis isn't surprising, that guy is held together with sticky tape and tissue paper.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Pretty happy for the crows to escape a practice game with nothing but a Tom Lynch concussion, the occurrence of which is pretty much as certain as the sun rising in the east

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Drugs posted:

Pretty happy for the crows to escape a practice game with nothing but a Tom Lynch concussion, the occurrence of which is pretty much as certain as the sun rising in the east

He's gotta be reaching the limit soon.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

hiddenmovement posted:

So I joined a local team and started preseason.

I discovered that I am an unhealthy, unfit, cheeto scoffing goon.

Awesome. Which club?

Also yes, you dont realize just how unfit you are until you try and play aussie rules football. Prepare for major DOMS. :)

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
West Brunswick. I used to play a bit for the pub footy circuit but I didn't fit in very well with the team.

I am amazed how much running fitness I've lost though, it's embarassing.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

hiddenmovement posted:

West Brunswick. I used to play a bit for the pub footy circuit but I didn't fit in very well with the team.

I am amazed how much running fitness I've lost though, it's embarassing.

High five VAFA buddy.

I play for Hampton Rovers.. although we're about 6 divisions apart lol.

Yeah, try not to worry too much about the fatigue issue. You literally cannot do anything about it as that kind of endurance comes from years of pre-seasons. Even if you get up to doing 5k runs you will still fall off well before others in open kicking drills and the like. Thee seasons in for me and I still am well behind just about all the other blokes. The worst is all the under 19's running rings around you though! haha

Best thing though is work on your kicking. Youll be way way more useful by being able to kick to a target then being able to run around without touching the ball.

Also start adding about 50grams of additional protein to your diet each day. Always seems to make my recovery a heap better if I keep it up.

Nutsngum fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 8, 2015

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Diet Crack posted:

Ellis and Wellingham injured.

gently caress the NAB challenge in it's stupid loving face.

That Saints player will miss 3 months too. At least I don't have to worry about Gumby snapping in half any more.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Reminder that Tim Watson tried to enter the world of fashion (Eddie McGuire warning)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMLHza1ExZQ

edit:

SONNET TO A NEW SHERRIN

Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,

So does a football hasten to its end,

Each kick wearing it out a fraction more

Be it drop punt, mongrel, torp or banana bend.

A glory new and in its first sweet flight,

But every time it tumbles on the ground,

Dull scuffs and mud against its glory fight

And Time that gave, doth now his gift confound.

Time does his work by stealth and by degrees

And kick by kick unfolds his tale of woe

With rain and roads and fences, dogs and trees

And Dubbin cannot stop him, only slow.

And yet, to times, in hope, my verse shall stand,

Praising thy worth, despite his cruel hand.

:australia:

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 9, 2015

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!

Grew up here. Good times... Probably still got half a kilo of knee/elbow skin scattered around the place.

Edit: holy poo poo, quotin' from the dark ages. Has it been a week since I read this thread? Apparently!

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I love club supporter forums.

RE: Open training session today

quote:

It was clearly advertised that the open training session started at 12:00. We arrived 15 minutes early to get a snag and watch the boys train for an hour or so.

By 1:30 they were just getting their jumpers on for a warm up.

We had to get our car from a two hour spot some walk away so we left.

A family next to us with four boys did the same.

This is why we have been on the bottom of the ladder these last years.

This would not have happened at Hawthorn, that's why they are on the top!!!

Followed by 2 pages of how we are apparently going to lose a shitload of members because the above. If you're dedicated enough to go to training, i'm pretty sure you'd already be a member...

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
and you guys think I'm pretty far gone

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

All training is done outside on the field.

:hurr:

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Box Hill Strangler posted:

Grew up here. Good times... Probably still got half a kilo of knee/elbow skin scattered around the place.

Edit: holy poo poo, quotin' from the dark ages. Has it been a week since I read this thread? Apparently!

Not a lot going on atm, it's basically supercoach score watching time.

Can someone answer me as to why Sri Lankan fans can take a huge array of musical instruments and giant flags into the SCG last night but I'm not allowed to take a can of coke into a football match?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Because you can't buy Sri Lankan flags and musical instruments at the SCG.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Ok not a can of coke. Let's pretend I wanted to bring in a brass band like the Sri Lankan fans did last night. Why can't I? They had fun. They made the match more fun. It was colourful, vibrant, full of soul, and it didn't detract from the game itself at all. What's the actual rational reason we can't do that sort of thing? I'm sure if I tried it I would be frog marched from Etihad.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

hiddenmovement posted:

Ok not a can of coke. Let's pretend I wanted to bring in a brass band like the Sri Lankan fans did last night. Why can't I? They had fun. They made the match more fun. It was colourful, vibrant, full of soul, and it didn't detract from the game itself at all. What's the actual rational reason we can't do that sort of thing? I'm sure if I tried it I would be frog marched from Etihad.

I wouldn't trust a white Australian with a blunt instrument at the cricket

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Or football

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Probably because most Australians are unco idiots who can't play musical instruments, and would become a nuisance.

Honestly though, it's probably a thing to do with cricket being an all day event where musical instruments wouldn't really gently caress your spectatorship of the sport. I don't get it personally, but I'd be kind of pissed off if someone was blasting a trumpet in my ear at the footy.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Drugs posted:

I wouldn't trust a white Australian with a blunt instrument at the cricket

This. Sri Lankan fans have fun, white guys beat the poo poo out of people

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Gough Suppressant posted:

This. Sri Lankan fans have fun, white guys beat the poo poo out of people

Rassist

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Diet Crack posted:

Honestly though, it's probably a thing to do with cricket being an all day event where musical instruments wouldn't really gently caress your spectatorship of the sport. I don't get it personally, but I'd be kind of pissed off if someone was blasting a trumpet in my ear at the footy.

They banned musical instruments at Adelaide Oval years ago, and it basically took people getting lovely with them not letting the Barrmy Army trumpeter into the ground with his trumpet for them to take one step back and allow approved instruments in on a case by case basis.

Steel drums and bongos on the Clem Hill hill were great during a game, back before and just after they put up the Chappell stands and the Clem Hill stand :sigh:

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

To take it from the other point of view, who's to say that we aren't excluding people from other cultures feeling like they can come to the footy by preventing them from being able to enjoy sport in a way they can relate to? What if the overly strict rules which dampen crowd participation are actively keeping away cultural groups that really enjoy that sort of thing?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

You really want vuvezelas at footy matches? I like being able to hear the whistle, the roar of the crowd and the players on the field when they're nearby. Listening to someone harp on with a poo poo instrument and no musicality would be incessantly annoying.

e: Finals on the other hand.. go nuts.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 9, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

hiddenmovement posted:

To take it from the other point of view, who's to say that we aren't excluding people from other cultures feeling like they can come to the footy by preventing them from being able to enjoy sport in a way they can relate to? What if the overly strict rules which dampen crowd participation are actively keeping away cultural groups that really enjoy that sort of thing?

Everyone in, everyone sits, everyone claps, everyone cheers politely at a middle volume, everyone gets up at half time to buy a venue snack and a non alcoholic drink, everyone returns to their seats, everyone claps, everyone cheers politely at a middle volume, everyone applauds bboth teams and the umpires at the end of the game, everyone queues to buy one item of Playcorp merchandise, everyone files out of the venue in an orderly fashion.

The AFL dream as envisioned and currently being enacted by a HR department. Alcohol, excessive noise, non-regulation cheers, any aggression, these are things that could lead to an incident and a lawsuit, and a PR campaign against them from the Family Morality Organisation for Moral Families.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 9, 2015

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If you think it's a lack of musical instruments that turns away patrons at the footy...

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Everyone in, everyone sits, everyone claps, everyone cheers politely at a middle volume, everyone gets up at half time to buy a venue snack and a non alcoholic drink, everyone returns to their seats, everyone claps, everyone cheers politely at a middle volume, everyone applauds bboth teams and the umpires at the end of the game, everyone queues to buy one item of Playcorp merchandise, everyone files out of the venue in an orderly fashion.

It's a sullen dystopian future to be sure. Could it even be called a sport, unless a thirteen year old girl is there, in the front row, calling an indigenous player an ape? Probably not.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Colour has always been an issue in the AFL. Like what to call the maggots.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
vuvuzelas suck, but drums are good.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Diet Crack posted:

If you think it's a lack of musical instruments that turns away patrons at the footy...

No, I'm just using the instruments as an example. There's a lack of life in the crowd because of excessive rules being enforced by boring ageing white people, and it's probably turning some patrons away/making it duller for the rest of us.

Floggers banned, oversized flags banned, streamers banned, banners over the signage banned, instruments banned, going on after the match banned, having enough beer to get a polite buzz on banned, banging on the signage to make noise banned etc etc etc.

It's especially baffling in Australia because by global standards we are actually pretty well behaved. I remember someone posting the crowd invasion when Franklin kicked his 100th for the year against Carlton to GBS, and people were stunned that this was allowed to happen and that no violence occured.

Volkerball posted:

vuvuzelas suck, but drums are good.

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 9, 2015

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Some of those are pretty dumb examples. People going onto the ground hasn't been banned due to old white people, it's due to games going from 5 or 6 games in Melbourne across as many grounds, compared to more games shared across only 2 grounds.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Also lol at the idea of "a polite buzz" being what people used to get at the footy and can no longer do.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Yes, people getting gently caress eyed drunk is a bad move, but it's actually pretty hard to drink enough to even get a bit tipsy most of the time, and yes there are less grounds but the kids heading out for a kick on the G after the last game on a Sunday is hardly going to cause catastrophic damage that it can't recover from in 6 days time. IIRC it was done away with because of public liability concerns.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

hiddenmovement posted:

Yes, people getting gently caress eyed drunk is a bad move, but it's actually pretty hard to drink enough to even get a bit tipsy most of the time, and yes there are less grounds but the kids heading out for a kick on the G after the last game on a Sunday is hardly going to cause catastrophic damage that it can't recover from in 6 days time. IIRC it was done away with because of public liability concerns.

Yeah, Melbourne has kept a few games a year that had kick to kick after a Sunday twilight game, I'm glad it's coming back more though cause being able to kick the footy on the MCG is loving grand and something all kids should get the chance to do.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Being that I don't drink, am white and an MCC member I am literally one of the old white fogeys you're complaining about minus the old bit though

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

That's why we boo you when the mexican wave comes around (at the cricket, I've not seen one at the footy for ages).

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I think I've only seen the Wave done during lulls in the cricket.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Gough Suppressant posted:

Being that I don't drink, am white and an MCC member I am literally one of the old white fogeys you're complaining about minus the old bit though

So your drunk posts are in fact aneurysms?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Let fans bring instruments into the cheer squad sections of the ground and have them audition to get a 'license' so that we know they can actually play half decently. Maybe direct them to restrict their playing to after goals or before center bounces or something?

One thing the Saints are doing to help with crowd atmosphere at Etihad is to change the way they do ticketing to get more people behind the goals and around the bottom of the ground first. Too bad we'd need more than 5 people to turn up to the games to make this work, but at least they are trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

cpaf posted:

It's a sullen dystopian future to be sure. Could it even be called a sport, unless a thirteen year old girl is there, in the front row, calling an indigenous player an ape? Probably not.

Yes because I was totally talking about bringing back racism, and not that stewards and police will come and give you a warning if you shout loudly or swear, and you weren't at all being pretentious.

It is possible to stamp out racism, sexism and alcohol fueled violence without also stamping out vocal and passionate support, which seems to be flying out the door with them.

• Locked thread