Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
In ToME, 2/4 of my last characters have had the Master not spawn in Dreadfell, is there anything that causes this? or can fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I've never heard of that happening :stare:

Are you playing with the chat function active? See if you can contact Darkgod and ask him about it. He can use admin witchcraft to remotely spawn stuff in your game, including bosses.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
I'll give that a try if I can find him, thanks. I've completely mined out the entire floor on both characters, he's not hiding anywhere. :gonk:

Both characters, oddly, are Necromancers.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Goodchild posted:

In ToME, 2/4 of my last characters have had the Master not spawn in Dreadfell, is there anything that causes this? or can fix it.

If it's still updated, the AWOL bosses mod should be able to fix it, if not, it'll help next time.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Goodchild posted:

One of your addons is causing problems.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Well, I found a room in Tome that I'm never going to go near again in my natural lifetime:

If that's considered spoilery I can link it, but I'm assuming (praying) that's optional.

But seriously, that's horrifying. I'm glad I spam arcane eye everywhere because I can't even imagine how hilariously I would have been instagibbed opening that door.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That's the Room of Death. You get an achievement just for opening the door. Archmage might be overpowered enough to take them without having to come back later.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 6, 2015

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
I play ToME by hitting Z and then fighting everything. Maybe thats why I don't get very far.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010

A Magical Lamp posted:

One of your addons is causing problems.

I don't use any addons, I always assumed they broke achievements (I don't know if that's even true), and I am an achievement whore.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Goodchild posted:

I don't use any addons, I always assumed they broke achievements (I don't know if that's even true), and I am an achievement whore.

As long as the addons are through steam or the client itself, they're fine for TOME.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Goodchild posted:

There are 1386 achievements in ToME.. unlocking a higher difficulty version of an achievement doesn't unlock the lower difficulty version of it..

I wonder if anyone has all of them.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Skwee posted:

There are 1386 achievements in ToME.. unlocking a higher difficulty version of an achievement doesn't unlock the lower difficulty version of it..

I wonder if anyone has all of them.

Looks like "no". Some of the hardest achievements on the hardest difficulty combination have only ever been earned by one player. I think "Nyorori" has everything except the ones for beating holiday events. (Although I have no idea how the hell he accomplished some of these.)

e: it looks like only about 11 players have even won the game on the max difficulty, at least while connected to the internet.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 6, 2015

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
"4999 players unlocked: Cosmetic: Female dwarves facial pilosity"

This is one of the bottom 4 least earned unlocks, but I have it somehow.. I remember when I got it, but I am not sure exactly what I did to get it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I did not know that thousands of people played ToME.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwee posted:

I play ToME by hitting Z and then fighting everything. Maybe thats why I don't get very far.

90% of combat in ToME is tedium, 9% is challenging but not frustrating and actually enjoyable, and 1% is you getting smeared across the ground by some unique which destroys you in a turn or two.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The Insect Court posted:

90% of combat in ToME is tedium, 9% is challenging but not frustrating and actually enjoyable, and 1% is you getting smeared across the ground by some unique which destroys you in a turn or two.

You see, it's posts like this that keep me from trying TOME.

Thank you.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

Thank you.

Yeah, it's pretty sad that Angry Diplomat's rants only describe a tiny amount of the game. It's just badly tuned all around and let's not even get into the part where you fight the same enemies over and over for the last 6 or so dungeons.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

tome somehow manages to be at the top as far as grinding through worthless chaff goes. the open-endedness of the classes is sorta neat and can be colorfully described but the rest of the game is incredibly, painfully dull.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I've played 179 hours of ToME mostly because the charop stuff gives my brain the warm fuzzies, but I really wish it were tightened up a bit. It needs to be like half as long overall, the dungeons need to be dropped to like 1-2 levels each, and enemy variety should really be dropped in favour of making individual enemies more distinct and challenging, instead of 40 types of snakes and rats that all die in 1 hit.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
I've put more hours into ToME than all the other roguelikes I've dabbled in combined simply because I can't stand consumable management.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Frankosity posted:

It needs to be like half as long overall, the dungeons need to be dropped to like 1-2 levels each, and enemy variety should really be dropped in favour of making individual enemies more distinct and challenging, instead of 40 types of snakes and rats that all die in 1 hit.
:agreed:

The Crooked Warden posted:

I've put more hours into ToME than all the other roguelikes I've dabbled in combined simply because I can't stand consumable management.
This, the open world and the class system are things that I really enjoy, but that first quote is 100% truth and a problem of the game that needs to be fixed at some point

The east is such a boring slog :(

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 6, 2015

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

animatorZed posted:

Well, I found a room in Tome that I'm never going to go near again in my natural lifetime:

But seriously, that's horrifying. I'm glad I spam arcane eye everywhere because I can't even imagine how hilariously I would have been instagibbed opening that door.

I cleared that room with a Paradox Mage once. :smug:

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

It's not that hard if you can take 1-2 shots from the big guys and have a lot of escape skills :v:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

You can do it fairly reliably with a strong Berserker if you have Unstoppable (I think? The one that makes you unable to die) and some means of rapidly departing when it's about to wear off.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Skwee posted:

Roll a Corruptor, you'll probably do okay. (On Normal, anyways.)

doctorfrog posted:

Thank you.

He's exaggerating, and if you play on Nightmare then it's more like 90% challenging and interesting and 10% "run the gently caress away from anything that gets you to half health before you kill it."

ToME is hands-down the best roguelike in terms of character class design and how combat works mechanically, and the bosses and itemization aren't bad either. You just have to deal with the fact that it's long as hell and a lot of that length is spent in regular dungeon levels.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 6, 2015

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
TOME has some great ideas that I'll probably shamelessly steal if I ever make a roguelike myself, but I can't stand it for more than an hour or two at a time. I'm not fond of the janky graphics, the random difficulty spikes, and the 300 billion different items that usually only differ by fractional amounts. Also the Daikara, gently caress that place.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

animatorZed posted:

If that's considered spoilery I can link it, but I'm assuming (praying) that's optional.

Fitting music!

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

I have more than 100 hours in dredmor, and have no idea why I didn't think of this when I got there :)

I'm definitely feeling that Tome seems kind of overly long, but so far I'm more or less enjoying the combat mechanics although its hard to keep track of the 50,000 skills and status effects.

For the wild infusions, they also don't seem to always clear the effects I want. Eg I get stunned/frozen. Sometimes Wild / Physical doesn't get rid of them. I know effects can also be magical or mental, but I definitely feel like I use the physical rune and still have negative physical effects left on me.

Also I've had more than a few difficult encounters resorting back to abusing stairs / level transitions. Enter area, nuke some enemies, retreat, reset cooldowns etc. Even for single bosses if I get a few bad status effects I'll hop back and basically re-roll the fight.
Burning/Wet effects prevent zoning, and I'm also not sure how to mitigate/reduce these.

With the absurd number of damage shields and dps the archmage has, what really gets me now is being stunlocked / frozen / silenced and getting important skills stuck on cooldown by stun/burn.

dis astranagant posted:

That's the Room of Death. You get an achievement just for opening the door. Archmage might be overpowered enough to take them without having to come back later.

This is a trick, you're in league with the orcs trying to goad me into walking into a deathtrap :colbert:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

You're probably going to want 100% stun/freeze immunity, hands down, on any class. Archmage in particular really wants a lot of silence immunity too, but that's kind of a bitch to get a lot of unless you find the artifact amulet Vox, in which case it's really really easy to have a lot of. Raising your saves can help a lot too, but stacking immunity is better against those specific threats.

Infusions only clear one negative status effect at a time, even if they're multiple-type. If you're stunned, confused, and, say, bleeding at the same time, a physical/mental wild infusion might clear the bleed and leave the (much, much worse) stun and confusion untouched. I usually try to have two multiple-type wild infusions so I can clear any type of effect, and can mash them both if I really really need to clear something bad like an untimely stun or confuse.

If you manage to clear every orc pride, go back and talk to the paladin boss. She'll give you a very good skill that lets you smash a good-sized chunk out of the duration of every single debuff currently afflicting you.

e: Actually I'm not 100% sure what triggers Aeryn giving you the skill, you might be able to get it earlier than that. Maybe you just have to clear one pride? I don't remember. Anyway it's a good skill so check in with your sis every once in a while to see if she'll teach it to you.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 6, 2015

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Roll a Corruptor, you'll probably do okay. (On Normal, anyways.)

I don't think I have that class unlocked

e: just started a doombringer and on searing halls or w/e the place you start in I ran into a lvl 30 dude while I am lvl 2. I think it was because I activated some statue, but drat I dunno, I ran away though to the next level haha.

Skwee fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 6, 2015

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Aeryn will give you the status clearing skill as soon as you take on the quest to exterminate the orc prides, so you can get it the first time you reach the city in the East.

Doombringer is probably still my easiest win. That class is absolutely bonkers. Activating the statues can do a few different things, and one of those is summoning demons. They cease to be a threat by the teens or so, but messing with the statues in the starting zone is incredibly dangerous.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
My biggest problem with ToME is the constant arms race between applying and clearing key debuffs. The gameplay revolves around them to a large extent and its finickiness can grow tiresome.

Still a good game however, and I particularly like the lack of consumable spam in a roguelike.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
They nerfed the effects of stun/freeze pretty hard a few versions back. It no longer immobilizes and only puts 4 randomly selected skills on cooldown instead of all of them.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They nerfed the effects of stun/freeze pretty hard a few versions back. It no longer immobilizes and only puts 4 randomly selected skills on cooldown instead of all of them.

They may be relatively weaker but they're still immensely disruptive and dangerous, and some stuns last a very long time. Trying to hold your own in a challenging encounter while stunned will almost certainly get you killed. Your options are either to immediately clear the stun, escape, or desperately turtle up depending on class and circumstances.

It wouldn't be irritating if they weren't so prevalent.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Sentry is on the hunt.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
God Brogue is so loving good. Every other old-school style roguelike should copy that look and interface post-haste.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
If anyone with Sproggiwood wants to kick Savage mode around, you can use the beta branch unlock code 'thanksforallthefish' in the Betas tab of Sproggiwood in the Steam client.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
Had a roguelike dev lunch at GDC.

From left to right: 0.2 of me, fellow goon Hand of Luke (Qud, Sproggiwood), Brodie Lee (Timespinner), Ryan Clark (Necrodancer), you can't see Adam Meyers (Sunless Sea) but he's there, then there's Aubrey Serr (Overgrowth). On the right in the back was a teacher of AI and Procedural Development, then Tanya Short (Shattered Planet, Moon Hunters), Kornel Kisielewicz (DoomRL) and Kenny Backus (Sky Rogue)

I got to hang out with Kornel at a party the night before, he is awesome.

Hand of Luke and I also bumped into dudes from Spry Fox and Desktop Dungeons, and basically roguelikes roguelikes roguelikes. Roguelikes bestlikes.

e: Thanks, fixed!
VVV

madjackmcmad fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 9, 2015

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Overgrowth dude is Aubrey Serr!

It was a blast meeting everyone. madjackmcmad is basically the nicest dude ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

hand of luke posted:

Overgrowth dude is Aubrey Serr!

It was a blast meeting everyone. madjackmcmad is basically the nicest dude ever.

That must have been neat! Did Serr mention whether or not he's ever going to actually finish Overgrowth?