Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

When I thought Origins was going to be about Black Mask hiring in these assassins to take on Batman, I thought it might be a really neat look at that period of time where the supervillains hadn't really come into their own yet, and we were going to see an old school mob guy (albeit with a dramatic flourish) inadvertently usher in the era of crazy over-the-top guys muscling out the mobsters and thugs and making things weird.

In the end they seemed to be kind of going that way, with Sionis apparently dealing with this new presence in town called Joker, so the reveal that it had simply been Joker all along and Black Mask had nothing to do with the assassin scheme after all was a real disappointment. Instead of seeing the start of the transition, it seemed it had already happened, the crazies were already in charge by the time Origin starts - hell, after it's revealed Joker has been running everything, the back half of the game is about him and Bane switching places back and forth as the primary antagonist, it's just that Batman doesn't figure it out until halfway through the game. Spoilered that since other people still seem to be spoiling Origins storyline stuff

Origins gets a lot right, including doing some things better than Rocksteady did (Bane is still not great, but he's a hell of a lot better than Asylum or City), and it gets a fair bit wrong too, but I'm still disappointed that we did get to see the transition from mobsters and thugs at the start of the game, and costumed lunatics coming into their own by the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Speaking of Joker, how do you goons feel about Endgame? I only ask because I really hope centuries old abomination Slenderjoker doesn't catch on in the games.
I think Snyder overall has had a pretty great run under his belt, but having these two HorrorMonsterJoker stories take place right after each other does him no favors. Death of the Family (which I think most people consider a weaker arc) ends, like a week passes, and then Joker is back immediately causing mayhem all over again. My problem with Snyder's Joker is that he's nowhere near as scary as I think Sndyer thinks he's supposed to be. It's all so over the top, but not in an entertaining way. However, I am very curious to see how this arc ends, as I really can't imagine your spoilered take on the character sticking.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

You might want to try another superhero my friend.
I would pay a lot of money to play a Flash game since all his villains are great

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Hopefully the popularity of the Flash tv show will make it happen. Speaking of which I started watching that recently, and it's loving great. I think it's funny that the hero is secretly in love with the cop's daughter just like in Arrow.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
There was that canned Flash PS2 game and he wasn't particularly popular then compared to now or when the first Flash tv show as on years ago. So it wouldn't be unrealistic to see a real one now. It'd be interesting if they made one that was like completely totally trippy in showing someone moving that fast, like if it basically just looked like Rez or something.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think a big reason is nobody can figure out how to do the gameplay of a Flash game. Also I guess you don't have to be popular to have a game, since there was that one Aquaman game.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think a big reason is nobody can figure out how to do the gameplay of a Flash game.

I'd imagine lots of bullet time.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Saints Row 4 has superspeed and it rules.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Make it like three hours long like Way of the Samurai as you zip through and quickly obliterate everything but have dozens of variations depending on who you talk to at first/which way you run/etc. and have a bunch of varied endings based on that ranging from like the earth explodes to Flash successfully runs to some city to and back in a half second to buy some groceries when his favorite store is out of stuff.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah I don't get the love for Black mask. I'm as tired of Joker as the next guy but at least he's interesting. Black Mask is just a generic mobster.
I was hoping they had some interesting idea for him, since he didn't seem like the villain you'd lazily chuck in because it was expected. A bunch of Batman villains have been had successful reworkings over the years, and it might have been his turn. Except it wasn't.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Speaking of Joker, how do you goons feel about Endgame? I only ask because I really hope centuries old abomination Slenderjoker doesn't catch on in the games.

I want Snyder to do something other than big epic stories and I want him to stop using the Joker so much.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think a big reason is nobody can figure out how to do the gameplay of a Flash game. Also I guess you don't have to be popular to have a game, since there was that one Aquaman game.

The gently caress are you talking about? Super-speed is easy as gently caress to do in a game. The Pepsi-style mascot of video games, Sonic's, entire gimmick is going fast. It's not that hard to figure out how to make a game around The Flash, it's that licensed properties are almost universally relegated to shovelware developers because well, why the gently caress do you need to hire an actual team of developers and make a good game when you've got the brand that'll sell the game for you anyway combined with the fact that until extremely recently--and even then only in the realm of TV--Time Warner has no loving clue what to do with any of DC's characters other than Batman.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Jurgan posted:

I'd imagine lots of bullet time.

This would have to be the case, especially for the running. It would be impossible for the game to stream in everything you saw while running at Flash-speed, even if it was automated. This was a problem in InFamous: Second Son, an open-world superhero game where one of your peers is to turn into a mass of neon and run at high speeds. The devs had issues optimising the texture streaming so you could run at those speeds without constant pop-in. The running speed in the final game is the very fastest they could manage, and it's a small fraction of what Barry can pull off.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

mind the walrus posted:

The gently caress are you talking about? Super-speed is easy as gently caress to do in a game. The Pepsi-style mascot of video games, Sonic's, entire gimmick is going fast. It's not that hard to figure out how to make a game around The Flash, it's that licensed properties are almost universally relegated to shovelware developers because well, why the gently caress do you need to hire an actual team of developers and make a good game when you've got the brand that'll sell the game for you anyway combined with the fact that until extremely recently--and even then only in the realm of TV--Time Warner has no loving clue what to do with any of DC's characters other than Batman.

I don't even see how you can compare Sonic's speed or Saints Row 4's running to The Flash. Dude can run fast enough to go through time for fucks sake.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

1997 Superman was extremely recently?

I don't even see how you can compare Sonic's speed or Saints Row 4's running to The Flash. Dude can run fast enough to go through time for fucks sake.

Which is why both the Flash and Superman kind of suck unless you are telling a particular type of story or you power them down. Which is what you would have to do in a videogame anyway.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

can flash go back in time or just forwards

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Some of the Flashs are literally from hundreds of years in the future, and they came back in time to fight crime because.......?

The Reverse-Flash is also from the future, and hates The Flash so much that he went back in time to make sure Barry's life sucked rear end by making sure he never had any friends as a kid and stuff like that.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 9, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh god we're actually trying to quantify the incredibly fluid powers of fictional heroes who have been around longer than your parents have been alive? Yeah good loving luck with that. It's like arguing how you kill a vampire-- you kill them however the gently caress you want because they're not real they exist solely within the parameters you set you dense manchild.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Some of the Flashs are literally from hundreds of years in the future, and they came back in time to fight crime because.......?

The Reverse-Flash is also from the future, and hates The Flash so much that he went back in time to make sure Barry's life sucked rear end by making sure he never had any friends as a kid and stuff like that.

I would totally play a Planescape: Torment type game about the Flash.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Oh god we're actually trying to quantify the incredibly fluid powers of fictional heroes who have been around longer than your parents have been alive? Yeah good loving luck with that. It's like arguing how you kill a vampire-- you kill them however the gently caress you want because they're not real they exist solely within the parameters you set you dense manchild.

You seem pretty angry about this.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

surc posted:

You seem pretty angry about this.

It'd be easier for you if I was, wouldn't it?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

mind the walrus posted:

I use hard evidence, sir.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I've been playing Lego Batman 2, and it is a loving wonderful game. Even the Flash's powers work. See, he moves faster then any other person, and builds stuff faster too!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Here's some footage of that cancelled Flash game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSw3YUnsCz4

I am really upset that I did not get a rad open world Central City with a visitable Flash Museum. :(

surc
Aug 17, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

It'd be easier for you if I was, wouldn't it?

I have no idea what this means.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
True Story: I had no idea who Black Mask was until I saw Under the Red Hood. Pretty much, if they weren't in Batman TAS, then they didn't exist for me.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Lego superhero games are a really great way to kill a chill weekend - lego batman 2 is basically "batman and superman: the game". Lego Marvel quite cheerfully bases itself off of the movie universe (with added roles for other Marvel properties) and is an absolute blast.

The first Lego Batman game isn't all that great, but half the game has you playing as an ever-revolving list of villains. So although you get the expected circus level with Harley and the joker, there's bank heists with riddler and clayface - there's a lot of love poured into those titles.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

blackguy32 posted:

True Story: I had no idea who Black Mask was until I saw Under the Red Hood. Pretty much, if they weren't in Batman TAS, then they didn't exist for me.

He was in the TAS comics, interestingly enough. Anarky, too.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I was hoping they had some interesting idea for him, since he didn't seem like the villain you'd lazily chuck in because it was expected. A bunch of Batman villains have been had successful reworkings over the years, and it might have been his turn. Except it wasn't.

I'd never heard of him until the game, I thought he would be some sort of mask-obsessed guy, and given the title of Origins and the fact that City was all about having a villain who knew who Batman was, I figured he would sort of be a primary antagonist trying to figure out who this new Batman guy was behind the mask. Then he just shouted at people and tried to fistfight you like an idiot. Too bad.

surc posted:

I have no idea what this means.

It means stop trying to start an argument by making smug comments about how angry other people are.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I want to see a Telltale adventure game starring Flash.

"Two bad things are happening at the same time! Do you save Alice, Bob or both because you are the goddamn Flash?"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I thought it was pretty cool how Black Mask fights you alongside his goons, rather than forcing you to chase him down or something.

Too bad that means he's just a glorified henchman. He's the only side boss not to get a HP bar, and he was billed as the main villain.

I mean even Bird got an HP. BIRD.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

mind the walrus posted:

If you're trying to justify how superspeed is hella easy to do in a game, Sonic is probably not the best example since basically all of Sonic's 3D games have demonstrated that superspeed is actually really hard to do in a non side-scroller!

Of course, I would play a Flash side-scroller so it's sort of a moot point.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I mean even Bird got an HP. BIRD.

I forgot who Bird even was for a minute. What was even with that side plot.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Supposedly this the exact reason Knight gets an M:

http://www.pcgamer.com/why-batman-arkham-knight-is-rated-m-2/

Not read it myself, but those who live dangerously have something to go over. :v:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

There's absolutely nothing spoilery in that.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I'm curious as to how full frontal male nudity is going to fit into this game.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I'm imagining Joker's voice.

'Oooh Batman...I've been waiting for you'

Batman: :stare:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

There's a reasonably spoilery implication that you'll play as the Arkham Knight at some point but that's it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

Supposedly this the exact reason Knight gets an M:

http://www.pcgamer.com/why-batman-arkham-knight-is-rated-m-2/

Not read it myself, but those who live dangerously have something to go over. :v:
"one room depicts a person torturing a character on a bloody operating table"

Hello, Hush.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

redbackground posted:

"one room depicts a person torturing a character on a bloody operating table"

Hello, Hush.

While extremely likely that it's him, that could just as easily be Black Mask given his reputation.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Well, Batman is captured and held prisoner on Arsenal Gear, but when he escapes he has only his cowl. Nobody knows what Bruce Wayne's penis looks like, so he doesn't need to hide it while fighting twenty men flinching away from his twirling, naked body.

The super stun is exactly what you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

There's a reasonably spoilery implication that you'll play as the Arkham Knight at some point but that's it.

I thought that was referencing to the Red Hood and Harley DLCs. Or are those not considered for rating?

• Locked thread