Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

But vocal support is threatening! My children's ears shouldn't be susceptible to this brutish behaviour!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Diet Crack posted:

So your drunk posts are in fact aneurysms?

I don't think I've ever claimed different!

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

hiddenmovement posted:

That's why we boo you when the mexican wave comes around (at the cricket, I've not seen one at the footy for ages).

I think I've seen the Melbourne forward line start up a Mexican wave a few times due to boredom

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Sorry, I just don't think I've ever seen someone have roughly 92 of them in a season and live.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Diet Crack posted:

Sorry, I just don't think I've ever seen someone have roughly 92 of them in a season and live.

I think it's more accurate to describe them as some form of psychotic episode

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Well the other reason I think the atmosphere is weaker then it was is the domination of the more succesful clubs. I know I've harped on about his before but Geelong fans are a lot less vocal than they used to be because they are spoilt. 3 premierships and constant top 4 finishes for a decade. We are fat, happy and content. We barely raised a whisper when we beat Port Adelaide in last years semi.

Contrast that with the noise North Melbourne's rather small fanbase made during this years semi final. They've been middling on the ladder for years, sometimes scraping into the eight, but often not, their last real finals tilt back in '07 ended in humilation. The roar when they surged ahead and the boos for Selwood were deafening. Their fanbase is starved for a bit of success and they made a fuckload more noise then we did. For us, we can shrug and say oh well we've made the prelim in '13, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07 and '04. That sort of thing quietens the soul somewhat.

A mixup of the ladder order would do wonders for the league. (See: Port's crowds 2014).

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

hiddenmovement posted:

Contrast that with the noise North Melbourne's rather small fanbase made during this years semi final. They've been middling on the ladder for years, sometimes scraping into the eight, but often not, their last real finals tilt back in '07 ended in humilation. The roar when they surged ahead and the boos for Selwood were deafening. Their fanbase is starved for a bit of success and they made a fuckload more noise then we did. For us, we can shrug and say oh well we've made the prelim in '13, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07 and '04. That sort of thing quietens the soul somewhat.

God help you all when Essendon finally do get their poo poo together then and start winning finals.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

thepokey posted:

God help you all when Essendon finally do get their poo poo together then and start winning finals.

Is this before or after they've broken off into their own league?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Gough Suppressant posted:

Is this before or after they've broken off into their own league?

After. We'll break away first. Realise we're playing the bye every week. Sue the AFL and the other 17 clubs for not following us to our league. Lose. Appeal. Lose. Appeal. Lose. Rejoin the AFL.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I finally got around to doing some testing of the local AFL streaming on my little Tronsmart box:
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tron...SPD_Feed_324693

I've got it plugged into a 42" tv, and you use the AFL app on the Android box which weirdly runs like a phone on the screen, but when it playing a video it goes full screen. At its best resolution I have to say the image quality is very much watchable, its not amazing by any standards, but you're not missing any of the action. My only concern is about the being able to get the high resolution feed during a live game in the real season, i.e. if Telstra can't handle the load and give everyone the crappy low bandwidth version.

I think its a great alternative to Foxtel, at this point in time.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2015-03-10/tickets-please

I can't even begin to describe how retarded this is..

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Diet Crack posted:

Seems like there'll be a lot more empty seats at sold out games with rich dickheads buying tickets at the start of the season and not bothering cancelling when they realise they can't be hosed actually turning up?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I'm really really loving glad that the first I heard of Jesse Hogan sustaining a potentially serious foot injury in the game vs Freo was in an article saying that scans were done and it was all good.

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

Diet Crack posted:

Is it just me or does Scooter look quite old in that promotional shot? WCE; oldest looking team in the AFL

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Well a ten ton of surgery doesn't help a mans ageing. Sports surgery that is. I think it's because his eyebrows look a lot like wrinkles.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl...v-1227257933908

Kevin Sheedy posted:

While an opponent is not yet locked in, Sheedy set the game would likely pay tribute everyday Aussies who’ve endured tough times.

Generic time at the G?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Bigfootys campaign for white hetero male round may finally come to fruition!

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
The "White History Month" of football

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Drugs posted:

The "White History Month" of football

Bigfootys campaign for white hetero male round may finally come to fruition!

:hfive:

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
I thought the Eureka game was for tough times?
Wait, does the Eureka game still even exist?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

pkid posted:

I'm going to Melbourne vs bulldogs at eureka stadium on Saturday does that count?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

pkid posted:

The union game? Yeah I thought it did. North V Rich?

Maybe it just got eclipsed by KBs meltdown

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I'm going to Melbourne vs bulldogs at eureka stadium on Saturday does that count?

Melbourne and the Doggies are certainly the right teams to celebrate tough times.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Better not be like a "Battlers Battle" or something like that. Then you'll have people crawling out of the woodwork with ACA style stories all over the footy. or maybe it'll be a round to celebrate Baby Boomers who have had it tough.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Lower Than Expected Capital Appreciation on Investment Property Round

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Drugs posted:

Lower Than Expected Capital Appreciation on Investment Property Round

This will basically be a thing when the housing market pops, mark my words.

I want a multicultural round where all 1st or second generation immigrants get free tickets. I would sit on bigfooty all week and watch it burn.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

thepokey posted:

Better not be like a "Battlers Battle" or something like that. Then you'll have people crawling out of the woodwork with ACA style stories all over the footy. or maybe it'll be a round to celebrate Baby Boomers who have had it tough.

Nothing quite like watching the most entitled generation in existence complain about how hard it was being able to walk into a business and find a job, pay pennies for a house and receive free education up the whazoo.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Nutsngum posted:

Nothing quite like watching the most entitled generation in existence complain about how hard it was being able to walk into a business and find a job, pay pennies for a house and receive free education up the whazoo.

That basically sums up every person I ever spoke to on the phone in customer service. We dubbed them, collectively, "Murray from Caboolture".

Murray generally always thinks he deserves a hand out and $5 knocked off his bill, makes the 3 properties a little easier to deal with. So god help if he finds out they're considering dedicating a round of footy to him and he doesn't get it.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

pkid posted:

Melbourne and the Doggies are certainly the right teams to celebrate tough times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9py4aMK3aIU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Negative Gearing Round

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Lindsay Tanner has been appointed to the Essendon board. Glad it wasn't Costello.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

That's you. This is me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5DIjKEAnXQ

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

1950s Melbourne = 1980s Flair
2015 Melbourne = 2015 Flair

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

thepokey posted:

That basically sums up every person I ever spoke to on the phone in customer service. We dubbed them, collectively, "Murray from Caboolture".

Murray generally always thinks he deserves a hand out and $5 knocked off his bill, makes the 3 properties a little easier to deal with. So god help if he finds out they're considering dedicating a round of footy to him and he doesn't get it.

It truly is difficult being a landlord, having to maintain basic living conditions for the 20 somethings paying you exorbitant rent on the land you inherited and subdivided.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

The Deadly Hume posted:

Yep. He'd been in broadcasting a while - he came in about the same time as Tim Lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImaiRcDGbO4

I don't think he was that good at commentating cricket to be honest but when it came to football he was pretty good at conveying the mood of the game.

Thanks for posting that. I dropped in to hear the voice and ended up cracking a few beers and watching the whole thing.

Brilliant and I miss Peter Brock.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Flare as in forgetting to, and then crashing and burning?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Gee, Nick Stevens seems like a lovely bloke...

The Age posted:

A magistrate has signalled he will jail former AFL star Nick Stevens for assaulting his ex-girlfriend in what was described in a court as "sustained violence" against a woman.

Stevens, 35, who played 231 games for Port Adelaide and Carlton, was in January found guilty of five counts of assault, two charges of intentionally causing injury, three of making threats to kill and single counts of threatening serious injury and criminal damage.

The charges related to incidents in 2012 and 2013 against his girlfriend of the time, including one instance on April 27, 2013 when he pushed the woman's head into a brick wall.

Stevens was found not guilty of a number of charges, while some alternate offences were withdrawn.

The former Carlton vice-captain admitted sending 2500 text messages to the woman in a two-month period and spending time with her at a P!nk concert, in a hotel room, at a pub and at friends' homes.

Leading Senior Constable Mark Sontag, prosecuting, told Ringwood Magistrates Court the text messages Stevens sent the woman included psychological abuse, threats of violence and claims he would self-harm, which made her feel manipulated.

In one text, the court heard, Stevens told the woman she would find herself "six foot under", while in another he threatened to "smash" in the mouth a man who was preparing to give evidence in court against him.

Magistrate Nunzio La Rosa, who earlier this year found Stevens guilty after a contested hearing, described the offending as "sustained violence" against a woman he was in a relationship with, and found he had not shown any remorse.

Stevens' contested hearing was told he assaulted the woman after she confronted him over his alleged infidelity during their relationship.
Mr La Rosa accepted character evidence Stevens was a great footballer and of otherwise good character, but said community standards expected an immediate jail term to be a "starting point" in sentencing in serious cases of domestic violence.

"This is an example, in my view, of not his general attitude towards women. It is his attitude .... of the person he is in a relationship with. That is the issue that the community is currently grappling with," he said.

The magistrate cited as the basis for his view a case in which a County Court judge imposed a three-month jail term on a man who had assaulted a woman at a nightclub. The man was initially fined by a magistrate, but prosecutors launched an appeal and argued that penalty was inadequate. The Court of Appeal later upheld the judge's decision.

Defence counsel Serge Petrovich said Stevens had paid a bigger price for his offending than most, given his profile and because the guilty verdicts had ruined his coaching career.

Stevens was sacked as coach of South Australian side Glenelg on the day he was found guilty, and AFL side St Kilda had earlier told him they could not consider him for an assistant coach role because of the charges against him, the court heard.

Mr Petrovich said his client, who retired from the AFL in 2009 because of a neck injury, did not suffer from alcohol, drug or psychological problems.

Friends, including former Carlton chief executive Michael Malouf, also lauded his good character, leadership and the role he played as the friend of a disabled boy.

The court heard Stevens and his ex-girlfriend had a tumultuous relationship, and that in the text messages he sent between June and August 2013, he said he loved her, but also called her a "f...ing bitch" and a "slut", and threatened that his lawyers would portray her as a "crack whore".

Leading Senior Constable Sontag said one text read: "No worries, I'll end my life. F... you."

Another said: "Enjoy the damage. I will. But just remember you asked for it."

Stevens said in one text he would "smash the c... in the mouth", in a reference to a man who was to give evidence against him.

The court heard the woman also sent about 2500 text messages during this period despite the intervention order in place. The order, which prevented any contact between the pair, was later varied to allow contact, the court heard.

Mr La Rosa accepted Stevens was distressed at the time, but also asked if he was trying to coerce the woman into withdrawing her allegations of violence.

Mr Petrovich insisted his client was not trying to pervert the course of justice.

Stevens had his bail extended and is likely to be sentenced next week.

"but he is a good bloke your honor, can kick a footy and is friends with a cripple"

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Ben Cousins has been arrested in Perth again.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Shmoses posted:

Ben Cousins has been arrested in Perth again.

:ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Richmond to consider giving him another run.

• Locked thread