Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

sauber cut ties with simona because her backers didn't offer enough money, or possibly any money at all. she is of literally no relevance to vdg/sutil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Sulman posted:

Some teams, like any business, perfectly deserve to go under.

That's fine... when everyone is playing by the same rules and is entitled to the same prize money. See; Ferrari for most of the history of the sport (and the fact that they get paid more just for being Ferrari).

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

guys i don't like sauber they're too unethical and i also don't understand irony

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

darth cookie posted:

That's fine... when everyone is playing by the same rules and is entitled to the same prize money. See; Ferrari for most of the history of the sport (and the fact that they get paid more just for being Ferrari).

right. and every five years they threaten to quit in order to squeeze more TV money out of FOM, despite being a large and hugely profitable company who in no way needs extra funding. and then the small teams get hosed out of revenue they actually need to survive, are forced to hire drivers with as much sponsorship as possible, and that's how we get where we are with van der garde. but please, tell me more about how sauber are the bad guys.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

be nice wicka posted:

sauber cut ties with simona because her backers didn't offer enough money, or possibly any money at all. she is of literally no relevance to vdg/sutil.

We don't know that. She had a budget; it is more likely Sauber wanted a substantial advance with very risky terms. Simona had a budget.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Sulman posted:

We don't know that. She had a budget; it is more likely Sauber wanted a substantial advance with very risky terms. Simona had a budget.

lol OK

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

hey guys let's redefine reality in order to support our new irrational hatred of sauber on 3

1 2 3 ARGH gently caress SAUBER

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

sauber is the team that brought frentzen, raikkonen, massa and kubica in the sport. they gave vettel his first race seat. they have somehow made it work for 20 years despite far more well-funded teams collapsing around them. they've hit a rough patch recently and in order to survive they've had to resort to the same poo poo teams have been doing since the dawn of auto racing. if you are rooting for a poo poo pay driver to dig their grave over this then you are an unconscionably bad person.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Be nice be nice wicka, remember which thread you are in.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

NOTICE ME
I can't think of a single interesting thing to write about Shanghai. If anyone has some good races that happened there, I'd be happy to edit.

Chinese GP, Shanghai International Circuit.

Track Length: 5.451 km (3.387 mi)
Race Length: 305.066 km (189.559 mi)
Laps: 56
Track Record: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari - 2004 (1:32.238)

2014 China GP
Pole: Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes (1:53.860)
Podium: Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes (1:36:52.810)
Nico Rosberg - Mercedes (+18:686s)
Fernando Alonso - Ferrari (+25.765s)

Shanghai International Raceway was built on a swamp, as befitting an F1 track. It was built partly through government funds, and in 2007, a former manager was convicted of embezzlement as part of a corruption scandal which also implicated several Chinese Communist party officials. China has clearly fully embraced the F1 ethos.

Shanghai is another of the modern tracks designed by Hermann Tilke, with the only thing distinguishing it from any other of his tracks is the tight turn in to corners 1-2.

Shanghai first appeared on the F1 Calendar in 2004, with a win by Rubens Barrichello for Ferrari. It also saw the final F1 win by Michael Schumacher, in 2006. Mercedes won it in a walk in 2014, with Hamilton leading the entire race from Pole.

Hamilton has won in China three times, although 2007, was not one of those. Failing to successfully navigate the pit lane cost him the race, and the championship.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KglbcTs0vWk

Funzo fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 9, 2015

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Funzo posted:

NOTICE ME
I can't think of a single interesting thing to write about Shanghai. If anyone has some good races that happened there, I'd be happy to edit.

Chinese GP, Shanghai International Circuit.

Track Length: 5.451 km (3.387 mi)
Race Length: 305.066 km (189.559 mi)
Laps: 56
Track Record: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari - 2004 (1:32.238)

2014 China GP
Pole: Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes (1:53.860)
Podium: Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes (1:36:52.810)
Nico Rosberg - Mercedes (+18:686s)
Fernando Alonso - Ferrari (+25.765s)

Shanghai International Raceway was built on a swamp, as befitting an F1 track. It was built partly through government funds, and in 2007, a former manager was convicted of embezzlement as part of a corruption scandal which also implicated several Chinese Communist party officials. China has clearly fully embraced the F1 ethos.

Shanghai is another of the modern tracks designed by Hermann Tilke, with the only thing distinguishing it from any other of his tracks is the tight turn in to corners 1-2.

Shanghai first appeared on the F1 Calendar in 2004, with a win by Rubens Barrichello for Ferrari. It also saw the final F1 win by Michael Schumacher, in 2006. Mercedes won it in a walk in 2014, with Hamilton leading the entire race from Pole.

Shangai is cool because Lewis Hamilton lost a WDC there

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
lmfao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KglbcTs0vWk

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

El Hefe posted:

Shangai is cool because Lewis Hamilton lost a WDC there

Duly noted, and added.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

shanghai is shaped like the first character in the chinese spelling of "shanghai"

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

be nice wicka posted:

they gave vettel his first race seat.

Ban sauber.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Listen guys, I know Sauber pretty much literally created Hitler but it's an unfair sport and the small teams gotta do what they can to survive.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Sauber intercepts food and water shipments to famine and drought stricken children in Africa, but they need to sell that water and food to make enough money to keep the team afloat in this rough patch. If you don't like this, you don't support small teams in F1. Wake up to reality, idiots.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Sauber may have been responsible for 9/11, but that's basically the same poo poo every team in F1 has had to do at some point to stay afloat. If you don't support Sauber's actions you're a piece of poo poo.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

be nice wicka posted:

sauber is the team that brought frentzen, raikkonen, massa and kubica in the sport. they gave vettel his first race seat.

Enough said.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Sauber is a Switzerland government plot to make racing so terrible that it gets banned world wide.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

are you trolling yourself

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Ok, Sauber are dealing with some contract poo poo with VDG (hosed if I'm trying to spell htat) and Sutil, Force India are having cash flow troubles... Marussia are going to be on the grid for Australia?

Can someone please tell me how many teams I can expect to see in a race this year please, I'm confused as gently caress. We lost Caterham right?... and almost Marussia but they're now definitely back.. and.. is that 11 teams still? or am I completely forgetting some other forgettable hack team that we lost?

I can't keep up with teams coming and going at the moment, feel like I might have missed something important by generally not giving a gently caress about them in the first place.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
With Manor Marussia we have 10 teams. They will supposedly use last year's Ferrari engines.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Riso posted:

With Manor Marussia we have 10 teams. They will supposedly use last year's Ferrari engines.

for the first part of the season they will be running a hastily modified 2014 chassis with the 2014 ferrari PU, but they will transition to a new chassis with the new engine at some point. i don't think ferrari wants to keep supplying the old one.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Riso posted:

lol

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Could we a see a DNQ? Who Knows?!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I also did not realize we had a bunch of Sauber die hards here.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

be nice wicka posted:

sauber is the team that brought frentzen, raikkonen, massa and kubica in the sport. they gave vettel his first race seat. they have somehow made it work for 20 years despite far more well-funded teams collapsing around them. they've hit a rough patch recently and in order to survive they've had to resort to the same poo poo teams have been doing since the dawn of auto racing. if you are rooting for a poo poo pay driver to dig their grave over this then you are an unconscionably bad person.

saving money by the novel method of not honoring the contracts you write is going slightly beyond being scrappy underdogs.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

saving money by the novel method of not honoring the contracts you write is going slightly beyond being scrappy underdogs.

exactly, slightly beyond scrappy underdogs into the realm of established teams

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

be nice wicka posted:

for the first part of the season they will be running a hastily modified 2014 chassis with the 2014 ferrari PU, but they will transition to a new chassis with the new engine at some point. i don't think ferrari wants to keep supplying the old one.

I have a feeling they still have 5-6 spare engines lying around from last year.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

-------------------------
notice me
-------------------------

Sergio "Checo" Perez

Nationality: Mexican
Born: 26 January 1990 (25)
Car Number: 11

2015 will be Perez' 5th season in F1. In 2005 he lived in a restaurant owned by his Formula BMW team manager (luxurious, compared to a Stevenage couch); won a British Formula Three championship in 2007; finished 4th in international Formula Three in 2008, and finished his 2009 season in GP2 in 12th place.

Perez brought his Telmex money to Sauber in 2011. He took his first F1 points in Spain, with a 9th place, and finished the season in 16th place with 14 points. Perez stayed with Sauber in 2012, strongly criticized Pastor Maldonado for his reckless driving style, and managed a 2nd place finish to Fernando Alonso at Malaysia (Sauber's best independent team result). He finished the season in 10th place with 66 points. In 2012 Perez replaced Hamilton at McLaren. He took his share of criticism for his own driving style from teammate Jenson Button, and Kimi Raikkonen who said he should be "punched in the face", and finished in 11th place with 49 points. In 2014 Checo moved to Force India, where he managed a 3rd place at Bahrain, and a mixed bag of nothing else exciting for the rest of the season. He returns to Force India (assuming they are able to compete) on a contract that extends until 2016.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Brainwrong posted:

BAN THIS SEXIST PIG!

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Lol I like him now

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

lmao. that loving owns

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ugh. Gross. Just ugh.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

he's the hero this thread deserves

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
He's right

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i miss heikki

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

be nice wicka posted:

i miss heikki

Well he's so fast, you would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

be nice wicka posted:

shanghai is shaped like the first character in the chinese spelling of "shanghai"

Except on my phone, where the track image is tiny and kind of looks like a grumpy bird sat on its arse.

• Locked thread