Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

kanonvandekempen posted:

Exactly, I loved Minsc, but I was about 14 at the time, and I probably didn't even know enough English to know the writing was bad.

I'm glad I still haven't grown so "mature" as to not be able to enjoy silly goofy characters like Minsc without caring about their specific level of writing quality. It's not like he was someone meant to be taken that seriously in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

enraged_camel posted:

Actually, wizards had a spell that made them completely immune to magic weapons (and also one for normal weapons). If you wanted to do any damage with your fancy fighters at all you first needed to cast breach or remove magic with your wizard to dispel that and hope that the other guy failed the saving throw. Otherwise you were basically powerless until the spell ran its full course, during which the wizard could completely decimate you.

Also, don't forget spells like Time Stop, which had zero counters.

I think the counter to every mage in BG2 is "be an inquisitor."

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Kanfy posted:

I'm glad I still haven't grown so "mature" as to not be able to enjoy silly goofy characters like Minsc without caring about their specific level of writing quality. It's not like he was someone meant to be taken that seriously in the first place.

Yep. So many Minsc haters in this thread. Boo is outraged!

I also don't understand what is bad about the writing. I really enjoy the dialogue even today.

quote:

Sarevok Anchev: Ranger, turn your rodent's gaze another direction! I will not be scrutinised as though by some ridiculous divining rod!
Minsc: Boo has an uncanny judge of character, but you... you give him trouble.
Sarevok Anchev: I'll give him more than that if this continues! I nearly conquered a nation! I will not be judged by a creature that stores nuts in its cheeks!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

enraged_camel posted:

Actually, wizards had a spell that made them completely immune to magic weapons (and also one for normal weapons). If you wanted to do any damage with your fancy fighters at all you first needed to cast breach or remove magic with your wizard to dispel that and hope that the other guy failed the saving throw. Otherwise you were basically powerless until the spell ran its full course, during which the wizard could completely decimate you.

Nuh-uh my Fighter has a magic sword that can break through any spell and also he's super strong and cool and can beat up your dad.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Do we know if we'll get the Steam codes before the 26th so we can pre-download, or ?

In an ideal world I'd like to have my PC just start downloading the thing automatically as soon as possible.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

enraged_camel posted:

I loved that some enemies were just so badass they didn't give a poo poo about Time Stop. Stop time? gently caress you I'll still move.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Do we know if we'll get the Steam codes before the 26th so we can pre-download, or ?

In an ideal world I'd like to have my PC just start downloading the thing automatically as soon as possible.
Probably. Still holding out hope that we'll get the digital extras from the backer site like a week before release. I want to read the almanac and stuff before starting the game.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

grrarg posted:

Probably. Still holding out hope that we'll get the digital extras from the backer site like a week before release. I want to read the almanac and stuff before starting the game.

woohooo

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

I loved that some enemies were just so badass they didn't give a poo poo about Time Stop. Stop time? gently caress you I'll still move.
I just like imagining what that kind of poo poo has to do to everything else in the world. Which of course is why 3.5 (iirc) changed it so that instead of actually stopping time for everyone but you you're really casting superhaste. Which still doesn't make sense because other enemies aren't affected but...:suicide:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Ravenfood posted:

I just like imagining what that kind of poo poo has to do to everything else in the world. Which of course is why 3.5 (iirc) changed it so that instead of actually stopping time for everyone but you you're really casting superhaste. Which still doesn't make sense because other enemies aren't affected but...:suicide:

It's simple.

Those enemies simply have the same Stand power.

Just finished Dragonfall. Releasing the AI seems to have had a worse outcome than I'd hoped. Especially since I released Feuerschwinge and earned its ire. Curious as to what major choices other players took.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 9, 2015

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

Yep. So many Minsc haters in this thread. Boo is outraged!

I also don't understand what is bad about the writing. I really enjoy the dialogue even today.

He's a character who desperately wants to be funny but never is. That is bad. He's the Jar Jar Binks of RPGs.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

you are the jar jar binks of forums posting

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

More like you're the Ja- gently caress

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Mymla posted:

He's a character who desperately wants to be funny but never is. That is bad. He's the Jar Jar Binks of RPGs.

No he's a character who's incredibly funny to himself and he's okay with that. Minsc isn't trying to make you laugh, he's trying and succeeding at making himself laugh. He's having fun in his own brain damaged way, and you can either also laugh or be mad about him ruining your grimdark. Minsc doesn't give a poo poo.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

No he's a character who's incredibly funny to himself and he's okay with that. Minsc isn't trying to make you laugh, he's trying and succeeding at making himself laugh. He's having fun in his own brain damaged way, and you can either also laugh or be mad about him ruining your grimdark. Minsc doesn't give a poo poo.

Or you can do the correct thing and roll your eyes at him a few times before telling him to go hang out at the copper coronet for the rest of the game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tarezax posted:

It's simple.

I don't know, it'd be weird as hell to be walking around just doing whatever and suddenly you're superhasted because some jackass mage somewhere else on the plane cast Time Stop.

e: I should get Dragonfall to tide me over until PoE releases right?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Mymla posted:

Or you can do the correct thing and roll your eyes at him a few times before telling him to go hang out at the copper coronet for the rest of the game.

Tell us more about which characters in Baldurs Gate are the "correct" ones.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Yes.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

They're all pretty bad actually. Although at least some of them aren't offensively unfunny.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Tarezax posted:

It's simple.

Just finished Dragonfall. Releasing the AI seems to have had a worse outcome than I'd hoped. Especially since I released Feuerschwinge and earned its ire. Curious as to what major choices other players took.

I killed off the AI (motherfucker killed Monika and wore her face), then released Feuerschwinge which I guess was the "canon" ending. the ending of that game's super cool, I thought some of the WEIGHTY MORAL CHOICES in every mission started seeming sort of rote but the ending is legit good writing and i spent a good five minutes each weighing up the big choices

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Ravenfood posted:

I don't know, it'd be weird as hell to be walking around just doing whatever and suddenly you're superhasted because some jackass mage somewhere else on the plane cast Time Stop.

Definitely. Expeditions: Conquistador is pretty sweet too if you need more games because you can't stop playing dragonfall.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Mymla posted:

Although at least some of them aren't offensively unfunny.

to bad we cant say the same about your posting

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I can take it no longer! Pre ordering the Champion edition on Steam as we speak!

I'm a sucker for those wallpapers and soundtracks :D

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

No justice for Khalid

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

Mymla posted:

They're all pretty bad actually. Although at least some of them aren't offensively unfunny.

You seem like a real fun guy to be around

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Mymla posted:

I knew you sounded familiar, you're the same guy who called old Fallout games poo poo that shouldn't be played by anyone, found IE games "impenetrable" without guides and said every RPG made in the 90s is terrible.

Suddenly it all makes sense again.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mymla posted:

I, too, am too kool for skool.

*kickflip ollie outie*

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

gigawhite posted:

No justice for Khalid

Moment of silence,

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Kanfy posted:

I knew you sounded familiar, you're the same guy who called old Fallout games poo poo that shouldn't be played by anyone, found IE games "impenetrable" without guides and said every RPG made in the 90s is terrible.

Suddenly it all makes sense again.

:boom:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gigawhite posted:

No justice for Khalid

C-c-c-c-can I help you?

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Guys, he's just filling the daily sperg quota for the thread. It's a hard job but someone has to do it.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Tarezax posted:

It's simple.

Released the AI, as I was a hacker who wanted to believe in the power of computer and that Monika still lived in some form and made for a great 'personal story' capstone for one last Matrix run, PC and Monika, running side by side through the AI's controls. Unfortunately, turned out to be false during the Feuerschwinge mission- ended up pacifying and then releasing Feuerschwinge, which means the PC now has to hunt down the AI they unwittingly released.

Hope that helps point this thread in a different direction other than :sperg:.

BlondRobin fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 9, 2015

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

DatonKallandor posted:

Jan. Jan is the correct character to use.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

madstrike posted:

Guys, he's just filling the daily sperg quota for the thread. It's a hard job but someone has to do it.

So whats the fail-state for a lack of sperg?

is it actually undesirable?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Agean90 posted:

So whats the fail-state for a lack of sperg?

is it actually undesirable?

I don't think any thread on Something Awful has ever seen this condition, so how could we know?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

BlondRobin posted:

Hope that helps point this thread in a different direction other than :sperg:.

Let's hope. I was about to troll the thread by pointing out that DA:O at least has a doggy, whereas Pillars doesn't. And Sawyer's blog is filled with posts about how much he loves cats. Coincidence -- or Toxoplasmosis? ?!?!?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Let's hope. I was about to troll the thread by pointing out that DA:O at least has a doggy, whereas Pillars doesn't. And Sawyer's blog is filled with posts about how much he loves cats. Coincidence -- or Toxoplasmosis? ?!?!?

Piggy confirmed for PoE, doggy likely.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

xthetenth posted:

Piggy confirmed for PoE, doggy likely.

Does it bark and go Wuff Wuff Wuff or just like amble around

the backer beta pig isn't very exciting

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Does it bark and go Wuff Wuff Wuff or just like amble around

The only reason barkspawn is good is because it means there's one less biped to say stupid bioware words. Piggy lets bipeds speak good obsidian words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

The backer beta pig use to get into combat with enemies and accidentally set off traps, that was exciting

• Locked thread