Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I'm liking this part

quote:

Masters races were also said to have middle-aged businessmen winning on EPO, with some of them training as hard as professional riders and putting in comparable performances. Some professional riders explained they no longer ride in the Gran Fondos because they were so competitive due to the number of riders doping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Also how riders know they can still micro-dose with impunity and use the ABP to help dope within the limits by following their blood profile. They will also schedule high altitude testing around their programs as cover and play the Where Abouts System making frequent and last minute changes.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Yeah heh they're the worst

*looks over shoulder nervously, tugs at collar, flushes assorted powders down the toilet*

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The bit about riders being used as mules for blood is mental. Getting transfused several units before crossing a border then extracting it and dishing it out :psyduck:

Pocket posted:

Also how riders know they can still micro-dose with impunity and use the ABP to help dope within the limits by following their blood profile. They will also schedule high altitude testing around their programs as cover and play the Where Abouts System making frequent and last minute changes.

I don't think it says this at all. Riders have adapted to the testing (and lack of it at night) by micro dosing and using ABP numbers to stay below 50% but the gains are much lower then it used to be though it has given me an idea for a study

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 9, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're calling for testing to be allowed any time, including the middle of the night, no excuses. Pretty much pushing the line of "evasion counts as admission".

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Ok, at what point does that become a bit unreasonable? I'd be interested to see what other occupation requires that the participant be available to have their blood drawn at any time. Is there a limit on how often? Imagine pissing someone off who is in control of the testing program. If you're a GC contender, you'll be hard pressed to compete if you keep getting woken up in the middle of the night during races and having blood drawn repeatedly.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Evasion already counts unless you're in Mallorca

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
Not stalking you or anything.

Paddyb posted:

Stybar is becoming what Sagan was supposed to have become.

Truth. Sagan is massively overrated and gets sackridden like 1000% too much, Stybar is grouse as.

Paddyb posted:

List of sprinters, lol Mtn Qhubekca

Fuckin love how they dont even bother including Matt Goss on their sprinters lol

Oh and something about doping goes here.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Box Hill Strangler posted:

Stybar is grouse as.

Can we get this translated from :australia: to :britain: or :canada: ?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Stybar is really great and cool.

Which I guess in canadian is "Stybar is oot of control eh?"

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

LordPants posted:

Stybar is really great and cool.

Which I guess in canadian is "Stybar is oot of control eh?"

Thank you, but I'm from the west. The hoser "oo" is an eastern thing. Also eh is dead unless you're a braindead hockey player.

Also where I live is technically in the American west linguistic Group (Physically closer to Seattle than Vancouver), and basically I sound like someone from Seattle, but exhibit parts of the Canadian shift, but to a lesser degree than most and not on both vowel sounds. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Shift

In closing, kindly gently caress yourself.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 9, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The report is amazing - and to think cycling is doing probbaly more than any sport to get rid of doping. Can you imagine how bad it is in less regulated sports?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The UCI tried to avoid Contador getting caught. They never learn.

Edit

The saddest thing in that entire thing is the stuff about the amateur and youth levels becoming endemic with doping. You always hear stories of poo poo like that but you never want to believe that theres 14 year old kids sticking needles in themselves just to win a junior race.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 9, 2015

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I don't think it says this at all. Riders have adapted to the testing (and lack of it at night) by micro dosing and using ABP numbers to stay below 50% but the gains are much lower then it used to be though it has given me an idea for a study

I was maybe a bit too sleepy last night with the word impunity but essentially anyone who wants to cheat can do it without getting caught.

It points out the use of corticosteroids for getting that impossible lean look Sky are famous for.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm glad that they've mentioned the overuse of tranquilizers and Tramadol and poo poo thats probably why no-one in the peloton can ride a bike for poo poo anymore too.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The poo poo about getting up in the middle of the night to ride a stationary in order to force your gloopy blood to circulate makes me think of Jason Statham films.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

The poo poo about getting up in the middle of the night to ride a stationary in order to force your gloopy blood to circulate makes me think of Jason Statham films.

No wonder none of them want to do the tour of beijing. All that time on the airplane not moving.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

serious gaylord posted:

The UCI tried to avoid Contador getting caught. They never learn.
How did you come to that conclusion?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

In 2010 that's exactly what happened? Previous reports have already alleged it (2013?)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Xabi posted:

How did you come to that conclusion?

They said there wasnt enough evidence to prosecute a ban and only went ahead with it after Wada and German TV blasted it all over the news.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/circ-contador-given-favourable-treatment-by-uci-after-2010-tour-de-france-doping-positive

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 9, 2015

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The report didn't find any cover-up though, and the "favourable treatment" seems to be that they - the UCI - travelled to Spain to tell him about his sample. Hardly shocking, if that's all there is to it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's a bit at the end about never telling the riders what the results were unless they're banning them or they've found signs of something that needs medical treatment.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
Pretty boring stage in Paris-Nice so far, so boring that Boonen fell asleep and fell down.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
How long has the tommy v break been away?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Giant/Degenkolb really should have done better there.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Cat Terrist posted:

The report is amazing - and to think cycling is doing probbaly more than any sport to get rid of doping. Can you imagine how bad it is in less regulated sports?
*side-eyes tennis*

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

The Deadly Hume posted:

*side-eyes tennis*

Eh, it's fine in tennis. Everyone in the top 60 lives in Monaco and has infinite money for equal footing on all the drugs. Modern tennis is way better to watch as a result. And even with the drugs, Andy Murray still can't go for more than 3 hours.

As opposed to bikes where no drugs makes it a bit more entertaining because you get people blowing up on climbs instead of everyone just coasting over a mountain like it's nothing.

borapt
Jul 14, 2008

Gibbo posted:

Eh, it's fine in tennis. Everyone in the top 60 lives in Monaco and has infinite money for equal footing on all the drugs. Modern tennis is way better to watch as a result. And even with the drugs, Andy Murray still can't go for more than 3 hours.

As opposed to bikes where no drugs makes it a bit more entertaining because you get people blowing up on climbs instead of everyone just coasting over a mountain like it's nothing.

Lots of tennis players (other than Fed) have legs that look like they belong to pro cyclists nowadays. Crosstraining with PhilGil, Gerrans, and whoever else is in Monaco? Or roids.

Sprint game is shaping up to be Kristoff, Cav, Guardini, at least so far. Poor Haussler can't bag a win since nats, still rolling in 5th/6th in the sprints. The Aussie jersey just adds to the sadness. Kittel is somehow...still sick? Or out of shape. Several guys (Coquard, Bouhanni, Swift, Viviani) knocking on the door, but just can't seem to beat Kristoff.

Also, what is the point of Tour de Langkawi? Just seems like a couple of pro-tour, pro-conti teams show up to troll some poor south-east asian teams year after year. How many stages did Belkin hoover up last year?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

borapt posted:

Lots of tennis players (other than Fed) have legs that look like they belong to pro cyclists nowadays. Crosstraining with PhilGil, Gerrans, and whoever else is in Monaco? Or roids.

I'm not saying they aren't juiced to the gills. I'm saying they're all juiced to the gills on the most modern poo poo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Paddyb posted:

How long has the tommy v break been away?

I'm going on vaca in South Africa and in charge of renting cars for a few legs. Despite slightly cheaper options from Hertz or other familiar American brands, I said to myself, Voeckler's put in his time; I'll go with Europcar.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Ag2R rider Mondory has just been popped for EPO. The UCI are considering having them investigated ala Astana.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

lol French riders don't dope dude.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
He must not be a true frenchmen then!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mondory-returns-adverse-analytical-finding-for-epo

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Something must be wrong with the test

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Pocket posted:

Something must be wrong with the test

No no no, epo, not test.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Nobody talking about Boonen loving his season up in a prep race because they are lazy or they discounted him chances anyway? I was under the impression he was fit, strong and to be feared.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

Nobody talking about Boonen loving his season up in a prep race because they are lazy or they discounted him chances anyway? I was under the impression he was fit, strong and to be feared.

He looked really good so far but ultimately hes failed in every race so far. I don't think he'd have done anything major in the classics.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

He'd always be an element in a break, someone that people would spend effort marking. That alone can give a team a win like in P-R last year no one wanted to react to Terpstra because the group had at least one other QS waiting to jump.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yeah I can see your point. Sepp vanmarcke is who i'd be worried about. He's been a mechanical away from dominating 2 races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Pocket posted:

well after years of "TOMMEKE!" and "TOM TORNADO" from the belgians, I kinda burned out on him.