Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Rick Ross Ulbricht posted:

no one likes how :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

how is a good poster, the best poster these forums have ever seen.

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

As a Millennial I posted:

how is a good poster, the best poster these forums have ever seen.

yospos is a troll-free zone, thanks for not trolling

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

bter, although hacked and lost 1.75 million dollars, plans on reopening very soon with an unhackable platform

https://twitter.com/btercom/status/574946304075264004

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Muscle Tracer posted:

a derail... in the bitcoin thread!? :pirate:

of course it's derailed, it's all about libertarian trains

this was a ways back, but this post is good

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Deacon of Delicious posted:

this was a ways back, but this post is good
only the power of blockchain technology can make a yospost good

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I've posted the voicemails I've received so far on the Buttcoin Hotline.

https://soundcloud.com/butt-coin/sets/buttcoin-voicemail

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Guy goes to /r/personalfinance to convince people that bitcoins are a good investment. Gets run out.
http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2yf03z/can_i_kindly_recommend_that_those_looking_for/

9 hours later goes to /r/investing to convince people that bitcoins are a good investment. Gets run out.
http://www.reddit.com/r/investing/comments/2yg1k3/may_i_kindly_suggest_that_those_looking_for_high/

3 hours later head back to /r/bitcoin complaining when no one wants to listen that bitcoins are a good investment. Gets a crying sholder.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2ygm6n/im_tired_of_trying_to_help_rinvesting_understand/

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

Boxturret posted:

rreally?

oh if yuospos says so i guess it's true now im going to sell all my stuff for bitcoin

Remember to buy on the way down!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

FCKGW posted:

Guy goes to /r/personalfinance to convince people that bitcoins are a good investment. Gets run out.
http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2yf03z/can_i_kindly_recommend_that_those_looking_for/

9 hours later goes to /r/investing to convince people that bitcoins are a good investment. Gets run out.
http://www.reddit.com/r/investing/comments/2yg1k3/may_i_kindly_suggest_that_those_looking_for_high/

3 hours later head back to /r/bitcoin complaining when no one wants to listen that bitcoins are a good investment. Gets a crying sholder.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2ygm6n/im_tired_of_trying_to_help_rinvesting_understand/

I like the subtle shilling

[–]SanDiegoMitch -3 point 14 hours ago
I remember maybe 5-6 years ago my brother was showing me this thing called bitcoin. I think it was like $.70 cents a coin. He then showed me this website where you could buy stuff with bitcoins, like hats and mousepads and sweatshirts.
He was trying to convince me we should just invest $50 into it. But I saw that this was going no where (why would I convert my money into bitcoin so I could buy mousepads?).
My god I wish I took his advice. He also did not figure out how to buy into it (I feel that this is the hardest part), but that 70 cent bitcoin would climb up to $1,250 and the $50 investment would have been worth over $85,000.
I kick my self for that so much now. It keeps expanding, and I know it would probably still be smart of me to drop at least $50 onto it just in case it ever does take over as a world currency.
However. I still don't know where to start, and how to do it safely so that it does not get stolen from me, when I get keylogged or whatever.
perma-lien

[–]Logical007[S] -2 point 14 hours ago
Cool! We all have that type of story regarding Bitcoin at some point, haha :)
So this is what I'd recommend: to acquire Bitcoin you can currently do two things: A. Use circle.com (they're very legit, backed by big mone) or in a matter of weeks when it launches invest in the Bitcoin Investment Fund through your broker (like Etrade). They buy/sell Bitcoin on your behalf and store it for you.
If you go the Circle.com route, you can then keep it with them in their wallet/spend it when you want to, etc.
If you want to secure it yourself, and hold it in a wallet you are soley responsible for, I recommend Breadwallet on iOS. It's IMO the most secure/easiest way to store Bitcoin outside of a bank. (Disclosure: I am a potential investor in their seed round)
perma-lienparent

[–]SanDiegoMitch 1 point 14 hours ago
Man if it starts getting traded through brokerages like E*Trade, I would gladly put a (very) small portion towards it.
perma-lienparent

[–]Logical007[S] -1 point 14 hours ago
It's very close, launching in either days or weeks. I think the main thing I want to get across is just how scarce Bitcoin is. There are only approximately 14Million Bitcoins and each one is highly divisible. By 2140 there will only be 21 Million BTC as it gets harder and harder for miners to produce. http://www.businessinsider.com/secondmarket-public-bitcoin-etf-2014-3
perma-lienparent

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

today, for the first time, i finally saw a bitcoin option at online checkout in the wild

if only i'd forseen this event 5 years ago, and not lost my wallet, and not deleted my wallet because lol btc, and not been scammed, and not put my btc into gox or any other exchange ever, and not cashed out at any of the thousand peaks, and not been curb-stomped by the IRS, then i could have bought this t-shirt for just a few cpu cycles!!!

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

I like the subtle shilling

Then you'll love this guy

quote:

I'm interested in any apps that act like a bank on my phone.

I need to move a great deal of money from one country to another and I don't want to pay the crazy bank fees.

Also, woul it be illegal to move 50-60,000 usd through the Bitcoin network

quote:

well you don't move USD through the network, you are moving bitcoin.

You can move 60k usd worth of bitcoin in a few seconds with almost 0 fee, to any place in the world.

quote:

I guess that's what we'll be doing. Thanks!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
is their a perfect piece of software that woul allow me to be my own bank= ??? :ninja:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
well gee thanks i like the sound of that bitcion

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
software ... on my phone ... that lets me do stuff you can do in a bank, like ... mobile banking

nah, i'm sure my bank doesn't offer anything like that, guess i'll have to use money-laundering drug pogs, sigh

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Coinbase is hiring AML compliance staff, I almost want to apply but I don't want to catch anything.

I also don't want to be out of a job and dealing with federal investigators within the year because coinbase folded and the board ran off with the reserves after it turned out they were a primary finance channel for ISIS and Estonian child traffickers.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

McNerd posted:

I'm interested in any apps that act like a bank on my phone.

I need to move a great deal of money from one country to another and I don't want to pay the crazy bank fees.

Also, woul it be illegal to move 50-60,000 usd through the Bitcoin network

allahu ackbar!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

LongDarkNight posted:

allahu ackbar!

what do you mean, a trap?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

FAUXTON posted:

Coinbase is hiring AML compliance staff, I almost want to apply but I don't want to catch anything.

I also don't want to be out of a job and dealing with federal investigators within the year because coinbase folded and the board ran off with the reserves after it turned out they were a primary finance channel for ISIS and Estonian child traffickers.

well, what are the odds of that happening, really? 95%? 97%?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

FAUXTON posted:

can you imagine your first job interview afterward, trying to explain what this coin base thing was?

lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

did Bitcoin actually ever sold for 1250 or whatever all time high? I thought that was a fake number from gox and you couldn't actually withdraw anything since they made things up

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FrozenVent posted:

can you imagine your first job interview afterward, trying to explain what this coin base thing was?

lol

People in this field know what bitcoin is, because it's our job to identify and assist in prosecuting money laundering. Bitcoin is the mild-mannered Austrian man who emigrated to Argentina in the late 40's and has kept to himself ever since, and I'm the goddamn Mossad.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

did Bitcoin actually ever sold for 1250 or whatever all time high? I thought that was a fake number from gox and you couldn't actually withdraw anything since they made things up

the fake mt gox number drew the rest of the market up with it, some people were able to sell on other exchanges

they're bitcoin speculators, so most of them probably reinvested and lost on the downside, but i'm sure somebody out there made out like a bandit

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

listen to yospos and kill youreself

someone should remake listentobitcoin.com but with yospos

not me though i'm more of an ideas guy

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

rjmccall posted:

the fake mt gox number drew the rest of the market up with it, some people were able to sell on other exchanges

they're bitcoin speculators, so most of them probably reinvested and lost on the downside, but i'm sure somebody out there made out like a bandit

But wasn't the gox price always way higher than the other exchanges, which is why bitcoiners kept using and pumping money into it even when people had gone like 6 months without being able to remove funds? Some people certainly sold some bitcoins for 1250, on the Mt Gox ledger, but they never received that money.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
$20 bucks

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

People in this field know what bitcoin is, because it's our job to identify and assist in prosecuting money laundering. Bitcoin is the mild-mannered Austrian man who emigrated to Argentina in the late 40's and has kept to himself ever since, and I'm the goddamn Mossad.

lol

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

FAUXTON posted:

i don't think bitcoin is big enough to become a primary finance channel of ISIS

QuarkJets posted:

But wasn't the gox price always way higher than the other exchanges, which is why bitcoiners kept using and pumping money into it even when people had gone like 6 months without being able to remove funds? Some people certainly sold some bitcoins for 1250, on the Mt Gox ledger, but they never received that money.
you can check bitcoinity but at least bitfinex and bitstamp both peaked >$1000. mtgox was higher but not some absurd difference afaik

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

went and grabbed the old transaction history and ran it through perl. bitstamp peaked on november 29th, 2013 at $1163.00 with a transaction worth $57,527.89. there were half-a-dozen other transactions at that price worth about the same in total, plus a fair number more at slightly lower prices. so yeah, it was all a massive speculative bubble, but that doesn't mean there wasn't real money involved

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
the bitcoin pimp has some sick burns up his sleeve

logical007 posted:

Sorry you're not very smart when it comes to this stuff and how it works

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

rjmccall posted:

went and grabbed the old transaction history and ran it through perl. bitstamp peaked on november 29th, 2013 at $1163.00 with a transaction worth $57,527.89. there were half-a-dozen other transactions at that price worth about the same in total, plus a fair number more at slightly lower prices. so yeah, it was all a massive speculative bubble, but that doesn't mean there wasn't real money involved

iirc most of these exchanges had monthly caps on fiat withdrawals to avoid immediately triggering aml limits (so instead it became structuring), i'm sure fauxton knows more about this

so yeah maybe a handful of people* cashed out at the all time high, and a bunch of dudes on the way up sold their bitcoins to wally or markus on mtgox for ledger fiat, but the bulk of that money

a) never existed
b) already seized by DHS/DEA
or
c) stuck in withdrawal queue limbo for years even if they sold on bitstamp, so they probably plowed it back in on the way down instead

the proper way to benefit from your bit-riches was to somehow manage to not lose all your bitcoins until about a year ago and then to use coinbase and bitpay to buy poo poo and never see fiat

* until the IRS or their local equivalent catches up

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 10, 2015

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

i don't think bitcoin is big enough to become a primary finance channel of ISIS

But they said it was going to the moon

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if ISIS is using bitcoin as a primary finance channel I expect them to close shop and disappear some time within the next 5-7 months

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

FAUXTON posted:

But they said it was going to the moon

but with one of those crack den hackerspaces like noisebridge I guess.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

indigi posted:

if ISIS is using bitcoin as a primary finance channel I expect them to close shop and disappear some time within the next 5-7 months

Outside of just straight up plunder taken from invaded territory they aren't exactly flush with ways to move value around their operation. Bitcoin's lack of broad adoption and weirdly-trusting community are reasonably effective cover for them to launder money and move it around their area. With so few retailers actually taking that fake money they can just leverage some radicalized computer nerds in Turkey or Malaysia or wherever and set up some "pay us in bitcoins to buy stuff (with stolen cards) for you" service. Then they just fence the butts through an exchange of their choosing since the insular and doofy bitcoin community will happily buy the fake money since it's going to go up uP UP.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FAUXTON posted:

Outside of just straight up plunder taken from invaded territory they aren't exactly flush with ways to move value around their operation. Bitcoin's lack of broad adoption and weirdly-trusting community are reasonably effective cover for them to launder money and move it around their area. With so few retailers actually taking that fake money they can just leverage some radicalized computer nerds in Turkey or Malaysia or wherever and set up some "pay us in bitcoins to buy stuff (with stolen cards) for you" service. Then they just fence the butts through an exchange of their choosing since the insular and doofy bitcoin community will happily buy the fake money since it's going to go up uP UP.

You seem to misunderstand how bitcoin works. The network activity is small, if there was any serious amount of money being moved by ISIS it'd be noticeable.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
this is of course all purely theoretical; because bitcoin doesn't exist

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

stay safe bitcoin ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.
it was probably just one insufferably nerdy jihadi pestering his fellow isis members about bitcoin enough until they agreed to try it out

• Locked thread