Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
How long after a refresh do things appear in the physical store? Like a week or two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

SourKraut posted:

Link to said Gartner data. I honestly want to see it.

External hard drive plugged in via USB and a flash drive plugged in to directly back up to said external drive are two USB connections alone. I do this fairly regularly for work but I regularly go to meetings where a flash drive and the USB adapter for a laser pointer/presentation control stick are both connected.

I will see if I can find a public copy of it.

That's not a use case most people have. This computer is not designed for professional use. That's what the MBP is for.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

enMTW posted:

I will see if I can find a public copy of it.

If you can't, post its name or enough specifics that I can find it with my Gartner account.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Accipiter posted:

Maybe it's just my own habits, but as soon as I finish a click, both hands go right back to hovering, either over the keyboard or over the trackpad prepared to two-finger scroll.

And I've always taken the actual click of the trackpad as feedback that the click happened. An already-present physical click followed by a buzz seems extraneous, but I'll concede that I can't foresee every possible usage scenario. It may actually be really useful. I just can't think of how quite yet. :)

From what I understand, the buzz feedback is because there is no physical click, a la using touch ID on an iPhone.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

1st AD posted:

Aperture was never a pro app even if they billed it as one

It may not have had feature parity with Lightroom (which is what I use now), but it was absolutely a pro app.

Also, according to a long-time Apple user professional musician friend of mine, Logic Pro X is also a flaming piece of poo poo compared to earlier versions.

Kingnothing posted:

From what I understand, the buzz feedback is because there is no physical click, a la using touch ID on an iPhone.

I think you may be mistaken. They made a big deal during the presentation about how it's no longer hinged "like a diving board" so clicks have a uniform feel on any point of the trackpad.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Accipiter posted:

It may not have had feature parity with Lightroom (which is what I use now), but it was absolutely a pro app.

Also, according to a long-time Apple user professional musician friend of mine, Logic Pro X is also a flaming piece of poo poo compared to earlier versions.

I think you may be mistaken. They made a big deal during the presentation about how it's no longer hinged "like a diving board" so clicks have a uniform feel on any point of the trackpad.

That's quite possible.

I should see one of the new trackpads on the 13" retina tomorrow. If I do I'll update if the news isn't already out there.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

beefnoodle posted:

If you can't, post its name or enough specifics that I can find it with my Gartner account.

Will do. When I go into work tomorrow I will grab the name. It wasn't about USB ports on-its-face, it was about laptops, but it included data on USB.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Alright Mac thread, I need your help. I've got a 13" mid-2011 MacBook Air that I've been planning on replacing and have saved up about $2000 to do so. It's the base model, 4GB of RAM, 128GB SSD and it's been more than enough for me. It's done everything I've asked perfectly and easily been the best computer I've ever owned.

Now with the MacBook announcement it's time to make a decision. For $1300 there's the new MacBook. Sounds great but I'm scared of a first-gen Apple product and no fan. For $1100 there's the new Air (with 8GB of RAM, though 4GB has served me fine thus far). It looks just like my current Air but I know that design is solid. It also has MagSafe 2 which has got to be better than MagSafe 1 (of which I've gone through three so far). Although it has no Retina display. Then there's the 13" Retina MacBook Pro. It's got Haswell, the new trackpad, and it has normal loving ports. It's also bigger than I'd like. Still it's the same price as the MacBook and not a big question mark with the fanless, portless design.

Am I crazy for waiting this long then going with the MBP that's been there all along? Should I continue waiting? I mean, post 10.10.2 my mid-2011 Air is as good as it's ever been and I still love it to death (MagSafe 1 outstanding).

I'm doing nothing with this aside from websurfing and playing a game like Grim Fandango or Peggle on Steam. This is an all-play machine, nothing more intensive than Peggle Nights or FTL.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The 13" Pro actually has Broadwell now.

It's the 15" that doesn't, because the chips aren't available yet.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

LastInLine posted:

Alright Mac thread, I need your help. I've got a 13" mid-2011 MacBook Air that I've been planning on replacing and have saved up about $2000 to do so. It's the base model, 4GB of RAM, 128GB SSD and it's been more than enough for me. It's done everything I've asked perfectly and easily been the best computer I've ever owned.

Silly question... if your computer is and has been more than enough, it works perfectly, and you use it for VERY simple tasks, why replace it?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Accipiter posted:

Silly question... if your computer is and has been more than enough, it works perfectly, and you use it for VERY simple tasks, why replace it?

Yeah, if your current MacBook is fine, stick with it. Give that $2k to your parents. Parents could always use more money. Or stuff it away in your kid's college fund.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

LastInLine posted:

Am I crazy for waiting this long then going with the MBP that's been there all along? Should I continue waiting? I mean, post 10.10.2 my mid-2011 Air is as good as it's ever been and I still love it to death (MagSafe 1 outstanding).

Consider the 13" MBPR. It's pretty light, pretty thin, and has Retina without the compromises this new machine involves.

Yeah, it's bigger, but do you really care? It's either that or one port. Or sticking with a low-DPI display.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

enMTW posted:

Consider the 13" MBPR. It's pretty light, pretty thin, and has Retina without the compromises this new machine involves.

Yeah, it's bigger, but do you really care? It's either that or one port. Or sticking with a low-DPI display.
Yeah, I'm going to grab the refreshed 13" rMBP when they're available through my edu reseller. Also, I think it's actually smaller on a desk than the 13" MBA anyway, it just weighs more.

I'm a big fan of the rMBP line and have been extremely happy with both 15" rMBPs I've owned.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Really curious to see how the new Macbook plays out. I'm still burned by the first generation Air which was incredibly hamstrung by its heat throttling. The drat thing couldn't make it through 30s of youtube without throttling down to a fraction of the speed. I still feel like I cheated the guy I sold it to.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Vaporware posted:

I kind of like thunderbolt, but no one is developing anything interesting for it. I just can't imagine the squid nightmare of cables emerging from a USB-C all in one port.

Tons of nice audio interfaces coming out nowadays for Thunderbolt.

SourKraut posted:

Counterpoint: Thumb drives, which probably a vast majority of computer users still regularly use.

http://gizmodo.com/sandisk-has-the-first-flash-drive-with-a-reversible-usb-1688533182

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Accipiter posted:

Huh, I interpreted that as there is no more click, just a press with a new degree of freedom of "how hard", making a feedback part necessary. I mean no click here as in the trackpad doesn't depress and come back, it just stays in place and there are force sensors monitoring the degree of presses. But I could be way off.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

1st AD posted:

Aperture was never a pro app even if they billed it as one, meanwhile Final Cut in its current iteration is the best thing ever unless you work in a large post house.

As long as the MacBook Pro retains ports I don't see the big issue?

Eh, even then. The only thing I have coming out of mine is HDMI, USB3.0 hub and power. That adapter would be perfect for me, as it would mean only one thing to plug in and out.

Ethernet dongles are stupid and I've only ever used one once on a device that couldn't manage it's own packet capture and either stream it to netcat listener or RPCAP.

Thumb drives are about as archaic as floppies. Get one of the many cloud "drives" and have it sync a local folder automatically. Bonus points if you talk your employer into getting a corporate account via Dropbox, Box, or Office365. Use good security practices and keep particularly sensitive data off the drive (as you would a thumb-drive), and you'll wonder why you kept lugging around a fragile piece of plastic.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Did they stick the new keyboard in the 13" MBPr? I do a lot of typing and am a bit worried about how many reviewers seem to dislike the feel of the new keyboards.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Cyrano4747 posted:

Did they stick the new keyboard in the 13" MBPr? I do a lot of typing and am a bit worried about how many reviewers seem to dislike the feel of the new keyboards.
No, just the trackpads.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Which is great and all, except that there's only a single USB-C connector. Want to be able to, say, use a laptop wonderfully suited for business travel and presentations and connect to a projector/smart board/TV/whatever in a meeting AND use a presentation tool/thumbdrive/etc? Gotta buy an adapter and make sure to remember it, which also just results in additional travel bulk/etc.

I get that a lot of people here think some of these things are silly/archaic, but it also makes me wonder how many people actually regularly give presentations to a wide variety of clients or even actually have any concept of professional/business settings. The majority of the meetings I attend have people using a presentation controller that uses a USB transmitter while also connecting the laptop via either VGA or DVI directly for projectors or mini-DVI/Thunderbolt to VGA/DVI, and from discussions with manufacturers and vendors who I have meetings with, it's really common...

flosofl posted:

Thumb drives are about as archaic as floppies. Get one of the many cloud "drives" and have it sync a local folder automatically. Bonus points if you talk your employer into getting a corporate account via Dropbox, Box, or Office365. Use good security practices and keep particularly sensitive data off the drive (as you would a thumb-drive), and you'll wonder why you kept lugging around a fragile piece of plastic.
This is dumb. Thumb drives' day of extinction will come but it isn't here yet. When you're talking massive, several gigabyte-sized files for whatever (in my case, commonly Revit files for our treatment plant models and all the associated references files), thumb drives are still extremely convenient as a "dump files onto drive, eject, take with for fast access in meeting" versus hoping that the network connection at the location in question will be stable enough or provide enough bandwidth to quickly download or synchronize the files in question.

I've been in meetings where the presenter couldn't access the model files they needed because the network wasn't stable and they couldn't maintain a ProjectWise (professional database program that's essentially comparable to a DropBox) connection to retrieve the model files. Client wasn't happy and meeting was canceled.

Hell, we often give all of our CAD and Revit drawings and models to clients as needed on thumb drives just due to the convenience. You may be fully engrained in the "wireless-or-bust" mindset, but in a lot of places, that's just not good/reliable enough.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't think Apple thinks the MBA occupies the same market segment as you do. I'm going to make a completely uneducated guess that users with your requirements AND want a Mac are a tiny niche.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm honestly a little shocked that Apple couldn't be arsed to stick a USB 2.0 port on the power adapter for a $1300 laptop. I mean sure it's Apple, but comon', this is a basic limitation, if it absolutely requires an adapter for any wired peripherals to work, throw users a bone here. Looking forward to seeing the first milled aluminum 2 port USB hubs that sits flush against the side of the laptop like a great big wart :getin:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

1st AD posted:

I don't think Apple thinks the MBA occupies the same market segment as you do. I'm going to make a completely uneducated guess that users with your requirements AND want a Mac are a tiny niche.

Well, after this, fewer people would want a Mac, so I guess you're right?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

When it comes to the consumer segment of Apple (which I think MBA always targeted even if the hardware was usable for some professional users), I think Apple has always been selling the form and status of a device than the actual function of it. I guess we'll see what sales look like when these things drops, but somehow I doubt there's hordes of Apple users who are deciding to buy a Yoga instead of a MBA due to today's announcement.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
There are 5 lines of Apple notebooks available right now. More so than there ever has been. There are Apple notebooks with ethernet, superdrives, usb ports, display ports, and now the new USB port. What is the problem? I'm sure powerpoint will run on one of them.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

passionate dongs posted:

There are 5 lines of Apple notebooks available right now. More so than there ever has been. There are Apple notebooks with ethernet, superdrives, usb ports, display ports, and now the new USB port. What is the problem? I'm sure powerpoint will run on one of them.
But only one of them is shiny and new!! What else am I gonna spend this money on if Apple won't cater to my exact needs???

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Whirlwind Jones posted:

But only one of them is shiny and new!! What else am I gonna spend this money on if Apple won't cater to my exact needs???

And I, of course, am entitled to products that appeal to me. gently caress everyone else, for I am the only one that matters. Me and my multi-gigabyte files.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

They just better not extend that form factor to the bigger laptops

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think that's the plan. I can see Apple killing the Macbook Air line in favor of the next Macbook revision, for which they'll probably have miraculously figured out how to add a second (or even third) USB type C to the laptop, a traditional USB port to the charging block, and put a proper i3 onto the logic board. Coincidentally, that's probably when I'll upgrade to it.

If I was a sales rep or something that needed to fly across the country frequently I'd pack the new Macbook and an Apple TV and look like a bad rear end when I make my pitches. But I'm not.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
They outright said that this new lovely MacBook is their "vision of the future of the notebook."

You can bet the other lines will eventually follow suit.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Accipiter posted:

They outright said that this new lovely MacBook is their "vision of the future of the notebook."

You can bet the other lines will eventually follow suit.

In gaining USB Type C and dropping full sized USB, sure. I don't see them doing the 'one port' thing on the 15" Pro, though.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
If they keep moving in the perpetual "EVERYTHING MUST BE THIN" direction they will. Hell, they already eliminated built-in Ethernet and the battery meter for the sake of THIN THIN THIN.

I also really like MagSafe.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

They just better not extend that form factor to the bigger laptops

They will do so, eventually, by which time 90% of the users won't care about the limitations anymore, just like every other product Apple delivers. Seriously guys, this plays out every time Apple releases a new line of computers. The first couple of models are "ahead of their time" with limitations that make it unappealing (and rightfully so) to most people, and usually overpriced. Some people buy them anyway because they happen to fill some need, or they just want the latest Apple device, giving Apple time to improve that product line before it becomes more widely adopted. Then a few years later technology has progressed, the limitations don't matter as much anymore and the cost comes down. Apple then discontinues some other product line, and 10% of Apple users grumble and complain (sometimes rightfully so) about how their needs aren't met anymore. They then either hold on to their old computers for years, buy a PC, or realize that they don't need a USB port, or a CD drive, or a floppy drive that badly anymore after all. Does anyone care anymore that their computers no longer come with optical drives? I'm sure a few people do, but most don't. Eventually the same will be true of thumb drives. Apple just doesn't care about the few people they leave behind.

The fact is that Apple is very good at figuring out what the majority of consumers want or need from their computing devices. That this sometimes (or even often, I guess) alienates professionals is something they just don't give a poo poo about, as far as I can tell, for better or for worse. I don't want to see all of their laptops lose their ports to a single USB C connection, either, but I can believe that 5 years from now I might be okay with it. I suspect that by the time this form factor makes it to all of their laptops, most people will feel the same way.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Does anyone care anymore that their computers no longer come with optical drives? I'm sure a few people do, but most don't.

I will readily admit that I am perhaps in the minority on this point, but I'm absolutely pissed off that my MBP doesn't have an optical drive. For the first week I owned the thing, it was tethered to a USB DVD drive.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Accipiter posted:

I will readily admit that I am perhaps in the minority on this point, but I'm absolutely pissed off that my MBP doesn't have an optical drive. For the first week I owned the thing, it was tethered to a USB DVD drive.

This is exactly my point. Apple doesn't remove features once literally no one needs them anymore, they remove them as soon as they think they can possibly get away with it.

Actually, I'm kind of curious why you bought a mac laptop if you need an optical drive that badly?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Accipiter posted:

I have the optical Apple drive. I got it when I got an iMac that doesn't have an internal optical drive. I haven't used it once. It's been four years.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

There's a huge difference between removing an optical drive and removing every loving port on the machine

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Bob Morales posted:

There's a huge difference between removing an optical drive and removing every loving port on the machine
Not really.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

And the iPad doesn't even have an SD card slot, what the foxconn!? Nobody will ever buy this piece of trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Accipiter posted:

You never thought that your optical drive complaints made you the absolute wrong person to talk about USB Type C?

Your 'needs' don't even come close to aligning with the market at large.