Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Tiggum posted:

People who say "ek cetera" or write "ect."

Are you one of those weirdos who prefers "&c"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Are you one of those weirdos who prefers "&c"?

The correct abbreviation is "etc."

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Partial Octopus posted:

The correct abbreviation is "etc."

Apparently I am ysdexlic :downs:

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW
- People who eat with their mouth open. Holy poo poo, this pisses me off. No one wants to hear your disgusting mouth sounds.
- Calling your pets your kids or ugh... "fur-babies".
- Not sure if this is just a local thing, but frat bros in my area are way into "getting chenty". Not only is it stupid as gently caress, it's also destructive.
- People who say casually racist things and expect me to go along with it.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Steampunk iPhone posted:

- People who eat with their mouth open. Holy poo poo, this pisses me off. No one wants to hear your disgusting mouth sounds.
- Calling your pets your kids or ugh... "fur-babies".
- Not sure if this is just a local thing, but frat bros in my area are way into "getting chenty". Not only is it stupid as gently caress, it's also destructive.
- People who say casually racist things and expect me to go along with it.

what the hell is getting chenty

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
It's the worst when people do not reply to texts especially whenever there's any kind of commitment involved.

I just let you know about a party going down in two days, I know you read my text because you're on your phone all day long anyway, just give me the common courtesy of texting back a yes, no, maybe, SOMETHING. Takes several seconds, literally. But no, it's going to be full out radio silence until 1 hour before the event, or you just might not even text back altogether, because its two days later and you dont remember any of it.

Like I invited a friend to hang out using WhatsApp and I know she read it because there's a notification, but she obv read it, then forgot about it and now it's too late, so were now playing a waiting game where if I text her first without mentioning anything it's like the whole thing never happened. You gonna be waiting a long time, bitch :colbert:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

THE PENETRATOR posted:

actually op, speeds are optimized to maximize safety and minimize accidents on that particular road and are the law, and if you break the speed limit you get pulled over by the cops and given a ticket and possibly even have your license revoked.

I've never had a cop catch me, so maybe speed limits aren't so effective after all. Nobody knows the backwoods trails like me.

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep
People wearing running shoes as casual shoes. I'm not talking about converse or something similar, but actual running shoes.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Listening to one sided phone calls in general. My mind starts filling in the blank and all of the sudden I have somebody corresponding with terrorists who they love.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
loving umbrellas. It rains all the loving time in Scotland, our pavements are narrow and I'm tall. My entire life is an obstacle course of dodging loving idiot women with their stupid loving umbrellas as they weave aimlessly around because heaven loving forbid you get even the slightest bit wet ya fuckin' daft oval office.

One time a woman drew blood. I threw her umbrella in the river in a fit of temper. Fucker.

Also motherfuckers who talk with their mouth full. Swallow then talk. My own darling mother isn't speaking to me [3 weeks now] because she actually loving phoned me - she phoned me - and jammed a toffee in her ever flopping mucus-lined chew-sac before emitting a series of wet slorping noises directly into my ear, and apparently I'm the rear end in a top hat for hanging up? Bitch no. You're going in the bad home. With the nurses that nip and the heating turned off.

Also on t'Internet when you have a fight between old school dudes using old school weapons, and then some cuntbag goes "Oh that totally wouldn't be how that swordfight would go because I am a member of the Society for Preservation of Autism in Swordfights and I totally read the wikipedia page on Hochmeister Liechtenauer once and blah blah blah blah blah" and then they invariably link to:

a) The swordfight from the end of Rob Roy.
b) The swordfight from The Duellists.
c) The ending fight from Roman Polanski's loving terrible version of MacBeth.

And it's like motherfucker, no. No. Unless you have an actual time machine and actually went back to Ye Olde Times and watched some melees you dunno poo poo, and furthermore, nobody loving cares.

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW

Disgusting Coward posted:

loving umbrellas. It rains all the loving time in Scotland, our pavements are narrow and I'm tall. My entire life is an obstacle course of dodging loving idiot women with their stupid loving umbrellas as they weave aimlessly around because heaven loving forbid you get even the slightest bit wet ya fuckin' daft oval office.

One time a woman drew blood. I threw her umbrella in the river in a fit of temper. Fucker.

Also motherfuckers who talk with their mouth full. Swallow then talk. My own darling mother isn't speaking to me [3 weeks now] because she actually loving phoned me - she phoned me - and jammed a toffee in her ever flopping mucus-lined chew-sac before emitting a series of wet slorping noises directly into my ear, and apparently I'm the rear end in a top hat for hanging up? Bitch no. You're going in the bad home. With the nurses that nip and the heating turned off.

Also on t'Internet when you have a fight between old school dudes using old school weapons, and then some cuntbag goes "Oh that totally wouldn't be how that swordfight would go because I am a member of the Society for Preservation of Autism in Swordfights and I totally read the wikipedia page on Hochmeister Liechtenauer once and blah blah blah blah blah" and then they invariably link to:

a) The swordfight from the end of Rob Roy.
b) The swordfight from The Duellists.
c) The ending fight from Roman Polanski's loving terrible version of MacBeth.

And it's like motherfucker, no. No. Unless you have an actual time machine and actually went back to Ye Olde Times and watched some melees you dunno poo poo, and furthermore, nobody loving cares.

Cool post :D I like how you used swears a lot.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

amityville anus posted:

I have somebody corresponding with terrorists who they love.

This is probably the best explanation of this I could ever imagine.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
Another one for chiming in on hating people who chew with their mouths open. Seriously, I don't need to see or hear it, thanks. I am certain this is how anorexia starts in many instances.

And lastly, I hate the people who stand in the center of the grocery aisle and text. Jesus, I know it's hypnotic to look at a cell phone these days, but can you just, you know, move over a bit and then text?

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
People who talk to you whine resting their chin on their hands.

If what you have to say isn't important enough for you to lift your head away from your hands so your not muffled and difficult to hear, then it isn't important enough for me to listen.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
People who don't admit when they're wrong about something or when they did something wrong. My dad does this regularly and it's really annoying, I can't even remember the last time he said "sorry about [thing that he did]" or "yeah you're right [about an issue we were discussing]".

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Mikl posted:

People who don't admit when they're wrong about something or when they did something wrong. My dad does this regularly and it's really annoying, I can't even remember the last time he said "sorry about [thing that he did]" or "yeah you're right [about an issue we were discussing]".

On the flip side (and not directed at you), people who whine about how someone is "so focused on being right", when in actuality it's the fact that they are constantly trying to prove other people wrong and will never let them forget the times when they have been wrong about things. My mother, God love her (because someone's got to), used to do that to my father all the time - and now, of course, she does it to me.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Since it's relevant, "Daylight Savings". It seems like a lot of people have issues from abruptly shifting the time back or forth an hour, and these issues can persist for days or even a week. Personally, I know that I don't feel too great for a couple of mornings after it happens. It's really loving dumb and you always run into that one jackass who is like, "BUT I LOVE HAVING SUNSHINE WHEN I DRIVE HOME FROM WORK".

gently caress you, dude. We're going to be getting progressively more sun as the days progress towards the Summer Solstice, regardless. You should be grateful for that, and leave the clocks and sleep schedules alone.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I like cooking, and often I do lunch / dinner parties for friends and family. Every time there's someone who, when I place a dish on the table, immediately reaches for the salt / pepper / oil / soy sauce / whatever.

No, gently caress you. First you taste what I've cooked, and then, if you feel it needs something extra, you add it. You do not add whatever to the dish before even tasting it :argh:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Mikl posted:

I like cooking, and often I do lunch / dinner parties for friends and family. Every time there's someone who, when I place a dish on the table, immediately reaches for the salt / pepper / oil / soy sauce / whatever.

No, gently caress you. First you taste what I've cooked, and then, if you feel it needs something extra, you add it. You do not add whatever to the dish before even tasting it :argh:

I'm guilty of doing this. I think it's mostly a habit that people pick up when their parents don't season their food as it's cooking when they're growing up, and/or they are used to eating at restaurants who don't. It's nothing personal against you or your cooking. It's just that the vast majority of chefs/cooks under-season everything. I can't remember the last time I had a meal made by someone else that didn't need more salt. I do like things more salty than normal though so maybe it's just me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mikl posted:

Some people just like more salt (or whatever) than the average person, so they just know that if someone else cooked it they're going to want more salt. Why do you even care? It's not an insult for someone to have different tastes or preferences to you.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

People whistling. I don't know what it is, but it's always men in late middle age that whistle walking around shops and it's the most tuneless possible thing.

Standing in a queue and someone insists on standing so close behind you that you can feel them. When you move forward so you don't have them invading your personal space, they shuffle forwards as well. You're not going to be served faster by being in closer proximity to the till.

Drivers who honk or get aggressive when they're wrong. Maybe it's not everyone else who's a terrible driver after all?

Similarly, tail-gating. gently caress tail-gaters.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Some people just like more salt (or whatever) than the average person, so they just know that if someone else cooked it they're going to want more salt. Why do you even care? It's not an insult for someone to have different tastes or preferences to you.

There are two main reasons.

One: what if I know that person likes their food more salty, and I specifically make it more salty? I once did that for a guest, who added even more salt before tasting, then complained about the food being too salty.

Two: it's just bad manners. If you add salt or whatever to a dish without having tasted it, it's as if you were saying "I know from the start that this dish isn't good enough."

I'm not a master chef by any stretch, I'm not even the best cook I know. But I really can't stand this. Taste your food, and then season it if needed. It's not that hard.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Mikl posted:

One: what if I know that person likes their food more salty, and I specifically make it more salty? I once did that for a guest, who added even more salt before tasting, then complained about the food being too salty.

Two: it's just bad manners. If you add salt or whatever to a dish without having tasted it, it's as if you were saying "I know from the start that this dish isn't good enough."

I'm not a master chef by any stretch, I'm not even the best cook I know. But I really can't stand this. Taste your food, and then season it if needed. It's not that hard.

You're talking to goons. They enjoy the fine flavors of Totinos Pizza Rolls. There exists no homecooking that will sate their taste for salt.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Mikl posted:

Well gee sounds like you hosed up and aren't that great of a chef. Now isn't that some food for thought :smug:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
People that don't answer their phone if they don't recognize the number.

Pros of answering:
It could be an emergency!
It could be a telemarketer and you tell them "no" and they stop calling!
Could be someone you know, setting something up, but from a work phone or some such!
Literally, could be ANYTHING!

Cons of answering:

You're out 3 seconds because you can unilaterally end the call if its something you don't want or care about.

Now lets look at the other side!

Pros of NOT Answering:
You get to listen to your ring tone or phone vibrate for 11 seconds! What fun!

Cons of NOT Answering:
It could be a telemarketer and you don't get tell them "no" and they keep calling!
Could be someone you know, setting something up, but from a work phone or some such!

Answer your loving phone.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Yeah except there are a shitload of scams out there that blind dial until they hit a number that someone answers and then will call it a few times a week from different spoofed numbers.

If it's an emergency or just calling from a different phone leave a drat message.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Mikl posted:

For me it's more "I know I have bad taste buds and will find normal good food bland". Getting offended as the chef is pointless - I'm sure there are people who salt their food before tasting it in michelin star restaurants too. Who cares, let them "ruin" their food if they want.

Jastiger posted:

Pros of answering:
It could be a telemarketer and you tell them "no" and they stop calling!

Cons of answering:

You're out 3 seconds because you can unilaterally end the call if its something you don't want or care about.

Now lets look at the other side!

Pros of NOT Answering:
You get to listen to your ring tone or phone vibrate for 11 seconds! What fun!

Cons of NOT Answering:
It could be a telemarketer and you don't get tell them "no" and they keep calling!

Why would a number I don't recognize be calling me with an emergency? Why wouldn't they just call 911 instead? If it's an "emergency" like "I really need a ride right now", just leave a message and I'll do it. Answering the phone when it's a telemarketer doesn't make them stop calling. In fact, it is more likely to make them keep calling when they find out there is someone answering on the other end. I only know so many people. They are all in my phone. If they call, I answer. If some number in Utah or something is calling me, I let it go to voicemail.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 19:41 on Mar 9, 2015

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Mikl posted:

OH MY GOD THIS. THERE IS ALREADY SEASONING ON IT. Now you've added a buttload of salt to something that already loving had salt. And now it's too salty.

Also anyone who puts ketchup on steak.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Jastiger posted:

I don't answer any calls from numbers with area codes I don't recognize because 99.9% of the time it's a scam robo-call. In the 0.1% of cases where it's legit they can leave a message and I'll call them back, and if it's an emergency that can't wait the 2 minutes it takes to let it ring out and leave a voicemail they should've called 911 instead. If I'm not answering I just silence the ringer by pressing one of the side buttons which has been a feature on every phone made since flip phones at least and just let it silently ring out to voicemail and go on with my day.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why would you assume i meant they were reporting the emergency to you? What world is that? How do you know it's not the police or hospital calling you after 911 has been called?

Again refer to the pro con list. Negatives you're out like...3 seconds.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Why would you assume i meant they were reporting the emergency to you? What world is that? How do you know it's not the police or hospital calling you after 911 has been called?

Again refer to the pro con list. Negatives you're out like...3 seconds.

Well, not necessarily. Like other people have mentioned, the biggest reason I don't answer unrecognized phone numbers is because of the whole telemarketing trick where an answered call is flagged as a valid number to call incessantly and aggressively at all hours of the day for the next 2 to 3 weeks until they move on to the next batch of people to harass.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Well, not necessarily. Like other people have mentioned, the biggest reason I don't answer unrecognized phone numbers is because of the whole telemarketing trick where an answered call is flagged as a valid number to call incessantly and aggressively at all hours of the day for the next 2 to 3 weeks until they move on to the next batch of people to harass.

Having worked as a sales person if I call a number and it's never answered it'd still valid.

If i call and you say no, gently caress you, it is no longer valid.

When you ignore it, it keeps your number as "valid" since they know it's real and has never received a "no".

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Just talk dirty to them its not sexual harassment if they called you.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Jastiger posted:

Having worked as a sales person if I call a number and it's never answered it'd still valid.

When you ignore it, it keeps your number as "valid" since they know it's real and has never received a "no".

How do I know you're not lying to me to trick me into getting telemarketed?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Oh well that changes everything. Except that no, every time I've answered a call from an unrecognized number that turned out to be a telemarketer and told them to pound sand, I've coincidentally gotten a ton of follow-up calls from other similar numbers in the weeks following the call. And when I don't answer unrecognized numbers from places like CALIFORNIA, USA, then I never have this issue.

Perhaps you worked for a reputable sales company that actually took "no" for an answer and did your job, but many more of them do not and it's a lot easier to screen all of my unrecognized calls than to answer them and suddenly have to deal with 2-3 weeks of whatever bullshit ensues after one of these blind-calling companies "discovers" me.

Cream-of-Plenty has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Mar 10, 2015

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Jastiger posted:

That's great but these people aren't sales people, they are scammers.

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep

Ryoshi posted:

That's great but these people aren't sales people, they are scammers.

Also a lot of people get really anxious about answering the phone

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Jastiger posted:

I'm driving/showering/sleeping/plowing your mom. Leave a message, rear end in a top hat.

Stop linking the giant source files from gfycat. The website's entire purpose is to make the big thing smaller so it doesn't take forever for my buttfuck nowhere internet connection to load it. It makes literally no loving sense to link the giant file.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mikl posted:

So, you'd prefer them to taste it and go "Well, this isn't good enough, needs salt"? If you think adding salt is an insult, why does it matter whether they try it first or not?

Adding salt isn't an insult, BTW, different people just have different tastes. No one is thinking "I know this food will be poo poo, so I'll add salt" they're thinking "I know I like a lot more salt than anyone I know, so I'll add some."

Jastiger posted:

People who always answer the phone no matter what they're doing. I've called people from work and got "Can you call back, I'm on a roof." or "...I'm on the freeway." or "...it's too loud in here, I can't hear you." and one particularly memorable time where, before I even said anything, the person on the other end said "You'll have to call back, I'm driving." and hung up. So they didn't even answer to find out who was calling, or say when they'd be in a position to take a call, it was just completely pointless.

That's what voicemail is for! If you're in a position where it's not safe to take a call or you're too busy or you're in a noisy environment, just let it go! The person calling will leave a message or call you back, or text you, or talk to you on Facebook, or any one of the many different ways the modern world provides for us to contact each other!

Murphy Brownback posted:

Answering the phone when it's a telemarketer doesn't make them stop calling. In fact, it is more likely to make them keep calling when they find out there is someone answering on the other end.
They know if it's a valid number or not by whether it even rings at all. If they're a legitimate company then you can ask them not to call back and they won't. If they're scammers then it doesn't really matter what you do since they'll probably call again regardless.

Sociopastry posted:

Also anyone who puts ketchup on steak.
People who care how others like their food. If I'm cooking for someone and they want their steak well-done with tomato sauce (ketchup) on it, that's how I'll serve it to them. I made lasagne for a friend who put tomato sauce on it. I laughed at him, but it's not offensive to me that that's how he likes it.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Perhaps you worked for a reputable sales company that actually took "no" for an answer and did your job, but many more of them do not and it's a lot easier to screen all of my unrecognized calls than to answer them and suddenly have to deal with 2-3 weeks of whatever bullshit ensues after one of these blind-calling companies "discovers" me.
They've discovered you either way. Invalid numbers don't ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

They've discovered you either way. Invalid numbers don't ring.

Perhaps "discovered" was the wrong word to use, but there's certainly something going on where answering the phone causes some sort of switch to flip where you get hit up with a bunch of calls in the immediate future, and not answering the mystery calls doesn't.