Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

AradoBalanga posted:

Some details about bonus episodes have popped up. One will star Moira, while the other will star Natalia. Both of these episodes have some...odd parameters, in terms of gameplay mechanics.

So yes, one of Moira's alternate outfits has an in-game justification, and it will be seen here.

Is it just me or is Moira wearing Claire's jacket in that first image?

I wonder if that means the gap between Claire and Barry's story then involves some sort of Last of Us style twist where Claire is injured/killed at the climax of her side of the story and Moire has to put to use what she learned in Claire's school of hard knocks to survive without her violent sociopath best friend.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

Is it just me or is Moira wearing Claire's jacket in that first image?
It's just you. What you're seeing is just Moira's default outfit after about 6 months of not being washed or cleaned + a scarf, one glove, and bandages.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Barry has two daughters and the other hasn't been mentioned yet I think. Kinda got a suspicion that has something to do with it.

Barry mentions her in episode 2.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

codenameFANGIO posted:

I'm pretty sure the Gamecube ports are literally just the Playstation 1 versions with zero graphical upgrades of any kind.

IIRC it was something like the DC versions having high res player/NPC models, but no other 3D objects were higher res and the backgrounds were like the PSX so it kind of clashed at times (like when the gun shop is busted into in RE2, the huge shards of glass). The GC version's characters aren't quite as improved as the DC version, but they are slightly along with everything else. It was honestly very difficult to tell the difference when actually playing them though, and I wouldn't let it effect which version one plays. Though the GC versions do have the arranged modes for some variety. One thing that I don't see mentioned though is that the DC and Gamecube versions have noticeably clear sound than the PSX games. The biggest letdown with the GC version is that it wasn't a port of the N64 game which had some cool extras not in any other version.

Kindjal
Dec 10, 2003

Time to let go. Follow me.
So I've been playing the Remaster on Steam and spotted something pretty cool in the backyard crypt I'd never noticed before.

I'm no expert, but it looks like Greek script on the stones underneath the slots for the death masks. I'd really like to find out if they actually say something interesting or if its just random nonsense. On another note, that room looks like it got a much more thorough overhaul than any of the other areas I've seen so far. It almost looks like a high quality real time environment instead of a touched up pre-rendered backdrop, and I really wish the rest of the game had gotten the same treatment.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Kindjal posted:

So I've been playing the Remaster on Steam and spotted something pretty cool in the backyard crypt I'd never noticed before.

I'm no expert, but it looks like Greek script on the stones underneath the slots for the death masks. I'd really like to find out if they actually say something interesting or if its just random nonsense. On another note, that room looks like it got a much more thorough overhaul than any of the other areas I've seen so far. It almost looks like a high quality real time environment instead of a touched up pre-rendered backdrop, and I really wish the rest of the game had gotten the same treatment.

I'm no scholar of Greek, but the first line of text seems be a loose interpretation of "Capcom", the Greek 'X' letter being more generally used for a 'ch' sound, though. The second line appears to say "ugchbeenl", and given that everything past that is one huge block of letters, it doesn't look promising.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yeah, I was gonna say. Given some of the utter nonsense written on the items you pick up if you examine them, I'd be astounded if Capcom used the Greek letters for anything but more gibberish.

FatalT
Sep 11, 2001

I'm BLUE da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee...
For all the people who purchased the in-game $19.99 season pass, check your Notifications on PS4. You should have a game announcement from Sony with a voucher containing a code for the season pass. Everything is in working order now!

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

I've completed all the current Raid Mode levels and the throwback pack.

Once you find a legendary it can be generated in the shop. I've seen about six Drakes there since I found mine.

Has anyone found a Pale Rider?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

FatalT posted:

For all the people who purchased the in-game $19.99 season pass, check your Notifications on PS4. You should have a game announcement from Sony with a voucher containing a code for the season pass. Everything is in working order now!
Got mine. You still have to "purchase" the second episode in the in-game store, but it's free. You can probably go through the normal store to do it too, but who knows these days.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

RoanHorse posted:

I've completed all the current Raid Mode levels and the throwback pack.

Once you find a legendary it can be generated in the shop. I've seen about six Drakes there since I found mine.

Has anyone found a Pale Rider?

Doesn't need to be found, I don't think. First thing I saw when I went into raid mode shop after Ep 2 came out was a Drake. I hadn't even played a map.

How does the release date and time for the episodes work out? Is it Steam Update time or midnight or some other weird timezone? Do PC people need to wait a day later?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Broose posted:

Doesn't need to be found, I don't think. First thing I saw when I went into raid mode shop after Ep 2 came out was a Drake. I hadn't even played a map.

How does the release date and time for the episodes work out? Is it Steam Update time or midnight or some other weird timezone? Do PC people need to wait a day later?

The third episode will come out sometime tomorrow on PSN, whenever the store updates. PC/Xbox users get it on Wednesday.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

Broose posted:

The Steam release for each episode is Tuesdays at 9pm Pacific/Wednesdays at 12am Eastern. Of course since it's Steam it's actually anywhere from right on time to an hour late.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I'm really enjoying the campaigns so far, they're pretty good and surprisingly re-playable. I just finished the first episode in countdown mode, Barry's section up until you escape the prison was really stingy with the time crystals. I'm not coming around to Raid mode though. It's just pointless. It's a score mode with no scoring mechanism and a horde mode with barely any enemies coming at you.

It's funny that even when Capcom are obviously half arsing it like they are with this title, the basic Resident Evil formula is still a good one. You would hope they would be able to make a really good full numbered entry now.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Kindjal posted:

It almost looks like a high quality real time environment instead of a touched up pre-rendered backdrop

It doesn't just look like one, it IS one, the entire room was redone in-engine, another noticable example is the room with the bird cage. I guess it would've been too much effort to do that for every room.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Started playing rev2 and it's alright. just seems to be more of Last of Us, though.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I really want to like Revelations 2, but it's just so frustrating to play. I really like that they cared so little about the PC port that they made the default sprint key alt and the swap characters key tab, and nobody realized how phenomenally dumb that is. :downs:

This is the first Resident Evil game I've played that I didn't have a good time playing, and I don't like that feeling one bit.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

ManOfTheYear posted:

Started playing rev2 and it's alright. just seems to be more of Last of Us, though.
You say that like more The Last Of Us is a bad thing?

Also, how is the new steam version of Resident Evil (the first game)? Is it any good? I'm kind of feeling an itch to play one of the older games but it's been almost a decade since I played any before RE4, I think.

Edit: Also, what are critical hits in raid mode? I have a bunch of half formed memories from Rev1's raid mode and i can't recall what it is exactly. Is it just that every shot has a chance to cause extra damage or was it that you have to be hitting the weak point and then you have a chance for even more bonus damage?

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 10, 2015

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I got into the raid mode and I like it well enough, but jesus if this game isn't a grabby cash-in. I'm re-playing re6 areas with inferior graphics. How come this game looks so plain? i mean it's alright and rev 1 looked great on 3ds, but this is a bit bleh.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

It's not bad, but I already played that game through many times. Say what you want about the later re games, but 5 is different from 4 and 6 is different from both of them and rev1 is more of a mix between the classic re feel with modern re setting. This feels a bit like "welp, people liked the raid more and The Last of Us, so let's make some decent money"

How come this is episodic anyway?

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 10, 2015

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I would be really surprised if The Last of Us was any influence on this game whatsoever.

I'm putting off the remaining episodes until I can play them all at once, but what I got out of the first chapter wasn't so much half-assed as stripped down. It's Resident Evil at its basest elements, with a team that's working in an unfamiliar format. It's not quite amateurish, although the PC optimization is troubling; it's more like they deliberately aren't bringing their A-game because they aren't sure how much they can get away with in a download.

ManOfTheYear posted:

How come this is episodic anyway?

It's an experiment by Capcom. For a long stretch of last year, the company's profits remained high despite a lack of new releases, which was entirely on the strength of rereleasing their catalog on Steam and other direct-download services. They're looking into alternative methods of content delivery, and if direct downloads on the game outsell the disc version, I'd imagine you'll see them gradually move further away from brick-and-mortar stores.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Wanderer posted:

I would be really surprised if The Last of Us was any influence on this game whatsoever.

Well, you can crouch now and you've got stealth kills (althought I think those were in 6?) and Natalie has that skill where you can see the figures of enemies through walls and the weapon upgrades are done on a work bench. It's a bit Last of Us-sy.

Also you can pick up and throw (glowing) bricks.

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 10, 2015

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

ManOfTheYear posted:

Well, you can crouch now and you've got stealth kills (althought I think those were in 6?) and Natalie has that skill where you can see the figures of enemies through walls and the weapon upgrades are done on a work bench. It's a bit Last of Us-sy.

Also you can pick up and throw (glowing) bricks.

Not to mention crafting supplies and one time use weapons.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
These all sound like pretty standard TPS things to me nowadays.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

poptart_fairy posted:

These all sound like pretty standard TPS things to me nowadays.

It's like The Last Of Us was fairly stock or something.

like I don't mean to poo poo on the game (okay I do a little bit) but it's very hard to claim something draws inspiration from Last of Us when it has no unique elements to very obviously signposted "We were inspired by this", Rev2 is another TPS with a lot of the standard TPS mechanics.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Rev2 is another TPS with a lot of the standard TPS mechanics.

And a really stupid plot.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

And a really stupid plot.

Pretty sure this is a requirement for Resident Evil games at this point.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

smenj posted:

Pretty sure this is a requirement for Resident Evil games at this point.

They wouldn't be nearly as good as they are if it wasn't a requirement.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Stupid plots have been a requirement since the very first game. When your antagonist is basically always a corporation with the dumbest business plan ever it's always going to be dumb. This is not a bad thing.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Stupid plots have been a requirement since the very first game. When your antagonist is basically always a corporation with the dumbest business plan ever it's always going to be dumb. This is not a bad thing.

Trying to treat Resident Evil as serious is a bad idea, even for the developers. The awful dialogue and voice acting of the first 3 was crucial, and RE4 wouldn't have been nearly as awesome if there wasn't awful jokes and scenery chewing. In a way, Barry is a microcosm of everything right with the whole series.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

InequalityGodzilla posted:

You say that like The Last Of Us isn't a Bad Video Game.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!

Butt Ghost posted:

You say that like The Last Of Us isn't a Bad Video Game.

Is this one of those "hate whatever is popular" posts? Since when did The Last of Us become a bad game?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

No, I just think it's a mediocre shooter with bad AI.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
If Capcom moves towards having the Revelations series be more like the original games and the numbered series be more like 5 and 6, then good for them. It gives those of us that didn't like the last two game something to have fun with and they still get to keep all the fans that liked 5 and 6.

Also, Polygon is doing a let's play of Rev2. They did some local co-op and other than the split-screen looking weird, it seemed pretty fun if one person is ok with not having a gun. Just don't don't expect much from their fight with the boss of Barry's second episode, it's hilariously inept.

Butt Ghost posted:

No, I just think it's a mediocre shooter with bad AI.

I'd say that LoU is more of a story game with some shooting and stealth added to avoid being another Heavy Rain, but what's a good shooter with good AI that actually has a story worth paying attention to? I can't think of very many, as anyone that would complain about LoU would probably complain about the BioShock games.

Also, LoU has a terrific multiplayer mode.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 10, 2015

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Is there not a new episode of Revelations 2 this week? PS4 network should be done updating for the week and nothing has hit the store yet.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

DeathSandwich posted:

Is there not a new episode of Revelations 2 this week? PS4 network should be done updating for the week and nothing has hit the store yet.

I don't think the webstore has finished updating yet for whatever reason.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

There is, but it's not up for whatever reason. Current guess is sometime this evening.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It just went up: https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/rer2-episode-three-judgment/cid=UP0102-CUSA00924_00-BHR2EPISODE30000

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Strongly advise folks grab it via the web or the console's PS store because it doesn't show up in the in-game store (shocking!) if you have the season pass

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
So much for a simultaneous world wide release plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Lunethex posted:

So much for a simultaneous world wide release plan.

We sadly do not yet have complete global saturation.