Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Discomancer posted:

Go to the Arboretum or Discovery Park (or both)

Listen to this guy. The Arboretum isn't much of a hike but it's an absolute must see. Easily my favorite place to be in Seattle. Disco park can definitely be made more of a hike, but it's a bit more out of the way from most of Seattle. Also you might see naked people on the beach, even in the winter. They're both pretty high traffic, but regardless I recommend the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You can eat darn well for two nights as long as you don't mind a heavy pack. When you get beyond that you need to at least start thinking about what you are carrying. A lot of folks in here seem to be worried about pack weights which food can become a pretty big concern.

Water trips can be great especially with regard to food. I'd guess you could easily cover twenty miles a day, but start slow maybe just an overnight trip. You'd definitely want to have a partner on the trip as well.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

HarryPurvis posted:

Side note that San Gorgonio Wilderness is beautiful. Must be extra gorgeous with the fresh snow they received last weekend. Please share any photos if you can when you get back!

Update: Still pretty snowy! We (party of 4) didn't end up making to Dry Lake unfortunately. We got about 3-3.5 miles up, but a couple of tweaked ankles and waning light saw us turning back unfortunately. We did not go with any trek poles or mini-spikes. The wetness of the snow actually wasn't really an issue, but slogging through it was pretty tough. Overall we had an average of 30 pounds per pack, but we overpacked water significantly.

We still had a ton of fun! Definitely very good learning experience, and I don't mind we hauled abunch of gear unnecessarily. More calories burned that way.

Here's some pictures:

This is about the first .5 mile up, great place to chill and get used to altitude and snack.

Horse Meadow has some picnic tables at it and seems to be a gathering point for people 1.2 miles up.

this is about 2.5 miles in. The snow was pretty deep around the trail.

Pretty sure this is north, with I guess Big Bear over that ridge?

And some brave souls (not us) just ramped it up the mountain on all that snow.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

The interaction of nature and the works of man are my favorite parts of hiking.

Also, train tunnels are unnerving as poo poo.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

bunnielab posted:

The interaction of nature and the works of man are my favorite parts of hiking.

Also, train tunnels are unnerving as poo poo.

Hey....That's PA isn't it?

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004

HEY VAPER posted:

Listen to this guy. The Arboretum isn't much of a hike but it's an absolute must see. Easily my favorite place to be in Seattle. Disco park can definitely be made more of a hike, but it's a bit more out of the way from most of Seattle. Also you might see naked people on the beach, even in the winter. They're both pretty high traffic, but regardless I recommend the same.

Thanks for the recommendations. Will seeing/ exploring those two things take up the 6-8 hours? I'm not worried about having to drive 30 minutes to an hour outside of Seattle to get to somewhere cool.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Jose Cuervo posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. Will seeing/ exploring those two things take up the 6-8 hours? I'm not worried about having to drive 30 minutes to an hour outside of Seattle to get to somewhere cool.

If you're willing to drive, rattlesnake ledge is pretty cool and worth a look but not sure if it's worth the drive for such a short hike. About 30-45 minutes out of the city and a good hike that doesn't feel like a walking park full of strollers and tourists. It's short (I think maybe only 4 miles round trip) but the views up top are cool.

Maybe also try snow lake. Snoqualmie region is pretty close to the city and has a lot to offer. It can get busy though.

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/snow-lake-1

If you're downtown near pikes market, check out Zainas for a falafel sandwich ... They make a good one if you're into that sort of thing. And get it spicy. Seriously one of my favorite items in life.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

VendaGoat posted:

Hey....That's PA isn't it?

Close, northern MD. Went out to check out the Patapsco river with a friend of mine. It is supposed to be a decent trout river and should be a blast to go wading and tubing in this summer. We did about 5-6 miles following a trail that runs along an old rail line.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Jose Cuervo posted:

Yeah and plenty of good places to get lunch between the two as well. Bring a camera to the arboretum! You can spend all day walking around there if you're at all interested in plants or photography.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...
Last weekend the Department of Fish and Wildlife Services held its annual Bighorn Sheep census in the San Gabriel mountains. After the populate crashed back in the 90's there has been a more concerted effort to protect this particular regions Bighorns. Currently there are estimated to be 400-500 Bighorns in the San Gabriel range.

I went out with an all volunteer group along the South Fork of Lyttle Creek. It was a great adventure as a storm front had blown in that weekend and was still lingering throughout the day. We ended up getting rain and hail - and spotting a single herd of six Bighorns. There were four ewes, a ram, and a lamb / yearling.

Starting out weather isn't too bad

Bonita Falls

Mountains around us dusted with snow

Spotting our first Bighorn, a single ewe

Some perspective; the sheep we are observing are in the small scree patch just above the large scree slope

The family; One ram, one lamb / yearling, two ewes.

One of the ewes we spotted had been previously tagged and fitted with a radio collar. This was big news as there had not been a sighting of a collared ewe in over a year after the last battery ran out.

No more sheep photos. Just nature and hiking shots.

Full gallery with additional photos here

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006

Noah posted:

Update: Still pretty snowy! We (party of 4) didn't end up making to Dry Lake unfortunately. We got about 3-3.5 miles up, but a couple of tweaked ankles and waning light saw us turning back unfortunately. We did not go with any trek poles or mini-spikes. The wetness of the snow actually wasn't really an issue, but slogging through it was pretty tough. Overall we had an average of 30 pounds per pack, but we overpacked water significantly.

We still had a ton of fun! Definitely very good learning experience, and I don't mind we hauled abunch of gear unnecessarily. More calories burned that way.

And some brave souls (not us) just ramped it up the mountain on all that snow.

Looks like an awesome winter trek! Sucks that you didn't get to camp out, but looks like you still had a good trip.

From personal experience micro spikes are the single best investment you can make for winter hiking in Southern California. We tend to not get the heavy snows that require more mountaineering focused gear like crampons and ice axes. And the places you can put mountaineering gear to use (Baldy bowl, San Gorgonio) versus where you can put micro spikes to use (everywhere else) is huge.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
Nice photos of your sheep quest!

I didn't realize there were so few of them around. I have never been to the East Fork and NOT seen at least one.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Sweet, SEKI just charged my credit card for my permit request. I was worried there was something wrong with my request since I hadn't heard from them and the only major permit applications I've done have been with Yosemite, and they respond within a day or so.

Doing a weeklong stretch near the end of September starting on the west side that loops around and includes part of the JMT from Palisades to the other side of Forester, then will probably cut up into the Lake South America area and hike down the Kern River drainage and eventually loop back around to where I started. Have to plan out the exact route but it should be pretty sweet as long as I don't get snowed on.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
A bud and I are looking for a solid place to go backpacking for 3 or 4 days somewhere in SoCal in about two weeks. I was thinking we might do Cucamonga Wilderness, but do you guys have any other suggestions?

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006

Ploft-shell crab posted:

A bud and I are looking for a solid place to go backpacking for 3 or 4 days somewhere in SoCal in about two weeks. I was thinking we might do Cucamonga Wilderness, but do you guys have any other suggestions?

Cucamonga is nice, but it could be a stretch to make a 3 or 4 day trip out of the area. San Gorgonio Wilderness is larger and more remote than Cucamonga (if that's your thing). You can also pick a section of the PCT that runs through SoCal and hike that. How many miles do you plan on hiking? Are you interested in peak bagging, or just getting out? And are you prepared for snow?

Oh, and just a reminder that Mountain Lions live nearby: P-19 & 15-Month-Old Kittens :3:

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004

Verman posted:

If you're willing to drive, rattlesnake ledge is pretty cool and worth a look but not sure if it's worth the drive for such a short hike. About 30-45 minutes out of the city and a good hike that doesn't feel like a walking park full of strollers and tourists. It's short (I think maybe only 4 miles round trip) but the views up top are cool.

Maybe also try snow lake. Snoqualmie region is pretty close to the city and has a lot to offer. It can get busy though.

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/snow-lake-1

If you're downtown near pikes market, check out Zainas for a falafel sandwich ... They make a good one if you're into that sort of thing. And get it spicy. Seriously one of my favorite items in life.

Rattlesnake ledge looks fantastic. Now to try and convince my wife to go there over the Arboretum.

Discomancer posted:

Yeah and plenty of good places to get lunch between the two as well. Bring a camera to the arboretum! You can spend all day walking around there if you're at all interested in plants or photography.

If we end up deciding on the Arboretum I will probably hit you up for some food recommendations.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

HarryPurvis posted:

Oh, and just a reminder that Mountain Lions live nearby: P-19 & 15-Month-Old Kittens :3:

I know the thread is still afraid of bears but we should be cool with cougars, they like hiking too

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
REI is running a sale. Got any recommendations for a decent warm/fall weather hiking boot? I have some Scarpa crux approach shoes that are comfortable as hell, but I'd like something with ankle support if the price is right.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Officer Sandvich posted:

I know the thread is still afraid of bears but we should be cool with cougars, they like hiking too

Thats a big cat. Glad I didn't see any when we were up there last year.

Reality aside, a cougar would be an awesome hiking partner.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

REI is running a sale. Got any recommendations for a decent warm/fall weather hiking boot? I have some Scarpa crux approach shoes that are comfortable as hell, but I'd like something with ankle support if the price is right.

I've been using Salomon Quest 4D II GTX hiking boots this fall winter season. So far have nothing but praise for them. I've done numerous snow hikes, rainy hikes, water crossings, etc, and they have kept my feet bone dry. They have also proven comfortable on 10+ mile hikes without any foot pain or soreness afterwards. No blister issues either. As with any and all gear though ymmv.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

HarryPurvis posted:

Cucamonga is nice, but it could be a stretch to make a 3 or 4 day trip out of the area. San Gorgonio Wilderness is larger and more remote than Cucamonga (if that's your thing). You can also pick a section of the PCT that runs through SoCal and hike that. How many miles do you plan on hiking? Are you interested in peak bagging, or just getting out? And are you prepared for snow?
Gotcha. San Gorgonio looks like another solid option.

We don't have snowshoes/crampons so trekking across snow is unfortunately out, but we're otherwise prepared for the cold. So peak bagging is probably out.

I think we will probably do ~6-7 miles a day with elevation gain.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Look Sir Droids posted:

I've been using these Zamberlan's for a couple years: http://www.rei.com/product/774690/zamberlan-vioz-gt-hiking-boots-mens

I've hiked hundreds of km in them in rain and snow and they are great. I wear them snowshoeing and they stay warm. Very, very comfortable. I often just wear them as my regular day shoe because I am a vagabond and hate travelling with a bunch of pairs of shoes. I just make sure to keep them nice and waxed up. Only time I have noticed my feet getting wet (other than sweat, the one downside of a waterproof hiking boot) is while on a multi-day hike through very wet meadows. I highly recommend them.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Tomorrow morning I'm going with a friend of mine up to see how close we can get to the Palisade glaciers up near Lonepine in Eastern California. I have some new MSR snowshoes and I hope I get to use them.

I live in the SFV in Los Angeles and we should get a goon hiking trip together soon.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Look Sir Droids posted:

HarryPurvis posted:

I've been using Salomon Quest 4D II GTX hiking boots this fall winter season. So far have nothing but praise for them. I've done numerous snow hikes, rainy hikes, water crossings, etc, and they have kept my feet bone dry. They have also proven comfortable on 10+ mile hikes without any foot pain or soreness afterwards. No blister issues either. As with any and all gear though ymmv.

I picked up the same boots pretty recently new for 50bux at an REI garage sale, have only used them a few times but I have nothing but nice things to say about them. First time taking them out I couldn't find my liner socks and I was a bit disappointed, but actually wearing the socks changed my opinion. Going from a trailrunner these boots are light enough that it doesn't feel like I'm wearing lead shoes, and the ankle support is definitely there. Very adjustable too. A+ would recommend. I'm pretty sure I'll still pick the trailrunners over the boots for the majority of things (better traction) but its nice to know I have them when I need them.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Some fanastic news from :canada:

You can book a spot at Lake O'Hara online starting April 1, 3 months in advance. Before you had to call or visit a Parks Canada office, which made the mad dash for a space fairly annoying. It's one of the very few areas we have that have strict restrictions on visitation numbers. I'm stoked about this and am already picking dates to go!

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/bc/yoho/natcul/ohara.aspx

BTW, this is Lake O'Hara:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

like permits to camp there or are there cabins or something? Looks pretty...the Canadian Rockies are pretty ridiculously nice looking

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

There's a quota system in place to limit the number of people each day by shuttle bus. There's a backcountry lodge and a small campground for overnight stays, campers cannot stay more than 3 nights or book more than two tentpads, 1 small tent per pad. The road is 11km, and you are able to hike it if you choose. No bikes. All campsites have to be reserved and no walk-in booking is allowed. So yeah, it's not easy to get there, but being able to book online makes it a bit less complicated.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Anyone have an opinion on Sierra Designs Flashlight tents? I might be able to get the one-person version at a steep discount from a buddy and wondered how it would compare to, say, a Passage 1. I'm just getting in to camping and want to try backpacking, but my budget is, shall we say, not huge.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

atomicgeek posted:

Anyone have an opinion on Sierra Designs Flashlight tents? I might be able to get the one-person version at a steep discount from a buddy and wondered how it would compare to, say, a Passage 1. I'm just getting in to camping and want to try backpacking, but my budget is, shall we say, not huge.

I bought a flashlight 1 new in the early 2000's and just finally retired it last year when the elastic in the poles had dried out to the point where they did not function any more. It always served me well on trips where I knew I would not need a freestanding tent. I am sure the modern incarnation of it is a whole different animal though. I am buying a new 1 person for bikepacking this year and I have been looking at freestanding tents, but if someone offered me another flashlight at a discount I'd have trouble saying no.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Picnic Princess posted:

Some fanastic news from :canada:

You can book a spot at Lake O'Hara online starting April 1, 3 months in advance. Before you had to call or visit a Parks Canada office, which made the mad dash for a space fairly annoying. It's one of the very few areas we have that have strict restrictions on visitation numbers. I'm stoked about this and am already picking dates to go!

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/bc/yoho/natcul/ohara.aspx

BTW, this is Lake O'Hara:

:stare:
So, the prettiest place on Earth. Gotcha

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Hey Saint Fu, you hiked the High Sierra Trail heading away from Whitney, right? Did you exit out on the west side of the mountains? How was that stretch from Junction Meadow to (what I assume is) the other side of the Divide?

Tossing around ideas in my head about what to do on a trip in SEKI and I'm not sure if I'll have time to hit up that part of the High Sierra Trail or have to cut back to the west side over Colby Pass, but if it sounds neat...

I'm also toying with the idea of doing the first major stretch of the Sierra High Route out across that high area west of Pinchot, Upper Basin, etc. Looks fabulous but I'm not sure I can convince my wife that some of the passes are a good idea to handle. they don't look *too* bad (looks all class 2 though I've heard some spots described as class 2-3), then I'd cut down the JMT. Would also love to turn up Bubbs Creek and then down towards Reflection Lake and up over Harrison Pass into the Upper Kerns Basin area, but I hear Harrison Pass is a bitch

Levitate fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 13, 2015

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

VendaGoat posted:

:stare:
So, the prettiest place on Earth. Gotcha

One of the prettiest places. The whole Canadian Rockies is kind of insanely mindblowing. This is just one particular place I haven't taken the effort to visit yet. An hour and half drive from my house. You'd think I'd have done it by now.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
What would folks recommend for a mid-layer jacket?

Here's my situation - some of my day hikes are getting longer and more remote and I'm starting to think more about what I would want with me for a day hike that unexpectedly turned overnight. Most "essentials" list a mid-layer jacket as a part of being prepared. I'm very happy with my base layers for hot and cold weather and I have a good hard rain shell that doesn't provide much warmth, so what makes sense to have to go in between the layers in case? I've been bringing a pretty standard North Face softshell but it packs large, even in a stuff sack. Is there something that is ideal for this situation? I also do carry a bivvy sack but feel like I need something more. What about just an extra cold-weather base layer that I could add?

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Since I wasn't the only person who replied to the guy asking about Seattle area hikes: can anyone think of anything low traffic, vaguely in the greater Seattle area, that would be good for my almost 70 year old Dad to hike? Pretty much everything I hike on a regular basis are short + high elevation gain training hikes like Mailbox which is the exact opposite of what would work for him. He's in decently good shape for his age, but his cardio isn't the best (will be training it on jumprope) and I'd like to gradually help him get into shape so we can backpack together in a year or two.

gohuskies posted:

Here's my situation - some of my day hikes are getting longer and more remote and I'm starting to think more about what I would want with me for a day hike that unexpectedly turned overnight. Most "essentials" list a mid-layer jacket as a part of being prepared. I'm very happy with my base layers for hot and cold weather and I have a good hard rain shell that doesn't provide much warmth, so what makes sense to have to go in between the layers in case? I've been bringing a pretty standard North Face softshell but it packs large, even in a stuff sack. Is there something that is ideal for this situation? I also do carry a bivvy sack but feel like I need something more. What about just an extra cold-weather base layer that I could add?

Depends on what your needs are, and what you currently have. Mind posting a rundown of the layering system you typically take on hikes? The go-to suggestion would be a down jacket, and you don't need to spend a lot.. 700 fill is plenty warm for high activity stuff like day hiking but warm enough to do the job overnight in most climates. I personally prefer a down vest for day hikes because you can actually wear it while hiking without sweating, but it may not keep you warm enough at night depending on your climate.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

gohuskies posted:

Down is good if you're in a dry, cold (below freezing) climate and it packs down super small. Otherwise synthetic insulation is your best bet so you don't freeze your rear end off if it happens to get wet. Here are a few good light/mid weight jackets to consider:

Synthetic:
Arc'Teryx Atom LT (60g insulation, breathable fleece side panels)
Arc'Teryx Atom AR (120g insulation in body, with less under arms and in hood)
Patagonia Nano Puff (60g insulation, easy to layer)
Patagonia Nano Air (60g insulation, super breathable but little wind protection)

Down:
Arc'Teryx Thorium AR (I own this and it's great but not worth full price)
Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer (Super light and compressible)
Rab Microlight Alpine Jacket (Also super light. Pretty good wind and water resistance for down)

That's a quick run down off the top of my head, but there are plenty of great options in the insulated mid layer category and a lot of good deals this time of year, so shop around!

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Tacier posted:

Down is good if you're in a dry, cold (below freezing) climate and it packs down super small. Otherwise synthetic insulation is your best bet so you don't freeze your rear end off if it happens to get wet. Here are a few good light/mid weight jackets to consider:

Synthetic:
Arc'Teryx Atom LT (60g insulation, breathable fleece side panels)
Arc'Teryx Atom AR (120g insulation in body, with less under arms and in hood)
Patagonia Nano Puff (60g insulation, easy to layer)
Patagonia Nano Air (60g insulation, super breathable but little wind protection)

Down:
Arc'Teryx Thorium AR (I own this and it's great but not worth full price)
Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer (Super light and compressible)
Rab Microlight Alpine Jacket (Also super light. Pretty good wind and water resistance for down)

That's a quick run down off the top of my head, but there are plenty of great options in the insulated mid layer category and a lot of good deals this time of year, so shop around!

Also should be noted you can find 500-800 fill down jackets for like $50 or less regularly from non-hiking brands. Might not be min/maxed for ultralight hiking but for the price difference they can come really close and I personally don't like the really warm stuff outside of winter. Land's end has some decent ones in larger sizes right now, and ross and places like that always seem to have them. If you buy a nice down jacket, buy a cheap lovely one too for warmer weather days, you'll wear it more and you won't beat up your nice stuff as much.

Good call on down sucking in the wet. I usually just wear a cheap $20 poly microfleece for my midlayer insulation but it doesn't exactly pack small. Better in the wet than those synthetic "down" jackets but it's going to be the same size as his softshell in the pack. Seems like those are the best middle ground for what he's looking for. I'd start with something off this guy's first list, and get a down down the road (heh, doubledown) if you feel like you need it.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 15, 2015

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The mid-layer is super customizable to the situation. Sometimes you can bring a fleece, but generally a 'puffy' will give you better warmth to weight/volume. There are piles of options.

For synthetic, lots of people like the Atoms, I have the Black Diamond equivalent (cuz it was $25). Pretty much everyone makes a thing with primaloft.

As to down, the market leaders ate Western Mountaineering and Marmot. Arcteryx and Montbell are also really nice. Personally, I think the Thorium is too heavy-duty and would lean toward lighter sweaters unless you're looking for a belay jacket.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have an Atom LT and that thing is insanely warm for how small it packs down. If you stuff it into it's hood it will compress down to like softball sized.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I wear a nano puff year around, it is a fantastic jacket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
I picked up a Black Diamond Stance jacket. Warm and compressible, though it doesn't pack into it's own pocket or come with a stuff sack. Pretty stylish in my opinion, too.