Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SYSV Fanfic posted:

First janitoring in 4 weeks. The wine PPA has a conflict with the fglrx packages.

Fix? Install the driver without using the repo...

fglrx is so bad you're better off using your amd/ati card as a dumb framebuffer with an open source driver. at least it won't crash the system that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

picture, if you will, a platform that your company has no compelling reason to care about because only a tiny handful of hobbyists use it for games and they all already bought your competitor's product anyway

do you (a) waste money developing good drivers anyway, or (b) say "gently caress it" and release fglrx?

nvidia has a real market for its drivers. people actually buy quadros + linux for use in embedded stuff (e.g. arena projectors, VR bullshit, teleconferencing rooms) and the always-tiny, always-shrinking workstation niche (real time NLE, cad, 3d poo poo for petroleum industries)

i guess those markets are too small to split two ways, because amd clearly does not take them seriously

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
so here's the thing: you've been suckered by nvidia, and you don't know it.

writing a fast, compliant opengl driver is hard, and nvidia actually sucks as much as amd at it, but nvidia has the have the game developers in bed, so nvidia's approach is "hotpatch the game at runtime to make it fast with our opengl stack". that's what all those "performance tweaks" you see on windows do.

so, nvidia built up a giant pile of hacks to make things go more than 20fps, and amd/intel don't play that game. so of course what you hear is "amd is trash at writing drivers"

amd solved this problem by making mantle and then throwing it at the khronos board, and that transformed into vulkan.

nvidia, of course, wanted to shut it down, because them being the only people to make a sort-of-working driver gave the the perception they were uber rock gods and nobody else could even step. and nvidia doesn't want to lose that marketing edge, and that power, so they tried really hard to keep it down and keep ogl on course.

but after all the arm gpu vendors appeared and were really excited by it, and have a voting say, *and* after valve/blizzard/transgaming were finally given voting seats on khronos (khronos had a policy for a while about vendors being the only people that actually matter for new tech), *and* after nvidia had a revolt internally with their tegra team which also has a ground-up rewrite of their driver (blob driver is just too big for the android platform), *and* after the momentum built up around dx12, nvidia changed its course because it realized that they can't keep the ogl marketing edge forever.

but the "amd is bad and intel is bad" meme will still live on, because marketing is powerful

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

but the "amd is bad and intel is bad" meme will still live on, because marketing is powerful

intel on linux runs sc2 at 1 fps
intel on windows runs the same game on the same hardware at 30-60 fps

there is a performance penalty between linux/windows in the nvidia driver, too, but it's not 97%.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
right, you're comparing the licensed driver (you think intel wrote the windows driver? lmao) with the open-source driver. yes, mesa and the intel driver are slow.

as mentioned, that's because opengl is super hard to make run fast. vulkan can fix a lot of that.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it is really depressing that the vulkan promo material uses a photo of a unix workstation last sold in 2006, with a 100% fixed-function graphics pipeline.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

right, you're comparing the licensed driver (you think intel wrote the windows driver? lmao) with the open-source driver. yes, mesa and the intel driver are slow.

as mentioned, that's because opengl is super hard to make run fast. vulkan can fix a lot of that.

i'm ok with the "why" but it doesn't change the "what"

i have not been suckered my marketing material. in real life, right now, today, nvidia is tens of times faster than the competition on linux. i'd be very happy to see that change, but it's not going to happen overnight.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it is really depressing that the vulkan promo material uses a photo of a unix workstation last sold in 2006, with a 100% fixed-function graphics pipeline.

you mean the one on the bottom left, where directly under it it says "in the last 22 years since opengl was invented the architecture of gpus and platforms has changed radically"???

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

you mean the one on the bottom left, where directly under it it says "in the last 22 years since opengl was invented the architecture of gpus and platforms has changed radically"???

oh this is intended to be a timeline. i thought it was just a set of things that graphics apis ran on. the two red triangles don't really read "timeline" to me.

that makes it much better and cooler

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Someone find me a fast nvidia desktop card that isn't huge and loud. Right now I'm using an ati 7750, which is okay but the main reason I picked that particular card is it was one of the only reasonably modern cards I could find that wasn't two slots with a huge fan. I'd gladly swap for a comparable nvidia which would actually have full 3d support for me (although they'll add the ati eventually I'm sure). Also all graphics stuff is bad and the less time I think about it the happier I am. Remember manually editing modelines?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The Maxwell 970 cards are all good idk, they got me to switch from ATI. I mean they're still huge, but they run pretty cool and their fans aren't loud really.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

oh this is intended to be a timeline. i thought it was just a set of things that graphics apis ran on. the two red triangles don't really read "timeline" to me.

that makes it much better and cooler

yeah, it's not a great slide, but it's supposed to represent gl4 on the top (gaming apis), gles under that (phone apis) and legacy workstation gl on the bottom (autocad compat mode). they talked more about that in the presentation.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Simcity 2000 right?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Broken Machine posted:

Someone find me a fast nvidia desktop card that isn't huge and loud. Right now I'm using an ati 7750, which is okay but the main reason I picked that particular card is it was one of the only reasonably modern cards I could find that wasn't two slots with a huge fan. I'd gladly swap for a comparable nvidia which would actually have full 3d support for me (although they'll add the ati eventually I'm sure). Also all graphics stuff is bad and the less time I think about it the happier I am. Remember manually editing modelines?

i think all fast cards are huge, though nvidia cards post 600-series haven't been too loud. the gtx750 are the current short/single-slot/htpc nvidia card of choice, should be a couple steps up performance wise from the 7750

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

so, nvidia built up a giant pile of hacks to make things go more than 20fps, and amd/intel don't play that game. so of course what you hear is "amd is trash at writing drivers"

someone who interned at nvidia around the time vista launched wrote about just how bad it actually is:

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/666419-what-are-your-opinions-on-dx12vulkanmantle/#entry5215019

that said, amd drivers are trash. running metro redux on fglrx tops out at ~25 fps whether you have a 7850 or a 290. last year during the whole azdo push they spent months telling people to use multidraw-indirect when they didn't support it. when they finally released drivers that claimed support actually trying to use it caused a crash on both windows and linux.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Suspicious Dish posted:

whoever writes the intel windows driver is an idiot, and intel loses interest in supporting their drivers way too soon

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

get a dreamcast if you want to play sc2 lol

e: or is it the ancient sc2 for dos

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
normal person:

hmm amd runs this game at 20 fps, but a comparable nvidia runs it at 60. guess ill get the nvidia, it is a lot better in real world situations that I'm going to use it for.

idiot yosposters:

ACTUALLY amd isnt bad they just dont cheat like nvidia amd is liek just as good but they have a bad repuatation

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm curious to see the Vulkan specification or really even any meat beyond marketing glossy bullshit

i'm guessing it's going to require a shitton of boilerplate querying the number of available alus and setting up dataflow graphs and othersuch garbage

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
There was plenty of meat at the talk I attended. Yes, it requires you to manage the GPU more of yourself and requires you to create command buffers and dispatch queues. This is a good thing.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
what kind of meat. kebabs? ribs? brisket?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

There was plenty of meat at the talk I attended. Yes, it requires you to manage the GPU more of yourself and requires you to create command buffers and dispatch queues. This is a good thing.

i assume we'll see middleware vendors who pop up, and they can take over the role that the giant miserable nvidia blob plays today

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i assume we'll see middleware vendors who pop up, and they can take over the role that the giant miserable nvidia blob plays today

As long as the status quo is preserved by giant binary middleware blobs.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

well, gnome 3 is almost fully functional now so it sounds like you guys have just the excuse you need to immediately cease all development and start a from-scratch rewrite called gnome 4!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SYSV Fanfic posted:

As long as the status quo is preserved by giant binary middleware blobs.

having the middleware to drive graphics separated from the hardware is a really good thing. there are huge incentives to make middleware work on linux. writing software targeting a specific middleware won't require your users to buy from a specific graphics vendor.

it will make the market way more competitive

amd and intel drivers for linux might actually be good if they don't have to implement the entire opengl kit and kaboodle

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

having the middleware to drive graphics separated from the hardware is a really good thing. there are huge incentives to make middleware work on linux. writing software targeting a specific middleware won't require your users to buy from a specific graphics vendor.

it will make the market way more competitive

amd and intel drivers for linux might actually be good if they don't have to implement the entire opengl kit and kaboodle

As long as nethack continues to work.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Wouldn't want any broken workflows.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
right, i think we're going to see vendors implement opengl on top of vulkan that aren't nvidia / amd.

and it's a good idea.

reminder that nvidia got fairly fast 2d hw-accelerated vector graphics done, but since it's tied up in their opengl driver as an extension for no loving reason, nobody uses it. i'm hoping they can decouple that from their driver.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

well, I'd assume they also implement Direct2D

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Direct2D is actually quite slow.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Proprietary drivers have helped me to hit a full 60fps for a game I am emulating. Fgldsfjksfdx can't be so bad.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

>>gently caress mailbox

verily carefree
Apr 5, 2014

consume the mailbox for nutrition

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

valve demoed a vulkan port of dota 2 running on a prototype driver written by lunarg, which will probably be the first driver available once the spec is released. it's already running quite well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hth4u65zfc

i wonder if anyone will bother to continue working on mesa once vulkan is out. most game developers are ready to dump opengl and d3d11 as soon as possible and the workstation world is all nvidia.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i'd imagine that mesa grows a vulkan backend, and that's the end of that

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Do you mean Mesa would target Vulkan?

Or did you mean a Vulkan state tracker for Gallium? And then a completely different Vulkan implementation for Intel since they still don't use Gallium.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Gallium is already quite close to Vulkan in a lot of ways. NIR has also been ongoing for a while, and SPIR-V is quite close to NIR.

So I meant a new plan:

Start taking Gallium and converting it even more towards a Vulkan model. Now take the Vulkan API, and throw that on top of Gallium as a light-weight state tracker. Throw out TGSI, replace it with NIR/SPIR-V. Bonus points if you then then replace Gallium with the Vulkan API entirely.

Now you have a bunch of Vulkan drivers, and you take mesa's state tracker and you have compat OpenGL for free.

Take Valve's Intel Vulkan driver and throw it in mesa as a Gallium/Vulkan driver. The fate of the classic Intel driver is up to Intel.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

bobbilljim posted:

>>gently caress mailbox

Its a suprising amount of work to implement this in someone else's inform rewrite of zork.

Everyone just pretend like I did it.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

heheheh, he really hosed teh mailbox. wacky as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

bobbilljim posted:

heheheh, he really hosed teh mailbox. wacky as hell

jeeze i wanna mee thtat dick sounds huge, i couldnt ever gently caress a mailbox