Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peggotty
May 9, 2014

In positive news: The new design, while loving up a ton of stuff obviously, has a killer feature. It actually closes the program if you click on the X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

cebrail posted:

In positive news: The new design, while loving up a ton of stuff obviously, has a killer feature. It actually closes the program if you click on the X.

While that is nice, I still can't get over that selecting a playlist folder now doesn't display all the songs from the playlist it contains anymore. That's such a huge step backwards for me, it's ridiculous.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The new update is terrible, I can't search playlists and can't minimize to the icon anyomre.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
What update? I'll be sure to avoid it. Spotify have the worst devs/decision makers.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PaganGoatPants posted:

What update? I'll be sure to avoid it. Spotify have the worst devs/decision makers.

Spotify is actually very, very good at avoiding feature creep. It's just that sometimes I'm completely befuddled at what they decide to cut.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Spotify is a zero-sum program when it comes to features.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

Monday_ posted:

Spotify deleted all my downloaded music on my iPod Touch for some reason. Was working fine yesterday, didn't update anything or touch it at all, just all my poo poo was gone this morning. Now I have to wait for 2000+ songs to download again.

Do you use more than 3 devices? The way their device limit works is when you use a 4th device, they wipe all the downloaded music on one of your devices: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Accounts-and-Subscriptions/Device-limit/td-p/279252

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

DominoDancing posted:

Spotify is actually very, very good at avoiding feature creep. It's just that sometimes I'm completely befuddled at what they decide to cut.

Why feature creep when you can just add and remove features at random.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

What kind of music app prevents you from searching your own playlists? New Spotify looks nice, I guess, but it's taken a serious dump in functionality.

For every step forward Spotify takes, they take at least 3 steps back.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I have to agree, not being able to search your playlists is a terrible thing to remove. Fingers crossed that it wasn't actually intended and it'll make its way back in. I'm also not fond of how cramped the new version looks. You've always been able to minimise the album art and the playlist scrollymajig, but you can't seem to do the same for the top or bottom, or for the album art on an album page.

Also, when did they can Unlimited? I guess I've still got it, but it's a shame that they no longer offer it to new users. I'd be a bit disappointed if I was forced to upgrade to Premium though it's still a good deal. Not that I minded Free mode all that much, it's just that I thought they were phasing it out at one point.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I don't think I have the latest update to Spotify yet, but I am amazed that they're still pretending most of the Edit menu functions are supposed to do something. I don't know how you gently caress up basic things like copy, paste and select all but they've found a way.

Also: The lack of FLAC support for local files. It's not some obscure format at this point and it can't be that hard to be implement.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
what do you all mean by search playlists? just hit ctrl+f when you have one selected and it pops up the filter box?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Spotify is frustrating cause they do some things so well yet fall flat on their face when it comes to basic necessities of a music app :doh:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

annapacketstormaya posted:

I wish Spotify was just an API that you could hook foobar2000 up to. Sadly, it isn't.

it has one and you can? just need to write a plugin using libspotify

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

inSTAALed posted:

what do you all mean by search playlists? just hit ctrl+f when you have one selected and it pops up the filter box?

That's exactly what they removed.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

cebrail posted:

That's exactly what they removed.

:psyduck:

i guess just do the next best thing. sort the column for whatever you want to search for and start typing it. i usually use my music libraries like that anyway to get to whatever i want to listen to, but i usually just have my 35k song starred playlist shuffled so that is the best way to navigate it while not reducing the pool of songs it is shuffling from.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

inSTAALed posted:

:psyduck:

i guess just do the next best thing. sort the column for whatever you want to search for and start typing it.

They took this out too!

EDIT: On the plus side, I haven't yet had any issues with my search history. For the longest time it had just been forgetting what I'd been searching for, then randomly remembering again a day later.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 10, 2015

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Hedgehog Pie posted:

They took this out too!

EDIT: On the plus side, I haven't yet had any issues with my search history. For the longest time it had just been forgetting what I'd been searching for, then randomly remembering again a day later.

no way.

there is no way you cant hit the b button when sorted by artists to go to the artists that start with b

unless you are talking about the mobile app... please tell me you are talking about the mobile app

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

inSTAALed posted:

no way.

there is no way you cant hit the b button when sorted by artists to go to the artists that start with b

unless you are talking about the mobile app... please tell me you are talking about the mobile app

I sure as hell can't anymore. They said they're "adding" ctrl+F back sometime, but why the gently caress did they take it and minimizing to the icon out in the first place? No one wanted either of those things.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

minimizing what icon?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Minimizing to the notification icon instead of the taskbar icon, it's a small thing that was something I really liked.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

https://www.reddit.com/r/spotify/comments/2y6a68/spotify_update_1011060gc75ebdfd_mega_discussion/cp6mg13

quote:

Apps removed (this is a planned removal and will not be returning)
Activity feed redesigned (now emphasizes social aspects over the music they are listening to)
Closing spotify with the "X" now exits the application
Top Charts has replaced Top Tracks (located in Browse)
CTRL-F No longer works
Playlist dividers gone
Can no longer see list of songs in a folder, only the playlists it contains
Cannot set cache or offline playlists location
Local files can't be dragged directly into playlists to add them to your library
Not all of local tracks show up (people with large local track libraries)
Can't remove local tracks from playlists
Can't edit ID3 tags for local tracks
Clicking song that's playing no longer takes you to the album (for some people)
Notifications on the taskbar icon
Crossfade toggle and adjustment has been further buried under Advanced Settings
Volume normalization broken
Some ads are playing abnormally loud
App is not maximized on launch even if it was on closing.
Some notifications will never go away
Song title and artist no longer appears on the taskbar.
Can't use aero peak to see currently playing track
Saving entire albums to 'My Music' no longer works correctly
Various aspects of the "Sort by..." feature including "date added" for local tracks and "by artists" in playlist view are nonfunctional
Can no longer press first letter of name to skip to that section in the playlist/sorting
Can no longer drop tracks into the playlist view, you must now drag them to the playlist using the left sidebar
Can no longer use "delete" key to remove songs from the play queue
Media buttons no longer work for some users
Can't resize the sorting columns to see the full text.
Track playing won't show on hover view for macs
Apple scripts broken
Some songs wrongly categorized as local files so they become unplayable in the client
No longer able to click currently playing song title to see its position in the playlist
:roflolmao:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I keep threatening to leave, but the time required to switch is pretty large. I might do it this time. :smithicide:

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

quote:

Saving entire albums to 'My Music' no longer works correctly

Does anyone know what this means?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The rear end Stooge posted:

Does anyone know what this means?

When you hit "Save" at the top of an album it won't work sometimes.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I don't understand, they just removed apps? what???

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I can't discover music easily like I could with Spotify, but I think I might just switch to Google Play at this point.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

PaganGoatPants posted:

When you hit "Save" at the top of an album it won't work sometimes.

I've had this problem for a while every now and again. Definitely before this latest release.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I take it the friends list is now mandatory?

Also this smells of the bullshit the SoundCloud mobile app has been pulling lately. It's clear they're trying to steer all users into a particular mode of listening, be it their radio stream or what have you.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

^^^
naw it just looks a little different

Mr E posted:

Minimizing to the notification icon instead of the taskbar icon, it's a small thing that was something I really liked.

ah okay, windows thing.

if spotify is poo poo, what are the alternatives? i tried rdio briefly but it was missing almost everything i listen to.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

if spotify is poo poo, what are the alternatives? i tried rdio briefly but it was missing almost everything i listen to.

I've been doing the Google Play trial and I'm mostly liking it more than Spotify lately. Also nice to upload all my weird rap tapes and punk albums that aren't in the library and have them treated just like any other album.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Google Play is better, made the switch like 6 months ago. Favorite things: can upload your own music (like rap mixtapes [like Couch Life said]) and the web app allows you to rate with 5 stars (not just thumbs up/down). Also I think their explore/follow new music stuff is better. I wish they had smart playlists (Spotify doesn't either).

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Google Play is better, made the switch like 6 months ago. Favorite things: can upload your own music (like rap mixtapes [like Couch Life said]) and the web app allows you to rate with 5 stars (not just thumbs up/down). Also I think their explore/follow new music stuff is better. I wish they had smart playlists (Spotify doesn't either).

I started my trial yesterday, seems great to be able to just upload my AC/DC albums and iTunes library real easily, and I really like their explore features so far too.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

and google play has an iphone app that can download albums and stuff? i listen to music on the train a lot.

err, so i checked google play, and it's got prices per album? is it like an itunes thing?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

and google play has an iphone app that can download albums and stuff? i listen to music on the train a lot.

err, so i checked google play, and it's got prices per album? is it like an itunes thing?

Its called google play music all access.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

They didnt have an app the last time I tried it, but I think they do now?

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Google Play All Access is what you want.

Speaking of which, I switched over to Google Play yesterday and I don't think I'll be looking back. I think it may be the only place on the internet I can find that streams Big Black albums.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I'm going to stay with Spotify for as long as I have my 50% student discount, but I agree that Google Play is better by now. The integration of your own music files is amzing.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Why would google play be better? I thought google play was a "pay by song" service as opposed to a streaming service? Why would that be better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

Why would google play be better? I thought google play was a "pay by song" service as opposed to a streaming service? Why would that be better?

It's a streaming service.

https://play.google.com/about/music/allaccess/#/millions-of-songs

• Locked thread