Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So did this leak or release early or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
No we are just using our imaginations

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

e: Wait, I'm listening to the title track again and I don't hear it anymore. Nevermind.

I really like poo poo In Your Cut. Pistol, though...I'm not sure what the hell to think about that song. Ansel's pretty good too. And fuuuuck, Pups To Dust owns a whole lot. I wish the whole album was more songs like that. Same with Be Brave. God Is An Indian And You're An rear end in a top hat wouldn't have felt out of place at all on Parlour Tricks. The Tortoise And The Tortoise is probably one of the best songs they've done since Moon & Antarctica.

I have a feeling that I'm gonna be selecting certain songs from this album to get synced to my phone so I can listen to them pretty often and then the remaining songs that I don't care about, I'll just never listen to those again. Or very rarely at least.

I gotta listen to the album again to be sure, because the first listen was honestly kind of disorienting. The album's all over the place, with a mix of both some legitimately classic Modest Mouse tunes but also some songs that I'd be perfectly fine with never hearing again.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 8, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

rear end Catchcum posted:

No we are just using our imaginations
hosed up to imagine a good Modest Mouse album.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I should ask again though: where, specifically, are people listening to this?

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I should ask again though: where, specifically, are people listening to this?
my house

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

ive got hot pockets

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Which, coincidentally, is also where Daft Punk is playing.

Also lmao, I just saw someone on Reddit ranked this one higher than Moon & Antarctica. What a loving moron.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
There's a lot of stuff I like on this album, but man I get a viscerally negative reaction when I heard the first few seconds of Pistol. Second time through and I like where it ends up going. Sugar Boats, Ansel, and Wicked Campaign are pretty enjoyable, too.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Chamberk posted:

Wicked Campaign

I hate this song. It's the worst song on the album.

Modest Mike
Oct 23, 2008

Upon your feet you have ten toes, they look just like...
po-ta-toes!
it sounds like a Vampire Weekend song. but i think it's nice.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

On first listen there's 6 or 7 decent tunes with no real heavy hitters but on the plus side there's also nothing as annoying as James Mercer singing. There's still the same post-Moon problem of the albums not really being set or evoking anywhere in particular.

Edit: Nothing too exciting or important on here but poo poo In Your Cut and Tortoise and the Tourist are p. cool. Coyotes and Be Brave are probably the only duds.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 8, 2015

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Wow, this is a really gross album. Way too messy and way too much, but there are some nice tracks. It sort of feels like they were trying to recreate the sound of the early albums but artificially forcing noise means it has none of the charm as when it occurs naturally. All the songs could use a lot of stripping back I think, there is no need for a song with full instrumentation to also have elephants in it, even with the mouse/elephant pun it evokes. As for Pistol, I like it with the caveat that I'm pretty sure its meant to sound like the worst song ever recorded. You don't 'accidentally' record something that sounds like that.

It's going to take a few listens to really know where I stand, which I'm willing to give it, but I don't love it so far.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I don't know yet where I land on the album as a whole, but Sugar Boats is so goddamn good.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I like all of Modest Mouse's stuff, I like their more experimental poo poo, I like their more poppy stuff, I like their old albums and also their previous two albums. I also really like this new album. Modest Mouse is a cool band for cool people.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Guys, this album is pretty good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Honest to God, I was honest as hell. I don't lie very often, but I lie very well.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Has anyone ever tried to compile MM's backcatalog? Because it's huge and most of their best stuff is either on their EPs or backcatalog.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Um, yeah. We're called fans.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

Has anyone ever tried to compile MM's backcatalog? Because it's huge and most of their best stuff is either on their EPs or backcatalog.
I've never heard a Modest Mouse track before Float On, and that includes Horn Intro and The World At Large. I always just skip those two tracks.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

And it's really hard to avoid Horn Intro since it's only like 5 seconds long, but I've managed it!

Modest Mike
Oct 23, 2008

po-ta-toes!

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

They have like 6 albums and 3EPs, there's some hidden gems around the corners but it's not really that hard..?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If you pick up their albums, their three long EPs (Building, Everywhere, No One) you'd only be missing a couple worthwhile songs. Off the top of my head all I can think of is Karma Payment, but I know there's more.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Just finished it. Definitely their best album since The Moon And Antarctica. I agree that it's rather overproduced and would've benefited from sounding more lo-fi in the vein of The Lonesome Crowded West (especially on God Is An Indian, of which a more lo-fi version would've fit perfectly into LCW), but I suppose if this album's successful it'll make radio exposure much easier. Wasn't keen on Ansel or Be Brave at all, and the shoegazey guitar in Of Course We Know seemed a bit off, but everything from The Ground Walks, With Time In A Box to Sugar Boats is incredible, and The Tortoise and the Tourist is also wonderful. Great album, anyway.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you pick up their albums, their three long EPs (Building, Everywhere, No One) you'd only be missing a couple worthwhile songs. Off the top of my head all I can think of is Karma Payment, but I know there's more.

Karma Payment's on the Fruit That Ate Itself EP, which is just as big as the three you mentioned.

Two tracks that don't show up anywhere except on some of the very small vinyl EP's or whatever are Edit the Sad Parts and White Lies Yellow Teeth. There's also a whole second Ugly Casanova album that was released as a documentary soundtrack, but it's nothing to scream about.

Modest Mike
Oct 23, 2008

po-ta-toes!
Whenever You See Fit is also a must have.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
Pistol is the best drat song MM has released in years.

I love Be Brave and Tortoise too and Lampshade is starting to grow on me. Can't stand Sugar Boats or Coyotes but all in all this is a very good album.

I agree that a lo-fi version of God is an Indian would have been perfect.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Lampshades on Fire and Best Room end too soon. I don't know what could have been done for Best Room aside from maybe a guitar outro like what The Ground Walks had, but all Lampshades needed was one more refrain of "This one's done, so where to now!?" Ending it on that scientists verse just makes it sound premature and pat.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Karma Payment's on the Fruit That Ate Itself EP, which is just as big as the three you mentioned.
Aren't The Fruit That Ate Itself and the old Interstate 8 EP only like four tracks?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Aren't The Fruit That Ate Itself and the old Interstate 8 EP only like four tracks?

Off the top of my head, Fruit has Waydown, Dirty Fingernails, the title track, The House of the Late Scapegoat, Summer, and Karma's Payment. Might be missing one or two.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Modest Mike posted:

They have like 6 albums and 3EPs, there's some hidden gems around the corners but it's not really that hard..?
Oh I'm sorry, I made myself completely misunderstood :downs:. I have all their albums, along with Fruit, Something out of Nothing and Parlor Tricks, but somehow I still occasionally come across great stuff that's not on their main eps or albums. Calculus Man, Beta Carotene, White Lies, etc.
The style of pre-Good News MM finds power in being rambling, incoherent, and lo-fi, so MM's b-sides and raw demos can be just as good as their released material, which can definitely not be said for most bands.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 9, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oxxidation posted:

Off the top of my head, Fruit has Waydown, Dirty Fingernails, the title track, The House of the Late Scapegoat, Summer, and Karma's Payment. Might be missing one or two.
Seriously, The Fruit That Ate Itself has some of MM's best tracks on it. You can't just discount that EP.

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
Brock just needs to pull a Mark Kozelek and strip all this poo poo down and find that vulnerable core he was in touch with back when he was angsty and emotional. Styrofoam Boots, but an entire album.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

modestmusashi posted:

Brock just needs to pull a Mark Kozelek and strip all this poo poo down and find that vulnerable core he was in touch with back when he was angsty and emotional. Styrofoam Boots, but an entire album.
Ah yes, angsty and emotional song Styrofoam Boots, preceded on the album by cheerful banjo ditty Bankrupt on Selling.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
The only good Modest Mouse song is Crazy Gnome

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
From like every music outlet on the planet but Pitchfork in particular:

quote:

Modest Mouse will release Strangers to Ourselves, their first new studio album since 2007, on March 17. But the band is apparently already at work on a follow up, as singer Isaac Brock revealed in an interview with HMV (via Stereogum). "I’m pretty far along with the next one as it is," he said in a published excerpt. "I went in to making this one with two records in mind."

ALL MY BIRTHDAYS ARE HERE AT ONCE

Modest Mike
Oct 23, 2008

po-ta-toes!

Oxxidation posted:

I'm not getting my hopes up after this last 8 year wait.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

You forgot this bit:

quote:

The second album will be titled "Strangerer to Ourselves," sources close to Brock confirmed. No release date has been announced.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Is nobody gonna talk about Strangers to Ourselves being released on spotify?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

FactsAreUseless posted:

You forgot this bit:

Hahahaha. No loving way? I'm sorry but that sounds like something Trent Reznor would have called the remix album of Strangers to Ourselves.

Anyway, what's the consensus? Better than Good News.... or When The Ship....?

• Locked thread