Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Danith posted:

I talked to the director and he agrees that I need a raise and is going to talk to the CTO this week about it. He also says I need to pick a new title. What's a good title for someone that does a bit of everything? I will be watching our scheduler software, scheduling new jobs, misc production stuff like submitting reports and running eligibility process, help desk and AIX admin with some oracle things included...

Current my title is Production Support. Pretty sure the title thing is because for HR, title = pay.. He said he doesn't care what it is though so maybe I should just say CSO or something :)

Scapegoat or Sr. Scapegoat because EVERYTHING will be your fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
edit: blorp

icehewk fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 17, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Day 1 at new job. Everyone is smart, laid back, and interested in getting things done. Complete 180 from the government.

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.
So a few years ago I wrote into this thread I think. Or at least the last version. I had gotten a desktop job and it paid about $11/hour till I went full time. Many of you told me to get out. I had come from a call center job that was $13/hour and even though it was more work I thought it was worth the experience. After a year my contract got bought out. The new company was offering us $11/hour on 1099. So salary and hourly at the same time. I got pissed and started negotiating furiously. I asked for $45/hour on 1099 or $20/hour on W2. In reality I didn't care the job was starting to get to me. My boss moved to a different city and was trying to micromanage over email and the I was supporting 3 teams. Eventually they gave me $31500/year plus benefits including profit sharing and they gave me a smaller building and a coworker. I was also the only low level employee to be hired on a non temporary basis. Something that freaked me out later when we went to a benefits meeting and found myself among IT management.

So fast forward to late last year and they fired me with a months notice. No reason just gently caress you and get out. Getting work so close to Christmas was lovely. So no money, no trips, very little Christmas cheer. I hated the job, but goddamn it was all I had. My wife had just had our first born and here I was having to budget heavily his first Christmas. Getting any kind of work in a college town sucks. There is always some wide eyed kid willing to do more for less money. So many drat interviews. So very little money. Average was about $13.50. Call centers could do $15. I even applied to Dell Help Desk who offered $10. They said I was over qualified. So many disappointments. Mid February as I started looking at retail, I got a call. 7 Month contract but she swore it could lead to a full time position, $25/hour gently caress yeah. :yotj:

So now I am hear and feel like I am way in over my head. It's for the Transit Authority. So government job. Most of the users are baby boomers. I could like it here, but I feel like I am in way over my head. The IT group isn't very big so we touch on everything. I am doing things that I had never thought about before. In my old job everything was compartmentalized, you stayed in your box and didn't venture out of it. I even ended up moving old server gear. I hope I don't gently caress this up. Sorry for the :words: Thanks IT thread.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I wouldn't sweat it if you are out of your comfort zone. Just use the opportunity to learn whatever you can. Just don't stick around too long once you are comfortable there because you might miss out on building your career.

I spent too long at one job, and it took them firing me to really get the fire going to find something else. I knew I was unhappy there and they treated employees like crap, but I was making enough to pay the bills with some leftover and inertia like that can keep some people there longer than they should be.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Being out of your comfort zone can be a good opportunity to learn new skills if they can tolerate your learning curve. Most of my learning has been when I had to stretch.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

KillHour posted:

Sounds like he made the right move.

Pretty much what I was thinking, maybe it's time to start looking for new spots more aggressively. :shrug:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

From the sounds of it, if you don't step out of your comfort zone and start looking for more challenging gigs, you're going to be forever stuck at that salary range / lovely types of jobs. Maybe you should focus on some certs?

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

From the sounds of it, if you don't step out of your comfort zone and start looking for more challenging gigs, you're going to be forever stuck at that salary range / lovely types of jobs. Maybe you should focus on some certs?

Working on some. I am just trying to find out what to focus on. Also anyone know how to deal with coworker who are stereotypes of IT workers on a bad sitcom?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Tech these days is moving so rapidly that if you ever feel completely comfortable with a technology, it's probably obsolete. At best, your knowledge is a few versions behind.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I think we had this discussion not too long ago but the overwhelming opinion was to never apply for a job where you meet all qualifications.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Do any of you belong to a professional organization that you would recommend to other IT people?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

ElGroucho posted:

Do any of you belong to a professional organization that you would recommend to other IT people?

AA

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I think I'm burning out on DoD contracting. Working with these people, the mountains of red tape and incompetent civilians is starting to wear me down. The pay is good but I am not challenged in any way whatsoever. Might be time to YOTJ this year.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

GOOCHY posted:

I think I'm burning out on DoD contracting. Working with these people, the mountains of red tape and incompetent civilians is starting to wear me down. The pay is good but I am not challenged in any way whatsoever. Might be time to YOTJ this year.

One of us! One of us!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Seriously, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3375646&userid=77012

Edit: In the past week I've found out that my director has fallen out of favor and my VP is working on a "significant" reorg. Fun times.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 9, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tomapot posted:

Seriously, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3375646&userid=77012

Edit: In the past week I've found out that my director has fallen out of favor and my VP is working on a "significant" reorg. Fun times.

Good for you! You're no longer an asset. Now you're a PAWN.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GOOCHY posted:

Join a VAR and sell poo poo to those same idiots, brother. Today was my very first day and by the end I had an ID card, a laptop, all of the accounts I needed, and was already working on a project. All of that stuff probably would've taken a month in the fed space.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Danith posted:

I need to pick a new title. What's a good title for someone that does a bit of everything?

I asked this same thing here a year ago, and settled on Lead Systems Engineer (even though I had no one under me so not much leading). I carried the title to my new job which is a call center where the sales people sell to IT directors and CTOs all day. The first time I did a company-wide email blast with my signature all the sales kids were like "holy poo poo you're a Lead Systems Engineer!?" And I'm all like :whatup:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

flosofl posted:

Good for you! You're no longer an asset. Now you're a PAWN.

I'm no pawn, I'm a resource. Good news is I've know the VP (before he was a VP) for much longer than this director, might be a chance to move up a notch.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Drunk Orc posted:

Pretty much what I was thinking, maybe it's time to start looking for new spots more aggressively. :shrug:

At least you're not commission like me. Why did I ever go into sales? :shepicide:

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

KillHour posted:

At least you're not commission like me. Why did I ever go into sales? :shepicide:

I could never do it, but I bet the money is good most of the time! The couple certs I've earned in the past few months are getting me a good amount of calls back (compared to when I had none) from apps I put in less than 24 hours ago so I guess that's a good sign.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

KillHour posted:

Are you straight sales or pre-sales engineering?

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Zero VGS posted:

I asked this same thing here a year ago, and settled on Lead Systems Engineer (even though I had no one under me so not much leading). I carried the title to my new job which is a call center where the sales people sell to IT directors and CTOs all day. The first time I did a company-wide email blast with my signature all the sales kids were like "holy poo poo you're a Lead Systems Engineer!?" And I'm all like :whatup:

That might not cut it. I heard the windows system administrators may get mad at me if I pick a systems admin title :downs:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Danith posted:

That might not cut it. I heard the windows system administrators may get mad at me if I pick a systems admin title :downs:

Sounds like the best reason yet to proceed with this plan :getin:

J
Jun 10, 2001

KillHour posted:

So you can claim all the credit for the company's success when things are going well, and throw everyone else under the bus when they aren't. Duh!

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Drunk Orc posted:

Was just notified that another tech got a new job he will be leaving for on Friday, and that I get to drive between two buildings daily now to do both our jobs for the same pay until he is replaced. :eng99:

Just make sure if you're using your own car you can expense the mileage.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Just make sure if you're using your own car you can expense the mileage.
If you're reimbursed less than the IRS standard rate (i.e. they cover your gas expenses, but not vehicle wear-and-tear), remember that you can also claim the difference on your taxes.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Yeah they do reimburse, not sure how much, apparently they want me to do two days a week at one building and three at the other. Now I'm worried that a ton of issues at one building will pop up on a day I'm at the other, and teachers are going to get pissed because they have to essentially wait an entire day before anyone even looks at their issue, unless it's something I can resolve remotely.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Drunk Orc posted:

Yeah they do reimburse, not sure how much, apparently they want me to do two days a week at one building and three at the other. Now I'm worried that a ton of issues at one building will pop up on a day I'm at the other, and teachers are going to get pissed because they have to essentially wait an entire day before anyone even looks at their issue, unless it's something I can resolve remotely.
You clearly want to do a good job, and that's awesome, but don't sweat customer service problems that result from decisions above your pay grade. Let the decision-makers make decisions, and if people have complaints, refer them to the appropriate person to take those complaints.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Speaking of, do I get to claim part of my car on taxes (not mileage, but the actual car itself) even if I'm reimbursed for mileage?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

No, IRS standard mileage is above the standard gas per mile rate to cover things like maintenance and wear and tear depreciation.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

psydude posted:

Speaking of, do I get to claim part of my car on taxes (not mileage, but the actual car itself) even if I'm reimbursed for mileage?
You have two methods available for claiming deductions: the standard mileage rate or the actual expense method. The standard mileage rate is a certain number of cents per mile (56 cents per mile for 2014), regardless of the actual expenses incurred. Actual expenses are, as the name implies, aggregated individual expenses occurring over the lifetime of the vehicle: things like oil changes, tires, repairs, and depreciation. If your calculated actual expenses exceed the amount you've been reimbursed for your mileage, say, because you drive a very expensive personal vehicle or one that requires an inordinate amount of wear-and-tear-related repair work for some other reason, you have the option of completing a form 2106 rather than using the IRS standard rate. You can use both methods for different periods in the same year, but there are additional rules surrounding how you're allowed to do this.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

No, IRS standard mileage is above the standard gas per mile rate to cover things like maintenance and wear and tear depreciation.
The IRS standard mileage is for if you take the tax deduction. If you're reimbursed, you may or may not be entitled to additional deductions depending on whether the reimbursement is considered an accountable plan by the IRS. It's generally considered an accountable plan if the reimbursement does not appear as income on your W-2.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 10, 2015

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Hello Friend,

I am a random recruiter from a random recruiting firm, an IT consulting solutions provider, focusing on a random IT space.

I found your resume on random site and we have an amazing consulting opportunity with random company that might be a perfect fit for you.

Please reply to this email with the below details and updated resume, if you are interested in discussing the following job opening!

Contact Number –
Rate per hour -
Last 4 Digits of SSN and Date & Month of Birth (these details are kept confidential and are used only for avoiding double submissions) -

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Misogynist posted:

You clearly want to do a good job, and that's awesome, but don't sweat customer service problems that result from decisions above your pay grade. Let the decision-makers make decisions, and if people have complaints, refer them to the appropriate person to take those complaints.

The problem is that at my company the people who are responsible for the decision insulate themselves with two or three layers of people who can't do anything, so I don't have anybody's number to give.

So, expense chat. If I had $1200 of work done on my car while I was using the vehicle as a work vehicle, does that mean I can claim that instead of the 13c/mile that my company isn't paying me? I'm probably going to ask the same thing in the taxes megathread, and see if I can talk to my dad's accountant about that as well. I'll take a $1200 deduction over a $250 deduction any day.

Or wait, I had that work done this year. So I'd have to wait for next year's taxes for that, wouldn't I?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Are you straight sales or pre-sales engineering?

Both! Our company is too small for dedicated sales engineers, so I get to try to find new customers and then hold their hand designing the project while they complain about how everything should be free.

Also, I'm 100% commission. Because I'm loving stupid.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The problem is that at my company the people who are responsible for the decision insulate themselves with two or three layers of people who can't do anything, so I don't have anybody's number to give.
Presumably you're managed by somebody. That's the number you give.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So, expense chat. If I had $1200 of work done on my car while I was using the vehicle as a work vehicle, does that mean I can claim that instead of the 13c/mile that my company isn't paying me? I'm probably going to ask the same thing in the taxes megathread, and see if I can talk to my dad's accountant about that as well. I'll take a $1200 deduction over a $250 deduction any day.

Or wait, I had that work done this year. So I'd have to wait for next year's taxes for that, wouldn't I?
I believe it means you can claim that times the percentage of miles driven as a work vehicle, but unless you have enough itemized deductions to go beyond the standard deduction, either of these is a moot point. For a single person, you typically need to either own a home or have significant charitable contributions to go over the $6,200 minimum.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Some shitlord sales guy keeps calling me and leaving the worst voice mails ever. "Hey Docjowles, this is Joe with <some company I have never heard of>. I'm calling back about <some product I have never heard of>. Let me know when we can talk. Thanks."

I have no idea who the gently caress you are, who your company is, or what you sell. I have never spoken with you before. Don't leave me a voice mail like I owe you something. We haven't even spoken directly and you've already set the chance that I ever buy something from your company to zero. Great job :downs:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I hate "Buddy" salesmen so goddamn much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Voicemail is the worst.