Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bit with Ennis on Section 8 + solicitation
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/09/get-ready-return-one-worst-superteams-ever-dcs-section-eight

quote:

DC’s Hitman, created by Garth Ennis and John McCrea (of Preacher fame), is a ’90s cult classic. It’s the story of Tommy Monaghan, a superpowered contract killer who specializes in taking out superhumans (and barely using his own superpowers)—and it was a no-holds-barred playground for Ennis and McCrea, showcasing their trademark black humor and biting satire.

Hitman ended in 2001; outside of the odd special or two (like 2007’s JLA/Hitman crossover), the book’s setting and characters haven’t gotten much attention lately. But as many fans noticed when DC announced an exciting, diverse wave of 25 new books slated to debut in June, one of the surprising gems tucked away in the announcement was a book called Section Eight by Garth Ennis and John McCrea—and today, EW has the exclusive first details on the acclaimed team’s return to the DCU.

As Hitman fans already know, Section Eight is the name of the satirical superteam that first appeared in Hitman #18. They’re a motley crew of delusional washups with terrible superpowers, such as grotesque drunkenness and “the power of Frenchness.” Most of them died. So what’s this new Section Eight going to be about?

“Essentially, through circumstances revealed during the first episode, team leader Sixpack returns to Gotham City and sets about reforming Section Eight,” says writer Garth Ennis. “The appalling Bueno Excellente is still around, and Dogwelder manages a mysterious reappearance. Demon barman Baytor is also drafted in. Three new characters qualify for the team—Powertool, Guts and the Grapplah—but that’s only seven. The story essentially involves Sixpack making his way round the DC Universe, trying to sign up that elusive eighth hero. Clearly there’s no shortage of candidates keen to avoid the job.”

Ennis notes that, despite the team’s strong connection to Tommy Monaghan, he won’t be appearing outside of “a very brief flashback appearance in the prologue.” We will, however, be seeing a number of characters from across the established DCU as Sixpack seeks to recruit his eighth teammate, even taking a tour of DC’s mystical realms.

It has been a while since readers have had the chance to revisit the Hitman/Section Eight corner of the DC Universe, but it’s Ennis and McCrea’s intent to make the new book—which will be a six-issue miniseries—reminiscent of everything fans loved about Hitman.

“I suppose we’ll find out soon enough if this is the perfect time for Section Eight to return or not, but I like to think the team will remain true to themselves,” says Ennis. “Obviously there are several new characters, but the tone of the book will be very much in keeping with Section Eight’s previous adventures.”

Section 8 #1 goes on sale June 10, 2015. Your first look at the cover is below, along with the official hype copy:

SECTION 8 #1

Written by GARTH ENNIS

Art by JOHN McCREA

Cover by AMANDA CONNER

1:25 Variant cover by JOHN McCREA

On sale JUNE 10 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 6, $2.99 US • RATED T+

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.

The greatest super heroes of all time, unseen since the end of the hit series HITMAN, have returned for the greatest super hero story ever told!

Befuddled hero Sixpack returns to Gotham City, desperate to rebuild the all-star team known as Section Eight in the face of a deadly threat. He gathers old friends Bueno Excellente, Baytor and the seemingly reborn Dogwelder, along with some new faces—but he still needs that elusive eighth member. And that’s when the Dark Knight Detective gets an offer he can’t refuse in part one of this unforgettable six-issue miniseries.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There it is. The first solicit for what will be one of the worst comics ever. This moment is historic.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is Batman coming back with a ribbed costume?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It's the year 2015, somebody really, really should have vetoed bringing back Bueno Excellente, the Rape Joke That Walked.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Archyduke posted:

It's the year 2015, somebody really, really should have vetoed bringing back Bueno Excellente, the Rape Joke That Walked.

Of all the members of S8 that Ennis should have killed off, it should have been him. But it was a different time and rape jokes were considered high comedy then.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

If they can get gold-armed Arsenal wielding his dead cat as the 8th member, then maybe it'll be in the running for worst. Or best.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

WickedHate posted:

There it is. The first solicit for what will be one of the worst comics ever. This moment is historic.

What are you talking about? This isn't the solicit for the Red Hood / Arsenal series! :v:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ImpAtom posted:

Did anything remotely good come out of Identity Crisis? A single thing?

Even the potentially good things like Ralph & Sue: Deadman Detectives didn't last.

While it didn't lead to anything, I always liked that scene in 52 where Ralph turned into the Spectre and tried to punish Jean Loring by making her rewatch the murder and Jean begged him to stop for his sake. That was heartbreaking.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ImpAtom posted:

Did anything remotely good come out of Identity Crisis? A single thing?
The creation of BSS?

No, wait, forget I said that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The creation of BSS?

No, wait, forget I said that.

I like BSS! It's like, 75% why I got an SA account.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is Batman coming back with a ribbed costume?

For your pleasure.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Big ol' Flash sale.
https://www.comixology.com/Flash-500-Sale/page/5678?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Toph Bei Fong posted:

If they can get gold-armed Arsenal wielding his dead cat as the 8th member, then maybe it'll be in the running for worst. Or best.

Sadly Ennis is probably out of the loop of contemporary superheroics, so he is not aware of all the shameful poo poo that happened in DC.
He has quite some experience writing gently caress-ups whose names begin with "arse"...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WickedHate posted:

I like BSS! It's like, 75% why I got an SA account.
Identity Crisis is a monster.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
DiDio and Lee saying literally all of the right things.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Genetic Toaster posted:

What are you talking about? This isn't the solicit for the Red Hood / Arsenal series! :v:

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #1
Written by DARK_TZITZIMINE
Art by DARK_TZITZIMINE
Cover by DARK_TZITZIMINE
1:25 Variant cover by DARK_TZITZIMINE

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

So I can read Red Hood/ Arsenal without worrying about being derailed by whatever Snyder is doing over Batman?

Sign me the gently caress up.

All in all, June is gonna be fantastic for DC.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

All in all, June is gonna be fantastic for DC.

It's really wonderful what a turn around it seems to be. I'm happy for DC.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Brocktoon posted:

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #1
Written by DARK_TZITZIMINE
Art by DARK_TZITZIMINE
Cover by DARK_TZITZIMINE
1:25 Variant cover by DARK_TZITZIMINE
Red Hood and the Outlaws are all now anime women with giant breasts.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
First June Solicits

Justice Society, JL, Sinestro, Aquaman and GL: Lost Army

Aquaman is by far the less interesting of the bunch, Cullen has been solid on Sinestro so I'm willing to give a shot to Lost Army, JS and JL sounds amazing.

Just look how badass Hal looks :allears:

New E2 Batman by the way.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Just look how badass generic as gently caress Hal everyone looks

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Darkseid War seems like it might be alright, but Hal is still a huge barriar to my enjoyment of Justice League. Dude is just bland as hell. Kyle and John are the only decent GLs.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Hal has been the best Lantern for at least 5 years now. He's an idiot cowboy and that schtick works perfectly when writers acknowledge that he's an anachronistic dumbass instead of lionizing him.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Aquaman #41: [generic_ad_copy.txt]

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Gene Luen Yang talks Superman

Superman # 41
Written by Gene Luen Yang
Art and cover by John Romita Jr. and Klaus Janson
The Joker variant cover by Karl Kerschl
On sale June 24 • 32 pages, FC, $3.99 U.S. • Rated T
The epic new story line “TRUTH” continues with the debut of the amazing new creative team of new writer Gene Luen Yang ("American Born Chinese") and continuing artists John Romita Jr. and Klaus Janson! What will happen when the big secret is revealed?

Guess shaking the status quo is the trend.

Oh, and it seems June will be the Joker variant month.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Awesome, he actually looks like SuperMAN in that cover, and not Supercollegehipster.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Ming Doyle and Tynion talk about Constantine

Not really liking their ideas, but then again, I'm biased against Tynion.

And Batman Beyond Solicit

BATMAN BEYOND #1
Written by DAN JURGENS
Art and cover by BERNARD CHANG
1:25 Variant cover by KALMAN ANDRASOFSKY
On sale JUNE 3 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
At last, Batman Beyond gets his own ongoing series in THE definitive future of the DCU! But this isn’t the Beyond you think you know! With the Justice League missing and without Bruce to guide him, this new Batman will need to explore this bizarre world on his own while fighting to raise humanity from an opponent that’s already won.
The heroes Batman knew have failed, the world he knew has been turned on its head, and every step he takes will lead him either toward finding home – or further down the road of disaster!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Jim Lee posted:

Rather than having 52 books all in the same continuity, and really focusing on keeping a universe that's tightly connected and has super-internal consistency, and really one flavor, we've really broken it up.
I get what he's trying to say but, all the same, this is vastly exaggerating how consistent Nu52 continuity was. :xd:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Beyond's solicit worries me. It sounds like they don't know what the actual appeal of the character is, and just think they can slap the costume on any character and any setting and it'll work.

The Superman one sounds a lot like Yuen's doing the outing story. Which is interesting. There's been stories where Clark's been Superman full-time, but I don't think they've ever really done the 'whole world knows his identity' thing.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Batman Beyond has been confirmed as Terry if there was some concern here.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

WickedHate posted:

Awesome, he actually looks like SuperMAN in that cover, and not Supercollegehipster.

Wow, I actually think he looks more hipster than ever on that cover.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Can Superman have his spitcurl back again?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

BATMAN BEYOND #1
Written by DAN JURGENS
Art and cover by BERNARD CHANG
1:25 Variant cover by KALMAN ANDRASOFSKY
On sale JUNE 3 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
At last, Batman Beyond gets his own ongoing series in THE definitive future of the DCU! But this isn’t the Beyond you think you know! With the Justice League missing and without Bruce to guide him, this new Batman will need to explore this bizarre world on his own while fighting to raise humanity from an opponent that’s already won.
The heroes Batman knew have failed, the world he knew has been turned on its head, and every step he takes will lead him either toward finding home – or further down the road of disaster!

Oh good, glad to see a Batman Beyond comic featuring zero of the appeal of the actual source material, just what I wanted.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

TwoPair posted:

Oh good, glad to see a Batman Beyond comic featuring zero of the appeal of the actual source material, just what I wanted.

And written like it's loving 1987 to boot!

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I'm sure this is for sure the true, definitive future, at last. Not like Legion of Super-Heroes. Or Justice League 3000. Or Future's End. THIS time, we swear!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They're probably going HEY GUYS! because they were previously publishing the Beyond universe digital shorts during N52 time without establishing them in continuity (right? I dunno.)

Anyone want to pick up a Jurgens comic these days anyway? Who cares.

e: EVERYONE BUY ACTION COMICS #40

ee: Midnighter interview http://www.comicvine.com/articles/interview-steve-orlando-is-ready-to-bring-midnight/1100-151613/
Conner, Palmiotti, Hardin Harley Quinn/Power Girl/Starfire interview http://www.comicvine.com/articles/interview-amanda-conner-jimmy-palmiotti-and-chad-h/1100-151614/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 11, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Wait, so they introduced Bizarro World? Bizarro's back, and he's not that terrible clone character from Forever Evil? Nice.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
RIP super-beard

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

WickedHate posted:

There it is. The first solicit for what will be one of the best comics ever. This moment will never be forgotten.

Fixed. Too bad they lost JeanJean deBaton, guess a walking French caricature would have probably killed Canadian sales. :v:

Also, Doomzarro is doing exactly what he should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Whoah, plenty of solicits

BAT-MITE #1

Written by DAN JURGENS
Art and cover by CORIN HOWELL
1:25 Variant cover by CORIN HOWELL
On sale JUNE 3 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 6, $2.99 US • RATED E

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

Bat-Mite is here to fix the DC Universe – one hero at a time! Convinced that he’s the imp that put Batman on the map, he’s spreading his expertise all over the DC Universe, eager to boost the careers of heroes he thinks need his “help.” Don’t miss the start of this six-issue all-ages miniseries!

BIZARRO #1

Written by HEATH CORSON
Art and cover by GUSTAVO DUARTE
1:25 Variant cover by KYLE BAKER
On sale JUNE 3 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 6, $2.99 US • RATED E

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

“Hate HARLEY QUINN? Then you will super hate BIZARRO! Bizarro star of worstest comic ever! Go ahead and miss it! If there’s one thing this issue not have it these two things: Jimmy Olsen and Chupacabras!” Don’t miss the start of this six-issue all-ages miniseries!

DOOMED #1

Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art and cover by JAVIER FERNANDEZ
1:25 Variant cover by KEN LASHLEY
On sale JUNE 17 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

In this startling new series, a Metropolis U student gains the power to transform into the monstrously powerful Doomsday! The power may be the key to fixing his life, but every time he transforms he risks getting stuck forever as Superman’s most heinous adversary! How far can he go before he’s doomed?

DR. FATE #1

Written by PAUL LEVITZ
Art and cover by SONNY LIEW
1:25 Variant cover by IBRAHIM MOUSTAFA
On sale JUNE 17 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

You thought global warming was bad? Anubis, the Egyptian Lord of Dead, is preparing the flood to wash the world away. Standing in his way? An overwhelmed Brooklyn med student who’s been handed the helmet of Fate, without an instruction manual.

PREZ #1

Written by MARK RUSSELL
Art and cover by BEN CALDWELL
1:25 Variant cover by BRET BLEVINS
On sale JUNE 17 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 12, $2.99 US • RATED T

Meet Beth Ross, the first teenaged President of the United States. In a nation where corporations can run for office, the poor are used as human billboards, and tacos are delivered by drone, our only hope is this nineteen-year-old Twitter sensation. But the real question isn’t whether she’s ready for politics – it’s whether politics is ready for her. Don’t miss the start of this new, 12-issue miniseries!

And of course

RED HOOD/ARSENAL #1

Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art by DENIS MEDRI
Cover by HOWARD PORTER
1:25 Variant cover by KENNETH ROCAFORT
On sale JUNE 10 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

These brothers in arms face off against incredible odds while burning their way through the underbelly of the DC Universe – and it’s only a matter of time until they get gunned down in return!

Totally on board for Bat-mite, weary of Bizarro (I don't like Harley Quinn). Doomed and Dr. Fate have piqued my interest, they could be fantastic if well handled.

Ambivalent towards Prez and RH/Arsenal sounds perfect. Funny that Jason's new costume is so similar to his Arkham Knight's duds.

The link has other solicits for MM, JL3001, Omega Men and Damian, Son of Batman.

Omega Men solicit claims that they killed Kyle while Booster, BB and Hal are missing from JL3001's cover.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 11, 2015

• Locked thread