Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So over the past week a random recruiter keeps forwarding replies he is getting from applicants to my personal email account. So far there have been 48 in total. These are replies where someone is asking for more info and passing their personal contact info. I sent an email to him letting him know the issue and he replied back.

quote:

Sorry, Thanks for your eMail, This is software error. Please ignore. I am going to fix it right away.

Thanks for your eMail.

The strange thing is that they have started up again. What kind of software could this even be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Docjowles posted:

Some shitlord sales guy keeps calling me and leaving the worst voice mails ever. "Hey Docjowles, this is Joe with <some company I have never heard of>. I'm calling back about <some product I have never heard of>. Let me know when we can talk. Thanks."

I have no idea who the gently caress you are, who your company is, or what you sell. I have never spoken with you before. Don't leave me a voice mail like I owe you something. We haven't even spoken directly and you've already set the chance that I ever buy something from your company to zero. Great job :downs:

I get the "when can we follow up with a meeting" emails ALL THE loving time. He also uses a trick like putting a date in the subject "per our convo on 3/8/2015". You bitch, you're referring to the last time you sent me a cold sales email. THAT'S NOT A CONVERSATION.

Fortunately, my number has been hoarded like a miser and if I'm asking for a sales or pre-sales engineer to contact me, I still make them call the switch-board and ask to connect to me. I HATE that I have to do it, but willful sharing of contact lists has forced my hand.

Sickening posted:

So over the past week a random recruiter keeps forwarding replies he is getting from applicants to my personal email account. So far there have been 48 in total. These are replies where someone is asking for more info and passing their personal contact info. I sent an email to him letting him know the issue and he replied back.

The strange thing is that they have started up again. What kind of software could this even be?

Probably some contact raping, poo poo auto-mailer that he got from an ad in the back of a trade magazine.

Wow. I'm in a bad mood today.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Docjowles posted:

Some shitlord sales guy keeps calling me and leaving the worst voice mails ever. "Hey Docjowles, this is Joe with <some company I have never heard of>. I'm calling back about <some product I have never heard of>. Let me know when we can talk. Thanks."

I have no idea who the gently caress you are, who your company is, or what you sell. I have never spoken with you before. Don't leave me a voice mail like I owe you something. We haven't even spoken directly and you've already set the chance that I ever buy something from your company to zero. Great job :downs:

They're banking on you being too busy to remember that you've never talked before. You'd be surprised how much this works. The salesmen that REALLY know what they're doing don't leave voicemails at all, though. They pull the "buddy" schtick with the secretary to get your extension and then keep calling over and over till they get you in person.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sickening posted:

User error

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

flosofl posted:

I get the "when can we follow up with a meeting" emails ALL THE loving time. He also uses a trick like putting a date in the subject "per our convo on 3/8/2015". You bitch, you're referring to the last time you sent me a cold sales email. THAT'S NOT A CONVERSATION.

I've got a guy from MaaS360 who just wont FUUUUUCK OOOOOOFF, every time he's called in is just "No nothings happened yet and likely not for a good while, when management gives the go ahead for purchase I'll call you up", short of straight up telling them we're tight fisted bastards there's not much that deters them.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

KillHour posted:

Both! Our company is too small for dedicated sales engineers, so I get to try to find new customers and then hold their hand designing the project while they complain about how everything should be free.

:confused:

Did you change jobs? I thought you worked for <giant wholesaler/distributor> in their consulting arm.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Potato Alley posted:

:confused:

Did you change jobs? I thought you worked for <giant wholesaler/distributor> in their consulting arm.

Yeah, about a year ago. My current boss called in as a customer and just so happened to get me on the phone. Towards the end of the call, he invited me out to coffee and sold me on a job. I guess that makes him a better salesman than me. :v:

I literally went from Fortune 100 to a 10 man shop in one fell swoop. Neither is all it's cracked up to be.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 11, 2015

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Is this the thread for being the family computer guy? In laws laptop was on Firefox 10.0.2 and has aol dashboard installed. They pay for a monthly tuneup service. Help.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Docjowles posted:

Please update when you are ready to move forward.

Bigass Moth posted:

Is this the thread for being the family computer guy? In laws laptop was on Firefox 10.0.2 and has aol dashboard installed. They pay for a monthly tuneup service. Help.

Don't. Unless you want to get cc'd on random emails until the end of time as "our computer expert"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

If you want help with the computer, check out haus of tech support. If you want advice on the best whiskey to help with coping, you're in the right place.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Fool posted:

If you want help with the computer, check out haus of tech support. If you want advice on the best whiskey to help with coping, you're in the right place.

Whiskey time!

These are the three I have in my liquor cabinet ATM:

https://glenmorangie.com/en/glenmorangie-quinta-ruban
http://www.themacallan.com/the-whisky/sherry-oak/sherry-oak-18/
https://www.makersmark.com/

I use the Maker's for cocktails and drink the other two neat.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

KillHour posted:

Whiskey time!

These are the three I have in my liquor cabinet ATM:

https://glenmorangie.com/en/glenmorangie-quinta-ruban
http://www.themacallan.com/the-whisky/sherry-oak/sherry-oak-18/
https://www.makersmark.com/

I use the Maker's for cocktails and drink the other two neat.

I have some 140 proof Elijah Craig because I'm classy like that.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I'm drinking an old fashioned made with bulleit rye right now.

Didn't have to deploy an update because its been pushed back, so drinking time got pushed forward.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
I can't do hard alcohol. I'm more of a beer guy (Yes, I've started drinking again. For now anyway). My brother got me hooked on Altamont Beer Works. Great beer and local. Plus they occasionally have a local BBQ place come by.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The Fool posted:

Old grandad would be appropriate both in whiskey and company. Old crow too.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Anyone have any good resources on using vyatta or vyos?

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

KillHour posted:

Both! Our company is too small for dedicated sales engineers, so I get to try to find new customers and then hold their hand designing the project while they complain about how everything should be free.

Also, I'm 100% commission. Because I'm loving stupid.

It's working for yourself....

Eat what you kill has its benefits

*eats shoe, washes down with drain cleaner*

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Docjowles posted:

Sounds like a place that I went in for an interview with. Basically turned out to be some shark of a web developer with a Glengarry Glen Ross shop cold-calling dozens of small businesses each trying to sell them on his product rather than using wordpress. Except they wouldn't say what company they were with, they believed that the mystery made people more likely to be interested or something. I didn't take the job, I could tell the boss was trouble within about two minutes of going in there.

I live in beer central, USA, so I'm a pretty big beer snob. My town of 100,000 has 13 breweries, not counting Anheuser-Busch, because gently caress them. Extend it to the small towns within 30-40 minutes, it's 23. But one of the breweries stopped making my favorite beer, and I still haven't found a good, chocolatey/coffee-ey black lager since.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

jaegerx posted:

Anyone have any good resources on using vyatta or vyos?
It's pretty easy to pick up if you've ever worked with IOS, JunOS or anything with a similar configuration syntax. I've never read any of the documentation and my config is about as complex as most people will ever need to use. I run an HA pair at SoftLayer if you have any specific questions.

Off the top of my head, the only thing you need to really be aware of is that the defaults for NAT configuration are way too small and will gently caress your whole gateway if you try to run NAT in production without changing them. There's a performance tuning guide somewhere that goes into what you need to increase, but at the very least you need to fix the expect table size.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

KillHour posted:

They're banking on you being too busy to remember that you've never talked before. You'd be surprised how much this works. The salesmen that REALLY know what they're doing don't leave voicemails at all, though. They pull the "buddy" schtick with the secretary to get your extension and then keep calling over and over till they get you in person.
Some fucksticks from EMC pulled this poo poo on me 6 or 7 years back, claiming I had signed up for some product demo during a previous cold call. There were like 4 of them on the phone with a WebEx ready to go.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
This is a ridiculous question in that I dont know what I'm asking, but here goes -

What is an API or RESTful API, when talking about web-based applications. Say for example, an app like Asana.com or even AWS. "API-Driven Cloud Services"

Is there somewhere I can learn to use them? I understand the concept of using curl to send json to a service, but not much more. How do I receive data?

Take this snippit from the Asana docs:
code:
# Request
curl -u <api_key>: [url]https://app.asana.com/api/1.0/users/me[/url]

# Response
HTTP/1.1 200
{"data":{"email":"sanchez@...","id":999,"name":"Greg Sanchez"}}
How do I capture the response?

edit - http://www.sitepoint.com/ruby-net-http-library/ this helped me a lot. I think I'm on track now.

Swink fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 11, 2015

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Misogynist posted:

It's pretty easy to pick up if you've ever worked with IOS, JunOS or anything with a similar configuration syntax. I've never read any of the documentation and my config is about as complex as most people will ever need to use. I run an HA pair at SoftLayer if you have any specific questions.

Off the top of my head, the only thing you need to really be aware of is that the defaults for NAT configuration are way too small and will gently caress your whole gateway if you try to run NAT in production without changing them. There's a performance tuning guide somewhere that goes into what you need to increase, but at the very least you need to fix the expect table size.

Actually running it in SoftLayer is exactly the kind of info I need. I'll pm you questions or you can email me at jaegerx@gmail.com if you don't have pm.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Any thoughts on sending a Linkedin request after a good interview? I had a phone conversation with the director of operations at a place last week, then an in person interview with him and the NOC manager, as well as their VP of Operations yesterday. I'm new to the whole Linkedin thing, but I woke up this morning wondering if that would be a good way to follow up with them. I did some googling, and some places suggested doing it while others were the opposite. This is for a NOC tech job, for reference.

I don't have their individual email addresses, and the director said to stay in touch with the HR person who did the initial contact. I already sent her a thank you email after the interview, requesting that she pass that along to them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

rafikki posted:

Any thoughts on sending a Linkedin request after a good interview? I had a phone conversation with the director of operations at a place last week, then an in person interview with him and the NOC manager, as well as their VP of Operations yesterday. I'm new to the whole Linkedin thing, but I woke up this morning wondering if that would be a good way to follow up with them. I did some googling, and some places suggested doing it while others were the opposite. This is for a NOC tech job, for reference.

I don't have their individual email addresses, and the director said to stay in touch with the HR person who did the initial contact. I already sent her a thank you email after the interview, requesting that she pass that along to them.

I think the thank you email should be enough. Those are pretty normal.

I can only tell as someone who conducts later stage interviews that if I got a LinkedIn request from a candidate I'd think it was weird and kind of stalky and also a checkbox on someone's "How To Land A Job-Guaranteed!" list from some website.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

flosofl posted:

I can only tell as someone who conducts later stage interviews that if I got a LinkedIn request from a candidate I'd think it was weird and kind of stalky and also a checkbox on someone's "How To Land A Job-Guaranteed!" list from some website.

Heh, that's what I was worried about. But since I'm totally inexperienced with Linkedin, I figured I'd ask.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I wouldn't. Especially if they didn't give you their direct contact info.

I can see something like that going over better in a different environment, like sales or something.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Misogynist posted:

Some fucksticks from EMC pulled this poo poo on me 6 or 7 years back, claiming I had signed up for some product demo during a previous cold call. There were like 4 of them on the phone with a WebEx ready to go.

Operating on 60% margins gives you the freedom to do things like this.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I'd hate to be stuck with that awkward interviewed-with-for-a-job-that-I-didn't-get connection

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

flosofl posted:

The candidate I hired for an entry level role impressed me by reading my linkedin profile before our call. She didn't have the email associated with the profile and I had not viewed her yet she had the proactive sense to look me up by first name and company to read about me.

You would think that such a simple thing would be something every candidate would do but no, out of the 40+ I talked to she was the only person try and do any research of our company at all.

As far as adding someone, it would probably be better to only add someone after you meet them.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I'd hate to be stuck with that awkward interviewed-with-for-a-job-that-I-didn't-get connection

Unless you had a really bad interview with some cross words, I don't see how it would make it awkward. Not being someone first choice for a role isn't personal. Besides, its not like you can't remove the connection later if you something happens.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 11, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sickening posted:

The candidate I hired for an entry level role impressed me by reading my linkedin profile before our call. She didn't have the email associated with the profile and I had not viewed her yet she had the proactive sense to look me up by first name and company to read about me.

I am very much cool with that. Researching the company shows initiative and interest in the company. It's the actual request to add before a decision has been made that seems a little off to me.

After the decision making process is done, I have no issue with them sending a request to add me even if a decision was made to go with someone else. A lot of times it's not because I didn't like the person, it's because someone else was a better fit. Not saying I'll accept, but I'm not all "No way!" either.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sickening posted:

Unless you had a really bad interview with some cross words, I don't see how it would make it awkward. Not being someone first choice for a role isn't personal. Besides, its not like you can't remove the connection later if you something happens.

I guess that's true. It's the in-between waiting time that could make it awkward, as flosofl said.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I once contacted a vendor with some questions about their software, and we ended up buying, but I personally wasn't a part of the purchase so I got added to a sales list:

quote:

You have received this message because you are subscribed to 'Non-Purchase Leads'.

Uh, yeah, thanks.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

For God's sake, it's LinkedIn. Who gives a gently caress? If he's the right fit for the job, he'll have it. If he's not, he won't. It's not 'stalky' or 'creepy', it's a professional social network, you both get advantages in having more connections, who cares?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

You're LinkedIn-ing wrong. It's not Facebook, where you are "stuck" with the girl you went out with once that had bad breath.

Business networking is a thing, network and meet everyone you can.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Dark Helmut posted:

You're LinkedIn-ing wrong. It's not Facebook, where you are "stuck" with the girl you went out with once that had bad breath.

Business networking is a thing, network and meet everyone you can.

I do everything wrong :eng99:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
At what point does it become a good idea to :yotj: purely for salary?

I'm a sysadmin making low $80k range in northern NJ. The job isn't bad, the people aren't awful, but the company is really cheap. Our bonus is based on how much business we do and management isn't open to a set of metrics for the small IT department (3 people for a 75-person company) to allow us to show what we contribute. Plus my boss is telling me that he doesn't think anyone (at least in IT) is getting raises this year.

Since I started in December 2013, I got my VCP and almost passed a Citrix cert exam. I've been very good at applying the knowledge I picked up prepping for both, such to the point that I can answer questions that otherwise would eat into block hours we purchased from an outsourced Citrix engineer dude. The VMware knowledge helped us migrate from a Xenserver-based datacenter to a private cloud provider in VMware, and I'm able to handle a lot of tasks that my boss otherwise wouldn't.

Additionally I've covered our helpdesk guy, who has some kind of medical issue where HR is now involved. He's supposedly getting treatment but for all of 2014 I was doing a big chunk of helpdesk tasks since he let them fall through the cracks. I'm told they are aware of this and are watching him very closely.

So given the nickel-and-diming on the bonus and the likelihood of a stagnant salary (I made a lateral move to come here) I'm curious as to the goon IT opinion of whether or not I should be floating my resume out there. I do like the culture around here - relaxed, biz cas, and the main role of the company involves truckers so you can basically walk around cursing up a storm if you had a bad call. It's a very family oriented atmosphere with a lot of long-timers, my boss included. The boss is a decent guy who listens to what I have to say and treats me with respect, it's just that I was counting on the bonus as part of my total compensation package.

I'm thinking about giving it until May to wait and see what happens with salary increases, or maybe trying to put together some kind of quantification for how much I've saved in dollars by being able to do more and more stuff independent of the other guy, and how much I stopped from getting worse when the helpdesk guy didn't touch things.

Thoughts? I had my resume on Dice a few months ago and was getting approached for lateral and vertical moves to a senior sysadmin. I've got 2k3, 2k8, and 2k12 MCSAs, VCP-510, Sec+, and I could probably get the CCA-V with a few more weeks to study and practice. I had a 63%, it was 66% to pass. I think I could easily command up to $90k for a pure lateral move, maybe six figures if I tried to roll the dice on a senior role, especially if it's in Manhattan.

MJP fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 11, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

jaegerx posted:

Actually running it in SoftLayer is exactly the kind of info I need. I'll pm you questions or you can email me at jaegerx@gmail.com if you don't have pm.
A few SoftLayer-specific Vyatta things:

• SoftLayer's Vyatta support is actually really excellent, they know what they're talking about with the OS and are generally keen to give you best-practices information.
  • Use VRRP, not clustering. SoftLayer support doesn't touch it with a ten-foot pole and Vyatta dropped it in the 6.6 release.
  • Adding a VLAN to the gateway through the web portal doesn't always mean it's physically cabled up to where it needs to be. When you add VLANs, submit tickets before you start debugging why certain VLANs aren't passing traffic.
  • No matter what SoftLayer tells you, you cannot upgrade a 1-gig gateway pair to 10-gig. The 1-gig and 10-gig nodes use a completely different chassis (1U vs. 2U) and they're located in different parts of the datacenter. I've been trying to get a cluster upgraded for over two weeks because everyone I talked to has been clueless and made things up, or outright lied to me when I initially configured the device. Save yourself the pain and run 10-gig up front.

Last piece of generic Vyatta advice: there's no real HA for VPN connections and they don't fail over correctly. After a VRRP IP failover, always do a sudo service ipsec restart on your newly-active gateway.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MJP posted:

At what point does it become a good idea to :yotj: purely for salary?

Depends on the % bump. I wouldn't upset the apple cart for 5% but 20%, see ya suckers

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I added some people when I was looking for a job some years back and that is what I ended up with.
The only up side was seeing them change jobs a year later, so maybe it was for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
What do you guys think of doing some part time work as an adjunct professor? I got an email from one of my teachers a while back asking me if I'd be interested.

I think that'd look good on a résumé.