Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
Porsche Club of America is the largest single marquee car club in the US, I know you poors have them. post yours.

2005 987.1 S

1985.5 944

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

2009 997.2 S in green. Traded it in on the gray 2012 997.2 4 GTS behind it.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014
1991 C2

Had the PO randomly call me a few days ago asking if I'd sell it back. For a second I thought about being a dick and asking twice what I paid for it, but even that figure isn't high enough to make me want to part with this thing.

And yes, I know it's dirty as hell, I took it to a DE like three days before and didn't have time (or was too lazy) to clean it, so sue me.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
My next car is going to be a 911.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
What happened to the guy that bought a 996 and fixed all the bs? I miss reading that thread.

I too need a Porsche.

Edit: vvv thank you, I know it wasn't air cooled (I'm trying to recall correctly) but either way it was a cool thread.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 10, 2015

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I remember the guy with a 993, is that maybe what you're thinking of? I think the thread title had something to do with his dad's Porsche, maybe.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

ultimateforce posted:

My next car is going to be a 911.

+1. I don't know if it will be a 964 or a 991 or what, but yes.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Tremek posted:

If you want a 964 you better buy it like, yesterday.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Even the 944s are starting an upward trend in price if they are decent.

Luckily the 924 will never be a desirable car and will remain cheap.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Tremek posted:

I test drove some 991s, but there were some things I didn't like (electric steering, that drat sound symposer, throttle blip on the PDK, aesthetics of the rear end), which is why I went for the 997 GTS instead. They're really nicely balanced though, and I liked the interior a bit better.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I've got a 2007 987.2. It's got wheels. Yaay.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I've got this thing, it fun. I need to sell it to make space and free up fun money.

Been daily driving it lately. Very comfortable and people seem to love seeing an old car like this being driven.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Sigma X posted:

I've got a 2007 987.2. It's got wheels. Yaay.

the 987.2 didnt come out until 2009-2012. 05-08 is the 987.1

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Arione posted:

the 987.2 didnt come out until 2009-2012. 05-08 is the 987.1

Thanks to working 28 hours between Monday and Tuesday, and making that post on about 3.5 hours of sleep. You knew what I meant, though. I have a Cayman. It is yellow. It has a half-dozen problems, half of which are due to Porsche engineering cars to last 5 years and half of which are due to me driving it like racecar. It is decently quick in a straight line and very quick in corners, and a bit boring to drive anywhere except on a track.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 11, 2015

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Sigma X posted:

Thanks to working 28 hours between Monday and Tuesday, and making that post on about 3.5 hours of sleep. You knew what I meant, though. I have a Cayman. It is yellow. It has a half-dozen problems, half of which are due to Porsche engineering cars to last 5 years and half of which are due to me driving it like racecar. It is decently quick in a straight line and very quick in corners, and a bit boring to drive anywhere except on a track.

oh a 987C ? 5 years? something like 80% of cars ever made are still on the road. Sure that gen has an IMS issue but its easily fixable when you do the clutch. I recommend the direct oil feed option. As it turns out the ones driven like race cars have the least problems. Whats the issues with your car?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Arione posted:

oh a 987C ? 5 years? something like 80% of cars ever made are still on the road. Sure that gen has an IMS issue but its easily fixable when you do the clutch. I recommend the direct oil feed option. As it turns out the ones driven like race cars have the least problems. Whats the issues with your car?

I'm talking about incidents like the door handles snapping due to heat fatigue after 6 years, door card seals rotting away after 6 years, dash upholstery fading out after 5 years, stretched shifter cables after 6 years, gas cap retaining leash snapping after 5 years, power steering pump failure, and general non-durability of items not critical to "this car moves". The IMS seal issue, and Porsche's non-acknowledgement of it, is an entire other issue on its own, and one I haven't run into, happily. The engine itself has been worry-free other than the occasional belch of smoke on startup.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and the rubberized coating on the radio and climate control switches coming off like a strippers' clothes at a bachelor party.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Thread title was misleading but don't worry I've got this little thing called the best day of my life to cover for you this time :colbert: (3 laps around Sears Point at the Historics for charity in a '66 906)

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I see why your life is a bitter wreck, you've been chasing the dragon all these years, trying to find a moment better than that

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Sigma X posted:

I'm talking about incidents like the door handles snapping due to heat fatigue after 6 years, door card seals rotting away after 6 years, dash upholstery fading out after 5 years, stretched shifter cables after 6 years, gas cap retaining leash snapping after 5 years, power steering pump failure, and general non-durability of items not critical to "this car moves". The IMS seal issue, and Porsche's non-acknowledgement of it, is an entire other issue on its own, and one I haven't run into, happily. The engine itself has been worry-free other than the occasional belch of smoke on startup.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and the rubberized coating on the radio and climate control switches coming off like a strippers' clothes at a bachelor party.

At least you haven't had the front control module and related issues that I had after I made the mistake of buffing the damned car. It set off a cascade of failing modules and random electrical gremlins--who knew that each door had a control module?

I also had one of the ends of the shifter cable break, and it needed a clutch at 65,000 miles. It looked fantastic, no abuse, but was just worn enough to be out of spec. Right before this, at about 55,000 miles, the transaxle had to be rebuilt because third gear chewed itself up.

No engine problems, though. I do miss the handling but I couldn't take that at least once a month it wasn't going to crank. I traded it in for a nice reliable Dodge.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I've just bought myself an 85 3.2 Carerra. Such a hoot to drive on A and B roads.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Sigma X posted:

Wow, I have not had those issues. I also keep it under cover when a garage is not available. Shifter cables are a known issue, get the full metal racing ones, they never break. I swapped the gas cap when i bought it for the aluminum one. Never heard about handles snapping or interior fading. Did you tint the windows? smoke at startup is due to oil left from short drives and is perfectly normal. I have 58k miles on mine

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

my 987.1 S

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I'd love a Cayman, but I'm so loving leery of issues with them. After someone here (einteir?) had his explode they've made me nervous.

That said I got to play with a 997 GT3 on some back roads a few days ago, and that thing sounded amazing when I was behind him.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

I have a 987.2 Cayman S that has been rock solid. No issues at all (other than going through many sets of very pricey tires). Going to probably have to sell it soon as I'm moving but its been fantastic overall. I'm pretty much ruined now for most cars and I'm pretty set on a 997.2/991 next

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Arione posted:

Wow, I have not had those issues. I also keep it under cover when a garage is not available. Shifter cables are a known issue, get the full metal racing ones, they never break. I swapped the gas cap when i bought it for the aluminum one. Never heard about handles snapping or interior fading. Did you tint the windows? smoke at startup is due to oil left from short drives and is perfectly normal. I have 58k miles on mine

I did not tint the windows, and I just passed 70,800 on mine. It has some lightweight aftermarket wheels, sticky-ish all-seasons since I moved to NC, and track-day/street dual-purpose pads.

My point is that, for a car that was originally in excess of $60K (sticker on mine was something like $68K with the options) I should not have problems like this. My Miata and 200SX were way more reliable. (although I will admit I had almost as many issues with the '02 M Coupe I owned, and those were major mechanical issues).

I'm probably going to sell it in the late spring or summer and get something with more seats, practicality, and hopefully a bit more excitement. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful car for going fast, but I find it almost completely boring unless I'm at 8/10ths or above.

Oh, I'll also complain about the paint. Aside from the obvious (quite bad) fading of the Speed Yellow color, it takes chips like nothing I've owned before. I guess the response could be "That's what you get for daily driving it!" but that's what a car is for, in my mind, unless it's a specialized vehicle.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 12, 2015

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Some days I wonder about a 944 as a rainy day Miata supplement, but those always seem to end up costing 10k+ and I'm not sure I want to sink the time into maintenance now that used Toyabarus are dropping below 20k.

If everything goes according to plan and I get a more enjoyable job, buy a house and have a kid in the next two years, I might have some good play car money, depending on how expensive childcare turns out to be. I'm considering getting a 997 since the kid might be able to fit in the back between age 2 and 4 or so.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
First-gen Boxsters are dropping below $10k for dire examples, and I'm honestly willing to see if I can find a reasonable mid-teens car before all of them in that price range become ghetto hoopties wearing dubs.

Is a first-gen Boxster legitimately better than an NA Miata? How bad are they from a home-mechanic perspective for non-engine work (since I assume mid-engined means limited access)?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 12, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is a first-gen Boxster legitimately better than an NA Miata? How bad are they from a home-mechanic perspective for non-engine work (since I assume mid-engined means limited access)?

"Limited" would be an understatement. That's from a professional mechanic perspective.

Service work isn't that bad, with the exception of the air filter which is stupid. Plugs and oil and that is easy enough. Cam covers leak endlessly. If it needs a clutch the whole exhaust and poo poo has to come off to pull the box. Alternators are awkward and come out through the cabin.

Being in mind parts cost in general, especially consumable stuff like brake discs, but also poo poo prone to fail from age like the electric soft top.

Good cars overall, disappointing interior quality, not cheap to maintain.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Sigma X posted:

My point is that, for a car that was originally in excess of $60K (sticker on mine was something like $68K with the options) I should not have problems like this. My Miata and 200SX were way more reliable. (although I will admit I had almost as many issues with the '02 M Coupe I owned, and those were major mechanical issues).

I'm probably going to sell it in the late spring or summer and get something with more seats, practicality, and hopefully a bit more excitement. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful car for going fast, but I find it almost completely boring unless I'm at 8/10ths or above.

Oh, I'll also complain about the paint. Aside from the obvious (quite bad) fading of the Speed Yellow color, it takes chips like nothing I've owned before. I guess the response could be "That's what you get for daily driving it!" but that's what a car is for, in my mind, unless it's a specialized vehicle.

I got rid of my 987.1 Cayman S at ~78,000 miles thanks to the air-oil separator failing. It was a complete sweetheart for (most) of the 65,000 miles I had it; didn't have any issues with the clutch or power steering despite putting about 35 track days on it. Did have a power steering cooler (+3rd radiator + GT3 brake ducts) installed though. I'm just surprised you had that many interior/trim problems. Mine did have a gazillion rock chips (including on the leading edge of the roof!) which I put down to the very low, wedge-like shape of the front + going off at various tracks into sand/gravel

It's been a year since I sold it and I miss it more and more :(

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
This is how I will always remember it: passing (badly driven) GT3s all day at Buttonwillow

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

wallaka posted:

No engine problems, though. I do miss the handling but I couldn't take that at least once a month it wasn't going to crank. I traded it in for a nice reliable Dodge.

I test drove a 986, plain jane Boxster about 10 years ago and, for the all of 30 minutes I had with it, it felt like a generic big, grippy car. Granted it was a test drive in Buttfuck, PA and it was a used base model 986, but I was expecting something special because Porsche. Compared to something like a mark 2 Miata or mark 3 MR2, which I was also considering at the time, it felt less like a sports car and more like my 330ci, only with a cloth top. Lots of power, lots of grip, lots of sheet metal, so not the sort of thing you'd want to gently caress with unless you had some handy run-off and no solid obstacles in the way. Can you actually throw it around on a road and get it sliding once you get used to it? Or are they mostly only fun on a track day?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Saga posted:

I test drove a 986, plain jane Boxster about 10 years ago and, for the all of 30 minutes I had with it, it felt like a generic big, grippy car. Granted it was a test drive in Buttfuck, PA and it was a used base model 986, but I was expecting something special because Porsche. Compared to something like a mark 2 Miata or mark 3 MR2, which I was also considering at the time, it felt less like a sports car and more like my 330ci, only with a cloth top. Lots of power, lots of grip, lots of sheet metal, so not the sort of thing you'd want to gently caress with unless you had some handy run-off and no solid obstacles in the way. Can you actually throw it around on a road and get it sliding once you get used to it? Or are they mostly only fun on a track day?

I've tooled around in my brothers 2013 cayman s and that's about how I felt about it. It's an awesome car but I feel like day to day I have more fun driving my e46 m3. The cayman was like my miata with too much grip (I'm coming from thinking a NA miata with lovely all season tires is a ton of fun to running 225/45/15 RS3s and thinking those made the Miata boring). Fast (well the miata isn't fast) and fun but the limits were way away from what you'd want to do on the street. I bet it's a loving blast on the track though.

Battlegoat
Jul 24, 2003

Nap Ghost
2006 997.1 C2S

After replacing the "lobster forks."

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Nice improvement. I'm not too fussy about wheels, but the lobster forks don't look good to me.

I liked the Cayman S. It's very agile. To me, that's fun. The precision is satisfying. It's differently fun, I guess, sort of like going from C2S to C4GTS: the old one was more eventful, but the way the new one's front end wants to help go around the corner makes it feel a lot more balanced, which I like. I'm more into enjoying how well the car handles than how close to the edge I can push it.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

iwentdoodie posted:

but I'm so loving leery of issues with them.

Every so often I find myself looking at Porsches whether it's a Cayman, Boxster or a 996.2 or 997.1 I end up in the same spot you're in... Worried about unusual issues. Like one of the posters here that washed his Cayman and the static from the towel fried a sensor on the front of the car.

Sigma X posted:

it takes chips like nothing I've owned before.

Don't buy a post 2000 Subaru because the bar will get set higher :)

We had a Porsche thread on here a few years ago that ran for 10 or so pages, but if I recall it ended up getting shitposted in so much that it was either closed or allowed to drop to archives.

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 14, 2015

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Sadi posted:

I've tooled around in my brothers 2013 cayman s and that's about how I felt about it. It's an awesome car but I feel like day to day I have more fun driving my e46 m3. The cayman was like my miata with too much grip (I'm coming from thinking a NA miata with lovely all season tires is a ton of fun to running 225/45/15 RS3s and thinking those made the Miata boring). Fast (well the miata isn't fast) and fun but the limits were way away from what you'd want to do on the street. I bet it's a loving blast on the track though.

I agree with my Cayman S feeling sort of like a Miata with more power, stability, and grip. It was easier to drive like a dong than the e46 M3 I had but not as easy as the E55 AMG, and more problems than both of those put together.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

I hope it's okay to ask this here. I've been looking into buying an early year Cayman S for the last half year or so and would like to pull the trigger before summer and I have some broad (dumb?) questions:

• The pickings seem slim enough that I'll have to buy long distance, something I haven't done before; is getting a pre-purchase inspection sufficient? How big of a factor is CPO? It would be nice but it limits the pool a great deal after already filtering MTs

• I'm from CA so I don't know poo poo about rust, should I just stick to west coast cars or just avoid certain states?

• Should I be avoiding certain model years? I'd like to spend less than 40k and still get low miles so that seems to limit me to MY 06-09

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Long response because I considered a Cayman S before deciding on a 2009 C2S. Summary: CPO 2009 with Sport Chrono.

I'm not as familiar with the Cayman facelift, but I think it was similar to the 911 2009 facelift. More horsepower and torque, no IMS problems, Bluetooth, etc. Not sure if "filtering MT" means you want or don't want a manual, but I believe 2009 is when they got the PDK. Don't get a Tiptronic. Anyway, if I remember right, the general consensus was that the second generation was solidly more desirable.

CPO is extra important with a PDK, I think, just in case, but I don't feel comfortable going without CPO in any case on a Porsche.

Also, with PDK, Sport Chrono is really useful. Even on a manual, having sport/sport+ makes the throttle more responsive. I don't drive in normal mode except on the interstate.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Ah, so it seems CPO is vastly preferable to just getting a PPI for a non-CPO. Do I still need to get a PPI on a CPO? Seems redundant

Gorgar posted:

Not sure if "filtering MT" means you want or don't want a manual, but I believe 2009 is when they got the PDK. Don't get a Tiptronic. Anyway, if I remember right, the general consensus was that the second generation was solidly more desirable.

It has to be a manual so I take it I don't have to worry this PDK stuff

Gorgar posted:

Anyway, if I remember right, the general consensus was that the second generation was solidly more desirable.

And no IMS problems? Dangit that's gonna edge my cap up but good to know, thanks for the advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

ignore this I apologize