Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What makes it a compute-oriented card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Hace posted:

What if you hate money?

$10K ethernet cable

Subjunctive posted:

Higher double-precision floating-point capability than other consumer oriented GPU's (useless for playing video games). Still nowhere near what you get when you buy a Quadro.

E: To clarify, the card is not useless for playing video games, obviously; the extra floating-point capabilities (which you are paying lots of money for) just don't do anything to increase performance in that field.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 10, 2015

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
At least I'll no longer need to fight the urge to shake my disapproval when someone says "I have a titan :downs:".

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Subjunctive posted:

uncrippled fp64

wait for the 980ti if you must have it

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
Newegg is giving away the witcher 3 when you buy a MSI gtx 970 100ME. I'm glad I waited because that's the game that I wanted a new gpu for.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zig-Zag posted:

Newegg is giving away the witcher 3 when you buy a MSI gtx 970 100ME. I'm glad I waited because that's the game that I wanted a new gpu for.

This is the new nVidia promotion, it applies to all desktop 960-980 cards and all laptop 970-980s.

edit: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-geforce-gtx-bundle

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 10, 2015

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Zig-Zag posted:

Goddammit, now there really isn't much point in me holding out past this generation given I was going to buy this anyway near release day. Goodbye GTX 680, goodbye $200, hello GTX 970, hello Witcher 3 at 3440x1440 somewhere near 60 FPS hopefully.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

calusari posted:

titan x with some impressive overclocks

Not that I'm defending actually buying one of these, but is that graph suggesting an overclocked Titan X is about 37% faster than an overclocked GTX 980? (or is it 46%? I can't do math).

If this comes out at $1000 or less it would hardly be the worst price to performance curve I've seen.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

1200MHz seems pretty drat low for a Maxwell card. Extrapolating from that graph a TitanX at 1500 under water would easily be 980 SLI levels, which wouldn't put it far too off the price/performance curve for high end GPUs (TitanX + waterblock vs 980x2 + waterblockx2)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

BurritoJustice posted:

1200MHz seems pretty drat low for a Maxwell card.

Probably not given how gigantic GM200 seems to be? It's what, double the area of GM204? Maxwell is sure as hell very efficient but it isn't outright magic.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I've got an SLI system right now and hate it, most games I play (Save for Elite) don't work with it, so that option is dumb and stupid. Basically I'm too indie for SLI. :c00l:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

Probably not given how gigantic GM200 seems to be? It's what, double the area of GM204? Maxwell is sure as hell very efficient but it isn't outright magic.

I'm probably just being too hopeful for GM200. If it really can compete up with SLI 980s it'd be easier to justify to myself when I'd be going SLI 980s anyway because my single 980 just doesn't cut it for a lot of games at 1440p100.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

KakerMix posted:

I've got an SLI system right now and hate it, most games I play (Save for Elite) don't work with it, so that option is dumb and stupid. Basically I'm too indie for SLI. :c00l:

Well, real world SLI doesn't scale nearly as well as it does in stuff like those benches, which bodes well for a single OCed Titan X matching something like that R9 295X So even at potentially 1000-1300$ the bonus of being a single chip and not SLI might actually make it worthwhile vs SLI 980s or something.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Just ordered an MSI GTX 970 4G from NCIX thanks to the Witcher 3 deal. Glad I waited a week!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Just found out the R9 290 doesn't have DVI-I, just DVI-D. I was going to use my old 1440x900 monitor as a secondary but it only has analog in. Poop. :(

Don't suppose I could shove one of my old 5850s in and use that for literally nothing else but as a DVI-D port (and maybe a compute card)?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You can do that if you have the slots.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Kazinsal posted:

Just found out the R9 290 doesn't have DVI-I, just DVI-D. I was going to use my old 1440x900 monitor as a secondary but it only has analog in. Poop. :(

Don't suppose I could shove one of my old 5850s in and use that for literally nothing else but as a DVI-D port (and maybe a compute card)?

http://www.amazon.com/DVI-I-Dual-Link-Male-Female-Adapter/dp/B001I1KU6O

Seems all you'd have to do is plug that into your monitor, then connect the monitor to the card via HDMI.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BIG HEADLINE posted:

http://www.amazon.com/DVI-I-Dual-Link-Male-Female-Adapter/dp/B001I1KU6O

Seems all you'd have to do is plug that into your monitor, then connect the monitor to the card via HDMI.

He's saying he doesn't have a monitor with HDMI, only VGA.

His best bet is to grab a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter, as you can guarantee those are active.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

HalloKitty posted:

He's saying he doesn't have a monitor with HDMI, only VGA.

His best bet is to grab a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter, as you can guarantee those are active.

Ah. Yeah - that'd work.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Given the 390X isn't coming out for a couple months, I'm probably just going to spring for one of those $600 295X2s to drive my 4K. The 295X2 is a real product that I can buy today, and I don't think a 390X-based setup will be able to touch the value proposition with R200 prices where they are today.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Given the 390X isn't coming out for a couple months, I'm probably just going to spring for one of those $600 295X2s to drive my 4K. The 295X2 is a real product that I can buy today, and I don't think a 390X-based setup will be able to touch the value proposition with R200 prices where they are today.

That new Titan benchmark chart made me think the exact same thing. The 295X2 is a really good value.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

Do dual gpu cards have the same issues or circumstances that two gpus have? (compatibility, frame variance, etc)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

1gnoirents posted:

Do dual gpu cards have the same issues or circumstances that two gpus have? (compatibility, frame variance, etc)

Yeah, they're just in one card, otherwise the same.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dual GPU cards have come a long way in the last couple years.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

calusari posted:

Ok, now lets compare it to 980s that are overclocked.

I'm calling 1500 when(if) it actually becomes available.

E: dangers of open box buying. I decided to spend like 10 bucks more and return my Asus Mark 1 board and get the Hero instead. Open the box to install everything last night and it was literally just the board. Didn't even have the rear i/o cover. Back to Microcenter with you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

veedubfreak posted:

Ok, now lets compare it to 980s that are overclocked.

Well, you can see the 980 with/without OC in the chart, and it's a smaller delta than OCing the Titans.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Subjunctive posted:

Well, you can see the 980 with/without OC in the chart, and it's a smaller delta than OCing the Titans.

The g1 can still pick up close to 15% or more by overclocking. They only show a stock 980 and a G1.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

As much as I love how well these last cards OC, I really do wish they just came that way from the factory. It really muddles benchmarks.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
So I'm trying to overclock my EVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0, If i go any more than about +80 mhz on the core clock, my graphics drivers normally poo poo themselves about 2 minutes into running a game. I tried putting +12mv on the overvoltage, and i can't seem to get past +100 mhz on the core and +100 on the memory without introducing instability. Is it worth going any higher on the voltage, or is this just the limit for my card? The overvoltage feature will up to +36mv but I don't really know where my limits should be.

Temps are not exceeding 80C under load.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

whats the actual mhz? the offset isnt really indicative of much between cards and brands, but the final clock speed is far more absolute and what you should be comparing. Also you can simply max out your sandbox voltage and power target, you arent allowed to go over any damaging limit on these cards for a long time. Go into settings and select extended voltage settings as well

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Adding voltage usually causes issues. Just use the power limit.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I disagree heavily but my experience is limited strictly to 600 series nvidia and on. I wouldn't normally advocate it for overclocking in general. Also to be fair I'm not sure if 970's are voltage limited as were the last two gens. My impression on harm it does is virtually zero though, and I don't know what kind of issues it causes with the room they give you.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

calusari posted:

I'm actually more impressed by the perfect performance scaling to 4-way here. I doubt that will actually play out in real-world games, but it would be nice.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm actually more impressed by the perfect performance scaling to 4-way here. I doubt that will actually play out in real-world games, but it would be nice.

That's pretty typical on the synthetics like 3D mark- Look at the 980 and 295 scores too. Real games never end up quite as good, although some come close.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So the EVGA GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 is currently $344.99 from NewEgg (with a $10 MIR).

I'm not big on OCing, at least I've never really fooled around with it. Is that factory OC anything special? Is it satisfactory enough to be worth that extra $40?

I like EVGA as I've had good experiences with my last 2-3 cards from them and a terrible experience with a GIGABYTE card a while back. Any reason to choose any specific manufacturers other then price?

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 11, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mazz posted:

So the EVGA GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 is currently $344.99 from NewEgg (with a $10 MIR).

I'm not big on OCing, at least I've never really fooled around with it. Is that factory OC anything special? Is it satisfactory enough to be worth that extra $40?

I like EVGA as I've had good experiences with my last 2-3 cards from them and a terrible experience with a GIGABYTE card a while back. Any reason to choose any specific manufacturers other then price?

The EVGA cooler is the worst of all of them, the recommended card is the MSI or ASUS one.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The EVGA cooler is the worst of all of them, the recommended card is the MSI or ASUS one.

Okay, good to know. As mentioned though I don't have much interest in overclocking, so the EVGA card being 100mhz faster out the door is nice for ~$10 more. Could that small of an increase be done without modifying voltages and all that, or am I safer just getting the EVGA card if I don't want to mess with it?

Is the MSI fan that much better that I'd even notice?

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 12, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I got the MSI, opened the Afterburner utility, moved the sliders all the way to the right, and was done. No problems so far (couple months).

Inovius
Apr 7, 2010

Mazz posted:

If you want to go EVGA Either get the new SSC or the FTW+ they have the new design coolers they put out. I picked up a FTW+ in January and have no complaints at all with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Subjunctive posted:

I got the MSI, opened the Afterburner utility, moved the sliders all the way to the right, and was done. No problems so far (couple months).

Inovius posted:

If you want to go EVGA Either get the new SSC or the FTW+ they have the new design coolers they put out. I picked up a FTW+ in January and have no complaints at all with it.

Yeah looking it up, it seems they pushed 2.0+ to more or less fix all the problems found in 2.0, unfortunately that warrants another $40-50. I also found some reviews of the MSI card and it seems like the best choice for sure because you can do everything straight out of afterburner; it has the most potential given it's power/cooling setup. It's even $329 from after MIR on Amazon right now. Thanks again guys.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 12, 2015