Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Is there any way to tell in the enemy fleet display what class of ship each entry is? Some are obvious, but some aren't. I can't always tell the difference between a cruiser and a battleship/big rear end carrier/whatever.

Also, in the details screen - same deal. Is there any field that says what hull size a ship is? It's often obvious, but it matters for stuff like burn bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So I've managed to get my relationship with Hegemony up to nearly 100%, meaning I can finally buy a battlecruiser from them. So now I'm saving money to start rounding my fleet out with a cruiser, and possibly a battlecruiser.

What are some good larger ship fits out there, if I'm playing SS+? Tri-Tach hates me so I can't get the Eagle.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SquadronROE posted:

So I've managed to get my relationship with Hegemony up to nearly 100%, meaning I can finally buy a battlecruiser from them. So now I'm saving money to start rounding my fleet out with a cruiser, and possibly a battlecruiser.

What are some good larger ship fits out there, if I'm playing SS+? Tri-Tach hates me so I can't get the Eagle.

You can buy eagles from sindria, sindria has all the good mid-tech stuff, tri tach tend to stock the late domain tech which is usually blue and usually covered in lasers.

Hegemony heavy ships aren't generally very good I think, because they're agonizingly slow, to the point that the only thing you will be able to pick a fight with are things which seriously outclass you. In a fight they're cheap and effective, but good luck getting them into a fight they can win. Hegemony ships reflect the hegemony in general, they're common, cheap to field, and rely on massive local superiority to be effective, they suffer on the strategic mobility which, being a small, one man fleet, is what you need.

A mid-tech cruiser is probably your best choice or some of the mod ships. I would suggest an aurora but you pissed off TT so good luck with that. Apogee is fun but expensive and not that good for its size and cost.

Try checking sindria, you will find a decent selection of midline cruisers there. BRDY have a wonderful selection of high end destroyers and cruisers which make very good flagships if you have them installed.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I wish there was ever a nevermore for sale. I saw a -000 once near the start of the game but it quickly vanished by time I had the rep to buy it. Anything with "High Maintenance" simply isn't viable to fly around with (honestly you should really tone that back) and so flew a Scarab for the longest time. I captured a knight but honestly it sucked so it went right into storage. Recently I found a black-market medusa and so of course I use that now. I captured a Sunder-U but surprisingly it wasn't all that good, I had expected more from a U class.

I've got 500k credits and literally nothing I can spend it on because the ships I want aren't ever for sale. Maybe I should install a random boarding mod and go harass extingency or something

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 11, 2015

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Just buy Enforcers you special snowflakes. All individuality shall be crushed under the advancing tide of rustbuckets. Accept the new path

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

But the Tri-Tach home system is such a delicious clusterfuck.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Just buy Enforcers you special snowflakes. All individuality shall be crushed under the advancing tide of rustbuckets. Accept the new path

This also is the best strategy. Heavy ships are super cool but I tend to rent them rather than actually try to run them. Build up a supply stockpile, buy a cruiser, run it until you run out of supplies, sell it back to the nearest planet.

Swarms of destroyers/frigates work so much better because they can pick fights with things that aren't likely to wipe them out.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I hate the enforcer. It's such an overpowered shitheap and half it's armor should be removed.

I swear the burn drive just made the low-tech ships absurdly overpowered compared to tri-tach for the most part.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Are there any faster (in combat, I mean) destroyers? The Enforcer, while really good at stand-up fighting, doesn't do so good at chasing down fleeing freighters, even with the burn drive (a lot of the freighters I'm trying to catch have burn drives of their own). I might just buy a carrier and a few bomber wings, or some fast frigates, but if I could find some mainline destroyers that are still effective in a pursuit role that would rock too.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mister Bates posted:

Are there any faster (in combat, I mean) destroyers? The Enforcer, while really good at stand-up fighting, doesn't do so good at chasing down fleeing freighters, even with the burn drive (a lot of the freighters I'm trying to catch have burn drives of their own). I might just buy a carrier and a few bomber wings, or some fast frigates, but if I could find some mainline destroyers that are still effective in a pursuit role that would rock too.

Medusa has 100 base speed and phase skimmer. There are a few faster mod destroyers out there. Or you could just send your favorite fast frigate out to jam a torpedo up their tailpipe.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I usually keep a speed-rigged Sunder in reserve for chasing fleeing opponents. You can fit weapons with decent range on them as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As someone already illustrated, the tempest is stupidly fast and is armed more than well enough to be a destroyer.

For pursuit though I generally would suggest a heavy frigate, there are quite a few of those equipped for speed. The cerberus for example can help carry crap and also double as a servicable pursuit ship, put a shield on it if you need to.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

flying Boars, having my cake and eating it

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Bhodi posted:

Anything with "High Maintenance" simply isn't viable to fly around with (honestly you should really tone that back) and so flew a Scarab for the longest time.

I've found that they're plenty viable. A while ago I had a fleet with, among some frigates and freighters, a Desdinova and a Jesuit (remember that Templar ships have "extremely high maintenance") and I was doing really well as long as I was fighting plenty of enemies. After all, if you're not going to go balls deep into the danger zone then you don't really need ships like that.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
To the surprise of no one who actually thought about it, Enforcers are merely 'good' if you use them in a mixed fleet and don't go out of your way to use the biggest enforcer-only blob you possibly can.

I'm not sure that the benefits of preventing every possible exploitation of game mechanics outweight the loss of fun and interesting stuff in doing so. Also bear in mind that the Enforcer benefits a great deal from a human pilot, because of the issue of the AI overusing shields, and only shows its true potential with lots of character skills behind it. From the player's perspective, Sunders are just as threatening and several of the new high-tech destroyers in SS+ are more so.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, you could always use Shield Bypass on AI ones since it's probably better for them to not have a shield than to overuse it like they do.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

I've found that they're plenty viable. A while ago I had a fleet with, among some frigates and freighters, a Desdinova and a Jesuit (remember that Templar ships have "extremely high maintenance") and I was doing really well as long as I was fighting plenty of enemies. After all, if you're not going to go balls deep into the danger zone then you don't really need ships like that.

Agreed. Particularly once you start getting to high skill levels (character level 35+) and have a few fast freighters carrying supplies around.

Probably 1/3 of the ships in my fleet are "high maintenance".

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Gobblecoque posted:

I found I simply wasn't able to sustain the fleet unless I was fighting every single time I got to max readiness; there wasn't any reason to keep a Des as my flagship when I can field the Scarab, two alastors and hecate for the same price.

It's actually kind of a problem with destroyers in general; you want one destroyer flagship and the rest frigates in your "frigate fleet" and the only one that can keep up is the medusa. Otherwise you want to field a cruiser and some battleships, in which case you'll want to be flying the cruiser and bring along a bunch of enforcers or cheap destroyer cannon fodder because you care less about your burn speed.

I actually don't know why you implemented "High Maintenance" as Hull Mod, since it kind of hides the fact it's actually 6.7 supplies/day; the Asura's 7.5 (not that I've ever seen one). I'm sure there's a mechanics reason but regardless the fact remains that it's very, very expensive compared to the best-in-class Medusa or Enforcer in almost all things and not really superior in any.

E: maybe things will change when I put points into leadership, I just didn't find a place for it in my fleet unlike the scarab which is just an awesome ship.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 11, 2015

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

High Maintenance isn't the same as being 6.7 supplies a day, because High Maintenance only takes effect when a ship is idling at max CR.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Makes sense I guess, I don't tend to fly extended sorties, I generally pop into a system and go from base to combat back to base to drop off all the loot so yeah I guess it's bad at that.

What I really want is just a ship to dethrone the medusa, I guess.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

High maintenance means you pay 25% of the logistics cost per day even at max CR, whereas most ships you just pay for the crew and any repairs/restoration of CR.

High maintenance is just use it or lose it, most ships you can keep around indefinitely with only their crew upkeep costs being the difference between mothballing them and having them at maximum readiness, and you can cut crew costs with things like automated repair systems. If you use your ship a lot you won't notice the maintenance fee as much, because it will probably be earning its weight in supplies.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The supplies system has always been a confusing layer of complexity to me, if ships don't take their base supplies per day plus any recovery CR/day plus crew maint per day I clearly don't understand it properly

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

High maintenance means you pay 25% of the logistics cost per day even at max CR, whereas most ships you just pay for the crew and any repairs/restoration of CR.

Nah, it's only when at max CR. High Maintenance does nothing otherwise, meaning if you're constantly fighting, it doesn't really do much but add an opportunity cost to going somewhere and looking for a battle. I don't want players taking ships that are supposed to be cutting edge death machines out for a sunday stroll, so I like what the hullmod does.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

yaay posted:

flying Boars, having my cake and eating it

Just bought a Boar, and I honestly think it outclasses the Enforcer in terms of all-around performance. It doesn't have quite the raw firepower of the Enforcer, but it has much better turret coverage, allowing it to bring more of its weapons loadout to bear at any given time. The Enforcer is the superior of the two when fighting single large targets, because it has more weapons to focus on a single enemy, but when dealing with larger numbers of smaller ships, like frigates, the Boar definitely seems to win out.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
yeah. I bought it initially because I liked the fluff text, but I'm impressed by how durable it is and how easy it is to get into brawling range with it. It's not like you can throw five hailfire chainguns or maulers or whatever on an Enforcer without serious compromise anyway. As far as frigate chat goes
I really like the Mantis because I find the AI is incredibly good at kiting with it, and it has just enough ordnance to fit some of the nicer weapons from the mods. I've had one in my fleet in my ironman for like forever. Also I've had some success spamming shepherds for the same reason that the AI seems to use them well by having them all gang up on one target without me having to waste orders micromanaging them.

e: also laffo when friendly ships raise their shields in anticipation of you careening into them using burn drive

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I like having Alastors for wingmen, they're tough little bastards with a lot of OP for a frigate and good weapon coverage.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
In SS+ I can't seem to make any sort of living going pure bounty hunter. It really seems as if the prices on ships were balanced towards the assumption that even as a pair of frigates you're going to be constantly chasing shortages in markets. I don't mind doing that when I'm loving around as a privateer or a trader, but sometimes I just wanna jump pirates and live by my bounties.

vv :confused: I mean, I don't just jettison the cargo. But that's a good point about being in economically screwed over systems, since I wasn't making much off the cargo I was getting. Guess I need to follow the market.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 12, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jump pirates and live by selling their cargo. The bounties are just a nice bonus. If the system is sufficiently hosed economically you'll be making 100+ for most cargo.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

MShadowy posted:

2012 fo' lyfe!

What did them Yardies ever do to you?! :argh:

Regardless, that seems a bit too broken. Blast, looks like I might need to do more balancing on the Anar system. ... well, was considering throwing in some Pirates again anyway (largely because of ludicrous but unobtainable bounties) so may as well see if I can't get figure out the economy better.

Well, the Independent Planet has such a low population I accidently lost rep by selling 100 Food - turns out they only needed 20 when there was a shortage, so I got hit with an Independent Rep loss due to a Food Glut. And then they were buying drugs for 1100 a piece (which sells on the further planet/station for ~350) so I just started smuggling that as a "gently caress you I was trying to help" and now the whole system went to poo poo and I made bank and its perfect.

My suggestions would be too reduce the value of Rare Metals/Metals/Volatiles/Organics/Fuel during disruptions by a bit, since the other planet always can produce whats needed - so you don't need to do any out-of-system trading to get the good prices. The next would be to up the population on Melancholia or something, just so they get more than 20 Food unit Shortages since its painfully easy to accidently glut and make them hate you.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anyone know what mod the Rhon Laser is from? A single one is devouring my framerate and I don't know where to report that.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I found it really hard to make a living as a pirate until I started picking off trade fleets specifically, instead of jumping everything I could fight. Rebuilding combat readiness eats up so loving many supplies, and supplies are so much more expensive in SS+, that you'll go bankrupt if you try to fight every battle you can win. When I started focusing mainly on targets that were actually carrying cargo, I started doing much better.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Anyone know what mod the Rhon Laser is from? A single one is devouring my framerate and I don't know where to report that.

Templars.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I'm flying with a a line of wolfs, 3-4 sunders, 2 Herons and a Falcon (Usually flagship), and the rest of my fleet capacity are fighters and bombers, and I have to say that they're a lot less effective than they used to be.

I remember that you could essentially roll a fleet of any size and composition with pretty much with fighter/bomber spam, and now I'm having to ditch the support elements of the fleet in favor of actual ships.

Maybe I can find some decent destroyers/cruisers to replace what I'm ditching. I just don't like overall lack of speed of the majority of heavy ships.

Also, can you add factions to a game already in progress, or am I going to have to start again? I added a few from the OP list, but not all of them seemed to be updated at the time, so I skipped a few. Feeling like I could use a few more factions to rumble though.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
The other day I saw a couple wolfs for sale in a dock, so I bought them, gave them my default fitout (Phase Lance, Tac laser, etc.) and it was good.

Then I noticed in combat they were behaving strangely, not firing their weapons at all. They were in fact aggressively bumping into things with their shield.

Turns out I forgot the "gave them my default fitout" step, and they were completely unarmed for 3-4 fights. Good AI, still trying to contribute.

On a somewhat related note:

Anyone notice what appears to be a bug with autofire? My Medusa has everything but the phase lances on autofire, and occasionally the autofire groups just stop firing. I assumed the first few times it was battle damage, but if I manually switch to the weapon group, they'll fire. If I turn autopilot on, they'll fire. In fact, fixing it is as simple as turning autopilot on for a bit, then taking control back - they start working again.

Is there a visual indicator on your HUD when one of your weapons is out of commission?

Backov fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 12, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
So, tempests with dual phase lances are hilariously good. As are medusae (of course). Got my hands on 7 or 8 phase lances. Put lances on everything

(also works for scalaron)

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Backov posted:

The other day I saw a couple wolfs for sale in a dock, so I bought them, gave them my default fitout (Phase Lance, Tac laser, etc.) and it was good.

Then I noticed in combat they were behaving strangely, not firing their weapons at all. They were in fact aggressively bumping into things with their shield.

Turns out I forgot the "gave them my default fitout" step, and they were completely unarmed for 3-4 fights. Good AI, still trying to contribute.

This is awesome.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Nah, it's only when at max CR. High Maintenance does nothing otherwise, meaning if you're constantly fighting, it doesn't really do much but add an opportunity cost to going somewhere and looking for a battle. I don't want players taking ships that are supposed to be cutting edge death machines out for a sunday stroll, so I like what the hullmod does.
Right now it's just a flavor mechanic that adds tedium to certain play styles that are already suboptimal. It only ever matters if you're hostile to everyone or you spend months looking for pirates in Eos. Otherwise the only thing that limits you from using a fleet of only 30 Hyperions is logistics capability, deployment points and CR per deployment. Just suspend repairs and a Hyperion can sustain itself with it's 10 cargo for 13 days. The cost in supplies from high maintenence will never approach the cost of recovering CR much less buying those Hyperions in the first place.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Bhodi posted:

I swear the burn drive just made the low-tech ships absurdly overpowered compared to tri-tach for the most part.

Yeah, low tech ships should have no counters for the fast teleporting bullshit ships equipped with long range laser weapons because something something

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Backov posted:

That's the best wolf fitout I've been able to come up with as well, and I use one salamander and one harpoon pod per wolf as well.

Bhodi posted:

(scalaron)

Scalarons are insane. Fit them to a Falcon and watch it take down Eagle after Eagle (It also took out a Knight with the help from some wolves)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Well, I hopped back in and tried jumping things that looked juicy, but I'm still not quite making it. I don't know if I'm just unlucky or if this is by design but I have yet to find any supplies that sell for under $800 in SS+. This is after combing every planet in four systems including Corvus, which means entering combat with a single frigate costs a Hermes, and that's if I find a good deal. When combat is this expensive and the loot swings so wildly, it really doesn't seem profitable to play this as anything other than a trade simulator until you have enough to build a small fleet.

Maybe I should just go back to vanilla (ugh, the skills), or see if I can wrestle with the configs to scale the pricing back. This really isn't enjoyable for me and I'm usually all over challenging stuff. I just wanna blow up some ships, yo. :smith:

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 12, 2015