Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i loving guarantee all of you morons that vdg will never race in F1 ever again (excluding any potential sauber races he wriggles his way into this year). it's just absolutely, clearly, objectively not happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Riso posted:

Button once broke his contract with Williams to drive another year in a poo poo show Honda and had to pay millions to make it go away. He later became WDC and was able to move to McLaren.

Show me where breaking his contract damaged Buttons career.

Fair enough, but Button at that point wasn't a washout with mediocre to bad results.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

be nice wicka posted:

i loving guarantee all of you morons that vdg will never race in F1 ever again (excluding any potential sauber races he wriggles his way into this year). it's just absolutely, clearly, objectively not happening.

You just contradicted yourself in this post, FYI.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

You just contradicted yourself in this post, FYI.

no

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Riso posted:

Button once broke his contract with Williams to drive another year in a poo poo show Honda and had to pay millions to make it go away. He later became WDC and was able to move to McLaren.

Show me where breaking his contract damaged Buttons career.

Drivers often change their minds and sort things out for large sums of money, and legally Williams could probably have enforced that contract and had a driver who didn't want to race for them stuck in the car for a year. This case is the reverse though - he wants to race, he has a contract to race, and the team have acted as though he doesn't. It's not about VDG breaking a contract and whether that would affect his career, it's about Sauber breaking a contract and whether that will bankrupt them or prevent other drivers/sponsors/etc wanting to be associated with them.

And yeah, van der Garde isn't racing in F1 again unless he actually ends up in a Sauber this year. It's not really about the case, he's simply 29 and not very good and there will always be younger guys with rich daddies in GP2. The chances of there being such a run on pay drivers that his name comes up are basically zero.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

Drivers often change their minds and sort things out for large sums of money, and legally Williams could probably have enforced that contract and had a driver who didn't want to race for them stuck in the car for a year. This case is the reverse though - he wants to race, he has a contract to race, and the team have acted as though he doesn't. It's not about VDG breaking a contract and whether that would affect his career, it's about Sauber breaking a contract and whether that will bankrupt them or prevent other drivers/sponsors/etc wanting to be associated with them.

And yeah, van der Garde isn't racing in F1 again unless he actually ends up in a Sauber this year. It's not really about the case, he's simply 29 and not very good and there will always be younger guys with rich daddies in GP2. The chances of there being such a run on pay drivers that his name comes up are basically zero.

Right, this is more like when Ferrari paid Kimi to gently caress off. But Sauber is sort of doing the same thing but they have no money to pay him off, or even pay him back.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I just wanted to talk about how hilarious I found watching Kimi's 2005 Japanese GP win, with his name written massively on the side of his car.

Also, I really enjoyed the fuel battles. It was something that a was hyped up for me before I watched the 2014 season. And fuel seemed to mean jackshit last year.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
So, what if Sauber actually does give the car to Giedo Fawkes this weekend? They'll be in breach of contract with one of their other ten to fourteen pay drivers. Imagine if they sued Sauber too.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

El Hefe posted:

is this tsaedje with one of his famous spreadsheets?

I would kill myself before wearing Red Bull merch

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Eagerly awaiting Sauber to die so we can have a five team season.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Eagerly awaiting Sauber to die so we can have a five team season.

Let Ferrari run five cars imo

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

There will be, but unless they get a superlicence this year, they're going to need to be actually good to get one.

As far as I'm aware VDG can renew his forever now. But the people following gonna need those points.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

joe's award claims (CLAIMS) that sauber originally planned to run bianchi and vdg together, but that ferrari pulled their support once bianchi got injured, and vdg's money alone wasn't enough to prop up the team

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Jedit posted:

He's just following in the footsteps of Michael Schumacher, who also left a Renault powered team for Ferrari and drove a Brawn.

:drat:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Hopefully hamilton signs with ferrari next year so we can see them go under too. (By which I mean sell scudaria ferrari and continue running theme parks and t shirt sales)

The idea of open wheel racing without ferrari is sexually exciting!

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Hopefully hamilton signs with ferrari next year so we can see them go under too. (By which I mean sell scudaria ferrari and continue running theme parks and t shirt sales)

You've just made yourself an enemy for life :italy:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
If you're thinking of going to a GP check out this ranking http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/11460690/Formula-One-venues-ranked-and-rated-by-Daniel-Johnson-in-pictures.html

I feel that the last couple of Hungarian GPs being good was kind of an accident but otherwise his opinions make sense.

I really gotta get my rear end to Australia next year.

Brazil would be cool too but I'd probably get mugged, be unable to board a plane back without my id and die shortly after

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

poopzilla posted:

Let Ferrari run five cars imo

Not a bad idea, they might actually get closer to a race win with that many.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

poty posted:

I feel that the last couple of Hungarian GPs being good was kind of an accident but otherwise his opinions make sense.
It seems to have a decent chance of being wet in any given year which equals entertaining. I disagree with his suggestions that the A1-Ring needs more corners; it's its simplicity that makes it charming compared to the usual excess of corners at a Tilke track.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
For all the complaints about Hungary being a bad track (and it kind of is), it's had it's share of really good races over the years.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It was the scene of the greatest ever win, by the greatest ever driver. Mansell in '89

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Hungarian Grand Prix was first held over 75 years ago and only 21 times have non-British drivers won it. Really makes you think.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pablo Bluth posted:

It was the scene of the greatest ever win, by the greatest ever driver. Mansell in '89

Damon Hill in 93

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Pablo Bluth posted:

Massa in 09

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Damon Hill in 93
Hamilton loves the place, Button got his first win there. It clearly sits on top of an anglo-saxon hellmouth. .

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Our Damon in an Arrows coming so so close.. heartbreaking race that was :(

As well as Button's first win there, he won there on his 200th grand prix a few years back or so (I want to say 2011?) - I love Hungary, but I'm British so obviously I'm biased.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Just woke up to the noise of Formula 1 cars, life is good

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

NoArmedMan posted:

Just woke up to the noise of Formula 1 cars, life is good

But they're soooo quite now, are you sleeping on the track?????

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Good news! This already exists in America!

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

poopzilla posted:

But they're soooo quite now, are you sleeping on the track?????

P much, I live about 100m from the track

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

For all the complaints about Hungary being a bad track (and it kind of is), it's had it's share of really good races over the years.

It seems to keep itself afloat too. I personally am not fond of it but whatever.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

NoArmedMan posted:

P much, I live about 100m from the track

Yet you're not even going to the race. A shameful F1 fan.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

It seems to keep itself afloat too. I personally am not fond of it but whatever.

I don't know if it's still true, but for a while it was basically the unofficial Finnish GP, given the amount of Finnish fans that attended to cheer Mika.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

gret posted:

Yet you're not even going to the race. A shameful F1 fan.

I ended up getting tomorrow off work - so i'll head along to practice. Go all white men and women.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Human Grand Prix posted:

Good news! This already exists in America!

Hmmm maybe Ferrari is not so bad

poty
Jun 21, 2008

NoArmedMan posted:

Go all white men and women.

Excuse me?

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

poty posted:

Excuse me?

gret constantly accuses me of being racist because I don't like Hamilton :(

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

NoArmedMan posted:

gret constantly accuses me of being racist because I don't like Hamilton :(

To be fair you're also Australian.

e:

You Am I posted:

So has FOM launched the 2015 iOS/Android F1 2015 app yet?

it's out now as an update to the existing 2014 app.

gret fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 11, 2015

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

gret posted:

e: it's out now as an update to the existing 2014 app.

It's been a while since I bothered with the app, is it worth using whatever freebies they give you or do you have to pony up cash for the good stuff? and just to sanity check, the paid stuff does include a 'run the live timing later on' kinda thing doesn't it? I don't often get to watch races live because I have two kids who devour my weekend, so the old freebie live timing app was next to useless for watching the race later on in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Argh, its 20 quid again this year. No thanks

• Locked thread