Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I would recommend killing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Assuming the field hospital is the standard MIT23 MASH vehicle it can take exactly one Pulse Laser hit to its rear facing before being destroyed. I strongly recommend someone kill Heph 2 before the Clanners get their atrocity on.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Scintilla posted:

Assuming the field hospital is the standard MIT23 MASH vehicle it can take exactly one Pulse Laser hit to its rear facing before being destroyed. I strongly recommend someone kill Heph 2 before the Clanners get their atrocity on.

I'm pretty sure that there's nothing I can do save it. I can't get range bonuses against it with my pulses and it has a 1 better move mod. I'm more concerned about removing threats right now than trying to save something that's pretty doomed.

Hey PTN, how much damage can our objective take?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The issue has been that PTN's dice have been rolling average to below average this entire game for both sides. Except the Clan force is fast hovers and carrying a multitude of pulse lasers. We literally cannot hit them like that and are getting picked apart because he can with those rolls. So while tactically we're not exactly playing the greatest either, it also doesn't seem to really matter. Here's the breakdown of the rolls we needed to hit last turn:

pre:
12s Needed: 3(0 hits?? - Rolls unknown)
11s Needed: 4(0 hit)
10s Needed: 6(0 hit)
9s  Needed: 5(2 hit)
8s  Needed: 8(0 hit)
7s  Needed: 2(1 hit)
6s  Needed: 2(2 hit)
5s  Needed: 2(2 hit)
The worst part is seeing that most of our shots needed 8s, not too bad, and noticing that literally none of those shots connected. The actual average to-hit on our shots was 9-10. Basically, we hit with the pulse lasers people were carrying, and those were literally the only things other than two lucky shots. Meanwhile, while PTN's rolls were similar for the Clans, his rolls-to-hit are averaging around 5. This has been a pretty frustrating match so far.

Or, to put it bluntly, my Panther's taken 8 shots so far over the course of the game. 2 were on 11s and thus were unlikely to hit, but the other 6 were on 10s, and none hit. In fact, of those 6 rolls, exactly 1 has been over 7, while 3 have been below. And considering that even in the absolute best circumstances I'm looking at an 8-9 to hit, these rolls are basically making anything I do pointless.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Lord Koth posted:

these rolls are basically making anything I do pointless.

Welcome to Battletech.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

"Fortune makes fools of us all."

That's Battletech!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
One thing that could help your chances is to fire your LB/X with Cluster rounds instead of Slug. Last turn you guys fired 2 slugs that would have hit if they had been shotgun. Cluster is probably the superior option 99% of the time in this scenario cause of the motive damage and better TH.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

hooman posted:

Hey PTN, how much damage can our objective take?

All objectives (in this mission) can take 50 damage to prevent me from one-turn killing them with superior Clan firepower. If I want to kill your objective I have to commit to it.

Lord Koth posted:

This has been a pretty frustrating match so far.

The speed disparity seems huge (and it is) but my vehicles simply can't take a hit. My assault is on a razor's edge, if it folds here I have nothing to back it up.

Some general tips: Try not to let me shoot you in the Right Side / Left Side firing arc. You're better off giving me shots at rear armor than letting me attack you from the side. You can't help it around a fast Ace but most of your units can be protected fairly easily and you can use this knowledge to ruin my day.

Attacks from the front and back only risk critical hits on a hit location roll of 2 and 12.

Attacks from the side risk crits on a hit location roll of 2, 8, and 12

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Man, this update is really driving home how much more lethal and war-like this tank battle is. Most scenarios involve just a handful of pilots, and mechs are comparatively safe such that most mechs going down don't kill their pilots, but here we've got a field hospital for War Crimes O'Clock and tanks getting jacked up and ready to take piles of crew with them.

Engine Joe and the hostages from the second scenario all those years ago were a tragedy, but a very specific sort of drawn-out tragedy. This looks like it'll just be a bloodbath. I can see why mechwarriors are considered some kind of elite suitable for nobles' heirs if they're kept above this kind of bloody fighting.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

On the one hand: my poor Partisan :ohdear:
On the other hand that flavour text is pretty awesome, so despite the bad shooting a good turn in my books.

No, two things:
One: what are the movement options of the Solamha infantry and what are their Gauss SMGs like? I assume they are 1/2 movement and will enter the building to basically be area denial, or is there something more threatening about them?
Two: Firar John and Ba Donk a Bonk
I feel like the best play now would be to get all up in that Hunchback's business and commit to a close range fight for a turn or two (if we focus fire, hopefully only one turn), because that would leave the Epona having to choose between either backing up an ally that could be dead within a turn and then facing 5-6 enemy tanks on its own, or to bail and leave the Hunchback to go down alone, both are results I could live with, but I doubt we would gain anything from giving even more ground. The next turn or two will be brutal, with those two UAC-20s, but otherwise we will be stuck in that corner not doing anything of note for the rest of the game. So if you are willing, I'll commit like this:

This will put all my vehicles at either 6 or 7 range from the Hunchback, which seems to be the best engagement distance I can get this turn, while the Partisan can either catch a few shots or get into a better position for two turns from now (since I can't get it into a safe position anyway, I may as well reposition it as best as I can)
Those positions would allow me to use all my weapons on both the Tokugawa and the Hunter at mostly Short range, except for the SRM-6 at Medium and the Pulse Lasers at Long range, while still remaining in Medium range of the Hunchback's weapons.
Edit: Obviously with secondary fire orders if the Epona does decide to come closer.
What do you guys think, and what do more experienced players think?

sheep-dodger fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 9, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

sheep-dodger posted:

No, two things:
One: what are the movement options of the Solamha infantry and what are their Gauss SMGs like? I assume they are 1/2 movement and will enter the building to basically be area denial, or is there something more threatening about them?

They can hoof it one hex and as far as I can tell they have 1/2/3 range and do about 2/3 of a point of damage for each hit (they get one attack and roll on the cluster table to see how many dudes actually hit on a successful attack).

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ok, look, I told you to back up the challenger to protect the long tom, you didn't and exactly what I said would happen, happened,

but even worse you didn't even bother to protect the secondary objective either.

:negative: What is wrong with you people.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

At this point, I'm absolutely willing to put everything into killing that Hunchback next turn.

That said, I'm still not going to get that close, or be going slow enough to get picked off by the Epona. But, I'll definitely be shooting up the Hunchback.

AtomikKrab posted:

Look, we're the bravest people the DracSuns could get together, not the smartest.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

AtomikKrab posted:

Ok, look, I told you to back up the challenger to protect the long tom, you didn't and exactly what I said would happen, happened,

but even worse you didn't even bother to protect the secondary objective either.

Ya know Krab, we had this problem as far back as '12 when I was running the Atlas. Suggesting in general terms what to do is one thing. But trying to tell the players what to do? That's not helping at all. No one wants to wait years to play this game to end up being your hand puppet. You may know better. You may even be right in this case. But trying to hijack command of the game?

Not cool, man, not cool.

Let's ease it back and let 'em live or die on their own decisions, alright? I know it's frustrating, but we gotta let 'em do their own thing, even if that means plummeting from the nest and bashing their brains out on the sidewalk below.

That's Battletech, m'man, and you know it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, Long Tom's options are to either drop a shell on top of, or right behind, Hephaestus 1 or drop it on top of the nearby Zorya, as I believe I have visual on it. Alternatively Hephaestus 2, but not entirely sure how the Long Tom's firing arcs work.

Also, Losanda's Wasp needs to clear the hell out of there, as you are TAGed. Suggestions are jumping on top of Hephaestus 1, or the Zorya, but both carry some risks. With the Hephaestus, the Sylphs are likely moving in that direction, while with the Zorya you are in LoS of the Odin. That's probably the not quite as dangerous option though, as you're looking at merely 9's for its weaponry, as opposed to the Sylphs right next to, or on top of, you.

Also,

AtomikKrab posted:

kindly shut up. If the Hephaestus survived this turn, it could get to a place capable of shooting the Long Tom at short range REGARDLESS of where we moved last turn if it wanted. Advice is appreciated; demanding we do certain things and then insulting us when we don't isn't.

A better question is where is hooman's Hunter going? It's completely out of position to support the rest of us. In fact, the Sylphs could have landed right next to it, in a forest no less, if they had wanted to this past turn.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
You don't need to worry about the TAG, they have no artillery and it's only a per turn thing. I don;t think there are actually any clan weapons that benefit from TAG on the field at all.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gwaihir posted:

You don't need to worry about the TAG, they have no artillery and it's only a per turn thing. I don;t think there are actually any clan weapons that benefit from TAG on the field at all.

The Mars has LRMs. They don't need semi-guided to take advantage of TAG providing an indirect fire spotting bonus. But being semi-guided helps.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oh durr I was thinking of NARC that's exclusive with Artemis ammo.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lord Koth posted:

A better question is where is hooman's Hunter going? It's completely out of position to support the rest of us. In fact, the Sylphs could have landed right next to it, in a forest no less, if they had wanted to this past turn.

The Hunter's been in a bit of a bad spot ever since the sylph's emerged from the hovers. It's worthless up close with one of its two weapons (ie 50% of it's firepower) having a minimum range of 6. It needs long lines of sight to take distance shots if it wants to be useful. I expected to engagement with PTNs force to take place in front of the level 2 hill not behind it.

From where it started this turn there wasn't anywhere it could go to get any shots against either Hephaestus and setting up to try and shoot at the ACE sylphs is a recipe for disaster. I intentionally exposed the flank of the hunter last turn to that light woods in 2408 in the hope that I could bait the sylphs away from our better tanks. It had enough structure left on the left side and front and rear to survive a barrage and be ready to flee out of range again which would buy us more time against the Hephaestuses as well as putting the sylphs out in the open. Sadly, PTN did not take the bait.

There is a good shot from where it's moving to against the Hunchback on the other side of the map. If you want it to move directly up the map to set up for shots against Hephaestus 2 next turn I can do that. However from where it is it will be set up to move directly North on the map and shoot against anything moving around the back.

In terms of strategy I think we need to clear one side and move our forces to support the other. If PTN gets to pick the fights he wants against half our forces we're going to get crushed.

EDIT: Not to say any of the above is sane or intelligent, just that it was my thinking/planning for last turn/this turn.

hooman fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 10, 2015

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Things look rough, but we still have the numbers. Focus on the easy targets and we can do this.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Submitting orders for this:

Movement:
Hunter
Flank Speed
Turn to 2308
Advance to 2109

---------
Tokugawa
Reverse to 3404
Turn to 3305

---------
Partisan
Reverse to 3506
Turn to 3406
Reverse to 3605

////////////////
Shooting

Hunter
Fire everything at Hunchback in 0813 unless the Epona offers an easier shot in which case fire everything at that.

---------
Tokugawa
Fire everything (LBX with cluster ammo) at Hephaestus 1 in 3205

---------
Partisan
Fire all AC5s at Hephaestus 1 in 3205 and
Fire all Machineguns at sylphs in 2807 as secondary target if they move within machine gun range

Losanda
Oct 19, 2002

Norman!
So, what do we do against those remaining Sylphs?

And sorry I didn't move the Challenger back one more. I wanted to get a shot at Heaph2 and estimated Heaph1 would be disabled. Bad one on my part.

Losanda fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 10, 2015

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I think vehicles can stack with and pass through one another, even if they are on opposite teams, so it might not have worked anyway.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Scintilla posted:

I think vehicles can stack with and pass through one another

True

Scintilla posted:

even if they are on opposite teams

False

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Must be a MegaMek bug, because the bot just looooves to park its vees on top of my ones.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Scintilla posted:

Must be a MegaMek bug, because the bot just looooves to park its vees on top of my ones.

You can absolutely enter the same hex as another vehicle. You just can't move through a hex with an enemy unit.

The fluff assumption is that it body-checks you.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Fair enough. As an aside, can vehicles with stunned crews clear weapons malfunctions? I assume not, considering they can't fire.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

So I played my first actual game of BattleTech during a Catalyst demo at PAX East this past weekend. Took a Panther into a battle of medium mechs with three other newbies, two of which we focused on killing each other, and the other rocking a Hunchie. Tried sniping at the latter with my PPC from long range, but eventually the Hunchie caught up with me and blew my big gun off with an AC/20 shot, then a couple turns later, blew up the torso where I was holding my SRM ammo, leaving me weaponless. I was going around trying to get into range for a DFA, but was unsuccessful, until a Clint took pity on me and tried to take me out, his first alpha strike leaving me with a smoking engine and one point of structure in my CT. I was offered the opportunity to upgrade into a medium mech once all my weapons were useless, but I figured I might as well stick it out for the comedy value.

After my Panther finally bit it, I came back in a Wolverine and went for backshots on the Hunchie until I crit his ammo. Then i had to get back to Enforcing, my shift started right around that time. Was a fun experience, and made me want to play a couple more games where available. I now also have a deeper understanding of the rules, which is a good thing for my next go around.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Ok, I am going with this:
and I just submitted these orders:

quote:

Movement:
Partisan

reverse to 0608 (1MP)
facing change to 0609 (2MP)

Tokugawa
Move to 0509 (5MP)
facing change to 0510 (1MP)

Hunter
reverse to 0806 (2MP)
facing change to 0807 (1MP)

Shooting:
Partisan

Hold Fire (crew stunned)

Tokugawa
Fire all weapons (LB 10-X slug) at the Hunchback, unless the Epona moves into a position where it gives me better shots with the pulse lasers, then fire everything at the Epona (the LB 10-X with cluster rounds in that case)

Hunter
Fire all weapons at the Hunchback

As usual, don't take any shots at 12s or above
If anybody sees any glaring errors, feel free to point them out.
I hope Friar John will back me up against the Hunchback as well.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
You might not want to move at all with the Tokugawa and just get a turn of solid shots in, as written you're getting +2 to your own shots with only a +1 for shots against you, not a great trade. Or move the partisan somewhere else and let the tokugawa cruise in to that spot. Hm, that's still a +1 on you for +0 on enemy shots. And if you just turned in place to bring the pulses to bear same issue, but at least you'd have a better chance on the LBX shot.

WELP do what you originally wrote haha, I think that's your best bet.

I'm not sure if PTN accepts conditionals based on "If I have better to hit numbers" but I might be mis-remembering an earlier post about them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gwaihir posted:

I'm not sure if PTN accepts conditionals based on "If I have better to hit numbers" but I might be mis-remembering an earlier post about them.

I vastly prefer actual targets because it cuts down on the amount of work I have to do. To the point where I'm a bit capricious about "best possible target" orders.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It'd be REALLY helpful if I know where people in the west are moving before I submit artillery orders. I'd rather not drop a shell right on top of someone because they moved in a way I didn't expect.

Alternatively I could put some conditionals on those orders, but that starts getting either extremely long, or still rather chancy.

edit: Current thoughts movement-wise are to back the artillery up 1 hex, if this is possible, and the Panther will jump to 3406, facing 3306. This should put both tanks, as well as most possible Sylph locations, in my front/side arcs. Mostly covered from the Zorya too, due to three forests.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 11, 2015

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Here's my orders. I'm getting on the hill and shooting every single thing I can at the Hunchback. Hopefully the Regulator can hit the broad side of a barn this turn.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

It'd be REALLY helpful if I know where people in the west are moving before I submit artillery orders. I'd rather not drop a shell right on top of someone because they moved in a way I didn't expect.

Alternatively I could put some conditionals on those orders, but that starts getting either extremely long, or still rather chancy.

edit: Current thoughts movement-wise are to back the artillery up 1 hex, if this is possible, and the Panther will jump to 3406, facing 3306. This should put both tanks, as well as most possible Sylph locations, in my front/side arcs. Mostly covered from the Zorya too, due to three forests.

...Dammit, meant east. I'm not likely to lob shells onto the other side of the battlefield with the situation as it currently is here.

Losanda
Oct 19, 2002

Norman!
Can someone give me some advice on what to do with the Chall and the Wasp? I really don't want to gently caress up again.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Losanda posted:

Can someone give me some advice on what to do with the Chall and the Wasp? I really don't want to gently caress up again.

Don't worry Losanda you didn't gently caress up buddy! :) It's just a game of us playing shooty tanks against a cool dude on the internet, win or lose make sure you have fun!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Losanda posted:

Truthfully you can't do much with the Challenger. Your crew is stunned so you can't fire, and your movement is now severely limited. Those Sylphs are going to be a pain no matter if they shoot, Microbomb or Swarm you, and in all three cases have a good chance of scoring a total mobility kill. If I were in your position I would move forwards into 3008 to give myself a better firing arc if the worst happened and pray that the dice are merciful. It sucks, but I can't see any other option.

As for the Wasp, you could walk to 3306 and help protect the Long Tom by shooting the Hephaestus. If you want to be clever you can try and give the Hospital some cover by running to 3403 and setting the building hex in 3503 on fire with your Flamer. It'll give off heavy smoke that will make it harder for enemy units to hit it.

Edit: Also, Lord Koth, I think the Hephaestus is in range of your Long Tom's side-mounted machineguns.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 11, 2015

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Scintilla posted:

Edit: Also, Lord Koth, I think the Hephaestus is in range of your Long Tom's side-mounted machineguns.

I actually did remember these. :)

Priority orders are for them to shoot the Sylphs, but they'll shoot the Hephaestus in lieu of that.

Orders to PTN are in already, but haven't decided on artillery targeting yet. Current plans are to either point-blank the shot into the Hephaestus, or shoot at/next to(depending on just what I can directly see) the Zorya, since artillery rounds don't care about cover as long as I can see the hex. Would like to know positioning though before submitting those orders, so I don't end up catching multiple friendlies in the blast, simply because I didn't know they'd be there.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 11, 2015

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Lord Koth posted:

Orders to PTN are in already, but haven't decided on artillery targeting yet. Current plans are to either point-blank the shot into the Hephaestus

Sadly, you can't fire artillery at a target within six hexes. Mostly to keep you from blowing yourself up.

Losanda posted:

You're doing fine, believe me. Just get your orders in, you're twelve hours overdue and I'm not a complete rear end in a top hat. Vehicles are hard, if you do get knocked out without another chance to shoot I'll see you next mission. :shobon:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sadly, you can't fire artillery at a target within six hexes. Mostly to keep you from blowing yourself up.

Is that a mechanical limitation, or a "No one's that crazy" limitation? Because presumably if a death-machine is bearing down with plans to murder, you might opt for firing point blank and praying for a lucky scatter.

• Locked thread