Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I pretty much always have my lights on because people around here are frighteningly inattentive and its not like it hurts anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
http://jalopnik.com/cops-use-road-rage-video-to-track-down-brake-checking-w-1690532761

That was fast.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

This makes me all fizzy :3:

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Bajaha posted:

This makes me all fizzy :3:

Like watching a baby bird take its first steps, or a flower blooming, or waking a kitten up.

Or an rear end in a top hat getting his dues. :smuggo:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

Yeah, really. Are people making the decision whether or not to turn on their lights by looking at their clock instead of, you know, whether it's dark out? That seems like unnecessary work.

Do modern cars have dashboards that light up without the headlights being on? Mine doesn't so it's really hard to drive when it's dark without my lights on because I can't even tell how fast I'm going.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PT6A posted:

Yeah, really. Are people making the decision whether or not to turn on their lights by looking at their clock instead of, you know, whether it's dark out? That seems like unnecessary work.

Never underestimate the amount of effort some people will put in to being stupid. This thread certainly has plenty of proof of that.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Do modern cars have dashboards that light up without the headlights being on? Mine doesn't so it's really hard to drive when it's dark without my lights on because I can't even tell how fast I'm going.

Yes, unfortunately this is becoming more and more common resulting in more people driving around without proper lighting. Either just DRLs or nothing at all. Even my nearly base Kia beater's dash is lit up all day.

I'm generally not one for mandatory equipment, but it's so simple to implement that I'd be all for mandating automatic headlights on anything where the dashboard is permanently lit.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 10, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Mine has a digital dash, so it's always "lit", but it solves this issue by having specific warning lights for sidelights and dipped beam as well as high beam. I also tend to leave it on auto lights most of the time, though I find they tend not to come on when it's just grey and miserable.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

PaganGoatPants posted:

Yes, a lot of them do.

Still not sure how they don't realise there's gently caress-all visibility outside without your lights on, regardless of the instruments being lit.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

PaganGoatPants posted:

Nissans do the opposite. They light up the dash normally and then when you turn the lights on they dim the dash.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Today was a very bad day for traffic. Some observations:

1) If I have to move over in order to exit, and I have the space to do so, I'm using my turn signal to let you know I might be cutting you off a little bit so you don't get freaked out. This is normal, people do it to me all the time, and it's not remotely the same as cutting someone off without warning. Do not, even before I start to move over, lay on the horn and act indignant, when I know perfectly well that you're not actually in my blind spot and I will not hit you if I move over. Then I'm just going to move over and take the spot immediately, and flip you the bird.

2) The must-exit lane is not your personal passing lane. You know the Crowchild bridge gets hosed at this time every day, why are there six different people using the Bow Trail must-exit and then stopping so they can cut back in to the bumper-to-bumper traffic? That's just ignorant.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mooseykins posted:

Still not sure how they don't realise there's gently caress-all visibility outside without your lights on, regardless of the instruments being lit.

Some cars don't have the greatest of headlights, so if you're driving around somewhere that's reasonably well lit it can sometimes be hard to tell that the lights are even on unless you're close enough to something to see a pair of reflections.

I've done it a few times since I tend to use my parking lights to make my car stand out if I'm waiting for someone in a parking lot. Even on the cars that do the dash the right way this turns it on. If the lot's lit up it's possible to forget and end up pulling out on to the road with only four dim corner lights on. I haven't made it more than a few hundred feet like that before realizing myself, but I could see how someone who started in a more built up city and then got on the highway could go miles without realizing.

Also I'm pretty sure GM is still doing DRLs as standard, so that's every single car from one of the big three for the last 20ish(?) years where an inattentive driver will still get light in front no matter what they do but might be running entirely dark from behind.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

2) The must-exit lane is not your personal passing lane. You know the Crowchild bridge gets hosed at this time every day, why are there six different people using the Bow Trail must-exit and then stopping so they can cut back in to the bumper-to-bumper traffic? That's just ignorant.

The Crowchild bridge has gotta be some kind of performance art to see just how bad you can make traffic before people give up. I'm surprised nobody's gotten out of their stopped car and jumped to their death, Falling Down-style.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Crowchild bridge has gotta be some kind of performance art to see just how bad you can make traffic before people give up. I'm surprised nobody's gotten out of their stopped car and jumped to their death, Falling Down-style.

Woah spoilers

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Woah spoilers

Don't worry, spoilers don't do anything when you're stuck in traffic.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The worst part is that I live and work downtown, so I literally never want to use that steaming hunk of poo poo to actually cross the river on Crowchild itself, I always want to take the exit that rude rear end in a top hat fucksticks are using to pass the stopped traffic. And they have that bus lane there (that my friend got a 4-point ticket for using one) that would so easily let you get around and onto the exit itself, and would rarely, if ever, impede an actual bus.

The entire city of Calgary seems like a fiendish plot to bring together the worst urban planners, civil engineers, and drivers to see just how hosed we can make traffic, despite having all the room in the world.

"What if we built a new strip-mall out on the outskirts of town where land is cheap, and we can do things properly, but instead of doing that, we just jam a whole bunch of three-lane stroads with lights all over the place?"

"Gee, sounds like a swell idea! Can we build another giant development that funnels all its traffic through the main stroad and onto a single exit onto an already over-congested highway?"

"Oh yeah! Yeah we can..."

EDIT: I could bitch about the fact that people don't understand what "slower traffic keep right" means too, but I'd rather make the point that, every time people actually follow this rule, traffic Just Works. Everyone's happy. People going faster are happy, people going slower are happy, everyone's happy and safe! It's just so loving simple and it works so well when people actually do it... why is it such a battle?

PT6A fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 10, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PT6A posted:

1) If I have to move over in order to exit, and I have the space to do so, I'm using my turn signal to let you know I might be cutting you off a little bit so you don't get freaked out. This is normal, people do it to me all the time, and it's not remotely the same as cutting someone off without warning. Do not, even before I start to move over, lay on the horn and act indignant, when I know perfectly well that you're not actually in my blind spot and I will not hit you if I move over. Then I'm just going to move over and take the spot immediately, and flip you the bird.

Counterpoint: inserting your car into my "I need this space so I don't run into you" space and then jamming on the brakes is not the best way to make friends, even if you don't hit me.

PT6A posted:

I could bitch about the fact that people don't understand what "slower traffic keep right" means too, but I'd rather make the point that, every time people actually follow this rule, traffic Just Works. Everyone's happy. People going faster are happy, people going slower are happy, everyone's happy and safe! It's just so loving simple and it works so well when people actually do it... why is it such a battle?

Because everyone faster than you is a psycho, remember? That means that when you want to "go fast" (ten under) you need to get into the "fast lane", and the only people you might inconvenience are psychos anyway, not much you can do about that, now is there? :downs:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

wolrah posted:

I'm generally not one for mandatory equipment, but it's so simple to implement that I'd be all for mandating automatic headlights on anything where the dashboard is permanently lit.

This. Even on cars without 24/7 dashlighting, I see people driving without lights. My gauge needles are lit constantly, but the dash backlighting doesn't come on unless the parking lights are on.

In this age where every car has a body control module handling everything, it adds maybe $1-$3 on the assembly line to add automatic headlights, assuming the body control module has been used in models with automatic lights. Even my Saturn econobox has automatic lights; I only touch the headlight switch if it's raining and not quite overcast enough for them to turn on automatically (or if I want to park and turn off the lights while idling; there's an override for the automatic lights on the stalk). Admittedly, that's only on the top of the line model Ion, but the daytime running lights on it aren't bright enough to be confused as headlights (it just lights up the front turn signals at full brightness for DRLs), while a lot of cars opt to run the fog lights, high beams at reduced power, etc.

Equally irritating is the all blue dash on Honda Civics, which kind of makes it hard to see the high beam indicator unless you actually look for it. I'd say at least 75% of the cars I see driving around with high beams in city traffic are 8th and 9th gen Civics. And I don't know if they made it completely impossible to turn off the high beams, but anytime I mention "hey, you're driving with your high beams on" to someone in a Civic, they turn the lights off and drive with just DRLs.

wolrah posted:

Also I'm pretty sure GM is still doing DRLs as standard, so that's every single car from one of the big three for the last 20ish(?) years where an inattentive driver will still get light in front no matter what they do but might be running entirely dark from behind.

They are, but they've used the front turn signals as DRLs for many of their models (and I think they continue to do so).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm typically against government mandates, but I'm all aboard for a requirement for automatic headlights when the dash lights are always on.

I went from a car with automatic lights (and dash lights that weren't on unless at least the parking lights were on) to the Fiesta, which not only had the dash lights on at all times (and the same intensity at all times), but absolutely no indication other than the physical switch position inside the car to tell you if the lights were on or not. I caught myself a few times in my early days in that car running without lights in marginal conditions until I retrained myself to check the switch every time I started the car. To top it off, the switch was in a position that wasn't visible in a normal driving position, you had to either lean way over to see it, or reach down to feel the position. Just dumb to not even have a dash indicator.

The Focus on the other hand, not only has the automatic headlights, but it also has very clear and visible indicators on the dash to show whether the headlights are on, the driving lights are on, and hi-beams. You have to be a complete moron to not know whether your lights are on or off in this car.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
My dad has an I35 with auto headlights and he has them manually turned off.

...pretty sure that's what would happen with most people.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

PaganGoatPants posted:

A lot also light up the dash and turn on the "lights on" light if you just put the parking or fog lights on.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Raluek posted:

Counterpoint: inserting your car into my "I need this space so I don't run into you" space and then jamming on the brakes is not the best way to make friends, even if you don't hit me.

Indeed so, which is why I tried to find a bigger space unsuccessfully, and then turned on my signal with plenty of time before I actually moved over to allow them time to build more space. I know I should've been over earlier and it was indeed a slight imposition for me to do what I did, but the correct response is not to lay on the horn like I'm about to hit you. If I had turned on the signal and immediately started moving over, that's a different story.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I used to have a car with DRLs. First thing I did was pull the DRL fuse.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
What exactly is the use case for driving without lights anyway? Just mandate that car on = lights on and be done with it. People have clearly demonstrated they are not responsible enough to control their own lights. This morning it was super foggy and there was still a ton of silver / grey cars driving around like ghosts with no lights.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The only thing worse than the people who can't figure out that their headlights aren't on, are the people who won't respond to you flashing your lights on and off ten times and then flashing your highbeams over and over.

loving subaru drivers, you're the worst because you don't even have to ever turn your headlights off.

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk

PT6A posted:

I could bitch about the fact that people don't understand what "slower traffic keep right" means too, but I'd rather make the point that, every time people actually follow this rule, traffic Just Works. Everyone's happy. People going faster are happy, people going slower are happy, everyone's happy and safe! It's just so loving simple and it works so well when people actually do it... why is it such a battle?

Let's not forget the pioneering "Deerfoot chop" where I move from the extreme left at 130 across 5 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic because I actually needed 32nd and well gently caress everybody for being on my road.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My DRLs don't light up poo poo. But you kinda gotta figure Acura LEDs and Ford HIDs are bright enough to light up the road for everyone.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

My DRLs are LED and they light up quite a bit of road, but in a completely different, and much dimmer, color than the headlights.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamn. Was just on I-635. 2 car accident had all the lanes blocked, everyone had to detour to the shoulder.

What's the car in front of me do? They come to a complete loving stop to rubberneck, then get pissed when everyone starts laying on their horns.

nitrogen posted:

My dad has an I35 with auto headlights and he has them manually turned off.

...pretty sure that's what would happen with most people.

GM actually did something smart and made it so that you have to manually turn them off every time you start the car.

At least on my car anyway.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

BraveUlysses posted:

loving subaru drivers, you're the worst because you don't even have to ever turn your headlights off.

Our Mini is the same way. My wife turns them off for some reason and I ask her why and she says it is so she doesn't forget to turn them off in our Suzuki Swift, a car she doesn't drive anymore.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yesterday I was going down the road, one lane each direction, center turning lane for both directions. Tight traffic opposite of me, only a smattering of vehicles in my lane.

Someone pulls out from the right making a left turn, sits in the left turn lane waiting for space... right in front of a large truck who was in the middle of changing lanes into the turn lane. So I had to sit through two turns of the light behind me I had just gotten through until there was enough room for both the rear end in a top hat blocking the turning lane and the truck in front of my to complete their movements. And it's a looooooong light.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

El Jebus posted:

Our Mini is the same way. My wife turns them off for some reason and I ask her why and she says it is so she doesn't forget to turn them off in our Suzuki Swift, a car she doesn't drive anymore.

Why would you do that? Couldn't you just turn them from automatic to on and accomplish the same thing? That's what I do, because I like making sure my lights are on when it's dark out (and my car doesn't always agree with me when it's "dark enough" to bother with headlights), and I don't want to get out of the habit in case I'm in a vehicle that doesn't have automatic headlights. Best of both worlds, because, if I forget, my headlights are still probably on.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

BraveUlysses posted:

05+ legacy/08+ impreza lights don't turn off with the car any more. And yeah mine are on most of the time.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

jamal posted:

05+ legacy/08+ impreza lights don't turn off with the car any more. And yeah mine are on most of the time.

That's weird, the '10 WRX stuff I transplanted into the Baja turns off the lights when you take the key out, and I swear my friends '09 2.5i Impreza did it too.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Maybe it's just the legacy? But I thought you have to turn them off with the newer wrx/sti too.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
My van has an option done through the cluster that just turns the lights on when you start the engine, and off when you switch it off. The headlight switch remains in the off position and the light control module just turns them on. You can have just the side/parking lights if you want, by using the switch.

I don't think it matters what system is in place for the lights, you can't fix stupid.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Mooseykins posted:

you can't fix stupid.

Automotive Insanity > These are the people you share a road with: you can't fix stupid

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I was in the "go straight" lane sitting at a red light. The left turn signal turned green for the left turn lane, while the go straight lane remained red. A thousand year old man behind me in a late 90's Buick began honking violently at me , presumably for not running the red light. Not even just a "wake up" tap honk. Violent extensive honking.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I'm pretty happy that Dodge, of all people, has made their newer cars so that the headlights come on with the wipers. How did it take this long for that feature to happen?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

FogHelmut posted:

I was in the "go straight" lane sitting at a red light. The left turn signal turned green for the left turn lane, while the go straight lane remained red. A thousand year old man behind me in a late 90's Buick began honking violently at me , presumably for not running the red light. Not even just a "wake up" tap honk. Violent extensive honking.

I would love to have a button on my dash that I could press to light up my backup lights, just for guys like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

And he wasn't using his front license plate for whatever reason.