Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

dee eight posted:

I would love to have a button on my dash that I could press to light up my backup lights, just for guys like that.

I actually have one of these.

I'm also installing an airhorn on the back for when people walk behind me when i reverse. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

dee eight posted:

I would love to have a button on my dash that I could press to light up my backup lights, just for guys like that.

That is pretty doable with a little extra wiring...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Mooseykins posted:

I actually have one of these.

I'm also installing an airhorn on the back for when people walk behind me when i reverse. :smuggo:
The first part, I have and agree with.

The second, that's way uncool. It's your responsibility as a motorist to yield to pedestrians.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mooseykins posted:

How dare they exercise their right of way!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If I'm already reversing and you walk behind me, it's on you.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Krakkles posted:

The second, that's way uncool. It's your responsibility as a motorist to yield to pedestrians.

PT6A posted:

How dare they exercise their right of way!

The place where it usually happens, they technically don't have right of way, and it's an access road to my old shop. You'd think that a 9'-tall van with hazards lights, 4 reverse lights and 2 flashing lights on the back would be enough of a sign that the loving thing is reversing. Most of the time they walk behind out of arrogance. It would also stop impossibly-oblivious mothers pushing their loving prams behind me when i reverse.

Be a dick to me, i'll be a dick to you. Walk behind an obviously reversing vehicle, and get an obvious warning.

It's not much different to a reverse alarm beeper, it's not like i'm putting spikes on the rear bumper and intentionally reversing into people.

PCOS Bill posted:

Exactly this.

dee eight posted:

Automotive Insanity > These are the people you share a road with: cunts everywhere

:colbert:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

PCOS Bill posted:

While I agree that to do so is pretty dumb, most laws that I'm aware of don't really support that. Reasonably so.

If you put an airhorn on the back of your car specifically to honk at pedestrians exercising their lawful right of way, you're a dick.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Krakkles posted:

If you put an airhorn on the back of your car specifically to honk at pedestrians exercising their lawful right of way, you're a dick.

I'm fine with that.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Krakkles posted:

While I agree that to do so is pretty dumb, most laws that I'm aware of don't really support that. Reasonably so.

In this case he could save someone from getting killed. Whose right and wrong doesn't mean much if one party is killed.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

howling_mad posted:

In this case he could save someone from getting killed. Whose right and wrong doesn't mean much if one party is killed.

Bingo!

I actually had a woman push her kid in a stroller right out behind me once when i was reversing the van. I slammed on the brakes, got out as asked her if she was nuts.

"Well if you run them over it's your fault!"

Apparently it doesn't matter if their kid is crushed by 3 and a half tons of van, as long as there's someone to blame. :cripes:

These people take no notice of reverse lights/hazard lights/reverse alarms/BIG loving VEHCILES GOING BACKWARDS so maybe an air horn will get their attention. They take no notice of the normal horn, and will stop behind you and have a loving conversation with someone while you're trying to get out. You can't watch both mirrors and the reverse camera all at the same time.

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 11, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

howling_mad posted:

If you have time to blow a horn, presumably you also have time to stop. How quickly are you reversing?

I mean, I agree that pedestrians are morons and you shouldn't walk behind a reversing vehicle, but that's not the topic under discussion. Always assume that every other road user (bike, car, pedestrian) is going to be an irredeemable moron, and cover your own rear end, no matter whether you're in a car, walking, or on a motorcycle.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A rear air horn for tailgaters, however...

I mean, my beetle already has a horn from an ambulance on it, so another one on the rear should be easy.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

PT6A posted:

If you have time to blow a horn, presumably you also have time to stop. How quickly are you reversing?

I mean, I agree that pedestrians are morons and you shouldn't walk behind a reversing vehicle, but that's not the topic under discussion. Always assume that every other road user (bike, car, pedestrian) is going to be an irredeemable moron, and cover your own rear end, no matter whether you're in a car, walking, or on a motorcycle.

Valid. He may just be in the habit of blowing the horn while backing up, not sure.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

howling_mad posted:

Valid. He may just be in the habit of blowing the horn while backing up, not sure.

They take no notice if you do that. They take no notice of the hazard lights, the 4 reverse lights and the 2 flashing lights, or the fact a big red van is going backward at them.

An airhorn is hard to miss.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mooseykins posted:

They take no notice if you do that. They take no notice of the hazard lights, the 4 reverse lights and the 2 flashing lights, or the fact a big red van is going backward at them.

An airhorn is hard to miss.

So, to answer the question, do you use the airhorn whenever you back up, or do you do it only when you know people are behind you or about to be behind you? If the latter, you could just stop like a normal person, you know. Yeah, it's lovely and unfair, but you can't just back up wherever and whenever you want when there's things behind you.

You sound like the dude I saw on COPS once who backed into a cop car, and then told the cop, "I guess you didn't see me backing up."

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The other day I was at JUST the wrong angle pulling into a parking spot that I was uncomfortable continuing to pull in, so I started backing up to get a better angle, and a whole family sees me backing up as they're getting out of their car, and just walk right behind my bumper, literally like a foot away, and they all give me the stinkeye like it's my fault I'm in motion.

Naturally they're all insanely fat and heading into the Chinese buffet in a huge hurry.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

PT6A posted:

So, to answer the question, do you use the airhorn whenever you back up, or do you do it only when you know people are behind you or about to be behind you? If the latter, you could just stop like a normal person, you know. Yeah, it's lovely and unfair, but you can't just back up wherever and whenever you want when there's things behind you.

You sound like the dude I saw on COPS once who backed into a cop car, and then told the cop, "I guess you didn't see me backing up."

It's not fitted yet, but will be.

And if i'm reversing and someone walks out behind me, i do stop. I don't just keep going until i crush them and then go "Oh, dang. Guess you didn't see me there?"

People do actually walk behind reversing vehicles without looking/warning and do stop (often for no apparent reason) in your path. So, yes, i would only use it if needed to get some idiot to realise the danger they're in, not just do it willy-nilly or just to piss people off.

Bear in mind, i live/work in London, full of small streets, blind corners and terminal loving idiots.

If you're driving down the street and a pedestrian just steps into your path, do you just stop and wait for them to move, or do you beep them to let them know they're in your way/in danger/an idiot?

Maybe i should fit a Dukes of Hazard-style Dixie horn and just hit it, then run them the gently caress over?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mooseykins posted:

If you're driving down the street and a pedestrian just steps into your path, do you just stop and wait for them to move, or do you beep them to let them know they're in your way/in danger/an idiot?

If I can stop and they have the right of way, I stop and wait for them to pass, of course. That's... how you drive.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

PT6A posted:

If I can stop and they have the right of way, I stop and wait for them to pass, of course. That's... how you drive.

To be honest, i can't be bothered to argue over this anymore.

I'm fitting my rear air horn, if you don't like it, don't come to North London or don't walk behind my van when i'm reversing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

FogHelmut posted:

I was in the "go straight" lane sitting at a red light. The left turn signal turned green for the left turn lane, while the go straight lane remained red. A thousand year old man behind me in a late 90's Buick began honking violently at me , presumably for not running the red light. Not even just a "wake up" tap honk. Violent extensive honking.

I was waiting for a light. The left turn signal turned green ... for the cross street. The person next to me saw the green light out of the corner of her eye, ignored the two red lights directly in front of her, and just went without looking.

(The cross street is at an angle, not exactly perpendicular to the main road, so the light was slightly angled toward us.)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mooseykins posted:

To be honest, i can't be bothered to argue over this anymore.

I'm fitting my rear air horn, if you don't like it, don't come to North London or don't walk behind my van when i'm reversing.

Do you also honk at pedestrians when they're in your way in a crosswalk or on the sidewalk, or is it only when your Very Important Vehicle Which Must Move Right Now is in reverse?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Do you also honk at pedestrians when they're in your way in a crosswalk or on the sidewalk, or is it only when your Very Important Vehicle Which Must Move Right Now is in reverse?

If I'm in motion and you walk in front of me or behind me directly in my path you're the loving idiot in the wrong, I don't see how this is even controversial.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PCOS Bill posted:

If I'm in motion and you walk in front of me or behind me directly in my path you're the loving idiot in the wrong, I don't see how this is even controversial.

Not if you have room to stop, and in an area in which pedestrians have the right of way (coincidentally, 99% co-located with places you're legally allowed to back up). Yes, if you're backing up in some place where pedestrians don't have right-of-way, and one walks behind you, they're in the wrong. Definitely. However, the only place I can think of this happening where you're actually allowed to back up is backing into a parallel parking spot. If you're in a parking lot, or pulling out of a drive, or any other situation I can think of where you have to back up and are legally allowed to do so, pedestrians have the right of way.

Just because you're in motion doesn't mean you get to continue in motion endlessly without interruption. That literally makes no sense.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Not if you have room to stop, and in an area in which pedestrians have the right of way (coincidentally, 99% co-located with places you're legally allowed to back up). Yes, if you're backing up in some place where pedestrians don't have right-of-way, and one walks behind you, they're in the wrong. Definitely. However, the only place I can think of this happening where you're actually allowed to back up is backing into a parallel parking spot. If you're in a parking lot, or pulling out of a drive, or any other situation I can think of where you have to back up and are legally allowed to do so, pedestrians have the right of way.

Just because you're in motion doesn't mean you get to continue in motion endlessly without interruption. That literally makes no sense.

You can have all the right of way in the world, that doesn't put you in the right if you walk directly in the line of a moving vehicle. In a just world, it would make you dead.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Edit: I don't actually care.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PCOS Bill posted:

You can have all the right of way in the world, that doesn't put you in the right if you walk directly in the line of a moving vehicle. In a just world, it would make you dead.

Not if the vehicle can safely stop and has the obligation to do so. If you're at an intersection, and cross traffic has a red light, do you sit and wait at the green until you're quite sure they're fully stopped? No, because they are obligated to stop and allow you to proceed through the intersection. I don't see how this is any different, apart from some people getting quite annoyed when pedestrians delay them. I wouldn't walk right close to someone's bumper if they're in motion.

Besides which, whether or not it's a good idea for a pedestrian to do this is not the issue. The fact is, they are legally allowed to do so, you are obligated to stop for them, and if you don't, you are the one that will be found at fault. Honking at them is pointless. If you have time to lay on the horn, you have time to stop, which is the thing that you must do.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mooseykins posted:

Are you under the impression that i just drive down the loving sidewalk in reverse or are you actually capable of reading what i wrote instead of jumping to conclusions?

I'm honestly curious where you're reversing that pedestrians do not have right-of-way, such that this becomes an actual problem.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Not if the vehicle can safely stop and has the obligation to do so. If you're at an intersection, and cross traffic has a red light, do you sit and wait at the green until you're quite sure they're fully stopped? No, because they are obligated to stop and allow you to proceed through the intersection. I don't see how this is any different, apart from some people getting quite annoyed when pedestrians delay them. I wouldn't walk right close to someone's bumper if they're in motion.

Besides which, whether or not it's a good idea for a pedestrian to do this is not the issue. The fact is, they are legally allowed to do so, you are obligated to stop for them, and if you don't, you are the one that will be found at fault. Honking at them is pointless. If you have time to lay on the horn, you have time to stop, which is the thing that you must do.

You're the only one talking about the law here. You realize this right? It's legal for me to stand next to you on the bus and talk about how I want to cornhole all the bitches around me. That doesn't make it smart or acceptable.

P.S. Jaywalking is a crime.

PCOS Bill fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 12, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PCOS Bill posted:

You're the only one talking about the law here. You realize this right? It's legal for me to stand next to you on the bus and talk about how I want to cornhole all the bitches around me. That doesn't make it smart or acceptable.

And the correct solution to this is to blow an airhorn at people exercising their right of way?

I'm not advocating that pedestrians should walk behind a reversing vehicle, or that cars should drive behind reversing vehicles. Those are bad ideas, it's a better idea to let the reversing vehicle finish. That being said, you shouldn't blow a loving airhorn at them for doing a stupid-but-fully-legal thing.

I'm not really pleased when someone makes me stop quickly because they're crossing in a crosswalk, but I don't honk at them for doing so unless I'm literally unable to avoid hitting them because they're so close. If you're reversing, you should have a stopping distance of perhaps a foot, and be watching your mirrors well enough to know when a pedestrian or vehicle might pass behind you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PCOS Bill posted:

P.S. Jaywalking is a crime.

Again: are you backing up the middle of a street (if so: why)? If so, I agree that people shouldn't jaywalk behind you or in front of you. If, however, you're backing up in a halfway normal situation, such as in a parking lot, or reversing out of a driveway or something, you must give way to pedestrians.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
To hopefully put this ridiculous de-rail to rest, why not just put a back up beeper on the van? Most people (that I've seen anyway) tend to move the gently caress out of the way when they hear those.

Like so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtjdTgRhTC4

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

TWBalls posted:

To hopefully put this ridiculous de-rail to rest, why not just put a back up beeper on the van? Most people (that I've seen anyway) tend to move the gently caress out of the way when they hear those.

Like so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtjdTgRhTC4

As an auto tech, I have been backing out of a bay with that beeper going and had people mindlessly walk into my path even though I was mostly blind to the rear. And most of them never seemed to realize how close to death they were. Don't forget, people walk just as badly as they drive.

I have been riding motorcycles for most of my life, and once heard a phrase that has stuck with me. Being dead right. Meaning, while I was in the right for not giving way when the car merged into my lane without looking, I would still be dead for not getting out of the way.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

PT6A posted:

Again: are you backing up the middle of a street (if so: why)? If so, I agree that people shouldn't jaywalk behind you or in front of you. If, however, you're backing up in a halfway normal situation, such as in a parking lot, or reversing out of a driveway or something, you must give way to pedestrians.

Are you and Krakkles twins or something

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I just had a loving idiot come to a full loving stop on the highway to LET SOMEONE IN FROM AN ON-RAMP, right in front of me. From 60 to 0.

I hate everyone around me and need to get a GoPro or similar for when I'm out on the bike since the dashcam from the car isn't really "all season" ready.

OH I KNOW I'LL GO HAVE A NICE RELAXING RIDE, IT'S A BEAUTIFUL NIGHT.

NOPE.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PCOS Bill posted:

I just had a loving idiot come to a full loving stop on the highway to LET SOMEONE IN FROM AN ON-RAMP, right in front of me. From 60 to 0.

I hate everyone around me and need to get a GoPro or similar for when I'm out on the bike since the dashcam from the car isn't really "all season" ready.

OH I KNOW I'LL GO HAVE A NICE RELAXING RIDE, IT'S A BEAUTIFUL NIGHT.

NOPE.

See? There's a proper reason for an airhorn!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Oh, thank you for that reminder too, I need to order that Stebel Nautilus I've been eyeing for years. My bike's horn makes an adorable but useless toot.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

PT6A posted:

Only if he's going in reverse. :colbert:

PCOS Bill posted:

Oh, thank you for that reminder too, I need to order that Stebel Nautilus I've been eyeing for years. My bike's horn makes an adorable but useless toot.

Look into Amber Valley too, they're supposed to be very good, and louder than a Nautilus.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

PT6A posted:

I'm honestly curious where you're reversing that pedestrians do not have right-of-way, such that this becomes an actual problem.

Pedestrians aren't drivers in the eyes of the law where I live, and because they aren't drivers they cannot have right-of-way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Deedle posted:

Pedestrians aren't drivers in the eyes of the law where I live, and because they aren't drivers they cannot have right-of-way.

Where is this place of sense and clear thinking???