Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Click red boats. Position yourself relative to them so you can shoot their vitals when you click them and they can't shoot yours and win. Actually more complicated than I make it sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Cubey posted:

How is combat in this? I've played a lot of World of Tanks on 360 (yeah, I know) and liked it a lot, and I've always been a giant naval warfare geek so this is intriguing, but I'm having trouble conceptualizing how they'd make a game that's actually fun out of this. It seems like it'd be a 3D version of Scorched Earth without any terrain.

Watch one of the videos in the OP. It looks pretty fun.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cubey posted:

How is combat in this? I've played a lot of World of Tanks on 360 (yeah, I know) and liked it a lot, and I've always been a giant naval warfare geek so this is intriguing, but I'm having trouble conceptualizing how they'd make a game that's actually fun out of this. It seems like it'd be a 3D version of Scorched Earth without any terrain.

Do not be ashamed. I have heard things about Tanks 360 that makes me want to go out and buy an Xbox. The PC version has an absolutely horrendous player base, and all of them have keyboards, and there's friendly fire so if you try to win and they don't want you to win they can always just teamkill you.

Boats on the other hand, your team will kill you frequently but probably only by accident, and if you really want to teamkill someone it's real easy so you get to remove the horrible people before they become a problem, and usually you can set it up that your team will cheer you on. Gosh the Beta Weekends were fun.

Bets on how long I'll last in beta before being permabanned for TKing and general assholery? I'm trying to last at least two months.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Hellsau posted:

Do not be ashamed. I have heard things about Tanks 360 that makes me want to go out and buy an Xbox. The PC version has an absolutely horrendous player base, and all of them have keyboards, and there's friendly fire so if you try to win and they don't want you to win they can always just teamkill you.

Boats on the other hand, your team will kill you frequently but probably only by accident, and if you really want to teamkill someone it's real easy so you get to remove the horrible people before they become a problem, and usually you can set it up that your team will cheer you on. Gosh the Beta Weekends were fun.

Bets on how long I'll last in beta before being permabanned for TKing and general assholery? I'm trying to last at least two months.

It will be my pleasure to help you in your endeavour of pissing off the pubbies and teaching them that Friendly Fire ain't friendly. :clint:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dalael posted:

It will be my pleasure to help you in your endeavour of pissing off the pubbies and teaching them that Friendly Fire ain't friendly. :clint:

All aboard the SS [WAT] - Watch Allied Torps. Torp a friendly, receive 10 in return!

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I torpedoed some nerd in spawn for whining that battleships were underpowered and said something along the lines of "well now your battleship is extra underpowered" and he threatened to report me, but I haven't had any sort of warning. You're probably safe.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

James Garfield posted:

I torpedoed some nerd in spawn for whining that battleships were underpowered and said something along the lines of "well now your battleship is extra underpowered" and he threatened to report me, but I haven't had any sort of warning. You're probably safe.

He was right for saying what he said.
You were right for doing what you did.

Everybody's right! Ain't that great? Got to love games with no mechanics to discourage team killing. It really goes well with my bad temper and lack of patience.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dalael posted:

He was right for saying what he said.
You were right for doing what you did.

Everybody's right! Ain't that great? Got to love games with no mechanics to discourage team killing. It really goes well with my bad temper and lack of patience.

If they did not want us teamkilling, team damage would be disabled. They are encouraging the team killing their albatrosses.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Vengarr posted:

Watch one of the videos in the OP. It looks pretty fun.

Skimmed the OP and somehow missed the video links. My shame is great :sweatdrop:

It does look pretty fun!

Hellsau posted:

The only reason I played on 360 was because my only computer at the time was a laptop from 2010 that kinda struggled to play WoT. By the time I'd built my new gaming PC, I was so deep into the 360 version that I just stuck with it. Also you can still teamkill on 360 by pushing people into water, as I found out accidentally one day when some dimwit was blocking a bridge that 3 more of us were trying to cross. Pushed his rear end off with an IS-8 and killed him.

Also the Xbox playerbase in general is absolutely horrendous, for WoT and otherwise, and instead of typing poo poo out you can instead hear them yell their racial slurs, often over Kinect microphones which sound so amazingly lovely that I can't even believe people are allowed to use them for communication.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Holy poo poo Cubey your avatar could replace half the World of Tanks goons'.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Polikarpov posted:

Trying to guess what paper ships are can be hard.

Attaching a name to a ship that only ever had a barcode on some blueprints should be relatively straightforward though, given that the naming conventions for all classes in all the naval nations is well known

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

NTRabbit posted:

Attaching a name to a ship that only ever had a barcode on some blueprints should be relatively straightforward though, given that the naming conventions for all classes in all the naval nations is well known

You'd think that, but of the historically unnamed Japanese ships (a battleship, a heavy cruiser and a light cruiser) all are named after mountains like heavy cruisers. They also misnamed the Tenryu class for some reason. :spergin:

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Yea the weekend testers get automatics. Granted that is assuming WG doesn't gently caress that up.

The spotting question earlier if a BB fires within a certain range and there isn't any smoke being laid down it will be spotted. Even without firing the min spitting range is basically the same for every ship except destroyers. Ships do disappear every once and a while but they usually reappear fairly quickly when they fire OR just shoot a blind volley because pubbies are awful about changing course and speed.

No the spotting range is very different between classes. Battleships all have about 20km spotting range, cruisers around 10, and destroyers around 5. This makes a big difference since cruisers can actually expect to maneuver closer to the enemy fleet without getting shot.

Of course sky cancer breaks all this so w/e.

I was an alpha tester so if you have a question, shoot away.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Well, battlecruisers were named after mountains too, like the Kongo class and the Amagi class (including Akagi), so maybe it's not a real battleship.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

James Garfield posted:

You'd think that, but of the historically unnamed Japanese ships (a battleship, a heavy cruiser and a light cruiser) all are named after mountains like heavy cruisers. They also misnamed the Tenryu class for some reason. :spergin:

Looking forward to the Lion-class HMS Oliver Cromwell and the Fletcher-class USS Hampton Roads :negative:

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
EU closed beta applications are open. Get yours in if you want to be on the EU server.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Remmon posted:

EU closed beta applications are open. Get yours in if you want to be on the EU server.

Looks closed to me.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

TheFluff posted:

Looks closed to me.
RIP

SalmanBashi
Apr 4, 2007

They were opened for about 15 mins before closing up again, managed to get mine in. Don't know if a million people were waiting to sign up or if there's something else at work.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Can hope for a fluke/test because otherwise :psyduck:

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

what it feels like to play high teir Destroyers :barf:

SalmanBashi
Apr 4, 2007

Apparently they opened again an hour after they first opened so they may be staggering them that way. Clicking sign up all day in your computer chair is the answer.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Any word on NA?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Noon PDT was what I read (1900 gmt) but you never know.

Wouldnt it be simpler to Open for 24 hours and draw a fixed random number from that than this pain in the rear end setup?

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
EU Apps are open right now

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Just wondering... Are the servers open to play, or they are just taking registrations?
I want my botes fix damnit!

E: Are we downloading a new client, or updating the beta weekend client?

Dalael fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 12, 2015

SalmanBashi
Apr 4, 2007

Dalael posted:

Just wondering... Are the servers open to play, or they are just taking registrations?

Looks like they're open, at least I got my client download link and acceptance about 2 hours after original application.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Pimpmust posted:

Noon PDT was what I read (1900 gmt) but you never know.

Wouldnt it be simpler to Open for 24 hours and draw a fixed random number from that than this pain in the rear end setup?

The blog says "before noon PDT", so sometime in the next 3.5 hours. They just show up on the main world of warships website I guess?

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Fart Car '97 posted:

The blog says "before noon PDT", so sometime in the next 3.5 hours. They just show up on the main world of warships website I guess?

6.5 hours

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Dalael posted:

E: Are we downloading a new client, or updating the beta weekend client?

New client if you used the weekend one- although if you had the alpha client it'll update.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Goast posted:

6.5 hours

West coast east coast same thing

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
My suggestion is download the client again if you have not and have the resources. Out of curiosity I downloaded and installed it yesterday afternoon for shits & giggles and it turns out that an issue I was having with the minimap as well as another unrelated glitch is gone. I am only throwing the guess that since I have been using the patched Alpha client this whole time something may have happened causing this and the new download does not have the same issue. TLDR just download the latest version.

We all know how terrible the general chat can be.. avoid it, I know the temptation is there but please for the love of everything that is holy save your sanity and don't join the general chat. It is nothing but stupid douchegobblers who cannot take the time to be arsed to read the forum and know the wipe already occurred, they received all the credits, piasters (gold) and experience after the wipe and if they are going to receive a premium ship for participation the magic number was 100 battles before March 2 to get the camo Iwaki. It was a broken record of this same question all day and there were a couple that would not get it and you would have to explain it five ways and still they were not understanding it.

Get into TS to the botes channel, playing this in a two or three man division using coordinated play can practically guarantee victory since these shitters for the most part do not play as a team and with the influx of people coming in with beta that have no clue what the gently caress is going on you can absolutely rear end rape teams. I created a looking for group lobby, two division channels with a 4 player max and one super division for sync drops. The super division should be viable since the server pop is so low you stand a good chance of really loving wrecking poo poo with two goon divisions. I limited the division to four in case you are a solo and looking to get into a division and want to drop into the channel. I am trying to avoid having ten people sitting in one channel where there is an active division playing. It can be distracting to the guys playing and sometimes they don't want to say get the gently caress out please I am trying to concentrate on killing bads you shitlord.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 12, 2015

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
God I'd expect a coordinated division of destroyers can unleash an absolute poo poo storm of torpedoes. Finally the IJN's torpedo doctrine will have its time in the sun! :japan:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Polikarpov posted:

God I'd expect a coordinated division of destroyers can unleash an absolute poo poo storm of torpedoes. Finally the IJN's torpedo doctrine will have its time in the sun! :japan:

I really want to try coordinating a mixed platoon of destroyers and kitakami. Use the smoke to get the torp wall into range safely.

Also battleship and cruiser mix to mess with what I hear is the meta. BB protects the cruisers from BBs, cruisers protect it from the torpedo stuff.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 12, 2015

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Destroyers are pretty bad right now due to a torp Nerf.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
That smoke wall is brutal. Last night the last match I played in a 9v9 random the other team had one USN DD lay down a smoke screen and he sat in it launching wave after wave of torps while our three Kongo's drove right into it like moths to a flame. He managed to stay undetected until the smoke cleared and killed two, severely damaging another. One of them came into the mix full health. By the time the smoke cleared he had ducked behind an island that was being used for cover as well and he launched one last salvo killing the remaining Kongo. loving brilliant if you ask me. Two DD's using islands and laying smoke vomiting torpedoes with another just firing away with support would be insane.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Larf, I submitted my beta application like a couple hours ago, and a moment ago I came home from grocery shopping, checked my email, and welp

quote:

Congratulations, you have been accepted to the Closed Game Test. As a Closed Test participant, you will now take command of a fleet of legendary vessels and and hone your tactical skills in intense naval combat.

Yay botes :toot:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Congrats! Welcome aboard thailor!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

demonR6 posted:

That smoke wall is brutal. Last night the last match I played in a 9v9 random the other team had one USN DD lay down a smoke screen and he sat in it launching wave after wave of torps while our three Kongo's drove right into it like moths to a flame. He managed to stay undetected until the smoke cleared and killed two, severely damaging another. One of them came into the mix full health. By the time the smoke cleared he had ducked behind an island that was being used for cover as well and he launched one last salvo killing the remaining Kongo. loving brilliant if you ask me. Two DD's using islands and laying smoke vomiting torpedoes with another just firing away with support would be insane.

The best thing is that the intersection of destroyers in smoke and enemy planes over them seems to be way underutilized, so it's still priceless to do to some poor smug DD driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Polikarpov posted:

For US destroyers, did Wargaming factor in the terribleness of the MK 8 and 14 torpedoes?