Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I need to know- just how viable is a Good Necromancer playthrough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Quixzlizx posted:

How exactly did they turn Rome 2 around? I'm not being facetious, as I got burned on a preorder because my friend was hyped as hell about it and then forgot about it. Did they turn it around to "kind of a retread, but at least it isn't a buggy trainwreck," or does it competently move the formula forward from previous TW games?

It's now a playable game from start to finish (in SP at least, MP continues to be a roll of the dice in TW) and the mechanics are enough of a change from both Shogun 2 and Rome 1 that it's worth playing now. Atilla as noted also turned out really good, though that's less surprising given that it's basically the Napoleon to Rome 2's Empire.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

As cool as the feature list is, are there going to be changes to the UI or enhancements to the player experience? I can't even remember them anymore since it's been so long, but playing the game just feels like a slog and I gave up fighting against it a while ago.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Looking real good, $20 seems pretty reasonable for the sheer amount of content this one is adding. Can't wait to see what's in the patch notes.

Something I'm not clear on, do the races have relations with each other, ie you make friends with Elves, the Orcs will hate you? If so, do they have starting default relations like AoW1?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

As cool as the feature list is, are there going to be changes to the UI or enhancements to the player experience? I can't even remember them anymore since it's been so long, but playing the game just feels like a slog and I gave up fighting against it a while ago.

There are various tweaks to the UI and quality of life improvements, I couldn't even rattle them all off at this point but they should be in the beta patch.

quote:

Entirely doable, if only because none of your abilities or units ping as inherently evil. Can't really say anything else without talking about the Necromancer in depth.

quote:

Something I'm not clear on, do the races have relations with each other, ie you make friends with Elves, the Orcs will hate you? If so, do they have starting default relations like AoW1?

Race Relations only relate to players. So Orcs don't automatically have any beef with elves, but they might have beef with you if you've been sucking up to elves and keeping the Orcs down.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Oh hey, the Necromancer class page is up too!

http://ageofwonders.com/classes/necromancer/

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Nobody will ever go hungry again, also, Grandma is back!

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 11, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Shut up and take my money

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Only $20? That is a steal for what looks to be almost a new game worth of changes and additions. One more month to wait...

I'm so excited for the diplomacy victory condition. Not because I want to use it, but because I know so many of my friends will, and that means I can set their monuments to happiness on fire. I wonder if the AI will try to use this victory condition? Perhaps that is worked into the AI updates and playstyles? It understood the seals victory fairly well, but that wasn't too different from standard play. This one is a bit more subtle.

This month is going to go by really slowly.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 11, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

This month is going to go by really slowly.

The beta patch should ease the pain a little. (I don't know when, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't this week.)

Really want to talk about the new dwelling but I'm sure it'll be a dev journal at some point.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yesss March of the Troll King

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

madmac posted:

Got it in one. :)

Though yeah, campaign spoilers and a new forum background, too. Plus some of that sweet new terrain stuff they put in for Artic/Desert, and well, you might want to pause at a few points in that video. Age of Death is a thing.

Man, I thought Golden Realms was a good deal, but $20 bucks is a loving steal for this much new content.

What I've seen of the campaign so far is pretty sweet, too. I like it better then the Golden Realms campaign which was better then the original campaign, so yeah.

Where do I send all my money?

So far this, and Blizzard games are the only things I'm willing to pre-purchase at full price.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

madmac posted:

Oh hey, the Necromancer class page is up too!

http://ageofwonders.com/classes/necromancer/

So, about that Animate Ruins spell: Plunder that conquered city you don't really want, animate it, enjoy that gold income bonus because they are ghouls. So rich, and so delightfully evil...

fspades fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 11, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
That is how Necromancers roll. Good, Evil, you're just a dick.

If the hallmark of late game Theocrat play is rezzing all your dudes after the fight, then for Necromancers it's raising the other guys dudes after the fight and putting them to work.

Some Dev notes from the official forums:

quote:

Re: Campaign – There’s one mission with a Tigran Leader.
Its a meaty 3 mission campaign with 3 possible endings.

The beta for 1.5 is nearing completion, we’re sorting out some last show stoppers before we can go live in the coming days.

madmac fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 11, 2015

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
This expansion is only $20? I can only imagine they came to the conclusion that they couldn't price it much higher than golden realms or else the forces of steam sales DLC would rise up and say that no, you can't charge expacs like it's 2005. Or maybe this is the last expansion and they want to end it big. :ohdear:

It's shaping up to have significantly more content than xcom enemy within and that was good enough to warrant never playing xcom without it. I'd be more than happy to pay $40 for eternal lords. Gerblyn, why is triumph underselling themselves? :argh:

I might be the teeniest bit excited, it's just so drat neat

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I can't believe this expansion is only $20. If people on the forums still complain about getting ripped off imma be pissed.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Arrrthritis posted:

I can't believe this expansion is only $20. If people on the forums still complain about getting ripped off imma be pissed.

When you work in customer service long enough, you learn that some customers are literally impossible to satisfy/make happy. And it's obnoxious as gently caress.

Anyway yeah you guys are really seemingly underpricing this one. Cheers! I guess it can be considered a marketing expense on your part or something? I have no idea.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Can we buy it yet???

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Voyager I posted:

Can we buy it yet???

Take my money Gerblyn.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Its only $20 for this much stuff?! :magical:

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I missed the random events from Master of Magic. My favorite was the one that completely shorted out everyone's mana income and made you rely on your mana stockpile to keep spells going. That was always tense, deciding which spells to keep running and which to abort. Hope it makes it into AoW.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

PFlats posted:

I missed the random events from Master of Magic. My favorite was the one that completely shorted out everyone's mana income and made you rely on your mana stockpile to keep spells going. That was always tense, deciding which spells to keep running and which to abort. Hope it makes it into AoW.

*innocent whistling*

Random events are pretty cool. I've already forgotten what it's like to play without having them on max all the time.

Word to the wise, take a careful look at the game settings before you join a PBEM game, or you'll end up like me, bringing a (Frostling) Diplomancer Rogue into a cramped settler start map and wanting to shoot yourself every time you load up a turn.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Its on for real now. Open Beta Release!

http://ageofwonders.com/open-beta-for-update-v1-5-kicks-off/

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The race changes LOOK SO GOOD.

I was worried all the new races would have the fun gimmicks but this is awesome.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Ahhh yeeeees. :getin:

Bwahaha:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 12, 2015

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The other day I noticed that my hero couldn't use all her special abilities in combat because they took up more than two rows. Any work around for that?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

bamhand posted:

The race changes LOOK SO GOOD.

I was worried all the new races would have the fun gimmicks but this is awesome.

For reals, there was a point in the beta where we were all like "Guys, I think we've reached peak awesome here. If we try to squeeze in one more awesome thing the whole expansion might explode and kill us all."

quote:

The other day I noticed that my hero couldn't use all her special abilities in combat because they took up more than two rows. Any work around for that?

I want to say there's a little arrow button on the action interface you can use to cycle through abilities but I haven't been in that situation for a long time.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Yesssssss so good. I also like that treasure pickups have some guards now. Hireable heroes seem to have thematic special abilities too, like Berte the iron willed having iron heart and mind control immunity. Ah, only the more powerful pickups have guards, basic resources are still free to be nabbed by aggressive scouts. Nice.

It is amazing how much the unit tweaks add, from adding abilities like orc war cry to changing attacks with stuff like black bolts on orc priests.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 12, 2015

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

madmac posted:

I want to say there's a little arrow button on the action interface you can use to cycle through abilities but I haven't been in that situation for a long time.

Yeah I looked around and didn't see one, just two buttons that both cycled through my units with action points.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I really regret buying this game on GoG, I would have just bought it on Steam if I knew GoG wasn't going to get any sort of beta patches or anything. Ah well, not like I don't have asstons of other things to play for the next month.

Anyway! So it seems like the new Draconian gimmick is they're super good for sieges and basically don't have to worry about walls very much? Sounds pretty good to me, despite how much I love to build catapults and cannons.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Can some saintly soul post the major changes to races here? I'm desperately trying to have a productive work from home day.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Hireable heroes seem to have thematic special abilities too, like Berte the iron willed having iron heart and mind control immunity.

Yeah, this was the hero thing I was dropping completely unsubtle hints about earlier and it owns. The special starting perk can be anything from special abilities to free class skills to free cross-class skills to stat bonuses or even items! This is why it helps to know the default stats and starting perks like the back of your hand.

Also, if you select "I need a different type hero" you'll get a random hero of a different class show up next turn. You can only do this as many times as you can normally tell a hero to "Hang on, I'll have the money tomorrow, swearsies!" before they give up on your broke rear end and wander off.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
I know dwarves get a 50 gold cheaper siege workshop, so it costs as much as other people's basic barracks. This means a dwarf dreadnought can just skip a barracks and go straight to spamming trebs. Grab repair machine as an early skill and just roll your next door neighbor's capital with a sea of trebs while he is toodling around building basic archers.

I am really loving the changes to specialization skills to make them more meaningful by giving them passive immediate changes to your empire just by picking them. Being able to change nodes to your element if you pick an elemental mastery is extremely cool.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 12, 2015

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Race Changes:

quote:

Draconians

Draconian Crusher, Draconian Berserker and Draconian Assassin now have Improved Wallclimbing (no attack/defense penalty when stood on walls)
Draconian Charger now has Lesser Flying, and can fly during tactical combat (but not on the world map)
Draconian Charger now has 30 move points (was 28) and costs 55 gold (was 50)
Draconian Raptor attack is now 6 physical, 6 fire (was 12 physical)
Draconian Succubi now has 10 physical, 3 fire attack (was 11 physical) and 60% Frost Weakness (was 20% frost weakness)
Draconian Apprentice now 105 gold, 25 mana (was 100 gold, 35 mana)
Draconian Apprentice now has Fire Bolts instead of Fairy Fire
Draconian Mounted Archers now have 6 physical, 6 fire melee strength (was 10 physical)

Dwarves

Dwarf Axemen, Dwarf Crusaders and Dwarf Phalanxes now have Defensive Strike (Once per battle strike that allows a unit to both attack and guard in the same turn)
Dwarf Firstborn and Dwarven Miner now have Shatter Strike (+5 damage versus Frozen, Petrified and Stone Skin units)
Dwarf Crusader now costs 82g (was 77)
All Dwarfs are now called Urist Mc<foo> by the Dev team.
Dwarf Phalanx now costs 159g (was 154g)
Dwarf Evangelist and Apprentice now have Armored and defense 11 (was 10)
Dwarf Shaman now has Armored and defense 13 (was 12)
Dwarf Axemen now have Demolisher (+4 damage versus machines and obstacles)

Goblins

Goblin Big Beetle attack is now 11 physical 6 blight (was 14 physical 3 blight)
Goblin Skewer is no more, replaced by the Goblin Butcher (tier 2 pikemen with life stealing)
Goblin Shaman now costs 126g, 36m (was 117g, 27m). Has +2 blight damage and inflict noxious vulnerability.
Goblin Succubus now has 10 physical, 3 blight attack (was 11 physical), has no fire resistance
Goblin Marauders and Big Beetles now have Demolisher (+4 damage versus machines and obstacles)
Goblin Mounted Archers now have forestry

Halflings

Halfling Pony Riders inadvertently received twice the intended amount of melee physical attack upgrades on medal upgrades. This has been corrected.
Halfling Pony Rider now has 65 hitpoints (was 55)
Brew Brother melee attack is now 11 (was 7)
Halfling Jesters now get Inflict Scorching Heat on their ranged attacks on Gold, because the Explosive Death doesn’t actually do anything if you keep the unit alive.
Halfling Bard now has a Slingshot instead of a Light Crossbow.
Halfling Monster Hunter now has fireworks instead of a Light Crossbow, costs 80 gold, 25 mana (was 70 gold, 20 mana)
Halfling Exalted now have (base) 50 hitpoints (was 60) like the Exalted of other races.
Halfling Monster Hunters now have (base) 10 defense (was 11) like the Monster Hunters of other races.
They’ve had me trapped down here for weeks, forcing me to write patch notes for them.
Halfing manticore rider now gets Fast Healing on Veteran (was a duplicate of inflict crippling wounds)

High Elves

High Elf Storm Sisters now have Total Awareness (Cannot be flanked from behind and can do attacks of opportunity on hexes behind themselves)
High Elf Apprentice now has Total Awareness, 40% Blight Weakness (was 20%), costs 100 gold, 20 mana (was 90g, 25m)
High Elf Evangelist now has Total Awareness, 40% Blight Weakness (was 20%), costs 155 gold, 30 mana (was 150g, 30m)
High Elf Shaman now has Total Awareness, no Blight Protection (was 40%) costs 135 gold, 30 mana (was 130g, 30m)
High Elf Succubus now has Total Awareness, no Blight Protection (was 60%)
High Elf Union Guard now does 9 physical 2 shock damage (was 11 physical). Costs 60g (was 50g)

Humans

Human Knight now has Devastating Charge (extra +4 damage when charging)
Human Evangelist now has Spirit Ray, costs 160gold 40mana (was 150g, 30m)
Human Mounted Archer have Blessed Arrow, costs 110g (was 100g)
Added +5 to the human city production bonus (+10 in total now)
Humans no longer dislike Arctic
Humans no longer like Water.

Orcs

Orc Spearman now has Armor Piercing on Gold
Orc Spearman, Orc Greatsword, Orc Black Knight, Orc Berserker, Orc Exalted and Orc Impaler now have War Cry (once per battle, self buff that increases melee damage)
Orc Shock Trooper now has Guard Breaking (Melee attacks from this unit stop target units from guarding)
Orc Exalted now costs 165g (was 160)
Orc Berserker now costs 80g (was 75g)
Orc Hunter now has melee attack 11 (was 8), Shield, Throw Javelin (strength 15), loses Shoot Bow. Costs 80g (was 75g)
Orc Razerbows now have Razor Projectiles instead of Inflict Bleeding Wounds
Orc Priest now has Black Bolts (was Poison Bolts)

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
They lure you in with fun content, then trap you for weeks writing patch notes huh?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Carnalfex posted:

I am really loving the changes to specialization skills to make them more meaningful by giving them passive immediate changes to your empire just by picking them. Being able to change nodes to your element if you pick an elemental mastery is extremely cool.

Is there a list of these anywhere? The patch notes only seemed to mention changes to existing skills.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Warlords got a class scout unit, built at cities. Imgur is crapping out so:

Human Scout
Tier 1, Unit - Irregular
35 HP 32 Movement 7 DEF 7 RES
Melee Strike 9 DMG
Sprint

Costs 30 gold to build.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Is there a list of these anywhere? The patch notes only seemed to mention changes to existing skills.

Well it probably should but...Tome of Wonders is your friend, I gues.

I can tell you the elemental specializations give you +5 mana for same element nodes, and the mastery level lets you cast a spell that converts neutral mana nodes to your sphere and gives you +5 Research Points as a kicker.

Edit: Warlord Scouts are surprisingly effective. That one change alone has made Warlord a totally viable class in multiplayer.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Glad you guys like the changes! Here is a condensed version of the patch notes, listing the most important balance changes, courtesy of my girlfriend:

Classes

New abilities for class units. Lots of spells effecting enemy cities(Sunburst,Forge Blast etc.) are buffed and cause major happiness penalties against cities race.

-----------------ARCHDRUID-----------------
* Shamans now have Awaken Spirit ability, grants one animal +500 morale and +3 melee damage until the end of combat
* Call Beast Horde now summons 2-3 animals per turn instead of 1. For the Horde!

-----------------DREADNAUGHT-----------------
* Musketeers and Cannons must now reload between shots. Reloading takes one action point, and ends the unit’s turn. Engineer’s rapid reload will also reload a unit.
* Golem is now Tier 2, stats and price have been adjusted to match
* Engineer now has the Maintenance ability, it will heal all Machines in the same stack as it for 3 hitpoints per turn on the world map. Also gains Flash Grenade ability

-----------------ROGUE-----------------
* Rogues now have a new skill called “Dark Pact” which is unlocked by researching Produce Shadow Stalker. Researching this skill buffs all Bards, Succubi, Assassins and Shadow Stalkers to help the Rogue in the late game.
* Age Of Deception now only applies its Empire Happiness penalty to players the caster is at war with.

-----------------SORCEROR-----------------
* Wisps, Node Serpents, Fantastic Creatures and Phantasm Warrior all have increased mana upkeep
* Dome of Protection now protects stacks stood in the city as well as the city itself from magic(Players can enchant through their own cities throne DoP).
* Chaos Rift now expires after running for 4 rounds.

-----------------THEOCRAT-----------------
* Shrine Of Smiting now has Holy Relic ability, and heals 2HP per turn on the world map for each devout unit in the same stack as it is.
* Armageddon now only affects the players the caster is at war with.

-----------------WARLORD-----------------
* Warlords have a new Scout unit, which can be built from any city and is always researched when the game starts. It is a melee only irregular with swimming.
* All Manticore riders have higher costs, gain special abilities depending on race.

Races

Increased Race Diversity, lots of new skills.

-----------------DRACONIANS-----------------
* Draconian Crusher, Draconian Berserker and Draconian Assassin now have Improved Wallclimbing (no attack/defense penalty when stood on walls)
* Draconian Charger now has Lesser Flying, and can fly during tactical combat (but not on the world map)

-----------------DWARVES-----------------
* Dwarf Axemen, Dwarf Crusaders and Dwarf Phalanxes now have Defensive Strike (Once per battle strike that allows a unit to both attack and guard in the same turn)
* Dwarf Firstborn and Dwarven Miner now have Shatter Strike (+5 damage versus Frozen, Petrified and Stone Skin units)

-----------------GOBLINS-----------------
* Goblin Skewer is no more, replaced by the Goblin Butcher (tier 2 pikemen with life stealing)
* Goblin Marauders and Big Beetles now have Demolisher (+4 damage versus machines and obstacles)

-----------------HALFLINGS-----------------
* Halfling Bard has Slingshot instead of Light Crossbow, Halfling Monster Hunter has Fireworks instead of Light Crossbow.

-----------------HIGH ELVES -----------------
* Storm Sisters, Apprentice, Evangelist, Shaman and Succubus now have Total Awareness (Cannot be flanked from behind and can do attacks of opportunity on hexes behind themselves)

-----------------HUMANS-----------------
* Human Mounted Archer have Blessed Arrow, costs 110g (was 100g)
* Humans have increased production on cities (+10 in total now)

-----------------ORCS-----------------
* Orc Spearman, Orc Greatsword, Orc Black Knight, Orc Berserker, Orc Exalted and Orc Impaler now have War Cry (once per battle, self buff that increases melee damage)
* Orc Shock Trooper now has Guard Breaking (Melee attacks from this unit stop target units from guarding)

Balance

Specializations Balance

* Air: Zephyr birds now have melee attack 9 (was 7) and Wing Beat. Researching it is cheaper
* Creation: Condemn Killing is now effective on everybody, not only Devout units.
* Wild: Swap Location no longer affects heroes
* Wild: Summon Lesser Elemental can no longer be a starting skill (tier 4 research now)

Balance Overall

* Multiple items from the main game and Golden Realms have been rebalanced by altering their effects, values and categorizing them into different tiers.
* Units will no longer get XP from using Sprint, Phase, Shadow Step and War Cry
* Inns that have not had their unit lists customized in the level editor will now start off with only tier 1 units and unlock a new tier every 10 rounds. When a new tier is unlocked, the inn’s unit list will be completely refreshed.
* Killing or retreating a Hero will now automatically cancel any global tactical combat spells they had cast
* Leader’s now respawn with full movepoints once they return from the void
* If a unit flees a battle, it will now lose all the XP it earned during that battle.

Misc. Improvements

* Casting Catalyst, Treasure Chest, Production Resource, Knowledge Scroll, Columns of Champions and Sage Tent pickups now have defenders when placed by the random map generator
* If there’s more than 1 hero in an army, then the hero with the most army boosting abilities will go first. Leaders will always lead their own stacks, however.
* Leader Editor now shows details on the Class, Race and Specialisations you choose
* Reduced the skillbook’s random poolsize to make skill picking more predictable
* AI settling code improved
* Summon spells can now target forts as well as cities and heroes
* Rewards for clearing high-level sites are better
* Added support for the tactical AI to use teleportation abilities

Bugfixes

* Steal Enchantment no longer works on Overload, Savage Rage, Warped Equipment, Webbed, Deteriorated and Entangled.
* Independent AI no longer spends skill points of recruitable heroes
* If a stack starts its turn on a visitable structure (like a shrine) when the structure finishes recharging, that structure will automatically trigger on the stack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Putting a PBEM game up:

Name: Thy's Test Game

Pass: lljk (because of course it is :v: )

Random map, 8 players, large size.

• Locked thread