Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I was told bamboo boards were bad for knives. As I understand it as long as you clean them properly it basically doesn't matter for hygiene whether you use plastic or wood, but do throw out and replace the plastic boards if they get really beat up.

We made tacos tonight. Nothing fancy but we made corn tortillas for the first time. This Rick Bayless book has been really great -- plenty of people or books could have told me how to make corn tortillas, but he hits all the details. Also the chiles in the black bean filling were hot enough that the tomatoes from the salsa, which had a bit of kick to it, seemed to actually make it less spicy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

guppy posted:

I was told bamboo boards were bad for knives. As I understand it as long as you clean them properly it basically doesn't matter for hygiene whether you use plastic or wood, but do throw out and replace the plastic boards if they get really beat up.

We made tacos tonight. Nothing fancy but we made corn tortillas for the first time. This Rick Bayless book has been really great -- plenty of people or books could have told me how to make corn tortillas, but he hits all the details. Also the chiles in the black bean filling were hot enough that the tomatoes from the salsa, which had a bit of kick to it, seemed to actually make it less spicy.

Which book do you like? I don't have many Mexican cookbooks, and I generally like Bayless's recipes and style.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
I posted a food safety question in the S-V thread that I was hoping one of you regulars here might be able to answer: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573640&pagenumber=77#post442517844

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Which book do you like? I don't have many Mexican cookbooks, and I generally like Bayless's recipes and style.

Authentic Mexican, which believe was recommended here.

Please also enjoy this article about what a cool guy Rick Bayless is. http://www.eater.com/2014/9/25/6843585/rick-bayless-the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

guppy posted:

Authentic Mexican, which believe was recommended here.

Please also enjoy this article about what a cool guy Rick Bayless is. http://www.eater.com/2014/9/25/6843585/rick-bayless-the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world

However, his brother Skip Bayless is the worst.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My personal hell is having to listen to Rick Bayless and Pati Jinich's voices

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

I was hoping for fresh. Is that even a thing, or do people just use the canned/packeted stuff?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Test Pattern posted:

I was hoping for fresh. Is that even a thing, or do people just use the canned/packeted stuff?

If you live in an area where squid are fished, sure, you can get fresh. Still attached to the cephalopod. If not, you might be able to find it or order it at a decent fishmonger.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:argh: Everyone is stealing my ideas. First the bulgogi taco truck appears by the library and now there's a goddamn frite shop just up the block.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
This forum needs more drunk posting, I'm rather enjoying myself right now.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm a bottle in to some reserve bonarda, doing math homework. The bonarda is good but weird, like not sweet and well oaked Concord. The polynomials are also weird, but not good, and the greatest common factors are hiding from me.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I cracked open Maker's Mark about 10 minutes ago, so I'm not at the drunkposting stage yet.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I did home made cottage cheese. It is awesome with maple syrup.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I'm 3 bourbs deep and I put a crabadilla in the waffler.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I trust cooks illustrated with their sciencey poo poo more or less, and I've read several articles they've done on wood vs plastic sanitation. The results are always the same - neither is really meaningfully better or worse, assuming you're scrubbing them both down with soap and giving them a proper wash.

I use wood. non-bamboo.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Homebrew elderflower saison after a couple whiskey sours.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

i use wood and bamboo what now

also plastic

only lovely knives on the bamboo

I'm in kilchoman & narwhal territory

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Hauki posted:

I'm in kilchoman & narwhal territory

Does that mean you're in a region that has to pay $20 for chicken fingers?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Three triple-cut, bone-in pork chops for the grill tomorrow. I may have underestimated just how big these are. Came out to just around 24oz a chop.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
An acceptable size

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

Three triple-cut, bone-in pork chops for the grill tomorrow. I may have underestimated just how big these are. Came out to just around 24oz a chop.

:eyepop:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Casu Marzu posted:

I got hungry just looking at this.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

contrapants posted:

I got hungry just looking at this.

Same. I hope we see the after-grilling beauty shots, too.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
I'm telling you, rub them thoroughly with salt and sugar at least 8 hours before you want to cook them and let them sit uncovered on a rack in the fridge so air circulates both sides. reverse sear: 225ºF for...with that size, maybe 45 or so? probably no more than 60. i do my 1" bone in chops for ~25

THEN brush them with ghee and toss on a full blast ultra hot grill or pan a couple minutes a side

chimichurri is the ideal sauce there but some sort of honey mustard, bbq, or this sauce that's basically bbq sauce with applesauce mixed in would all be great

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yeah, I'd brine the poo poo out of those, and then basically smoke them on the grill with offset heat at around 200deg. Then finish hot over some ranging coals for a very short time and rest.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

mindphlux posted:

yeah, I'd brine the poo poo out of those, and then basically smoke them on the grill with offset heat at around 200deg. Then finish hot over some ranging coals for a very short time and rest.

That's the plan. Slow roast on the grill for like an hour then hit it on raging hot coals for like 5 minutes.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I'd brine them and stuff them. Apples, onion, mushrooms, maybe something nutty and bread crumbs.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Very Strange Things posted:

I'd brine them and stuff them. Apples, onion, mushrooms, maybe something nutty and bread crumbs.

For sure, those chops definitely need to be thicker before I'd consider eating them.

(walnuts)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ehh, I don't really like stuffed pork chops.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

Casu Marzu posted:

Picky eater spotted

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Casu Marzu posted:

What if they're stuffed with living maggots?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

contrapants posted:

Free protein. :colbert:

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

contrapants posted:

I prefer to get my porkchops from a butcher, not a dumpster.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
It's a reference to casu's name. If anyone's confused.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My 24 pound pizza steel arrived today. Gonna pizza so hard this weekend.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You're an rear end in a top hat for making me look up what pizza steel is, find a comprehensive article and get hungry before going to bed. :argh:

Please post pictures when you get to it

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Skinny King Pimp posted:

I prefer to get my porkchops from a butcher, not a dumpster.

naturally aged, though

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Casu Marzu posted:

naturally aged, though

as opposed to the ones supernaturally aged by the bad cups at the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

CommonShore posted:

as opposed to the ones supernaturally aged by the bad cups at the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

fastest way to make jerky, I suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

RedTonic posted:

Same. I hope we see the after-grilling beauty shots, too.

ch-check it out