Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Is Gothloli-sama still available? Can I call dibs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Aoi and me got married last tuesday. We had a lovely small private wedding.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Where did you guys see the Exodus OVA? I didn't see it on CR, and I can't find fansubs either.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Nabe-P and I live together in a lighthouse

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
uh oh, the goons are going into heat. I didn't realize it was that time of year already. Better get out the spray bottle.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
I missed the running of the goons.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I don't want a waifu. I want Myamori and Yano as colleagues. They would improve working conditions massively.

I second this.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah, I would like these kind of people as colleagues. Earnest workers who are also able to have some fun.

Although, this just came out about what it's actually like working in the industry. Does make Shirobako seem very idealistic, despite the hardships it depicts:

"For a salary that’s been as low as $100 a month, the never-ending work schedule has landed Thurlow in the hospital three times for exhaustion and illness. "

http://www.buzzfeed.com/danmeth/thi...ares#.ngaWyx51b

gently caress you, anime industry.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 7, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ccs posted:

Yeah, I would like these kind of people as colleagues. Earnest workers who are also able to have some fun.

Although, this just came out about what it's actually like working in the industry. Does make Shirobako seem very idealistic, despite the hardships it depicts:

"For a salary that’s been as low as $100 a month, the never-ending work schedule has landed Thurlow in the hospital three times for exhaustion and illness. "

http://www.buzzfeed.com/danmeth/thi...ares#.ngaWyx51b

gently caress you, anime industry.

Pretty much at the end there. "My life was good and I could afford stuff, but I was not satisfied as an artist. Now my life is horrible, but I am satisfied as an artist."

Thanks Shriobako for telling me I really want animators to get an actual salary now. Instead of being payed by the frame.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Wow if he wanted to work on endless kids shows he should have tried for Toei instead of Nakamura Pro->Pierrot, cuz Toei pays ~20k USD a year in salary baseline.

i looked that guy up, he's an inbetweener still and doesnt do KA, so he probably gets paid pennies.

aers fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 7, 2015

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Plus if he was working in the NY animation industry, he was probably being paid below the standard rate.

(Titmouse NY, for example, was created as a way of circumventing the animation union in California and is known to pay its workers there less for the same work at their branch in Cali.)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah, but the California industry is totally oversaturated. Anyway being an animator is hard anywhere, though if you're a childless person in the US without student loans (not likely) and you actually have work, you can live a fairly comfortable life, as in you'll have shelter and won't starve to death. And in Canada, animators even get to have families and go on vacation sometimes! Truly a paradise (thanks, government subsidies).

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Some storyboard pages showed up on Yahoo Japan Auctions.

From episode 01

From episode 07

From episode 08

From episode 12

aers
Feb 15, 2012

That Buzzfeed article was wrong and apparently he makes $1k/mo not $100. Barely liveable in Tokyo, but liveable.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

aers posted:

That Buzzfeed article was wrong and apparently he makes $1k/mo not $100. Barely liveable in Tokyo, but liveable.

Okay, cool. That's still absurd given the work and hours, but 100 dollars a month would be completely ridiculous.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah he did an AMA on reddit with a ton more info http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2qprjj/i_am_an_animator_from_ny_who_moved_to_japan_and/

You can also see Cindy Yamauchi's twitter for her side of things (she's a top animator & AD at pierrot though, so on a completely different scale than an inbetweener) https://twitter.com/cindy560a

There are some conversations between her, bahi JD, and Thomas Romain, all foreigners who work on anime, in her twitter feed.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

how common is it for one animation studio to do all their animation work in house? i mean in this show we are shown that Ema was just like working on Exodus or now the plane show but wouldnt she also have to be working on stuff from other shows to make more money?

----------------

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

how common is it for one animation studio to do all their animation work in house? i mean in this show we are shown that Ema was just like working on Exodus or now the plane show but wouldnt she also have to be working on stuff from other shows to make more money?

it is extremely rare for there to be 0 outsourcing on a show. inbetweens are commonly outsourced. there are also specialized background studios that do a lot of the background work. it is also extremely rare for an entire show to have 0 outsourced key animation; kyoani is an example of a studio that relies on inhouse (they are a very special case though).

the other thing to keep in mind is that a lot of animators are freelance and not tied to a specific studio so technically a lot of things are not "inhouse" just because of that.

A-1 for example doesnt actually have any animators, they rely entirely on freelancers.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Can't help but wonder if Miyamori and the other head staff are finally going to take the opportunity to go and beat in the head of Mr. Funny Story, after what happened there.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
If they do anything at all, it'll more likely to be reporting his irresponsible behaviour to the author and the guy from the publisher that they got the project from. Funny Story will be out of a job and blacklisted pretty quick.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
While I really, really would want that to happen. I know it won't.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Damegane posted:

If they do anything at all, it'll more likely to be reporting his irresponsible behaviour to the author and the guy from the publisher that they got the project from. Funny Story will be out of a job and blacklisted pretty quick.

That's a best case scenario.

This show hasn't been all that forthcoming with best case scenarios.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So when Shizuka kills herself, will Ema get her stuff and her apartment?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I knew this was going to happen but I'm still :argh: .

Also this episode did a lot of good I think with people kinda gaining some traction with their lives. With Ema getting confident enough to take the position, some humanizing of Hiroaka and even super shy girl managing to get out words and going to the meeting all on her own. On the other hand though, holy poo poo Zukachansenpai :(

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i hope the series ends with zuka-chan-senpai not getting a voice job, and just taking over the bar she works at because being a voice actor has to be a worse job than that.

----------------

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Why are they making Zuka suffer this much? Mizushima isn't usually the type to troll viewers like this.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

sincx posted:

Why are they making Zuka suffer this much? Mizushima isn't usually the type to troll viewers like this.

She can't even get into Ariel Girls now that recording is done.

Unless the new Funny Story incident gives her a chance somehow.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

funny story, the last episode is supposed to have a new aerial girl as foreshadowing for season 2

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Dat planning.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
If Shirobako ends with a lesson how dreams don't necessarily come true in life my shriveled black heart will grow three sizes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Super Jay Mann posted:

So when Shizuka kills herself, will Ema get her stuff and her apartment?

It should be noted being an animation supervisor is much better paying. Goth Loli Sama was pointed out as having the highest wage back in the first series due to being in charge of the animation. So if Ema does well she might start getting payed well.

Also Mr Funny Story needs to lose his job. He has done nothing but cause problems with the author despite his job being to make sure there is no problems with the author. I knew he would screw them over one last time when he said to go ahead with their last episode storyboard.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 12, 2015

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

MonsterEnvy posted:

It should be noted being an animation supervisor is much better paying. Goth Loli Sama was pointed out as having the highest wage back in the first series due to being in charge of the animation. So if Ema does well she might start getting payed well.

Also Mr Funny Story needs to lose his job. He has done nothing but cause problems with the author despite his job being to make sure there is not problems with the author. I knew he would screw them over one last time when he said to go ahead with their last episode storyboard.

Funny story guy exists in every company ever and he will always make more money than you. C'est la vie.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Razzled posted:

Funny story guy exists in every company ever and he will always make more money than you. C'est la vie.

Yes but I don't know those guys nor have I seen them. Which is why I want this guy to suffer.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Man, Tarou actually got through to Hiroaka, it seems like.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fangz posted:

Man, Tarou actually got through to Hiroaka, it seems like.

Hiroaka's probably envious of Tarou's lack of distress over his own failures. Before he became so jaded, Hiroaka sounded like an even more optimistic Aoi, but didn't have the support she had.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I kinda enjoyed Hiroaka getting the equivalent of electric shock therapy. :)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Who else is hype for a season 2 with Tarou as director?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Just saying, called it on hiroaka~

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

darkgray posted:

Dat planning.

Also, (19) vs (22):

and a random image

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

adtrw-reacts-to-fanservice.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it was a funny scene and im hoping for a youtube

• Locked thread