Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Basically, Ernie is my first choice but I'm not entirely unreasonable.

I know you want me to get back onto Somber. Reiterate a case, succintly, in a single post. If you want it work for it, but make it fresh without linking back to previous cases you've made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

You can use the same reasoning by the way, just rewrite it out. It's a weird thing, but a fresh succinct post helps me re-evaluate things. Re-reading the thread bogs me down.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Amoeba102 posted:

Basically, Ernie is my first choice but I'm not entirely unreasonable.

so you're being unreasonable in voting for me? why is this sentence phrased this way?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Why would you interpret it that way. I'm not unreasonable so as to stick my vote on you in the face of not reaching a majority.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Amoeba102 posted:

Why would you interpret it that way. I'm not unreasonable so as to stick my vote on you in the face of not reaching a majority.

no you said you're not entirely unreasonable

what part of your voting me is unreasonable, in that not moving your vote off is entirely unreasonable?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i feel like mills making this argument but god drat if it isn't a good argument

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
...or he is trying to say he has his vote on you but he's not unwilling to change it to someone else.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Met posted:

...or he is trying to say he has his vote on you but he's not unwilling to change it to someone else.

yes i get that part

so the sentence should be 'yeah, i'd like ernie dead first, but i'm not unreasonable, i'll switch if necessary'

why is the 'entirely' in there?

it strikes me as off, like when people say 'if i'm going to be honest' - like aren't you supposed to be honest?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I'm not entirely unreasonable in the context of The Ram asking me who else I would vote for. The implication is that I would move my vote given the appropriate motivation - such as a compelling case or say a real possibility of us failing to reach a majority.

You're approaching this in a way to to make it seem like I'm saying my vote for you is unreasonable and hence invalidate my vote.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Ernie. posted:

yes i get that part

so the sentence should be 'yeah, i'd like ernie dead first, but i'm not unreasonable, i'll switch if necessary'

why is the 'entirely' in there?

it strikes me as off, like when people say 'if i'm going to be honest' - like aren't you supposed to be honest?

Because it's the way I talk.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Ernie, you're looking to make something out of nothing.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Amoeba102 posted:

it's a distinction nonetheless, i wasn't kidding when i said i felt like mills for a moment

that said - anonnarc's newbie armor expired the minute she signed up for multiple games and my argument against her has nothing to do with newbie tells - show me what part of what i said against her is a common newbie thing

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Amoeba102 posted:

I was just coming by to say, yes, this.

Chill bro, relax and have some drinks and we will plorp the scum together.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Signing up for multiple games doesn't expire newbie armour to me. I'd wait for their conclusion or a reasonable amount of time to pass. Some people go in with both feet and get in over their head. It doesn't mean they'll suddenly start playing like a vet.

Your case was that AnonNarc was only showing up to post stuff people agree with - or have already agreed with. This is generally a sign of having not many opinions of their own - which is a thing that happens with new players.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

CapitalistPig posted:

I was just coming by to say, yes, this.

Chill bro, relax and have some drinks and we will plorp the scum together.

Amen brother, let's git those commie scum!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Amoeba102 posted:

Signing up for multiple games doesn't expire newbie armour to me. I'd wait for their conclusion or a reasonable amount of time to pass. Some people go in with both feet and get in over their head. It doesn't mean they'll suddenly start playing like a vet.

Your case was that AnonNarc was only showing up to post stuff people agree with - or have already agreed with. This is generally a sign of having not many opinions of their own - which is a thing that happens with new players.

i guess we disagree then, i generally find self-conscious newbie play either causes someone to stir up the thread with a bunch of off-sounding posts, or to go completely quiet. participating just enough to not fade into the background and only agreeing with the majority isn't newbie-typical play.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
nah no scum slip from amoeba I think that's dumb

re: somber, hmmm basically I keep calling him stupid but I suspect he might be disingenuous and a scum

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Ernie. posted:

i guess we disagree then, i generally find self-conscious newbie play either causes someone to stir up the thread with a bunch of off-sounding posts, or to go completely quiet. participating just enough to not fade into the background and only agreeing with the majority isn't newbie-typical play.

New players can all have their different quirks. Some go awkward some go quiet. I also find they are impressionable and take on others opinions pretty readily. Which is natural since you expect more experienced players to know what they are doing. (Then later on they learn we all suck at mafia) So you get new players agreeing with thread consensus. This isn't a truism though and some are head strong etc etc.

Basically, AnonNArc is still new and if you're going for her then fine. I don't like it. Who else would you vote for, though?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

TheRam posted:

nah no scum slip from amoeba I think that's dumb

re: somber, hmmm basically I keep calling him stupid but I suspect he might be disingenuous and a scum

How does the part of his play you've been ignoring change things for you? Specifically, Somber trying to clear themselves in a way that conventionally wouldn't clear scum at all.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Everyone should probably just stop voting for somber and vote for narc yo.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Amoeba102 posted:

Basically, AnonNArc is still new and if you're going for her then fine. I don't like it. Who else would you vote for, though?

lumpen and only lumpen, i am entirely unreasonable

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Any reasons for Lumpen?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

he jumped on numerrik because numerrik was being confrontational

it came off to me as something lumpen would do because he misread the momentum of the thread rather than something lumpen would actually believe he should vote someone over

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Amoeba102 posted:

How does the part of his play you've been ignoring change things for you? Specifically, Somber trying to clear themselves in a way that conventionally wouldn't clear scum at all.

I didn't ignore that. I said it's the only thing in his favour and I don't think it's enough. I want to see Somber's flip and move on from there.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

I'm playing Smash 4 atm, I'll try to final check on Somber soon.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

TheRam posted:

I didn't ignore that. I said it's the only thing in his favour and I don't think it's enough. I want to see Somber's flip and move on from there.

Must have misread what you said then.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

TheRam posted:

This is true, I'm mostly ignoring it because of everything else to do with Somb.

Right, just a figure of speech.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Ernie. posted:

he jumped on numerrik because numerrik was being confrontational

it came off to me as something lumpen would do because he misread the momentum of the thread rather than something lumpen would actually believe he should vote someone over

I don't think it was for being confrontational, seemed like it was a Harold Krell Joke thing. Who the hell is Krell anyway?
But you're right, it definitely feels out of place.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Amoeba102 posted:

Who the hell is Krell anyway?

This guy.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
So... 45 minutes to go.

Votecount for Day 1

Somberbrero (4): Somberbrero, Rurea, Rurea, Lumpen, TheRam, Somberbrero, TheRam, Lumpen, TheRam, TheRam, TheRam, merk, Amoeba102, Lumpen, numerrik, TheRam, TheRam, Lumpen, TheRam, TheRam, Lumpen, Amoeba102
AnonymousNarcotics (4): Poison Mushroom, Poison Mushroom, Met, Ernie., Ernie., CapitalistPig, Rurea, Ernie.
numerrik (3): Lumpen, Lumpen, MC Eating Disorder, Murmur Twin, MC Eating Disorder, MC Eating Disorder, Somberbrero
Ernie. (2): CapitalistPig, TheRam, Rurea, Murmur Twin, AnonymousNarcotics, TheRam, Murmur Twin, Rurea, CapitalistPig, Amoeba102
CapitalistPig (1): Poison Mushroom, Ernie., Poison Mushroom, Poison Mushroom, MC Eating Disorder, MC Eating Disorder, Poison Mushroom, Poison Mushroom, Ernie.
MC Eating Disorder (0): Amoeba102, TheRam, numerrik, Rurea, Lumpen, AnonymousNarcotics, Rurea, TheRam, AnonymousNarcotics, Amoeba102, Lumpen, numerrik
TheRam (0): Somberbrero, MC Eating Disorder, MC Eating Disorder, Somberbrero
Rurea (0): Poison Mushroom, Poison Mushroom
Lumpen (0): Poison Mushroom, Poison Mushroom, Ernie., Ernie.
merk (0): Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin
Amoeba102 (0): Rurea, Rurea, MC Eating Disorder, MC Eating Disorder
Poison Mushroom (0): Rurea, Rurea

Not Voting (1): Hal Incandenza

With 15 alive, it's 8 votes to lynch. The current deadline is March 12th, 2015 at 9 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 46 minutes.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah, but what did they do and why would Lumpen make that joke? It is important to play to understand how disjointed Lumpen's play was.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i really don't think it's somber, folks

is it plurality or majority in this game?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'm not at all confident about this.

###vote narcotics

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Majority.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

###vote narcotics

Over hashing.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Ernie. posted:

i really don't think it's somber, folks

is it plurality or majority in this game?

Majority

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

###vote narcotics

are you more confident about yousrelf? because why would you make this post when your vote is obviously self-preservation
jesus

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

thanks, krell or not

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

##vote anon
It's funny to ride the bandwagon y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102