Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Also immigrant and alien have distinct meanings in the immigration code, immigrant being a subset of alien

edit: The rest of the bill is pro-child murder though, so thumbs up nativists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Nope. If it was Ted, the bill would still be blocked. It was Tom Coburn who wanted one of his last acts in the senate to be blocking vets from getting help to prevent suicide.

Let's all just take a moment to enjoy one middling moment of silver lining: Tom Coburn is no longer a member of the Senate.

(Post-script: I should add that Coburn's cancer isn't something to celebrate and I hope he manages a full recovery from it, but at the same time I am desperately glad he is no longer making federal decisions)

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

CommieGIR posted:

But as if losing her house is not scary enough, the new voter laws North Carolina is pushing makes it difficult to impossible to vote if you do not own property. So basically they passed a law that allows them to suddenly re-evaluate her property values and leave her no choice but to sell and become homeless.

And then she can't even vote against the guys who passed the laws.
Could you go into more detail about this?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Aren't landowner voting laws illegal on a federal level and something that would get shot down if Roberts wasn't dead set on killing the VRA and anything related to it?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
It looks like Loretta Lynch will require Joe Biden's vote to secure her nomination as Attorney General.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Aren't landowner voting laws illegal on a federal level and something that would get shot down if Roberts wasn't dead set on killing the VRA and anything related to it?

Well, just because a law might have the effect of disenfranchising non-landowners, that doesn't mean the lawmakers who passed it were thinking unconstitutional thoughts in their heart of hearts so we must overturn any federal laws that stop states from disenfranchising landowners for what may be completely pure motives as far as we know.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

WaPo:

quote:

If the GOP response ranges from sheer denial of a problem to “¯\_(ツ)_/¯”, that’s a sign that they’re not serious at all about foreign policy.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Yay! Joe Biden gets to do something other than touching up women and girls!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Which one of you etc. etc.

Last page posts about "getting feisty" in South Carolina, it's always this feisty, nobody has liked Nikki Haley. Even the people who elect her don't like her.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
So Krugman put this blog post up

quote:

Back in the 60s and 70s — which I, sad to say, actually remember — there was much talk about the disintegration of the black family and of African-American values more generally, and how that was the root cause of America’s poverty problem. And the social dysfunction was clearly real. But was it cause or effect? William Julius Wilson, in When Work Disappears, famously argued that it was a symptom: good jobs in inner cities, where African-American men could take them, went away, and the cultural changes followed.

So, how could you test that hypothesis? Well, here’s an experiment: change the structure of the economy in such a way that a large class of white men — say, white men without a college degree — similarly lose access to good jobs. If Wilson was right, we’d expect to see a sharp decline in stable marriages, a rise in unwed births, growing drug use, and other forms of social disruption.

And that is, in fact, exactly what happened: William Julius Wilson was right. Which makes it remarkable to see people[read:David Brooks] look at that very evidence and say that it shows that the real problem isn’t money, it’s values.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/415254/tom-cottons-letter-iran-gets-constitution-right-john-yoo

Heres an editorial in which John "gently caress the Geneva Convention" Yoo informs us on why we should never ever trust anyone from an Ivy.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

His Purple Majesty posted:

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/415254/tom-cottons-letter-iran-gets-constitution-right-john-yoo

Heres an editorial in which John "gently caress the Geneva Convention" Yoo informs us on why we should never ever trust anyone from an Ivy.

He's not wrong

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SumYungGui posted:

And that's just the extremely obvious damage caused by poor water infrastructure. Let's talk about bridges, or dams. The things that can fail and kill a lot of people, and are going to start doing so in alarming numbers. The electrical grid in this country? Sweet baby Jesus it's amazing things still work and a testament to the engineering of times gone past when people invested in the future as opposed to watching (or making) things burn to the ground so they can loot the ashes for their next quarterly report. Gotta keep cutting those taxes though. Can't have that nasty gubmint going around doing things. People might get ideas into their heads.

It seems like George W Bush was the last major Republican politician savvy enough to know that "small government" and "end wasteful spending" are just lies you tell the rubes to get elected, but once you're in running a modern country costs money and you can pass huge spending bills on education and agriculture and infrastructure and health care while coasting on your Republican small-government cred to protect you from your voters noticing that you're spending money.

This crop of governors and national politicians arising around the same time as Bush's ascension to the presidency seem like a bunch of True Believer idiots who really do think you can just stop funding everything because 'murica is the greatest country on earth and runs on gumption and old-fashioned know-how, not "money" or "infrastructure" or "technology"

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
You've got it backwards. Bush was a true believer and the hero conservatives have been waiting for. But he had enough familial connections that he sorta had to, you know, actually also fund things while going crazy. Played crazy with the books (Iraq war spent a lot of time off the books, Afghanistan pretty much never was on the books) but people he worked with wanted to get PAID and make fat stacks of cash.

The current crop is less concerned with getting PAID and making fat stacks. They want to make a point, they have an ideology. And they rode in on the Bush wave, they just don't have a million relatives and friends pulling them aside and saying, "I love that you believe, but I'm feeling a little strapped right now, so if you could help me out that'd be great . . ."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't know, Bush funded NCLB with Ted Kennedy as a co-author and passed Medicare Part D. Yeah sure Part D was a naked cash grab by the drug industry that banned the government from using its market leverage to negotiate prices (gently caress you, free market! -conservatives) but just try to get something like that passed now. Really aside from the Iraq War, Bush seemed at least somewhat interested in keeping the government funded and operational while he was in office even if he preferred huge deficits to sane tax policy.

What I am saying is as bad as Bush was, his cynical cronyism was still better for the country than the True Believer Articles of Confederation crew running the GOP now :gop:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Bush actually wanted to help people and do things with the government to that end. He just want very good at it and surrounded himself with people who wanted only to help themselves.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Bush was selected to be the stooge, he did not select those around him, they selected him.
The GOP back then didn't want a strong leader, they wanted some dumb gently caress to take point and do whatever they wanted. Cheney was the real leader.
Bush was there to smile and wave and look deep into people's eyes and see their soul.
While Cheney and co were handing zero bid contracts to their butt buddies.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So about the E-mailghazi...

Hilldawg choosing to use a private e-mail account wasn't the smartest thing to do, I'll admit. And her excuses for why she did so appear pretty lame as well.

With that being said though, what are the supposed consequences of her actions? I don't mean how will she be punished. I mean, what kind of problems do people fear (or at least claim to fear) have arisen from doing such a thing?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wonder if in eight years republicans that hate Obama guts will feel the same way about him I do about Bush, "Eh, he wasn't so bad"

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

greatn posted:

I wonder if in eight years republicans that hate Obama guts will feel the same way about him I do about Bush, "Eh, he wasn't so bad"

Any new Democratic president/presidential candidate automatically and retroactively makes the previous Democratic president/presidential candidate "not that bad" in the Republican mindset.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

So, what you're saying is you have a really terrible memory.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

happyhippy posted:

Bush was selected to be the stooge, he did not select those around him, they selected him.
The GOP back then didn't want a strong leader, they wanted some dumb gently caress to take point and do whatever they wanted. Cheney was the real leader.
Bush was there to smile and wave and look deep into people's eyes and see their soul.
While Cheney and co were handing zero bid contracts to their butt buddies.

They still talk like this, saying that the most important thing they need from a Republican President is the ability to hold a pen. It's how they sell moderates to the ultra-conservatives.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

greatn posted:

1: Is George W. Bush black
2: Do you hate blacks

if the answer to either 1 or 2 is "no", then your experience is not transferable to conservatives' feelings about Obama

They hate him, have always hated him (even before they had heard of him!) and will always hate him except when it is politically useful to pretend otherwise, such as when criticizing his Democratic successors.

Antti posted:

Any new Democratic president/presidential candidate automatically and retroactively makes the previous Democratic president/presidential candidate "not that bad" in the Republican mindset.

I don't think this is particularly true. Sure mushy-middle Republican-voting independents are always going on about how much they miss Clinton, but I don't think the real Republicans ever softened on him.

They will claim to have fond memories of the 90s, particularly when they are Newt Gingrich and attempting to burnish their get-things-donesmanship credentials, but the raw disdain at the core of things has never faded.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 13, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

Hilldawg choosing to use a private e-mail account wasn't the smartest thing to do, I'll admit. And her excuses for why she did so appear pretty lame as well.

With that being said though, what are the supposed consequences of her actions? I don't mean how will she be punished. I mean, what kind of problems do people fear (or at least claim to fear) have arisen from doing such a thing?

Either that she was emailing shadowy evil conspiracies that they cannot subpoena or that sensitive emails didn't have the appropriate level of security.

That being said, if there is a single elected official anywhere in the country that doesn't also use a separate email account from their government one, I'll eat my metaphorical hat.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 13, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

zoux posted:

Either that she was emailing shadowy evil conspiracies that they cannot subpoena or that sensitive emails didn't have the appropriate level of security.

That being said, if there is a single elected official anywhere in the country that doesn't also use a separate email account from their government one, I'll eat my metaphorical hat.

No one remembers that GW did the same thing while he was president. Not only that but there is reason to believe that a lot of really sketchy poo poo was on those servers and when officials tried to investigate, millions of e-mails were suddenly lost by accident. More than once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_White_House_email_controversy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You know there are a lot of people who say that Netanyahu's speech to Congress was just an electoral stunt but to them I say duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDmN6itHfOc

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, "You know, the 'lol' is redundant when you have the 'haha'." ~ Barack Obama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDocnbkHjhI

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

No one remembers that GW did the same thing while he was president. Not only that but there is reason to believe that a lot of really sketchy poo poo was on those servers and when officials tried to investigate, millions of e-mails were suddenly lost by accident. More than once.

Length of the American voter's memory: the candidate could punch a voter in the face while they are in the voting booth and that person will forget it even happened by the time they finish their ballet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The sublime grace of the American Election Ballet.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

To be fair, there were so many scandals, and scandals within scandals during those years..it's nigh impossible to recall even a majority of them.

Though to our credit as a nation, we seem to have forgotten all of them. Look forwards, not backwards!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

zoux posted:

lawl at putting David Patreaeus in there considering what he's pleading guilty to soon.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Star Man posted:

Length of the American voter's memory: the candidate could punch a voter in the face while they are in the voting booth and that person will forget it even happened by the time they finish their ballet.

Swan lake?

(this is an identical post from the eastern europe thread, oddly enough)

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

zoux posted:

Lindsey Graham. Get to eating. And none of that metaphorical fruit hat bullshit

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Mr Interweb posted:

For one thing, you have essentially a four year period where your Sec. of State's correspondence is gone, purged from the record books. Historians, following SoS's and other future leaders won't have any traces of what Hillary did as SoS. It also sets a bad precedent, especially if she ends up winning the POTUS despite this.

For another, it's not so much of "problems that people fear" so much as yet another example of the Dem party trying to make itself the party of "transparency" and then going in the exact opposite loving direction. Not to mention yet another example of the Clintons basically not giving a gently caress about transparency or laws affecting them.

It's also a great exercise in seeing how much liberals will bend over backwards to downplay this when they'd be loving livid if it was, say, Cheney instead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Amergin posted:

For one thing, you have essentially a four year period where your Sec. of State's correspondence is gone, purged from the record books. Historians, following SoS's and other future leaders won't have any traces of what Hillary did as SoS. It also sets a bad precedent, especially if she ends up winning the POTUS despite this.

For another, it's not so much of "problems that people fear" so much as yet another example of the Dem party trying to make itself the party of "transparency" and then going in the exact opposite loving direction. Not to mention yet another example of the Clintons basically not giving a gently caress about transparency or laws affecting them.

It's also a great exercise in seeing how much liberals will bend over backwards to downplay this when they'd be loving livid if it was, say, Cheney instead.

I wouldn't be I would say the same thing.

But also she mostly used the other email acct. to talk poo poo about Obama, as I understand it.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

zoux posted:

I wouldn't be I would say the same thing.

But also she mostly used the other email acct. to talk poo poo about Obama, as I understand it.

Zoux you're a LINO.

EDIT: Or a DI-NO(-SA-UR a dinosaur!)

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

The other day when she had the press conference at the UN I was driving across country and listening to talking heads on AM radio. Apparently the line they are trying to push is that she was using her influence as SoS to trade favors for funneling mystery money to the Clinton Foundation. Of course there will be nothing found in the emails released by State, but that will just prove that these allegations are true and she just scrubbed all that damning evidence from her private server.

It will just be another Benghazi where there is no evidence of misdeed, but that will not stop them from saying what they 'know' to be true. Every time they use her name in a sentence they will find a way to draw a connection to the Clintons and their shady past.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Amergin posted:

This is of course completely ignoring the thousands of emails turned over to recordkeepers. But let's not have facts get in the way.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Lansdowne posted:

The other day when she had the press conference at the UN I was driving across country and listening to talking heads on AM radio. Apparently the line they are trying to push is that she was using her influence as SoS to trade favors for funneling mystery money to the Clinton Foundation. Of course there will be nothing found in the emails released by State, but that will just prove that these allegations are true and she just scrubbed all that damning evidence from her private server.

Trabisnikof posted:

This is of course completely ignoring the thousands of emails turned over to recordkeepers. But let's not have facts get in the way.

~60,000 emails turned over

Out of ~1 billion emails estimated to have been sent/received at the State Dept.

But let's not have facts get in the way.

EDIT: Actually I read it was down to ~40,000 in 2013.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That account held a BILLION emails? :raise:

• Locked thread