Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Anatharon posted:

Just Alex and Ash, highlighting another personality difference amongst the fans.
You tell me that big mother fucker next to them holding a sign isn't Mark.

Shima Honnou posted:

I've seen people say Jake has no place in the story, but I think he might. He looks like the fat soldier during the Hawaii missions, and you never clearly see fat soldier's face since he wears a bandana, but they got the same ears and similar forehead, albeit Jake's is more haggard with age. Makes sense to me that they might be the same person, especially since Jake loving hates him some Commie bastards and wants America to rise again.
Thought the same thing, could work I guess, but I doubt it. Despite the whole "more haggard with age" thing, Jake seems to actually be younger than Daniels.

:stare:

What the gently caress...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Skunkrocker posted:

Thought the same thing, could work I guess, but I doubt it. Despite the whole "more haggard with age" thing, Jake seems to actually be younger than Daniels.

Maybe they're brothers or something and the genetics in their family just create fat racist assholes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Geight posted:

Maybe they're brothers or something and the genetics in their family just create fat racist assholes.

"Fat racist rear end in a top hat" is Florida's spirit animal.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
I don't think Jake and the fat soldier aren't the same guy cause the soldier said he was a teacher in one intro to a soldier level and in one of the comics Jake works in some junkyard.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
They also have different colored eyes

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I doubt they're still in there, but there much to pull from the wad files using that wad extractor thing besides hidden files and songs? And- for that matter- how do I use it in the first place? I'm guessing it's command prompt stuff.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010
Jake and the soldier also have different eyes. Jake's are green and the soldiers are grey. I think it's just that they seem to reuse faces.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
Does Beams by Tape actually show up anywhere in the game at all? It's not in the official soundtrack and I haven't bothered using the .wad extractor to check the game files. Kind of a shame if it really did get cut, it'd fit right in with the rest of the soundtrack as a somber, chill-rear end piece.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sundance Shot posted:

Jake and the soldier also have different eyes. Jake's are green and the soldiers are grey. I think it's just that they seem to reuse faces.

Soldier has a big scar, Jake doesn't.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Moartoast posted:

Does Beams by Tape actually show up anywhere in the game at all? It's not in the official soundtrack and I haven't bothered using the .wad extractor to check the game files. Kind of a shame if it really did get cut, it'd fit right in with the rest of the soundtrack as a somber, chill-rear end piece.

From a quick comb-through, it's not in the game files. There is one named Beams.ogg but it's actually the title screen music. I could've sworn I heard it in the game between chapters once but maybe I'm just imagining it.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I strongly suggest replaying some of the levels in normal. I remember being scared as gently caress in the powerplant mission and then: http://gfycat.com/JadedBothHyrax

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
Anyone know which song plays over the ending?

RocketSurgery
Feb 11, 2009
ok ppl

so whats the deal with
mark (bear mask) hearing the voice that lead him to the sewer tony said was empty but was full of bad guys,
+ his premonitions or whatever on deathwish before they storm the hq

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

RocketSurgery posted:

ok ppl

so whats the deal with
mark (bear mask) hearing the voice that lead him to the sewer tony said was empty but was full of bad guys,

Bad writing.

Also, whomever you're playing as will hear things from the manhole on into the pit.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

RocketSurgery posted:

ok ppl

so whats the deal with

I just assume Tony didn't think the check the sewer.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah whichever character you pick hears noises, I assume if you're playing Tony it's just someone else who tells you that it's empty, There's nothing mysterious about that part.

Mark's scene with Richard and the pre-Deathwish conversation are included to make you think he's going to fall to his death while everyone else safely escapes by jumping to the next roof. I just interpret it as being a red herring that's mostly meant to confuse you as to the identity of the body under the tarp when the Detective walks back onto the street after executing Tony.

Geight fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 13, 2015

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

RocketSurgery
Feb 11, 2009

Geight posted:

Yeah whichever character you pick hears noises, I assume if you're playing Tony it's just someone else who tells you that it's empty, There's nothing mysterious about that part.

Mark's scene with Richard and the pre-Deathwish conversation are included to make you think he's going to fall to his death while everyone else safely escapes by jumping to the next roof. I just interpret it as being a red herring that's mostly meant to confuse you as to the identity of the body under the tarp when the Detective walks back onto the street after executing Tony.

red herring to cover the person under the tarp makes sense, thats probably it
thanks

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The best thing about these is the out-of-frame shotgun guys.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I'm enjoying hard a lot more than I did normal. I think maybe because I'm taking it slower, as in not trying to finish the whole thing in a couple days? I'm just not feeling the frustration I felt my first time through normal, it's almost feeling like when I first started to understand how to play the first game as opposed to just bashing my head against it.

Anyone got tips for (level name spoilers) Death Wish on Hard? I just don't see a way to even begin on Corey's section.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm at work and can't make a super long post from my phone, but the whole thing is commentary on how you well commit horrific acts in games for no good reason, just because a disembodied voice tells you to.

I've never understood this whole bit. The reason why you're killing people in HLM is because there is no gameplay mechanic to make progress without killing. The reason why the game is popular is because it's fun; it has tight gameplay mechanics, a neat visual style, and an incredible soundtrack. There are plenty of lovely games where you do violent things and they aren't well received because they are lovely games.

It's not like Hotline Miami is some The Sims spinoff where you do a bunch of everyday things, but then after weeks of gameplay you get a phone call saying "strangle your cat" and now you have the option to do that instead of feeding it, but nobody's forcing you. Even then, it's still a video game, so who cares if you do fake violent things to your fake cat in the cartoon video game? It's not like I'd murder buildings full of people or strangle my cat IRL if I got a call from some weirdo ordering me to do so.

They may as well point out that I catch fish in Sega Bass Fishing because the game tells me to. Do you like hurting ichthyoid?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Shine posted:

It's not like Hotline Miami is some The Sims spinoff where you do a bunch of everyday things, but then after weeks of gameplay you get a phone call saying "strangle your cat" and now you have the option to do that instead of feeding it, but nobody's forcing you. Even then, it's still a video game, so who cares if you do fake violent things to your fake cat in the cartoon video game? It's not like I'd murder buildings full of people or strangle my cat IRL if I got a call from some weirdo ordering me to do so.

This would make one hell of a Sims expansion pack.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Geight posted:

This would make one hell of a Sims expansion pack.

You play as a rogue swimming pool deleter.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
The whole "there are no choices in video games! You are a slave!" Trope needs to loving die in a real bad way. Oh wow, life is meaningless and pointless. Deep loving thoughts there.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Shine posted:

I've never understood this whole bit. The reason why you're killing people in HLM is because there is no gameplay mechanic to make progress without killing. The reason why the game is popular is because it's fun; it has tight gameplay mechanics, a neat visual style, and an incredible soundtrack. There are plenty of lovely games where you do violent things and they aren't well received because they are lovely games.

Shine is the best and most articulate and also most correct mod and I'm gonna start lifting heavier things so I can be like him one day.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Rexicon1 posted:

The whole "there are no choices in video games! You are a slave!" Trope needs to loving die in a real bad way. Oh wow, life is meaningless and pointless. Deep loving thoughts there.

How many other video games do this angle to where you consider it a "trope?" I only get to buy and play a very tight selection of games I really want because I'm poor, so I'm genuinely asking rather than flatly disagreeing with you.

ed: i guess that spec ops game kinda did, but I always thought that it and Hotline were pretty rare in having any kind of message at all, let alone one about video games

ed2: \/that's kinda what I thought, but I figured maybe I was just out of the loop

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 13, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pharmaskittle posted:

How many other video games do this angle to where you consider it a "trope?" I only get to buy and play a very tight selection of games I really want because I'm poor, so I'm genuinely asking rather than flatly disagreeing with you.

It's this and Spec Ops. And I guess that terrible puzzle game that came out for Xbone last week, but that whole game is a ham fisted poo poo show that doesn't do anything well on any level.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Rexicon1 posted:

Ah yes, that tired trope, that has been used so many times in:
-Bioshock
-Hotline Miami 1 maybe if you stretch it
-other games?

IMO I always read Hotline Miami 1 as an indictment of other action games - not for including violence, but for whitewashing it, and for always giving you a really good reason for doing it. Yeah, some games try to give you some moral ambiguity to the violence, but it can almost always be broadly justified as self-defense.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Rexicon1 posted:

I got some "the only way to REALLY beat this game is to not play" vibes from the Richard hallucinations which fell in line with the progressively worse level design.

Mission 21 has a room with nothing but fat guys and if I didn't happen to have a gun on me it would have been impossible to clear as far as I could tell.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The ending of this game is also very much a "the only way to win is not to play" situation. The entire thing is, as someone else put it, "live by the sword, die by the sword" in video game form. It's not just a critique of video game violence, but of violence in general. That's one of the reasons that idiot on twitter saying it getting positive reviews is furthering violence obsessed culture is, well, an idiot.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Amorphous Blob posted:

I got some "the only way to REALLY beat this game is to not play" vibes from the Richard hallucinations which fell in line with the progressively worse level design.

Mission 21 has a room with nothing but fat guys and if I didn't happen to have a gun on me it would have been impossible to clear as far as I could tell.

There's a shotgun planted right in front of the entrance of that one room

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Trick Question posted:

I'm enjoying hard a lot more than I did normal. I think maybe because I'm taking it slower, as in not trying to finish the whole thing in a couple days? I'm just not feeling the frustration I felt my first time through normal, it's almost feeling like when I first started to understand how to play the first game as opposed to just bashing my head against it.

Anyone got tips for (level name spoilers) Death Wish on Hard? I just don't see a way to even begin on Corey's section.

Yeah I'm enjoying hard more as well.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm hating hard. It's becoming increasingly clear that the "line of enemies that aggro and kill you from out of your line of vision" thing was an intentional design choice.

Pharmaskittle posted:

ed: i guess that spec ops game kinda did, but I always thought that it and Hotline were pretty rare in having any kind of message at all, let alone one about video games

It's pretty much universal to games that attempt large scale metacommentary, because it's the focal point of player interaction. In this sense, it's inescapable- it can only be done better or worse, and with respect to different actions and associated out of game contexts. Braid did it really well.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
"Run" is the best song on this soundtrack. It is brilliant. I really liked the level which it featured on too, the Subway station. (I've liked that char so far)

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Another Person posted:

"Run" is the best song on this soundtrack. It is brilliant. I really liked the level which it featured on too, the Subway station. (I've liked that char so far)

Yeah, amen. There's something about it that really captures the delirium for me like "Deep Cover" got me the first game. I also thought "The Way Home" was also really fitting, being ironically gloriously and mindlessly triumphant for what should've been a really stupid suicide mission.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm hating hard. It's becoming increasingly clear that the "line of enemies that aggro and kill you from out of your line of vision" thing was an intentional design choice.

It's pretty much universal to games that attempt large scale metacommentary, because it's the focal point of player interaction. In this sense, it's inescapable- it can only be done better or worse, and with respect to different actions and associated out of game contexts. Braid did it really well.

Yeah... Braid didn't do anything well.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Disappointing, Abyss seems identical on Hard mode.

Buck Turgidson posted:

Yeah... Braid didn't do anything well.

That would certainly explain why it's credited as breathing life into the indie game industry, and why a generation of designers have been copying it.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Wait a second, goons didn't enjoy Braid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I'm pretty sure nobody actually enjoyed braid. A lot of people sure loved talking about it, though.

• Locked thread