Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

c0ldfuse posted:

Modernist says that this is actually a better method. I don't have access to the book at the moment--but with sous vide it is better to go straight from frozen to the water bath. Some of the reasons seemed relatively spurious but whatever.
The best reason - and the main reason some restaurant critics objected to the texture of sous vide meats/fish for a while - is that the suction in vacuum sealers often compress and break the fibers in raw proteins (especially fish). When the protein's frozen, no such worries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I freeze meat in vacuum bags and then just chuck them into the water bath. It works great.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

For those of us without a moist setting on our food savers, has anyone tried to freeze marinade/sauce/liquid in a small ziploc bag placed flat in the freezer, then putting the marinade "cube" in the bag, vac, then seal it, and then letting it thaw/marinate then puddle?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

toplitzin posted:

For those of us without a moist setting on our food savers, has anyone tried to freeze marinade/sauce/liquid in a small ziploc bag placed flat in the freezer, then putting the marinade "cube" in the bag, vac, then seal it, and then letting it thaw/marinate then puddle?

That is a common recommendation for edge sealers. You can just use an ice cube tray if you don't want to use bags.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Just got my Anova Precision Cooker, I have some chuck going at 140F that we'll eat for dinner tomorrow, so about 24 hours. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Last night I made pork chops and threw some duck fat in the bag along with basic seasonings.

From frozen, cooked at 144 for a hair under 4hrs. Used bag juices to deglaze after searing and added some flour to thicken.

So good.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
If people don't have a vacuum sealer, today's Amazon Daily Deal is a foodsaver starter kit. Looks like a basic foodsaver, a roll of bag material, and a couple individual bags, for $60. I jumped on it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

overdesigned posted:

If people don't have a vacuum sealer, today's Amazon Daily Deal is a foodsaver starter kit. Looks like a basic foodsaver, a roll of bag material, and a couple individual bags, for $60. I jumped on it.

$10 more than the all time low price back in 2011. Looks pretty good.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
anyone have any feedback on that model?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

anyone have any feedback on that model?

Not to be an rear end in a top hat, but the Amazon reviews seem pretty good. The typical "IT DIDN'T WORK, TOTAL GARBAGE!" reviews, but most are 4 or 5 star.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I picked up 3 of them a few years ago (2 for gifts) when they were on a blowout sale @ 24 bucks each. I'm pretty sure my BiL/SiL don't use theirs much, nor do my parents but i've used mine hundreds of times and never had any issues.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

I picked up 3 of them a few years ago (2 for gifts) when they were on a blowout sale @ 24 bucks each. I'm pretty sure my BiL/SiL don't use theirs much, nor do my parents but i've used mine hundreds of times and never had any issues.

$24? Where was that from?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Indolent Bastard posted:

$24? Where was that from?

Direct from foodsaver in 2010

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

Direct from foodsaver in 2010

Ah, a Moby Dick sale. Good to know.

(FYI-A Moby Dick anything is a rare thing that will likely never be seen again)

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Got my Anova Precision Cooker today and started some 72-hour short ribs. Seems insane to cook something for that long. I have no idea what I'm in for, but I'm looking forward to dinner Sunday. I was out of smoked paprika so I used a little tiny bit ancho powder. Hope that doesn't screw it up.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/paragon-induction-cooktop

This is an apparently new model of sous vide: an induction cooktop with PID built in, which uses a wireless thermometer to check your water's temperature. So no circulation, probably uses more electricity, requires ferrous cookware. Pros: No moving parts other than the cooktop's fan, probably faster than a PID+crockpot setup, you can use the induction cooktop to sear your meats after cooking them sous vide.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 13, 2015

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Or if you don't want to mess around with that pesky water at all: http://www.cindercooks.com

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That looks pretty cool, like a high tech George Foreman, but $500? @_@

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I don't have the counter space for all this poo poo!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

This is an apparently new model of sous vide: an induction cooktop with PID built in, which uses a wireless thermometer to check your water's temperature. So no circulation, probably uses more electricity, requires ferrous cookware. Pros: No moving parts other than the cooktop's fan, probably faster than a PID+crockpot setup, you can use the induction cooktop to sear your meats after cooking them sous vide.

Nice concept, shame it's twice the price of my Anova.

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

Jeoh posted:

Nice concept, shame it's twice the price of my Anova.

That one is $170 for the early bird, but not out til Dec. The panini press waterless one is $500.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I don't understand how the panini press maintains temp throughout the entire protein without overcooking.

The one that sits on the induction cooktop looks cool if only for maintaining 350 degrees for frying stuff.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Steve Yun posted:

You could also use other things than water since you don't have to worry about gunking up your circulator pump. You could do Thomas Keller's butter-poached lobster, for example.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

nwin posted:

I don't understand how the panini press maintains temp throughout the entire protein without overcooking.

Same way a circulator does? As long as it's able to hold the heating medium at the target temp, it doesn't matter whether it's air/water/metal in contact with the food, right? (It'll affect the rate of heat transfer, but not what the final temp of the food is.)

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Phanatic posted:

You could also use other things than water since you don't have to worry about gunking up your circulator pump. You could do Thomas Keller's butter-poached lobster, for example.

You can bag lobster with butter. It works fine.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Same way a circulator does? As long as it's able to hold the heating medium at the target temp, it doesn't matter whether it's air/water/metal in contact with the food, right? (It'll affect the rate of heat transfer, but not what the final temp of the food is.)

I hope the panini thing is actually sealed. If not sealed it will have to work pretty hard to keep the air and the metal plates the same temperature. I would guess that the rate of heat transfer will also be much slower. I suppose fine for things under a certain thickness, but the maximum thickness it can handle would be less than Sous Vide (iirc 4 inches is the max to get something safely up to core temp).

Love the precision control for frying no doubt. But once the plates get searing hot, it better have an alarm to make sure to take things off right away when they are done.

If they had just made a very precise flattop griddle... now that would be an instant purchase.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Can I ask that people start posting detailed recipes of their various cooks and have them added to the op? I have tried a couple of things found online and the results are not stellar. I'm still waiting for my "they should have sent a poet" moment after I eat my first bite of a sous vide meal.

To be clear, the food was good, but not that good.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

Can I ask that people start posting detailed recipes of their various cooks and have them added to the op? I have tried a couple of things found online and the results are not stellar. I'm still waiting for my "they should have sent a poet" moment after I eat my first bite of a sous vide meal.

To be clear, the food was good, but not that good.

I've only done a couple things so far, but my understanding is that sous vide cooking generally isn't about getting "they should have sent a poet" good, but that it's a) stupid easy and convenient, and b) you can take a cheap, crappy cut of meat and make it as good as an expensive cut while still being low-effort (see A).

I admit I haven't done short ribs yet, which is the thing I've seen most raved about.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
So far the things that have been most impressive to me have been chicken breasts (140 for 45 minutes with whatever seasonings you please) and the salmon mi cuit recipe from chefsteps.

I love the first because you get an amazing level of juiciness and succulence from such a ubiquitous and boring piece of meat, purely by virtue of precision cooking. I love the second because you get an otherworldly texture from the salmon (it's like a combination of lox and perfectly cooked fresh salmon) that you literally can't achieve in any other way.

To me, that sums up the range of applications for sous vide. You can use it to perfectly cook something without much effort, so that it doesn't necessarily blow you away but is still very satisfying. And then you can also use it to achieve transformative textures and flavors that become the centerpiece of a dish. I find that the former is always appreciated by the cook and the guests alike but isn't the best if you are specifically trying to impress people on sous vide specifically. Meanwhile, the latter will always strike people as crazy and they'll be impressed by the effort you put in, but it's not always a guarantee that the less adventurous eaters will love it.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
For me the 72 hour shortrib was the transformative/revelatory dish.

The precision/easy dish is perfectly gooey soft-boiled eggs for my morning toast, every single time.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

overdesigned posted:

The precision/easy dish is perfectly gooey soft-boiled eggs for my morning toast, every single time.

How does this work, practicality-wise? Do you have to spend half an hour heating eggs every morning?

I think it would be cool to be able to throw them in the night before but from what I read, that's not how it works.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Juice Box Hero posted:

How does this work, practicality-wise? Do you have to spend half an hour heating eggs every morning?

I think it would be cool to be able to throw them in the night before but from what I read, that's not how it works.

I was thinking maybe, throw them in on waking, bathroom/shower/dress then eat, but that doesn't include warmup time. Maybe a workout before all that? Or is there some other secret? Tell us!

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Mikey Purp posted:

So far the things that have been most impressive to me have been chicken breasts (140 for 45 minutes with whatever seasonings you please)

For me, chicken has been the worst thing I've made by a wide wide margin.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Not sous-vide, but I've had a lot of success making precise eggs using ATK's steaming method. Depends on the cook you want, but it's about 7 minutes total time for medium.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Juice Box Hero posted:

I do them the evening before and then ice bath and refrigerate overnight ( I usually do enough for a few days worth of breakfasts). In the morning it only takes a few min to warm them up, I just put water on the stove with a thermometer and get them up to the temp I cooked them to while I am making toast, rice, or some steel cut oatmeal. Maybe 10 min. total prep time (cook the rice the night before or soak the steel cut oats so you are just warming them).

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Alright, I've had my Anova precision cooker for 3 days now, and I just started my 3rd SV thing. The first was chuck steak, done at 140F for 24 hours - this turned out really well, it was nice and cheap and tasted excellent. Today I did chicken, also at 140F, for a few hours, which probably would have been better with a shorter cook but was still quite good. Right now I have a point brisket in at 146F, which I think I'll leave for 48 hours. So far I've been pretty impressed, I'm not confident on the brisket time/temp but I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Juice Box Hero posted:

I put them in the night before with the machine plugged in but not running, and then when I wake up in the morning I push "go" on the Anova app on my phone. By the time I drag my rear end out of bed my eggs are ready.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 14, 2015

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

overdesigned posted:

I put them in the night before with the machine plugged in but not running, and then when I wake up in the morning I push "go" on the Anova app on my phone. By the time I drag my rear end out of bed my eggs are ready.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the app and the fact that you can store uncooked eggs at room temp.

That's awesome.

I've been thinking of throwing ice in the bath with a steak in the AM and programming it to heat to freezing until ~2h before I want to eat dinner, then heat to cook temp.

You could probably do the same at night and never even have to Hit Go, as long as you know what time you're going to eat.

This is all pretty cool. Thanks for the tip.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

toplitzin posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00395FHRO/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1426306738&sr=8-2&keywords=large+ice+cubes&pi=AC_SX200_QL40

Is great for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

overdesigned posted:

time & temp?