Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Also nobody watched The American President. Actually I saw it and it's bland as poo poo and forgettable. Sports Night had much better walk/talk scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-va0tWJLTc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Steven Universe has surpassed Gravity Falls this week for favorite animated show currently airing, and Gravity Falls had a fantastic mid season finale.

If you watched the first few episodes of SU and found it to be too childish, give it another try.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

lelandjs posted:

Gravity Falls had a fantastic mid season finale.

I have to give Gravity Falls credit, in the decade since LOST made it cool to hide tons of hints and clues everywhere it's the first show I can think of that actually managed to have a big twist that was planned from the beginning and foreshadowed for years in a way that diehards were able to suss out but always stayed squarely in the background and was still ambiguous enough to be a surprise when it happened.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

lelandjs posted:

Steven Universe has surpassed Gravity Falls this week for favorite animated show currently airing, and Gravity Falls had a fantastic mid season finale.

If you watched the first few episodes of SU and found it to be too childish, give it another try.

Steven Universe is the one that out of nowhere had some sort of trans allegory, right?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mo0 posted:

Steven Universe is the one that out of nowhere had some sort of trans allegory, right?

It was a bit more complicated than that, really. There was a lot going on in that episode.

I'm still not really sure how I interpret it. The trans reading is a valid one, but it's hardly the only one. It can also be read as an illustration of how people, when a couple, often behave as a single person (and often in ways they wouldn't behave by themselves). The episode also serves as an example of a male experiencing the male gaze from a female's point of view. It has a LOT to say about gender, but not in a heavy-handed or preachy way.

The episode in question is "Alone Together" if anyone's curious. I highly recommend it, but I'm sure if it works as a standalone episode.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ The latter.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 13, 2015

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mo0 posted:

Was the trans allegory that one of the main characters was created by an alien race bent on conquering earth and she's real angry that everyone treats her differently because of that or was it that another main character found he could fuse with his girlfriend and become a single, larger woman who attracted the attention of other guys?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Steven Universe is nuts and fantastic and the finale was loving incredible. I do feel bad that GF finally does something to excite me and then SU tops it three days later, but them's the breaks.

Also I still prefer Adventure Time to either although I think the format it has these days has a lot to do with that. SU is also a little too anime-y tbh, although it barely ever affects it in a negative way.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bown posted:

Steven Universe is nuts and fantastic and the finale was loving incredible. I do feel bad that GF finally does something to excite me and then SU tops it three days later, but them's the breaks.

Also I still prefer Adventure Time to either although I think the format it has these days has a lot to do with that. SU is also a little too anime-y tbh, although it barely ever affects it in a negative way.

Tonight's episodes definitely upped the anime quota a decent amount.

And I know a lot of people have been hating on Adventure Time recently because of the direction it's taken but I still really enjoy it. The Diary I thought was especially good.

(I actually forgot about Adventure Time in my previous post. And Archer. gently caress, there's too much good animated television right now for me to really establish a "favorite show"... but I still think it might be SU).

[Edit: gently caress it, currently airing animated show rating:

1. Steven Universe
2. Gravity Falls (when it actually airs, which is pretty much never)
3. Adventure Time
4. Bob's Burgers
5. Archer

Honorable mention: Gumball, though I haven't watched it since November, so I can't really opine on the recent episodes.

And an all time animated show rating (must have aired at least three seasons/been cancelled prematurely):
1. Justice League ± Unlimited
2. Clone High
3. Avatar: The Last Airbender
4. Adventure Time
5. Bob's Burgers

Honorable mention: Animaniacs, which almost placed 5th. Disqualified: Simpsons and Futurama, each for wearing out their welcome.]

[Second edit: Argh, forgot South Park. Trying to make ratings lists is hard and dumb.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 13, 2015

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
greys anatomy just tried to make a suspenseful moment out of transferring a phonecall from one phone to another.

"i hope i dont screw this up"

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FamDav posted:

greys anatomy just tried to make a suspenseful moment out of transferring a phonecall from one phone to another.

As someone who had to transfer calls from drug addicts looking for help to people that would help them I can confirm the suspense.

Drug addicts get really upset when you gently caress up a call transfer.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

That "We are the Rosebuds" commercial or whatever is really stupid. I know this isn't the commercials thread bu t make sure they get the message.

Also tell them that the girl in the Taco Bell commercial is hot. Thanks

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FamDav posted:

I've been working in my office for 2 years now and I don't know how to transfer calls.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

lelandjs posted:

It was a bit more complicated than that, really. There was a lot going on in that episode.

I'm still not really sure how I interpret it. The trans reading is a valid one, but it's hardly the only one. It can also be read as an illustration of how people, when a couple, often behave as a single person (and often in ways they wouldn't behave by themselves). The episode also serves as an example of a male experiencing the male gaze from a female's point of view. It has a LOT to say about gender, but not in a heavy-handed or preachy way.

Man, that sounds like a barrel of fun.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

What, you don't like male gaze in your children's cartoons? Trans allegories in light entertainment aren't your cup of tea?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Irish Joe posted:

What makes these shows good is that they always manage to be funny and entertaining above all else, while also giving people lots to mull over if they so wish. (well, Adventure Time doesn't always manage this, but mostly.)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Yeah, Steven Universe is good, but I prefer Gravity Falls by a country mile.

Also, I know I'm streets behind on this but Fargo is really amazing. It's much better than True Detective which, looking back, hasn't left much of an impression on me, but seemed to get a lot more buzz.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fargo is amazing, yeah. But I can't agree with you about GF. I love it and it's probably the most well-made of the three (dat Disney money, yo) but if anything the 20-minute runtime hurts it because every episode has to have that typical sitcommy structure. Plus Alex Hirsch thinks he's a lot funnier with pop culture satire than he actually is. We get it, Alex. You're amused by the word 'cray'.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Viginti posted:

Here's a decently in-depth interview with Emmerich about directing, might be of interest:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/the-americans-co-star-noah-emmerich-on-directing-his-first-episode

This is a great interview -- thanks for sharing it.

Also, drat, Noah Emmerich is really articulate and well-spoken.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bown posted:

What makes these shows good is that they always manage to be funny and entertaining above all else, while also giving people lots to mull over if they so wish. (well, Adventure Time doesn't always manage this, but mostly.)

Yeah, that's nice and all but then that also leads to having to skip over pages and pages of college freshman level analysis of the deep themes present in children's cartooons.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

raditts posted:

Yeah, that's nice and all but then that also leads to having to skip over pages and pages of college freshman level analysis of the deep themes present in children's cartooons.

Only if you go look for pages and pages of college freshman level analysis of the deep themes present in children's cartoons. Where do you post or frequent that this is a major issue?

I watch both of those shows and don't give a poo poo about the silly readings people have of them, and I never manage to encounter them either.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

No, you're right. Shows shouldn't try to be deep and meaningful because it might mean you have to scroll through some stuff you don't like on the internet.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bown posted:

No, you're right. Shows shouldn't try to be deep and meaningful because it might mean you have to scroll through some stuff you don't like on the internet.

Have you seen the Adventure Time thread at this point?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Steven Universe is practically an honorary anime in that its fans always go "seriously it's good even if you're not into anime" and then you watch it and it's terrible because it still has all the stuff in anime that you hate.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

PriorMarcus posted:

Only if you go look for pages and pages of college freshman level analysis of the deep themes present in children's cartoons. Where do you post or frequent that this is a major issue?

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

IRQ posted:

Have you seen the Adventure Time thread at this point?

Then don't go in the thread, you can still mostly enjoy the show on a surface level or else kids wouldn't adore it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Then don't go in the thread, you can still mostly enjoy the show on a surface level or else kids wouldn't adore it.

I don't, but it kind of sucks that this is pretty much the default for most show threads at this point isn't it? "X show thread is terrible" gets posted so much in here that we should just not bother and only say anything when a thread isn't poo poo.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sleeveless posted:

Steven Universe is practically an honorary anime in that its fans always go "seriously it's good even if you're not into anime" and then you watch it and it's terrible because it still has all the stuff in anime that you hate.

Things about anime I hate:

1. Fan service
2. Lazy shortcut/"Emoji" expressions (nosebleed, sweat drops)
3. Giant over the top battles with overpowered characters
4. Badly written female characters (go ahead, counter this example, I dare you)

Steven Universe has absolutely none of that.

I'm not saying SU doesn't have its roots in anime (christ, it's an Americanized magical girl shoujo) but to say that it has the bad qualities of anime is to be in denial about what makes anime bad.

Alternatively, it is possible to make an Americanized anime that features all of the above and still be very, very good. Avatar: The Last Airbender hits all those points except the last one. The Matrix hits all of them besides the second one.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 13, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I like the anime Noir.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

Here?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

lelandjs posted:

4. Badly written female characters (go ahead, counter this example, I dare you)

Do you mean post examples of good female anime characters? Because the only ones I can think of all come from Cowboy Bebop.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PriorMarcus posted:

Do you mean post examples of good female anime characters? Because the only ones I can think of all come from Cowboy Bebop.

Yeah I should've said "try and counter this without using Bebop or Miyazaki".

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Oh. I've never even read the threads for those shows except Gravity Falls then, but college level analysis occurs in every thread here, and was seemingly conceived in CineD. It's not really limited to the cartoon ones, I don't think so at least.

lelandjs posted:

I'm tapped out then.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

Oh. I've never even read the threads for those shows except Gravity Falls then,

You choose wisely.

quote:

but college level analysis occurs in every thread here, and was seemingly conceived in CineD. It's not really limited to the cartoon ones, I don't think so at least.

At least most CD threads are somewhat readable, none of the masturbatory deaf arthur poo poo in CD comes even close to the battle of rabid one-upsmanship of who is the most insightful like cartoon threads (except when it comes to superhero movies I guess). There's a reason why a certain one must not be named, after all.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
In non-animation chat (I'm not just a one trick pony), TiVo has acquired Aereo's assets. They didn't get the patents, but I'm kinda hoping that this means I'll be able to stream local channels over my phone without TiVo Stream (since TiVo can prove that I own, and use, an antenna).

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 13, 2015

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

raditts posted:

You choose wisely.

At least most CD threads are somewhat readable, none of the masturbatory deaf arthur poo poo in CD comes even close to the battle of rabid one-upsmanship of who is the most insightful like cartoon threads (except when it comes to superhero movies I guess). There's a reason why a certain one must not be named, after all.

It's not overanalysis if the college-level readings are confirmed correct by the writers of the show. That's just analysis.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenNight posted:

I like the anime Noir.

I hadn't heard of it before, it sounds pretty good. Too bad it's not on Netflix.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

lelandjs posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and take this bait, but I'm going to take it with the caveat that, assuming you even agree, this is one of those exceptions that proves the rule. But there's a show that's been running called Shirobako -- a slice-of-life workplace dramedy about five twenty-something girls working at the bottom rungs of the anime industry -- that's been killing it in this area. It plays a little like an Aaron Sorkin series without his Limousine Liberal condescension or his weird hangups about women, technology, or millennials. And anything you might hate about anime is only present in the shows-within-the-show, which you only get tiny glimpses of. If you have any tolerance for anime, keep an eye out for it.

Okay, I'm gonna go sit in the corner and think about what I've done.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's really not worth engaging with the cliche goon prejudice against anime, simply because it is the equivalent of trying to converse with people who would write off all scripted American cable TV based on the prevalence of Pawn Stars style 'reality' programming.

It's wilful ignorance proudly masquerading as some sort of superior taste.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DivisionPost posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and take this bait, but I'm going to take it with the caveat that, assuming you even agree, this is one of those exceptions that proves the rule. But there's a show that's been running called Shirobako -- a slice-of-life workplace dramedy about five twenty-something girls working at the bottom rungs of the anime industry -- that's been killing it in this area. It plays a little like an Aaron Sorkin series without his Limousine Liberal condescension or his weird hangups about women, technology, or millennials. And anything you might hate about anime is only present in the shows-within-the-show, which you only get tiny glimpses of. If you have any tolerance for anime, keep an eye out for it.

Okay, I'm gonna go sit in the corner and think about what I've done.

Not gonna lie, I was kinda baiting in the hopes that people would recommend anime that has well written female characters. Seems to be working pretty well so far!

Looks like it's on Crunchyroll, I'll check it out.

[Edit: 8 minutes in and a character's jealous of another character's breast size. I mean, I guess that's a thing that happens, but to actively speak up about it? I dunno, that strikes me as pretty fanservicey. I'll keep watching, though.]

[Edit 2: Okay, second episode and they've realized "hey, we need to give the characters (in the show-within-the-show) personalities beyond bust size and blood type! And maybe it's okay if they show actual emotion!" which is pretty loving great. And I know understand why you compared it to the Newsroom.]

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

It's really not worth engaging with the cliche goon prejudice against anime, simply because it is the equivalent of trying to converse with people who would write off all scripted American cable TV based on the prevalence of Pawn Stars style 'reality' programming.

It's wilful ignorance proudly masquerading as some sort of superior taste.

Hey now, I've never said that I haven't watched anime with those qualities. poo poo, I've watched episodes of Rin: Daughters of Melodyne, Highschool of the Dead, even loving Queens Blade. It's just that I would never, ever try to say that those shows were anything more than just mindless, dumb entertainment (Rin actually did have some interesting things to say, and was very well animated, but so, so, so troublesome in a more than a few ways).

And the issues I mentioned are prevalent across all genres of anime, especially the fan service and badly written female characters. Saying that I'm being reductionist about anime is to be in denial about the issues inherent in anime.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The worst part of the SU thread was the guy who started talking in great detail about a new fanfiction he had an idea for who called people mean when they didn't care.

• Locked thread