Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

1500quidporsche posted:

That car sounds like a lemon. You've pretty much replaced the entire front suspension on a nine year old car. Unless you're taking it to track days there's no reason you should be going through brakes and tires like that.

Control arms triangulate the wheels so that could be behind some of the harshness in handling. I'd question why they weren't replaced while the bushings were done though if its that bad.

They weren't replaced because my theory is the dealership repair center was pants on head stupid. They replaced one strut (front left). Then they told me it wasn't that, it was the bushing, so they replaced the one bushing, by itself. Should an alignment be done at that point, or some point like that? Just asking because none was and I later found out I was really out of alignment after it started pulling way left and my tires got hosed up in about a month.

Midas shop's the one that said I really should replace the lower control arms if the bushings go bad or else they'll probably just go bad again.

I should probably get a new car simply because I don't need the full sedan size anymore (used to move a lot in the military, it was pretty good for that). So I guess going back to my second question, what do I need to disclose about its issues to prospective buyers? I tend to be super honest, but I think saying "I hate how it always seems to have suspension problems I can never fix" would be a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Pander posted:

They weren't replaced because my theory is the dealership repair center was pants on head stupid. They replaced one strut (front left). Then they told me it wasn't that, it was the bushing, so they replaced the one bushing, by itself. Should an alignment be done at that point, or some point like that? Just asking because none was and I later found out I was really out of alignment after it started pulling way left and my tires got hosed up in about a month.

Midas shop's the one that said I really should replace the lower control arms if the bushings go bad or else they'll probably just go bad again.

I should probably get a new car simply because I don't need the full sedan size anymore (used to move a lot in the military, it was pretty good for that). So I guess going back to my second question, what do I need to disclose about its issues to prospective buyers? I tend to be super honest, but I think saying "I hate how it always seems to have suspension problems I can never fix" would be a bad idea.

Your whole situation seems more like incompetence/poor communication that would be solved by not visiting either of those shops again and taking it to someone who will actually fix your problem.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Pander posted:

Should an alignment be done at that point, or some point like that? Just asking because none was and I later found out I was really out of alignment after it started pulling way left and my tires got hosed up in about a month.

Any time you do major suspension work (ie, replacing components) an alignment should be done. In addition at the bare minimum every time you replace tires (at normal wear rates) you should at least have it checked and realigned if out of spec. A nearly 10 year old car should have been realigned at least once in its lifetime.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I think a mechanic hosed me, don't know what to do.

I have a '99 Camry, its pretty beat up and really showing its age but I have taken very good care of the engine and have never had a problem with it. The most glaring issue is my alignment is off-kilter so I need to keep my steering wheel slightly cocked to the left to keep the car straight, it's not a big issue and its easy to fix. I brought my car in on Monday for a standard oil change and tire rotation (they had a good deal to get this done for $50), what I didn't know is they did a whole checkup on my car. They called me and told me the basic poo poo, my tie rods are slightly messed up, my alignment is off, and the battery is at 30% capacity (which I think is utter bullshit I replaced it about 2 years ago).

When I got my car back though, its almost completely undriveable. I don't know if it's because of the tie rods or the alignment but my car swerves heavily to the right now and I have to keep my steering wheel turned almost 90 degrees to the left to keep it steady, its shaky as all hell when I hit 40mph. I called them the next day and explained this to them and they gave me the expected bullshit, "Well we didn't actually touch any of that we just looked at it and blah blah your car is a piece of poo poo and old so you can't blame us, you should buy tires from us", that made me pretty livid. I told him that this was unacceptable and I'm bringing it in on Saturday to have them take a second look and fix what they did. In the meantime I'm driving the company van because I'm literally afraid to drive my car anywhere.

I'm not very car-savvy so I want to have as much info as possible when I go in so I don't get talked down to again by some prick, I'm thinking when they rotated my tires they forgot to balance them... That's giving them the benefit of the doubt though, they were so unapologetic and pushy to get me to buy tires from them that I'm starting to think they did this deliberately.

So what should I do on Saturday? I'm going to be loving pissed if I bring it in and they don't/refuse to fix it, I won't have a car basically.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's impossible to diagnose something like that over the internet but I would say it has nothing to do with wheel balance, it sounds more like they didn't put the wheels on properly, or hosed with something in the steering that they shouldn't have. I don't often say this but if you're an american, lawyering up is probably the best course of action.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I would take it somewhere else to get it fixed. Don't reward them by paying them to unfuck whatever they did to it.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

SperginMcBadposter posted:

I would take it somewhere else to get it fixed. Don't reward them by paying them to unfuck whatever they did to it.

There's no way in hell I'm paying them to un-gently caress it. I'm bringing it in so they can fix what they hosed and I'm not paying a dime.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

zundfolge posted:

One of those would work-thanks for reminding me of them. The cable just has to make a 90-degree turn, or else it runs into the air cleaner or the intercooler piping.

As for getting one from the junkyard, the factory positive cable corrodes after 15+ years and its resistance gets high enough that it heats up a lot when a lot of accessories are running. It can also cause problems with the CAN bus because the modules reset if the system voltage drops below a certain threshold. Finally, the stock cable runs inside a wire duct and you can't easily remove it without either destroying the duct or cutting off the starter terminal. I guess the former doesn't matter so much in a junkyard car, but it's a lot of work for a crappy cable.

You can clean the corrosion and what does it matter where the cable runs if you're only looking for the terminal?

The V70 cables are pretty long and easily accessible:

Okay, maybe I just miss going to junkyards for cheap parts.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

iv46vi posted:

You can clean the corrosion and what does it matter where the cable runs if you're only looking for the terminal?

The V70 cables are pretty long and easily accessible:

Okay, maybe I just miss going to junkyards for cheap parts.

The corrosion I'm talking about is inside the insulation because Volvo was too cheap to heat shrink the terminals. As for the terminal itself, I didn't think you could reuse crimp terminals like that.

e: so I don't look blind the end that connects to the starter isn't sealed with heat shrink and that's what gets crusty.

SUSE Creamcheese fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 12, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My car is starting to stink after highway driving. Is there any way I can distinguish whether the smell is tires, brakes, or clutch? My TOB is making noise, so I'm leaning towards clutch, but I haven't been shifting at all for the entire drive until maybe 3 minutes before I park.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Brakes and clutch smell about the same, you can narrow it down based on whether the smell is coming from the wheels or the transmission area.

Tires smell different.

Also - to the guy with the modulator noise issues - I forgot to mention, I think you are on the right track for sure since the noise is wideband spread across the entire FM broadcast range, that definitely eliminates overmodulation as a possibility, I'm pretty sure the modulator is junk at this point. And glad to hear you only temporarily wired it to the battery direct, I've seen car fires start that way so I figured I should mention it regardless.

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 11, 2015

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Fart Pipe posted:

He said it quit when he was going around a corner or something but Ill know more once I can take a look at it. It didnt have any weird problems like you described until the not running one today.

Ok so I got a look at the Del Sol today and it looks like its not the main relay. Fuel pump works and the engine light turns off like its supposed to (thanks Aceofnett) but it doesnt have spark. We found 2 of the plug wires loose and the cap and rotor were in horrible condition. I guess that with no load on the coil it can destroy the coil or ignitor? I had never heard of that previous to this but one of the youtube videos for the main relay mentioned it. So we went to remove the rotor and found the screw that was supposed to be holding it on completely missing. Ended up destroying the rotor and the metal collar that holds it on to the shaft WILL NOT COME OFF like a huge oval office. So my dad is going to get a distributor from the junk yard so we at least know we'll have a known good coil/ignitor to work with. Of course I wasnt able to check if the injectors were working because I forgot my test light.

So I guess my question is if that the coil/ignitor is something that would quit suddenly if the spark plugs werent connected securely? Im going back on Sunday to do some tests to see of its the crank speed sensor when I can get a reading off the injectors to see if they are firing after we put the new dizzy on.

Is the crank angle sensor something known to go suddenly on Hondas? Its just a regular old D15, not the hot rod Vtec model.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Put it this way: at any given junkyard in my town, all of which are crammed with pedestrian JDM vehicles, the top three things I can almost never find are:

1. Nissan pulsar tacho
2. Toyota Distributor
3. Honda distributor

They fail fairly often on neglected cars, either from abuse as you described or (more common on Toyota) from the shaft seal leaking and covering the coil and everything else in engine oil.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Put it this way: at any given junkyard in my town, all of which are crammed with pedestrian JDM vehicles, the top three things I can almost never find are:

1. Nissan pulsar tacho
2. Toyota Distributor
3. Honda distributor

They fail fairly often on neglected cars, either from abuse as you described or (more common on Toyota) from the shaft seal leaking and covering the coil and everything else in engine oil.

Dammit, I hope thats not the case with this junkyard. Its huge and they usually have the parts on the shelf so they dont have to pull them. That would make this simple fix thats already going sideways even more fun than it has been already.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pander posted:

I've got a 2006 Hyundai Sonata (GLS V6 3.3L) with 105k miles on it. I bought it at about 20k, and only needed typical maintenance until about 70k. Since then I've seemed to hit this cycle of problems related to anything remotely connected to the wheels/suspension.

-Multiple brake/rotor replacements
-Upper control arm replacements
-Tire replacements (probably replaced a total of 10 tires)
-Front end struts
-Bushing replacement
-More poo poo I can't remember and probably need to grab the records in my glovebox to jog my memory (I'll do this during lunch break)
-Basically $800-$1500 worth of problems a year on suspension/wheel stuff alone

I've gone to a mix of Hyundai dealerships (holy poo poo they suck so bad) and local places trying to find some trustworthy and competent people, and the best I've done is the local Midas shop that don't charge me to diagnose stuff if they don't do work, and generally go out of their way to show me what the problem is visually. I'm starting to learn more about cars, but compared to pretty much any other poster in this subforum I'm absolutely clueless, so that's a hell of a lot better than the dealership (that did stuff in hindsight seems ungodly stupid).

Anyway, the midas guys say that replacing bushings isn't a really good move in general, they're bad again, and that my car now needs lower control arm replacements if I want to stop my latest problem of slight rocking/shuddering during accelerations/turns/braking for more than a couple months.

So about $1500.

Given the car's age, I think spending this much money on suspension stuff alone is getting stupid. So my stupid question is "will fixing the lower control arm likely end my recent cycle of recurring problems and let me enjoy another 3-5 years of good use of my car, which has had zero engine/transmission issues ever, or should I just go bite the bullet and get a new drat car?"

Related question: if I DO sell or trade in the Sonata, do I have to disclose this issue beyond handing the prospective buyer past maintenance records? If so, what do I disclose? It's not the most noticeable thing in the world yet, I am just super aware because I've driven it 80k miles. It's probably another month or two away from really making rocking creaking noises when going over bumps and stuff.

Normally I'd just jump at the new car, but I'm already making payments on a Forester I got with the fiance. So being cheap for another few years would be nice, if it's possible.

Your car had a poo poo-ton of recalls, including some for the problems you mentioned fixing with your own money:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Hyundai/Sonata/2006/recalls/

Check your car's VIN here and make sure all the recall work has been performed:

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/recall/

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fart Pipe posted:

Ok so I got a look at the Del Sol today and it looks like its not the main relay. Fuel pump works and the engine light turns off like its supposed to (thanks Aceofnett) but it doesnt have spark. We found 2 of the plug wires loose and the cap and rotor were in horrible condition. I guess that with no load on the coil it can destroy the coil or ignitor? I had never heard of that previous to this but one of the youtube videos for the main relay mentioned it. So we went to remove the rotor and found the screw that was supposed to be holding it on completely missing. Ended up destroying the rotor and the metal collar that holds it on to the shaft WILL NOT COME OFF like a huge oval office. So my dad is going to get a distributor from the junk yard so we at least know we'll have a known good coil/ignitor to work with. Of course I wasnt able to check if the injectors were working because I forgot my test light.

So I guess my question is if that the coil/ignitor is something that would quit suddenly if the spark plugs werent connected securely? Im going back on Sunday to do some tests to see of its the crank speed sensor when I can get a reading off the injectors to see if they are firing after we put the new dizzy on.

Is the crank angle sensor something known to go suddenly on Hondas? Its just a regular old D15, not the hot rod Vtec model.

I'm betting that screw backed out and got tossed around inside the distributor; probably what caused it to die. If there was no load from the loose wires, it would have been pulling 2 cylinder action long before it died.

The screw backing out is actually kind of common (on Hondas) if you don't use a dab of loctite on it when you change the rotor. Usually it causes the rotor to back off just enough to stop spinning, but if it's seized on the shaft, the screw gets pulverized into conductive dust (or it creates a new exit through the cap).

I'm betting once it has a new distributor on it, it'll fire right up. And being the D15, you can use a distributor from any other D15 Civic (as long as you match OBD1 or OBD2). Possibly a D16 non-VTEC distributor.

The crank angle sensor is part of the oil pump assembly on OBD2 D series engines, doesn't exist on OBD1. They very rarely fail.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 12, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

I'm betting that screw backed out and got tossed around inside the distributor; probably what caused it to die. If there was no load from the loose wires, it would have been pulling 2 cylinder action long before it died.

The screw backing out is actually kind of common (on Hondas) if you don't use a dab of loctite on it when you change the rotor. Usually it causes the rotor to back off just enough to stop spinning, but if it's seized on the shaft, the screw gets pulverized into conductive dust (or it creates a new exit through the cap).

I'm betting once it has a new distributor on it, it'll fire right up. And being the D15, you can use a distributor from any other D15 Civic (as long as you match OBD1 or OBD2). Possibly a D16 non-VTEC distributor.

The crank angle sensor is part of the oil pump assembly on OBD2 D series engines, doesn't exist on OBD1. They very rarely fail.

Can confirm that a D16 one works on the d15.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

The screw was just not there at all, no remnants, no damage, just a supremely rusty hole where it should have been. There is no way that the last person that changed the cap/rotor installed the screw. This was my moms car and when she died and when we sold it to my dad it only had about 100k on it so that screw had been missing for at least 85k miles and 10 years.

Got a text from my dad though and Slavvy called it, they didnt have one at the junk yard, haha. I guess a new one is only like $230 so my dads gonna get it tomorrow.

Good to know about the crank angle sensor, Ill check that on Sunday but I think it might be OBD1 since its a 95, I dont know a ton about Hondas though.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

EugeneJ posted:

Your car had a poo poo-ton of recalls, including some for the problems you mentioned fixing with your own money:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Hyundai/Sonata/2006/recalls/

Check your car's VIN here and make sure all the recall work has been performed:

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/recall/

I got the corrosion recall done. The rest I'm not sure about, though the link said no recalls found for my VIN. None of them seem to deal with the front steering/suspension systems much, mostly seems electrical.

I'm going to make myself feel better by assuming it's something that will probably never get completely fixed, and just get a new car rather than throw good money after bad. This car got 30k miles further than my 1st car (93 Corsica, front end melted down) and about 20k further than my 2nd (95 Lumina, stopped starting and I didn't have the knowledge to figure it out). 4th time's the charm, I assume. Thanks.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
So, here's my project. 1995 LT1 with a 383 eagle stroker crank going into a 1967 chevy C20 pickup with a Muncie SM420 transmission. In theory this will mate fine, as the LT1 is the same block as a gen-1 SBC. Here's my concern though.
This is the rear of an LT1, not mine, but you get the idea:

This is what the SM420 flywheel came off of:

I've been lead to believe that all SBCs, including the LT1 are balanced the same, and so therefore the SM420 flywheel will bolt right up and balance my LT1. Am I correct? that external balancer thing attached to the old engine is weirding me out. I don't really know of a way to test the engine's balance though outside of dismantling it all again....

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Old motor is probably a 400. I've never seen the back of one, but they're externally balanced. Keep in mind, though, that stroker kits are almost always externally balanced too. So, good chance they'll both be "weird." The only thing I'd worry about is the one-piece rear main seal that everything '86+ is. I think they use different flywheels?

Edit: Actually, I'm stupid. Internally/externally balanced only affects the front of the motor, i.e. what damper you need to use. Looks like that counterweight flange thing was changed when they went to 1-piece rear main seal, so I should have recognized it because I've had three 2-piece SBCs now. Doyy.

http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engine-swap/635574-one-piece-vs-two.html This thread straightened me out.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 12, 2015

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

The old motor is a targetmaster 350, basically a cheap GM crate motor, made in 1980 I believe. For the one-piece vs two piece rear main seals, how does that affect the flywheels? The engine i've got is on a bellhousing stand, so I can't test fit the flywheel. If I need a different flywheel, will a SM420 clutch kit bolt up to say, an LT1 flywheel?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Deceptor101 posted:

The old motor is a targetmaster 350, basically a cheap GM crate motor, made in 1980 I believe. For the one-piece vs two piece rear main seals, how does that affect the flywheels? The engine i've got is on a bellhousing stand, so I can't test fit the flywheel. If I need a different flywheel, will a SM420 clutch kit bolt up to say, an LT1 flywheel?

According to that thread I edited into my other post, the flywheels are not compatible between 1-piece and 2-piece RMS motors. Whether the clutch stuff from the SM420 will bolt up I'm not sure, additional googling will be required.

E: According to this Pirate thread, the SM420 clutch should work with a TBI 1-piece RMS flywheel; not sure how it differs from the LT1 flywheel. If you already have the LT1 flywheel, I guess it would be pretty simple to measure it out?

Raluek fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 12, 2015

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

I don't have an LT1 flywheel handy, the one that came off the 383 went into our lemons car with the T56. I guess if I'm buying a flywheel and clutch kit, I'd like to only buy one. I'll see if I can test fit the SM420 flywheel tomorrow, although it seems pretty clear that won't fly. I'll see if I can find a parts store with a TBI flywheel in stock and see if the clutch will bolt up to it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Deceptor101 posted:

I don't have an LT1 flywheel handy, the one that came off the 383 went into our lemons car with the T56. I guess if I'm buying a flywheel and clutch kit, I'd like to only buy one. I'll see if I can test fit the SM420 flywheel tomorrow, although it seems pretty clear that won't fly. I'll see if I can find a parts store with a TBI flywheel in stock and see if the clutch will bolt up to it.

The downside to using a TBI flywheel is that you'd have to swap out the starter with it, due to different tooth counts. If you can get a good look at the SM420 flywheel maybe you can find a picture or schematic of the TBI flywheel or something. I dunno. Unless you're friends with someone at a parts store who can let you take careful measurements of inventory, that would be pretty cool.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fart Pipe posted:

Good to know about the crank angle sensor, Ill check that on Sunday but I think it might be OBD1 since its a 95, I dont know a ton about Hondas though.

A 95 USDM/CDM Honda will definitely be OBD1, even a late 95. They really didn't have to add much to make them work with OBD2 though - an OBD2 D series will run happily in an OBD1 car with only swapping a couple of sensors (if that), though you'd have to add a few sensors to run an OBD1 D series in an OBD2 car. Distributor may also be different.

Sounds like whoever was last in there didn't bother with the cap gasket either; it shouldn't have been rusty in there. I'm betting the tach went apeshit just before it died, if it failed the same way that my Integra's distributor failed. The tach looked like Michael J Fox right before mine died, and about 30 minutes before it started twitching at random.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

At least toyotas have the decency to just stall immediately then run like a misfiring oval office at the slightest hint of moisture. You can't damage what you can't drive!

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Raluek posted:

The downside to using a TBI flywheel is that you'd have to swap out the starter with it, due to different tooth counts. If you can get a good look at the SM420 flywheel maybe you can find a picture or schematic of the TBI flywheel or something. I dunno. Unless you're friends with someone at a parts store who can let you take careful measurements of inventory, that would be pretty cool.

I have an aftermarket Hitachi PSL100 starter which, after a panicked googling says it should work with 153 or 168 tooth flywheel. A bit more research says the sm420 was a 14.1" flywheel with an 11" clutch, where the lt1 flywheel was 12.8" with an 11" clutch. My guess is it won't bolt up, but there's a store on the way home that has three lt1 flywheels in stock, so I'll just see if my sm420 pressure plate will bolt to it. Although really I'm buying a flywheel anyways, so whether its the tbi 14" or the lt1 12.8" doesn't matter. Perhaps a bigger flywheel is good for a truck?

E: the 1993 TBI truck flywheel fit the pressure plate perfectly. Lucky they had both in stock. I'll test fit it when I get it on the cradle stand next week. Thanks for the help with this!

Deceptor101 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 13, 2015

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
http://www.weathertech.com floor mats: Yay or Nay?

My '95 Nissan truck mats are looking wretched and, as much as I'd like identical OEM ones, they are carpeted and I want something more durable. The WT mats caught my eye because they have a hole for the mat anchor. Any experience with the company or have any others in mind that I should consider?

Arriviste fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 13, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Arriviste posted:

http://www.weathertech.com floor mats: Yay or Nay?

My '95 Nissan truck mats are looking wretched and, as much as I'd like identical OEM ones, they are carpeted and I want something more durable. The WT mats caught my eye because they have a hole for the mat anchor. Any experience with the company or have any others in mind that I should consider?

They're great, but expensive. Since they aren't rubber they don't have as much friction when they get wet. First time I cleaned them I about busted my rear end trying to get in.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Bovril Delight posted:

They're great, but expensive. Since they aren't rubber they don't have as much friction when they get wet. First time I cleaned them I about busted my rear end trying to get in.

Good point about the slip factor. Doesn't sound ideal when climbing into the truck. I have a small, channeled, plastic mat for where my right heel rests to help prolong the life of the old floor mat. It gets on my nerves when my shoes are wet.

trout!!
Mar 3, 2004
I've got a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 120k miles on the clock. It's the 4.0L inline 6 and the thing is a beast. I've been putting gas in the thing for close to a decade and love it.

It's developed some weird issues, namely a ghost in the A/C system that my mechanic can't seem to figure out. We've replaced hoses, seals and even the condenser to no avail. Which takes a back seat to..

The rough idle and misfires AFTER warmup. When it starts cold, things are great. After a 15 - 20 minute drive somewhere, it'll shake like a paint mixer and start throwing 3rd cyl misfire codes.

Thoughts? Before checking it out, the mechanic thought it might be an issue with the valve lifter seals, which would be $3800 to fix. YIKES.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
My new modulator should be arriving today and I plan on installing it after work. The past couple days, though, I've noticed more static on radio stations (still not nearly as much as when the bad modulator was connected and turned on). I don't know if this static is new, or if I'm just hyper-aware of it after dealing with this modulator stuff. Assuming the antenna cables (I have two going into the back of my unit) are connected fully, is there anything else that could be adding static? I've seen some stuff mentioning a poorly grounded antenna. Could that be causing something like this? Would I need to tear my car apart to find where the antenna is grounded (the antenna is located on the roof of my car near the back).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

killingthebest posted:

I've got a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 120k miles on the clock. It's the 4.0L inline 6 and the thing is a beast. I've been putting gas in the thing for close to a decade and love it.

It's developed some weird issues, namely a ghost in the A/C system that my mechanic can't seem to figure out. We've replaced hoses, seals and even the condenser to no avail. Which takes a back seat to..

The rough idle and misfires AFTER warmup. When it starts cold, things are great. After a 15 - 20 minute drive somewhere, it'll shake like a paint mixer and start throwing 3rd cyl misfire codes.

Thoughts? Before checking it out, the mechanic thought it might be an issue with the valve lifter seals, which would be $3800 to fix. YIKES.

First of all I don't care where you are, it'll cost you less to drive the thing to central Mass and pay me a couple cases of beer to do the valve stem seals or a small amount to do the lifters than he's quoting you. Even an engine swap is a weekend project and wouldn't cost you more than about 700 in parts, fluids, consumables, gaskets, etc.

However, neither of those things is your issue and you should tell him to gently caress off.

Google "jeep precat heatsoak vapor lock" and put your radiator fan on a timer so it runs for a couple minutes after shutting the vehicle off. Most people set one up based off a couple relays and an ELK 960 general purpose timer module, just make sure you do it right so it doesn't set a CEL for fan relay coil circuit malfunction or run your battery flat.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Seconding kastein here, my TJ likes to do that in the summer. There's a TSB for it, in fact. Not covered by Chrysler, but they officially recognize the issue and there is a factory-approved repair method, which is to add a heat shield to the number 3 injector.

trout!!
Mar 3, 2004

kastein posted:

First of all I don't care where you are, it'll cost you less to drive the thing to central Mass and pay me a couple cases of beer to do the valve stem seals or a small amount to do the lifters than he's quoting you. Even an engine swap is a weekend project and wouldn't cost you more than about 700 in parts, fluids, consumables, gaskets, etc.

Yeah, the price sounded outrageously high considering how repairable the 4.0L is. Couple of cases of beer sounds more like a fair trade to me than the multiple paychecks I was quoted.

kastein posted:

However, neither of those things is your issue and you should tell him to gently caress off.

I just might quote you depending on what he comes back with ;)

EightBit posted:

Seconding kastein here, my TJ likes to do that in the summer. There's a TSB for it, in fact. Not covered by Chrysler, but they officially recognize the issue and there is a factory-approved repair method, which is to add a heat shield to the number 3 injector.

I found info on this after reading Kastein's google tip, I'm going to give this a shot if the shop doesn't suggest it or identify the issue under the heat soak TSB.

Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What's your A/C ghost? Maybe somebody here could help with that too.

trout!!
Mar 3, 2004

CharlesM posted:

What's your A/C ghost? Maybe somebody here could help with that too.

It's not holding a charge, I've all the connections and tubing replaced for leaks - including the condenser (it was pushing the refrigerant into my transmission fluid). It's still not holding a charge for longer than a day, which is frustrating.

The compressor passed testing, so I'm not really sure what to try next!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

killingthebest posted:

It's not holding a charge, I've all the connections and tubing replaced for leaks - including the condenser (it was pushing the refrigerant into my transmission fluid). It's still not holding a charge for longer than a day, which is frustrating.

The compressor passed testing, so I'm not really sure what to try next!

Have you checked the evaporator? If you have a UV light, I'd shine it on the evaporator drain under the truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
87 Mazda B2000

I'm replacing the inner and outer tie rod ends. I didn't notice in my Haynes manual if the stud needed to be centered properly before the nuts are tightened down or if I could just eyeball it. Anyone know the answer?