Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Alot of this is going to be taken from my post about this in my Sundance topic because I'm lazy

It Follows is the unholy love child of an 80s slasher film and The Ring stripped down to the most basic elements. The film is a deconstruction but not in the usual sense. It's not a film that takes elements and then points to them and then comments on them. It’s a deconstruction almost in a culinary sense in that it takes the base elements of something well known, does them really well and puts them all front in center without anything muddling them. It takes tropes that are mostly unquestioned in horror films and just runs with them. This isn't a film about making fun of or analyzing the elements of a horror film. It's more about taking some basic elements, adding nothing them and pushing them as far as they'll go. It’s pretty cool.

The setup is pretty straightforward: a girl sleeps with her new boyfriend for the first time. In their post coital state he chloroforms her and ties her up. When she wakes up he tells her that because she has slept with him, she will now have a thing coming after her. It will come at her as slow walking speed thing and can take any form. If it catches her, it will kill her. If she dies, the thing will go after him again. If she sleeps with someone else, the thing will then go after that person. If that person dies, this thing will once again go after her. The monster in this movie is essentially sexually transmitted.

That setup is most of what we get for background. Slight spoiler but It never explains what this thing is and why it does what it does which is the way I like it. The movie is just spent with the characters trying to deal with this thing and find a way around just passing it off to someone else. The characters are all pretty much what you’d expect from a horror movie (the main character girl, the sister, the out of the main character’s league childhood best friend, the cool neighbor, etc…), but they all have more depth to them than those tropes indicate. I’m not going to say that these are amazing characters but they’re likable enough and they act in a way that’s believable given the ridiculous circumstances. They will still act in ways that will urge you to yell at the screen but their motivation is still usually pretty easy to follow.

The movie in general is just really well made with a very dynamic camera that sets up some really good scares. This is a movie where even the jump scares are creative enough that you can’t be too mad at them. The movie has an odd thing where it seems pretty tame except when it’s not. It’s mostly not that violent but when it’s violent, it’s pretty violent. Despite sex being a central plot point, the main character never actually get naked, but the thing that’s pursuing them is often in various unsettling states of undress. It’s a movie that knows how to use its sex and violence and as a result doesn’t use them cheaply, which is rare.

The movie also contains one of the more unique synth scores I’ve ever heard. Done by the guys who did the music for Fez, It’s really jarring and often kind of distracting, sometimes to the point of being comical, but it also sort of rules really hard. It’s hard for me to really judge it because it’s really unique and I’m not sure if it’s so awful that it’s awesome or it’s just awesome. Actually having listened to it more I've determined that, yeah, it's just awesome. I mean just listen to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP6LuXPkGfA

So yeah, see this movie. It rules. I loved it and my friend who doesn’t like horror movies also liked it. I’ll be surprised if there’s a better horror movie this year. I think it's coming out March 13th. I only say this because when I look it up that's what it says, so keep an eye out for it.

Here is the trailer (be warned: it gives away a few good scares):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkZYbOH0ujw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
(Copypasting in something I wrote elsewhere, in case anyone is really bored. Tl;whythefuckwouldiread: Really good movie, actually scary and like all great horror has some cool stuff going on under the surface. I'll have those youtube links you posted open in tabs for quite a while, at least until i can track down a physical copy of the score. It's become a cliche to ape eighties music, but this film does it so well. )

It Follows is explicitly a horror film styled in the vein of those that were released in the VHS era of the eighties; with the anachronistic synth-score, suburban fashions and furnishings to fit. It is centered on a girl, Jay, who after a successful date has sex with her boyfriend for the first time – in a scene that troublingly evokes date rape and issues of consent as symbolism more than story elements, as if to represent how she feels about the experience and not its reality, as if they are separate things – and subsequently finds herself being followed by a strange supernatural figure whose slow advance never stops, but can briefly be steered away to stalk and slaughter the next person that she sleeps with. On the surface this synopsis suggests itself to be a metaphor for sexually transmitted diseases and seems anti-sex, had it actually been made in the eighties the movie may well have actually been about say, the AIDS epidemic, as a close reading proves Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy’s Revenge to problematically be. This expectation is perhaps driven by the fact that there is a certain kind of sex shaming inherent in the stereotypical structure of a slasher film; the ‘sluts’ die first and the virgin last, if at all. Even in the most ‘satanistic’ of genres conservative values shine through; as Scream highlighted when two of its three rules for surviving a cliché horror film were ‘Don’t have Sex’ and ‘Don’t drink or take drugs’.

The actual meaning behind the movie’s metaphor is much more mercurial than it first appears; what it is saying and where it stands on sex are both somewhat unclear at the end of the film. It isn’t trying to make a point about teen sexuality so much as to simply present it through a parallel emotional experience and start a discussion, be it literal or internal. The presence that follows the protagonist, Jay – its nature is never explained and it has no known origin – doesn’t have consistent visual design. It takes on many different human forms, including those of the ones you love, as the film so often stresses. Though it’s not expressed explicitly in the film my reading of the chosen forms was that they all, in some way, represent Jay’s different sexual fears and fantasies – without the positive implications that word usually includes – linking the film literally and linguistically with Stephen King’s It which also included an antagonist that took the form of characters inner fears. Included in It’s repertoire are a naked middle aged woman (possibly representing the open and natural sexuality of adulthood as seen by a teen), an elderly lady (mirroring the title card from the game ‘Old Maid’ that is played by the characters in an earlier scene. This is the image of wasting your sexuality and missing out on its use), the young neighbour who spies on her as she swims in her backyard (the clash of voyeurism and exhibitionism; the desire to be desired), a bound and bruised girl barely older than Jay herself ( the victim of some sort of sexual assault, the idea of losing control of your sexuality, of having it taken from you) and finally her absent father ( Jung’s ‘Electra complex’ in action). There are others and psychoanalytical readings of those would likely also uncover some sexual root or symbolism to each, but what’s more important is that they each in their own way represent what may await Jay now that she has awoken her sexuality and for her all of them are scary and confronting visions. The monster here doesn’t simply kill those who have sex, it is sex in all of its possible permutations and is therefore equally good and bad and yet utterly free from any such classifications.

More than its form, however, it is the behavior of the monster in It Follows that makes it frightening. It never stops seeking you, at best you can temporarily tag it onto someone else by sleeping with them but its return is inevitable. This fact is highlighted in the film by the reading of a quote from Dostoyevsky’s The Idiot (a book read by teens everywhere, right?): “I should imagine the most terrible part of the whole punishment is, not the bodily pain at all--but the certain knowledge that in an hour,--then in ten minutes, then in half a minute, then now--this very instant--your soul must quit your body and that you will no longer be a person-- and that this is certain, certain! That's the point--the certainty of it. ” The use of this quote and imagery not only equates sex with death, but with the continuation of life because just as our eventual death is certain and unavoidable so is our maturation from childhood to adulthood. Another interesting facet of the phantom in It Follows is that it is invisible to almost everyone besides Jay, only those in the chain of victims –those who have had their sexuality awakened - can see it and this works to evoke the alienation of that age.

Adults are all but non-existent in this world; the characters’ single parents are seemingly always at work, strangers ignore them and when they are present in a scene – such as the teachers at school – they are shot as headless busts and their words are warbled and unintelligible as they were in Peanuts cartoons. This isn’t something that kids feel they can talk to adults like their parents about, either because of embarrassment or since they are scared of receiving a patronising or polemical response like those present in most stories prior to this past decade. Ironically the few adults that we do see all seem to have active sexual lives that exist just outside of the character’s perspectives. Jay’s friends, while supportive, are all younger than her and therefore don’t understand what she’s going through at first; she is separated from them, made a sort of social pariah as a result of her having had sex; a common reaction to those whose sexuality is made public prior to their peers. They become children to her, innocent and inexperienced, and as a result she struggles to find their activities satisfying in the way that she once did. Sex is often described as the little death, or la petite mort, in reference to its inherent expenditure of energy but the euphemistic phrase is also used to describe when a part of someone dies and it could be argued that someone’s first sexual encounter is in a way the death of their child self and their rebirth as an adult. This death too is unavoidable.

What’s most admirable about the film is the way in which it remains ambiguous about an issue that is generally dealt with in un-relatable extremes. Sex in stories is generally either the wicked sin or the perfect prize for winning out over some contrived conflict, it’s rarely ever just one in a list of things that happens; and while it is still the dramatic catalyst for the story and a defining moment in it, the film works to make us question why that need be the case without ever stating strongly one way or the other. For as much change and conflict is set off by the sex in It Follows the film returns remarkably close to the status quo by its end; the characters have changed, sure, but they’re still who they always were, sex hasn’t changed them irrevocably as a person. This open-eyed and open-minded perspective is an important one to offer to teens who, likely, won’t receive it from anyone in their lives. Stories are vital in the way we construct ourselves and so it’s important that the stories we tell about sex are conveying the correct message; which may well be no message at all.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
The soundtrack can be found here: http://music.disasterpeace.com/album/it-follows. The Title track sounds straight out of Fez, but Heels and Old Maid are unique enough that I trust the soundtrack as a whole will have its own feel.

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit
Maika Monroe is quite attractive to me ever since I saw her in The Guest so between that, the premise, and the synthy score I think this may be right up my alley.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Question: I'm thinking of seeing this with a friend who's a feminist horror author. Is that a good idea or bad idea? My understanding from what I've seen of this movie is that it's more about sex-negativity than sex-negative itself, but want to make sure.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Jonny Angel posted:

Question: I'm thinking of seeing this with a friend who's a feminist horror author. Is that a good idea or bad idea? My understanding from what I've seen of this movie is that it's more about sex-negativity than sex-negative itself, but want to make sure.

It confounds me that anyone can look at the obvious exploitation of horror films and think that this is some sort of puritanical motivation. It's daft.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

It confounds me that anyone can look at the obvious exploitation of horror films and think that this is some sort of puritanical motivation. It's daft.

Ok

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jonny Angel posted:

the movie isn't really against sex and has an surprisingly realistic view of how people this age view it. There's like one character in the movie for whom sex is this big deal and I think he's more there to give the normal horror movie perspective on all this.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Yeah, the only issue a feminist horror author will have with this movie is jealousy. It should be well in her wheelhouse and is, I think, actually pretty sex-positive despite what the concept might suggest on paper.

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

Jonny Angel posted:

Without going down the rabbit hole of whether or not it's a feminist work in and of itself, the film definitely takes a dimmer view of men than it does women.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I didn't realise there was a dedicated thread for this but I'll echo what I said elsewhere in that I wish the last third was as good as what preceeds it. I feel that once Gregg dies the movie doesn't quite know what to do and sort of falls into this weird slasher movie climax.

While I think the movie is about more than just the scare of STI - It could be read as a loss of innocence, of the dangers of impending adulthood, or just the sudden awareness of mortality - it's in fact all of those things. But I think that by making the proverbial 'It' so visceral it sort of renders those other elements moot. I like that there's the idea that adults are largely ineffectual and that most of all it's a curse that only seems to inflict the young.

One question though: Do we think she fucks the guys on the boat? I thought she had, but while it's not mentioned again she seems to be of the idea that it's about to turn up again in no time which made me think she hadn't actually gone through with it.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Copy pasted from the horror thread:

I'm pretty sure there's a whole different layer to It Follows than the "STI" metaphor that sits on the surface. In my reading the curse was reaching adulthood, and leaving the innocence of childhood behind. There's a number of things throughout the movie that back that up: Her boyfriend talking about wishing he was a kid in their "game", her speech about romanticizing growing older right after they have sex, the fact that adults played essentially no role in the film (they can't conceive of the struggle that the adolescents are going through), the fact that sex is often considered the passage into adulthood, I'm pretty sure even some of the quotes from The Idiot backs it up, but I'm not sure. I also read another interpretation that it's about the awareness of death, which seems plausible.

Viginti's explanation is probably more thorough and educated than mine though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

One question though: Do we think she fucks the guys on the boat? I thought she had, but while it's not mentioned again she seems to be of the idea that it's about to turn up again in no time which made me think she hadn't actually gone through with it.

She definitely fucks the guys on the boat but she also doesn't explain what's about to happen to them or anything. She knows that it's just a matter of time before these unprepared guys are gonna get murdered by this thing, so she know it's not a very long delay. It sounds cruel but it's not like they would have believed her if she had explained it. I mean part of the reason that she gets chloroformed by her boyfriend at the beginning is because he knows that's the only way to make sure she takes his message seriously. She doesn't really have the time to do that.

As for the ending, I do admit that it's odd but I still think it's a neat scene. I think it's just one last try at really trying to outsmart this thing before just sort of giving in to it as inescapable. I do agree that the movie seems unclear as what to do next but neither do the characters and they're just trying some crazy idea. That doesn't fulyl excuse it or anything but I think it's still a cool rear end scene so I can't be too annoyed at it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

axleblaze posted:

She definitely fucks the guys on the boat but she also doesn't explain what's about to happen to them or anything. She knows that it's just a matter of time before these unprepared guys are gonna get murdered by this thing, so she know it's not a very long delay. It sounds cruel but it's not like they would have believed her if she had explained it. I mean part of the reason that she gets chloroformed by her boyfriend at the beginning is because he knows that's the only way to make sure she takes his message seriously. She doesn't really have the time to do that.

As for the ending, I do admit that it's odd but I still think it's a neat scene. I think it's just one last try at really trying to outsmart this thing before just sort of giving in to it as inescapable. I do agree that the movie seems unclear as what to do next but neither do the characters and they're just trying some crazy idea. That doesn't fulyl excuse it or anything but I think it's still a cool rear end scene so I can't be too annoyed at it.

I should say I do appreciate the climax on that thematic level in that they just come up with this plan and hope that it works even though It's largely ineffective. I also appreciate that the thing in the pool is her father, which was a nice touch. Just like I believe the kid that comes through the door in the beach house is the same one that is seen constantly spying on her.

I think that climax is strange in that it tries to have it both ways by doing that slasher climax (I had flashbacks to Jennifer's Body) while pretending that it isn't that type of movie. I think we can argue that the aimlessness is the point, which is fair enough, but it's a let down after the fantastic hour or so that comes before it.

One thing I did like was how unexplained it was. Like there's no scene where someone lays out the rules for you. It comes close when they find the guy from the start but then it's pretty clear that no one really knows anything.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So um, where the gently caress can I actually see this movie? It's supposed to be released today in a limited capacity but I didn't know "limited" meant exclusively in New York City. I figured there'd be at least some small theater in Boston that would have it.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So um, where the gently caress can I actually see this movie? It's supposed to be released today in a limited capacity but I didn't know "limited" meant exclusively in New York City. I figured there'd be at least some small theater in Boston that would have it.

I think someone mentioned it's supposed to be released on VOD soon?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Vox loves it. Review doesn't give away any specific plot points, but it might be a little spoilery if you're sensitive.

This only makes it increasingly disappointing that its not getting a theatrical release anywhere near me. :(

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

Yaws posted:

I think someone mentioned it's supposed to be released on VOD soon?

The 27th. Early reports had it coming out today on VOD as well, but it seems that isn't the case.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Maybe next Friday? That's when it's opening here in Seattle. On one screen.

Neumonic
Sep 25, 2003

This is my serious face.
I'm amazed that there isn't one showtime in Austin until next week.

Does "limited release" mean "shown to a captive audience in the director's basement?"

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm heading up to Lincoln Center tonight to see it. There's like two other places in the city showing it, which is really surprising for something that's allegedly being released today. Hopefully it hits other cities real soon!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Neumonic posted:

I'm amazed that there isn't one showtime in Austin until next week.

Does "limited release" mean "shown to a captive audience in the director's basement?"

Where are you seeing a release for Austin? I checked their screenings list and the only Texas locations are Dallas along with...El Paso and a town I've never even heard of.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's always unfortunate how the majority of indie horror gets released. I mean this movie has 95% on RT right now and it's just gonna be shown in a handful of theaters before being released on demand which means most of the potential audience will just pirate it.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
It was real fuckin good. I'll post more when I'm not terrified of every knock and every stranger.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

axleblaze posted:

It's always unfortunate how the majority of indie horror gets released. I mean this movie has 95% on RT right now and it's just gonna be shown in a handful of theaters before being released on demand which means most of the potential audience will just pirate it.

This. I'm dying to see this movie but also not willing to drive hundreds of miles to do so.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

This. I'm dying to see this movie but also not willing to drive hundreds of miles to do so.

Seriously.

Doesn't this kind of stupid poo poo basically beg for piracy?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Seriously.

Doesn't this kind of stupid poo poo basically beg for piracy?

I'm still annoyed that Magnolia, who bought both V/H/S and V/H/S/2, have a thing where they tend to make the movie available on demand months before they bring it into theaters. I really don't get why they think this is a method that would benefit anyone.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't think it's limited to horror. A lot of times I'll hear about a movie here on CineD and find that it's basically airing one time in Chicago and nowhere else. Basically I wind up writing the name of the movie down and hoping it'll hit Netflix or something.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I thought it was supposed to be on VOD today. I would gladly pay a few bucks to watch it but I can't find it.

Any idea when it will actually be VOD?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Wherever you are, this movie will be moving towards you at walking speed. You do not know where it is, or when it is coming.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

axleblaze posted:

It has an actual Cinema release in the UK which is how I saw it. But on the flip side to that I think that VHS basically went straight to video. There's essentially no VOD market here.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cole posted:

I thought it was supposed to be on VOD today. I would gladly pay a few bucks to watch it but I can't find it.

Any idea when it will actually be VOD?

Oh there's a thread for this movie. I was wondering the same thing. I was really looking forward to seeing this today before I realized how limited the release is. drat.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Hey movie studio it's not hard, I want to give you money. Let me give you money!

B-Hard
Feb 23, 2012

Are you talking to me or my ass?
Saw this a couple days ago, still thinking about it. Really stuck with me. I had nightmares about it last night. I had a dream that It was walking towards me, and then I felt my wife grab my hand just trying to wake me up and I woke up screaming.

I loved your post, Viginti. I felt like there was a lot the film was saying about sex, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I want to watch the film again ASAP just to catch all the symbolism.

Just echoing what other people have already said: great creepy movie, great concept for a low-budget horror, and I'm still listening to the soundtrack.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I really can't wait any longer and I'm entertaining the idea of a trip to Columbus Circle tonight or tomorrow night to see it. I don't have many friends that like horror though, will I be scared if I go alone?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

B-Hard posted:

Saw this a couple days ago, still thinking about it. Really stuck with me. I had nightmares about it last night. I had a dream that It was walking towards me, and then I felt my wife grab my hand just trying to wake me up and I woke up screaming.

I loved your post, Viginti. I felt like there was a lot the film was saying about sex, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I want to watch the film again ASAP just to catch all the symbolism.

Just echoing what other people have already said: great creepy movie, great concept for a low-budget horror, and I'm still listening to the soundtrack.

Funnily enough I went for a run last night and had this idea of someone following me. But then I was in the dark and that tends to breed those kinds of thoughts.

I think it's about more than sex though, and the Director has basically confirmed that of course, passing on an STI doesn't get rid of an STI so that idea kind of falls a little to the wayside. Though Thinking about it now, the movie also presents the idea that you're not actually rid of it at all, and it's still a presence even when it's been 'passed on'. It could be read as a metaphor for a lot of ideas though (The loss of innocence, the awareness of death) and still stand up just fine. The sex thing is the most obvious, and understandable, one.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I really can't wait any longer and I'm entertaining the idea of a trip to Columbus Circle tonight or tomorrow night to see it. I don't have many friends that like horror though, will I be scared if I go alone?

Honestly, you'll be fine. It's unnerving more than scary.

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The underscore is silent.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Maybe next Friday? That's when it's opening here in Seattle. On one screen.

I just saw it on this one screen last night (first time at the Egyptian, which is a pretty cool place!) and really liked it.

Viginti, that's a great post - you expressed my thoughts on the movie quite a bit more eloquently than I would have. Also, the soundtrack is pretty dope.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Saw it at BAM in Brooklyn, which speaks volumes as BAM usually won't screen anything it considers to be cheap or tacky.

I definitely recommend it, it's great 'intelligent horror' and it stays very grounded with its suburban / ghetto imagery.

In some ways it's a coming of age film. The tedium of teenage life is portrayed pretty well.

There is plenty of suspense to attract horror fans but not quite enough gore to repel mainstream masses.

Didn't read Viginti's post until after I saw the movie but I will agree with 100% of what he said. My own suspicion is that the antagonist is an angry spirit seeking revenge for being cheated upon. It's also gradually revealed how the spirit kills you, and it's kind of hilarious, considering what has to happen to get you in its sights.

It'll also get you to look up why ghosts can't cross water. :v:

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hey movie studio it's not hard, I want to give you money. Let me give you money!

They listened to you!

http://www.avclub.com/article/it-follows-getting-wide-release-wont-hit-vod-early-216832

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Zombie
Sep 6, 2012
Random thoughts on the ending: I think the thing actually does die in the pool. The ambiguity of the scene at the end, with the man walking behind them, is meant to be just that: ambiguity. Even when a person moves on from a traumatic sexual situation, a bit of it is still there. The thing is gone, but the paranoia remains.

• Locked thread