Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeruKusanagi
Dec 26, 2012
During the Goglo 13 part, the first one was by Staff Writer Kensaku Sakai, but the onscreen text says Abe. Was that what it said in the original?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

gunstarheroes posted:

I remember what happened with Season 9 obviously, but what was the reason for season 6 being short?

The birth of Arino's first child, mainly.

Excelsior
Apr 30, 2003

I just watched the Budokan special, and holy moly it was glorious. Seeing seven thousand people chanting for Ogawa was a sight to behold for sure.

Also, Arino having the sudden recollection and the whole crowd murmuring in awe at the Ghosts n' Goblins portion was a little too badass.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

ZeruKusanagi posted:

During the Goglo 13 part, the first one was by Staff Writer Kensaku Sakai, but the onscreen text says Abe. Was that what it said in the original?
I fixed that when I checked the script. :iiam:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hirayuki posted:

I fixed that when I checked the script. :iiam:

I really screwed things up then. :smith:

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011
Abe was robbed.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

i liked that they picked favs on which made them all laugh most

the more i hear of kan ooc, the more like a big doof he sounds

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Season 19 starts April 9th.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Funny story from a recent GCCX Channel episode. If you watched the Bravoman raw then you know Inoue was late (he slept in past noon is what they said). Truth was, he had way too much to drink the night before and passed out in a parking lot (no mention whether or not he was in a car...).

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013
Is the flooding gonna resume in the near future? :>

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A shooter pic for a shooter episode!

This time Arino is playing the most expensive game they've ever used in an episode: Super Spy Hunter. The US version can be easily found for less than ten dollars, the Japanese version for several hundred. Will he be intimidated by this game?

This time out the episode was translated by zari-gani, timed by Gutcruncher, and really was checked by Hirayuki.

Download the torrent!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
The People in my Head episode is loving hilarious

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

This time Arino is playing the most expensive game they've ever used in an episode: Super Spy Hunter. The US version can be easily found for less than ten dollars, the Japanese version for several hundred. Will he be intimidated by this game?

This time out the episode was translated by zari-gani, timed by Gutcruncher, and really was checked by Hirayuki.

Download the torrent!

Hell yes! Thank you for the new release - can't wait to watch it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Random Stranger posted:

Download the torrent!

No matter what, it's going to be a great weekend now!

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

thank u sa gccx u are doing gods work

Kirbychwan
Mar 19, 2009

Nuclear fusion causes confusion!
Fantastic, thanks for the release! Been seriously craving some GCCX.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Oh my god Urakawa delivering the gameplay tip was amazing in three different ways. :allears:

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Corridor posted:

thank u sa gccx u are doing gods work

Dear Corridor,
this has nothing to do with GCCX so I apologize but everytime I see your avatar I get all giggly inside like a 14 year old girl despite being a 34 year old man.

Also thanks for the new episode guys! Can't wait to waste the rest of my work day on the forums before getting home and being able to watch this :v:

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I love it when they get Arino to challenge a shmup. Arino struggles so much playing his weakest genre. Can't wait when Gradius and R-Type are challenged. I would love to see Arino challenge the shmip Life Force in the future.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

I visited Hashimoto Inn a while back. It's where they shot the "NES Box - 10 Minutes to Win It" segment. Here are some pictures I took.

http://imgur.com/a/OwRoL

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Random Stranger posted:

Download the torrent!
Thanks. I never gave this game the time of the day until I saw the raw of this episode. It's actually a pretty fun game with a nice amount of depth.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Kakaricho posted:

I visited Hashimoto Inn a while back. It's where they shot the "NES Box - 10 Minutes to Win It" segment. Here are some pictures I took.

http://imgur.com/a/OwRoL

Am I right in guessing that if you insert another 100(?) yen coin you can continue playing? They never actually showed Arino doing that.

bdr9
Mar 19, 2013
Thanks for the episode! I noticed that there is a lot of interlacing. Was there nothing that could be done about it?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
If there was they would have done it.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Is it just me, or did that hidden Pong minigame look way harder than a Pong game has any right to be?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bdr9 posted:

Thanks for the episode! I noticed that there is a lot of interlacing. Was there nothing that could be done about it?

There were absolutely absurd problems with the master video. On the positive side, the next three releases are all using nice high def masters that look very clean.

Super Spy Hunter is essentially the last "bad master" episode we've got. Okay, there's still some season one episodes that are rough just by their nature and the best video we've got of the Yuji Horii interview looks like someone's dog chewed it up, but this was the end of videos where we had to rejigger the video a lot to make it work.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Nice, thanks SAGCCX!

Has there ever been a better secret trick in GCCX? What a game, Super Spy Hunter makes you work HARD even for cheat codes.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

geri_khan posted:

Nice, thanks SAGCCX!

Has there ever been a better secret trick in GCCX? What a game, Super Spy Hunter makes you work HARD even for cheat codes.
It turns out the trick shown in the episode isn't the only double-edged secret trick in the game. From The Cutting Room Floor:

quote:

At the title screen, hold Select and press Start. Numbers from 0 to 12 will roll across the screen; press A to make them stop. The number you get will determine how many lives you start with.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

bdr9 posted:

Looks like the interlaced raw was resized before it was properly deinterlaced. When that happens, there's nothing that can be done to fix it.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
After watching it I'm a bit confused.
Since when is a $150 complete in box rare game expensive? I was waiting for $1000+ or something like that. Don't get me wrong, it's not cheap, but I'm a bit surprised.
I'm also shocked that they considered this game to be so difficult. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty hard, but once you're fully (or near full) powered up, it gets a lot easier.

Enjoyed the two new releases a ton regardless. The commentaries for the Ryu drawings were my favorite. a hadouken shoots out everytime he claps.... Patiently awaiting the next three releases. Take your time :)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

cubeboy posted:

After watching it I'm a bit confused.
Since when is a $150 complete in box rare game expensive? I was waiting for $1000+ or something like that. Don't get me wrong, it's not cheap, but I'm a bit surprised.

I'm no expert, and I would appreciate corrections, but GCCX has kind of a ridiculously shoestring budget, don't they? They use a room in the building that owns the company, and I imagine they share some equipment with Fuji TV, so after that, it's basically salary, some travel for location shooting, various stuff for pre-filmed segments, and the games themselves. I can't imagine they're exactly rolling in dough. $150 could buy enough games for 4 or 5 episodes, probably.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Rochallor posted:

I'm no expert, and I would appreciate corrections, but GCCX has kind of a ridiculously shoestring budget, don't they? They use a room in the building that owns the company, and I imagine they share some equipment with Fuji TV, so after that, it's basically salary, some travel for location shooting, various stuff for pre-filmed segments, and the games themselves. I can't imagine they're exactly rolling in dough. $150 could buy enough games for 4 or 5 episodes, probably.

You'd think they'd accept donations. Works for Classic Game Room, why not for Game Center CX? I'm sure there's some fan out there that would have jumped at the opportunity to have the Chief play their game.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

cubeboy posted:

Since when is a $150 complete in box rare game expensive?

Retro games are way more affordable in Japan and they rarely get that high in price. Also the show has to buy two boxed copies of every challenge game.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

zari-gani posted:

Retro games are way more affordable in Japan and they rarely get that high in price. Also the show has to buy two boxed copies of every challenge game.

One of them is the autographed copy they give away after each show, right? What's the other one for?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Pentaro posted:

One of them is the autographed copy they give away after each show, right? What's the other one for?

The one they use in the challenge and keep for themselves.

ETA: I guess the copy they keep doesn't necessarily have to be CIB.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 13, 2015

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Well, that and they almost always have a backup copy being played during the segments and in case of disaster, right? Or at least they have more than a few times.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Caitlin posted:

Well, that and they almost always have a backup copy being played during the segments and in case of disaster, right? Or at least they have more than a few times.

That's probably the copy that gets autographed later.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

There are a handful where they did not use a boxed copy. Obviously there is no box for gold Punch Out!! carts, for example.

Caitlin posted:

Yep. As a rule in television production, you cannot have one of anything. Something will happen to that prop and then you'll be up a creek.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
I forgot, was there a DVD-exclusive set of challenges for Retro Game Challenge 2 included with the not-as-good 3rd game like there was a set of challenges for the first RGC included with the second game or did I imagine that? If so, what's the progress on that one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Gyre posted:

Am I right in guessing that if you insert another 100(?) yen coin you can continue playing? They never actually showed Arino doing that.

Yes, I played Super Mario Brothers for about 30 consecutive minutes.

I think the whole point of the segment was to see what Arino could get done in 10 minutes, that's why they never showed him continuing.