Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

More first-time-playthrough-of-Resident-Evil-4 adventures:

Hey, it's that dog!

I died to El Gigante like five times until I decided "gently caress it" and just rocked the shotgun instead of trying to pea shooter it. Still am unclear how you're expected to avoid it most times. I had inconsistent success with running between his legs and oftentimes trying to run around him would result in me getting grabbed. Either way, he went down and then I promptly died to the zombie dogs afterwards because I'm bad at video games.

I rescued Ashley.

I bought the Red9, the stock for the Red9, and bought every upgrade I could for the Red9.

that's all for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Red9 is one of the most stylish guns in the game, I love that sucker.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Kaubocks posted:

I bought the Red9, the stock for the Red9, and bought every upgrade I could for the Red9.

that's all for now

You're doing God's work

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kaubocks posted:

More first-time-playthrough-of-Resident-Evil-4 adventures:

Hey, it's that dog!

I died to El Gigante like five times until I decided "gently caress it" and just rocked the shotgun instead of trying to pea shooter it. Still am unclear how you're expected to avoid it most times. I had inconsistent success with running between his legs and oftentimes trying to run around him would result in me getting grabbed. Either way, he went down and then I promptly died to the zombie dogs afterwards because I'm bad at video games.

I rescued Ashley.

that's all for now

Did you run up his back and stab his parasite when you got the chance or did you just keep shooting him?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The first couple of times I shot it but then I realized you could jump onto its back.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
In every game of RE4 I've played up to this point, I've foregone the TMP and Mine Thrower because everyone says that they aren't very useful. But the curiosity is eating away at me. I think next time I'm going to have to try them.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The mine thrower is kind of a gimmick but there's nothing wrong with the TMP, just use it like you would with HUNK in the mercenaries, as a tool to cause lots of staggering.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Geight posted:

The mine thrower is kind of a gimmick but there's nothing wrong with the TMP, just use it like you would with HUNK in the mercenaries, as a tool to cause lots of staggering.

Mercenaries hurt my wrists too much to unlock Hunk. I'll try to get some good rankings again sometime. Later.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The mine thrower is actually really good once you get the final upgrade, which makes the darts home in on enemies. The last section of the game becomes hilariously trivial as you completely destroy groups of enemies with a single shot.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

It's also really good before that. It's actually a really good weapon in general, maybe a bit of a pain inventory-space wise.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Also, it's hilariously easy to kill Ashley with it unless you're using her armored suit.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Yeah, mine thrower is actually pretty fun to use, especially on NG+. The first time around though the ammo is too rare and the upgrades too far apart to make it shine.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

How do mods like Greedy Killer get applied? Kills with that weapon?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Seedge posted:

How do mods like Greedy Killer get applied? Kills with that weapon?
Yeah, as far as I can tell, both that and the exp boosting mod only affect kill exp and gold.

Also I got the full burst mod and I'm wondering if I want to put it on a Drake just to be super stupid. I don't even know what weapon that mod would be good for.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, as far as I can tell, both that and the exp boosting mod only affect kill exp and gold.

Also I got the full burst mod and I'm wondering if I want to put it on a Drake just to be super stupid. I don't even know what weapon that mod would be good for.
The double barrel shotgun or on a magnum for when you want a tough enemy to just. loving. Die.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

In every game of RE4 I've played up to this point, I've foregone the TMP and Mine Thrower because everyone says that they aren't very useful. But the curiosity is eating away at me. I think next time I'm going to have to try them.

The TMP makes for great extra firepower against early bosses or minibosses that you don't want to get too close to. That's about it though; the shotgun handles crowds and the magnum takes care of the later bosses. But for a brief window early on, the TMP is quite useful - just not ever really required.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Speedball posted:

Huh, I've only gotten through (most) of Claire's Episode 3 but the game is really starting to feel like Resident Evil again.

Just finished all of the third episode and I really like it, especially Barry's part. The story is well told, for one of these games, and I like the differences between the two campaigns. Definitely something worth playing through multiple times, maybe it helps that I'm not playing on hard for the first playthrough.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Backhand posted:

The TMP makes for great extra firepower against early bosses or minibosses that you don't want to get too close to. That's about it though; the shotgun handles crowds and the magnum takes care of the later bosses. But for a brief window early on, the TMP is quite useful - just not ever really required.

I think it kills those flying fuckers pretty quickly.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
The TMP also gets around the damage cap on the chainsaw dudes. They can only take so much damage per shot (presumably to keep them threatening even if you have boss guns, grenades, etc.) just knock 'em down and hose 'em down with the TMP. Easy.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I like how everything in Barry's campaign just feels so... dead. All the Afflicted have rotted into slow-moving zombies, the only big threats left are horrible patchwork doll-creatures stitched together by the leader of the island. (Remember seeing the inside of the Tower at the end of Episode 2, she's got a real "doll" thing going on)

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
I'm really enjoying the Barry experience and the general Resident Evil zaniness of Revelations 2. He has fantastic/terrible one liners and a total disregard for the safety of a child. It's pretty perfect. I'd like to see Capcom adopt this format for more frequent releases. As a budget series they could try new things and give their B-team a place to cut their teeth between main series installments.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

citizenlowell posted:

I'm really enjoying the Barry experience and the general Resident Evil zaniness of Revelations 2. He has fantastic/terrible one liners and a total disregard for the safety of a child. It's pretty perfect. I'd like to see Capcom adopt this format for more frequent releases. As a budget series they could try new things and give their B-team a place to cut their teeth between main series installments.

I am totally in agreement with this although I would like them to spend a little more effort optimizing the next title. Rev2's PC port felt like a step back in quality after 6 and Revelations.

e: I would like them to spend time optimizing Rev2 more, of course.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I'm really enjoying Rev2 after not having played any REvil since I completed the REmake on Gamecube and went through...a good portion of RE4? I think I made it to the castle then stopped for whatever reason. I think I might get RE4 on Steam, but what other Resident Evil games should I really consider getting?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Five and six are both good if you have someone else to play with. Six has a lot of dumb vehicle segments and a bad stealth campaign but is good overall. Five is honestly almost just as good as RE4.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Anonymous Robot posted:

Five and six are both good if you have someone else to play with. Six has a lot of dumb vehicle segments and a bad stealth campaign but is good overall. Five is honestly almost just as good as RE4.

Lmao sorry 5 is a loving abomination. Dull, lifeless, inventory management simulator. 4 is orders of magnitude more fun and interesting.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

beergod posted:

Lmao sorry 5 is a loving abomination. Dull, lifeless, inventory management simulator. 4 is orders of magnitude more fun and interesting.

But 5 has this.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

It also has Chris punching a loving boulder.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Six I would almost say is better than 4 mechanics-wise, and people overstate how much you need a co-op partner in that game. It has a steep learning curve, though. Five IMO has the worst parts of both 4 and 6, though the inventory ammo reload is cool. Although TBH I would finish four before you even thought about buying either of the other ones - there's a good reason people say it's the best one.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm really enjoying Rev2 after not having played any REvil since I completed the REmake on Gamecube and went through...a good portion of RE4? I think I made it to the castle then stopped for whatever reason. I think I might get RE4 on Steam, but what other Resident Evil games should I really consider getting?

RE5 is getting ported over to Steamworks as we speak, it should be finished soon enough. I think they'd put it on sale then? I'd wait for a bit, anyway. RE6 is one of those ones that might really click with you and might not. It didn't for me, honestly, but there's plenty of people here who could help you out. I'd wait for a sale, don't bother with the DLC, it's all for multiplayer and I gather the DLC game modes are all pretty dead. I hear Rev1 is good? I haven't played it yet, I'm waiting for a good sale, ideally at a time when I have money. It doesn't look like ORC is still on Steam. I hear it was rather poo poo?

Speaking of RE6, I looked at a Let's Play of RE6 just briefly to see how far I got in Chris' campaign, and I am shocked at how close to the end I was. I got to the timed bit in the... Sealab or whatever before I just decided I was done with it. Even after playing a bunch of Mercenaries (most of my shocking 15.3 hours, I'd say) I was just never comfortable with the controls and I wasn't into the gameplay at all.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

A gamepad works far better for RE6 than the keyboard ever will in my opinion, but that's because I spent 500 hours on the PS3 version. I have a friend who is old and arthritic and he plays RE6 pretty drat good on KB+M, but I never could.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Lol. I also noticed that Barry had a line bitching about the weight of the generator late into ep. 3.

The same generator that Natalia is capable of picking up with no trouble at all.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

catlord posted:

It doesn't look like ORC is still on Steam. I hear it was rather poo poo?

It's still there. I actually had a lot of fun playing the PC port with one of my friends-- one out of the 5 that bought it (the rest switched over to Windows 8 and then couldn't run it). I'd recommend it if they switch it over to Steamworks like RE5, but until then stay far, far away.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I was enjoying Rev2 a good bit, but my enjoyment skyrocketed when I started using Moira as a meatshield in episode 3 to absorb all of the zombie-explosions. This is great.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Lol. I also noticed that Barry had a line bitching about the weight of the generator late into ep. 3.

The same generator that Natalia is capable of picking up with no trouble at all.

Natalia is obviously infected with whatever virus RER2 has in it and is the next evolution of humankind. Barry is not part of our glorious future.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
Raid mode fun fact: stack Leon's and cipher's skills together to break the game by becoming an unstoppable melee hurricane. :getin:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

"Go jump on a dildo, boss!"

Followed by the achievement: Here's my Resignation (end of Claire's chapter, episode 3)

I love the writing in this game.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

The Skeep posted:

Raid mode fun fact: stack Leon's and cipher's skills together to break the game by becoming an unstoppable melee hurricane. :getin:

Wait, so Leons knife skill affects the katana? :confused: I heard it didn't?

Can anyone else confirm if that and other knife skills work with the katana? Sounds almost too good to be true.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
At the end of Claire's Episode 3 chapter, there is a QTE where they struggle with Neil. Is it possible for Moira to pick up the gun and shoot him? When I played it, I initially switched to her and started crawling forward, but thought I had to balance between her crawling and Claire warding off Neil so I switched back to Claire and that led to her picking up the gun and finishing him off.

The in-game animation detail is surprisingly good, by the way: if you tilt the camera to the characters faces while they talk, they actually move not only their lips, but have facial reactions to the voice acting. Considering I have seen some AAA games not even animate lip movement for scenes where they assume the player will not pay attention, I was surprised they went to the trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

timeandtide posted:

At the end of Claire's Episode 3 chapter, there is a QTE where they struggle with Neil. Is it possible for Moira to pick up the gun and shoot him? When I played it, I initially switched to her and started crawling forward, but thought I had to balance between her crawling and Claire warding off Neil so I switched back to Claire and that led to her picking up the gun and finishing him off.

The in-game animation detail is surprisingly good, by the way: if you tilt the camera to the characters faces while they talk, they actually move not only their lips, but have facial reactions to the voice acting. Considering I have seen some AAA games not even animate lip movement for scenes where they assume the player will not pay attention, I was surprised they went to the trouble.

Yes.