Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
The fact that potential whistleblowers were discouraged from coming forward, to me, is the most damning thing. The horrible treatment of the girls, the neglect and dereliction of duty by the officers and social workers on the ground, that's bad enough, but when people trying to actually address the issues are pushed back against, that's when this gets to conspiracy level poo poo.

It doesn't surprise me that most people can turn a blind eye to abuse like this, bit quashing whistleblowers is not just willful ignorance, that's actively helping these actions occur. The management of those departments should be behind bars for the rest of their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Blooody hell. They might "give consent" but the bloody point of many of these laws is that a minor can't meaningfully give consent anyway. They themselves don't know what the hell.

Even if certain men perceive them to be "naughty" that should not make any loving difference.

gently caress

I mean. Really. WTF

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
We know that now, but you have to accept that attitudes were different back then and certain acts and attitudes which seem unspeakable today were just the done thing back then. We've come a long way since 2012.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Everyone involved should lose their job

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jose posted:

Woah, steady on mate, let's not be too harsh here. I mean those cops will only have their generous pensions to fall back on.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Is exile still a thing? Are there no coal mines in Austrailia to ship these people to?

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Party Plane Jones posted:

Is exile still a thing? Are there no coal mines in Austrailia to ship these people to?

No coal mines, but there's a couple of education departments you can be packed off to.

Murderion fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 4, 2015

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

The fact that potential whistleblowers were discouraged from coming forward, to me, is the most damning thing. The horrible treatment of the girls, the neglect and dereliction of duty by the officers and social workers on the ground, that's bad enough, but when people trying to actually address the issues are pushed back against, that's when this gets to conspiracy level poo poo.

I think this is the most disturbing thing. It's less that there was a conscious conspiracy, more than the organisations involved were/are unconsciously designed to prevent allegations like this from gaining traction. Everybody is accountable to somebody, everyone is implicated, nobody wants to rock the boat. Chances are that anyone with the inclinations or courage to stand up to authority wouldn't succeed in these organisations, so they gradually become wholly managed by cowardly fucks who'd rather sweep unpleasantness under the rug than risk anything.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 4, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Gosh I never thought I would praise the efficiency and transparency of our system in responding to trafficking of minors, but here I am.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Serotonin posted:

It's not incompetence. It's wilful classism and rape culture shite.

For once, it's not just classism. Police have never given a drat about kids being raped.

And neither have schools. Nor churches. Nor Temples. And all the rest.

It's always been the child who gets blamed.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Serotonin posted:

It's not incompetence. It's wilful classism and rape culture shite.

Children of all social classes are being raped by gangs http://www.childrenscommissioner.gov.uk/content/publications/content_580

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

I'm very angry having read this.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

But those of lower social class are more vulnerable and have less avenues to go to in crisis

E: though apparently even upper class get molested by family members, whooooo :smith:

EnderWiggin
Jan 10, 2015

E: though apparently even upper class get molested by family members, whooooo :smith:

I assume you're referring to the reported abuses in Hampstead (a pretty affluent area of London).

The thing about it happening in upper class families is I believe they have more resources to organise and keep social and justice services under their thumb.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Daily Beast sums up the Thatcher administration's protection of child abusers. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/03/06/britain-s-horrific-vip-pedophile-cover-up.html

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The Daily Beast sums up the Thatcher administration's protection of child abusers. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/03/06/britain-s-horrific-vip-pedophile-cover-up.html

gently caress, I'd heard a lot of that already, but laid out as well as that :smithicide:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There's a "prolific abuse of miners" joke in there just waiting to be plucked.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So Don Hale's story has changed yet again - at first he was just claiming that he had information about one nonce and he got served a D-Notice, now he's claiming that he had info supplied to him by Barbara Castle (who chose to entrust the biggest political story of the century to her local paper, and also neither her nor this guy had apparently heard of "photocopiers") about an entire network and 15 Special Branch officers stormed his office to seize papers. Also he's now claiming the papers carried protective markings which have never existed ("for your eyes only" is a loving Bond film, for fucks sake, and "Eyes Only" - the actual protective marking - would have been alongside other protective markings that are way more memorable than the ones he mentioned).

I said when he first came forward his story seemed unlikely, but this is just plain bullshit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So Don Hale's story has changed yet again - at first he was just claiming that he had information about one nonce and he got served a D-Notice, now he's claiming that he had info supplied to him by Barbara Castle (who chose to entrust the biggest political story of the century to her local paper, and also neither her nor this guy had apparently heard of "photocopiers") about an entire network and 15 Special Branch officers stormed his office to seize papers. Also he's now claiming the papers carried protective markings which have never existed ("for your eyes only" is a loving Bond film, for fucks sake, and "Eyes Only" - the actual protective marking - would have been alongside other protective markings that are way more memorable than the ones he mentioned).

I said when he first came forward his story seemed unlikely, but this is just plain bullshit.

I don't know about any of that, but why would you take a story to the Bury Messenger when you could take it to the Manchester Evening News?

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Do you think this discredits the whole scandal?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There are going to be people jumping on the bandwagon for personal gain, expect a lot of books and what not to be authored.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Has any other woman ever been responsible for so many min(e/o)rs getting hosed?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Uh OK it pretty much seems like Britain has always been ruled by authoritarian conspiracy and Floor 13 was understating the case?

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So Don Hale's story has changed yet again

What exactly has changed from this report last July?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...estminster.html

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Do you think this discredits the whole scandal?

No, not at all. I just think it hurts serious investigative efforts when people put up such dodgy stories. Maybe there's even a kernel of truth in what he's saying (I acknowledged as such when his first version came out) but gilding the lily only serves to make it easier to dismiss legitimate stories.

Zombywuf posted:

What exactly has changed from this report last July?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...estminster.html

Well, the three officers in that story with a D Notice have become 15 officers with a D Notice and a search warrant - as I've already pointed out, D notices just don't work that way and presumably someone told him that. There's no mention of Cyril Smith putting the pressure on or of the documents being protectively marked, the timescale has changed between him getting the dossier and the raid, and there's still the hole that you can ride a coach and horses through of neither he nor Barbara Castle thought to make copies of the documents that would be the key part of the biggest political story of the century, and that Barbara Castle just went "Meh, okay, may as well let the pedos do their thing" after all this happens.

I'll be very charitable and say that maybe he heard some gossip, maybe even from Barbara Castle, about this story, he nudged around, and was warned off. That seems totally plausible and in line with what has happened in the past. Over time he's bigged the story up in the pub (journalists are the most notorious bullshitters on the planet) and now he's getting some publicity from it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chadderbox posted:

Has any other woman ever been responsible for so many min(e/o)rs getting hosed?

That hag in Australia might be a contender but her pedophilia ring hasn't been uncovered yet.

E: Gina Rinehart is the hag in question.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Exaro reporting reporting the police raided two homes of Leon Brittan, as well as the homes of former Tory MP Harvey Proctor, and Lord Bramall, all at the same time.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well, the three officers in that story with a D Notice have become 15 officers with a D Notice and a search warrant - as I've already pointed out, D notices just don't work that way and presumably someone told him that.
3 + 12 in the original story, and they could have come in waving a beermat and demanded he shut down irrespective of whether beermats work that way.

quote:

There's no mention of Cyril Smith putting the pressure on or of the documents being protectively marked, the timescale has changed between him getting the dossier and the raid,
Yeah, I'll agree that's a bit fishy.

quote:

and there's still the hole that you can ride a coach and horses through of neither he nor Barbara Castle thought to make copies of the documents that would be the key part of the biggest political story of the century, and that Barbara Castle just went "Meh, okay, may as well let the pedos do their thing" after all this happens.
Well there's the threat of lengthy jail time if he ever talked about it or published, so copies are irrelevant. Geoffrey Dickens claimed to have received death threats and been burgled by people who didn't take anything but did ransack the place. Maybe the intimidation worked.

I mean, given the utter failure to do anything about Saville by anyone I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt on this one.

quote:

I'll be very charitable and say that maybe he heard some gossip, maybe even from Barbara Castle, about this story, he nudged around, and was warned off. That seems totally plausible and in line with what has happened in the past. Over time he's bigged the story up in the pub (journalists are the most notorious bullshitters on the planet) and now he's getting some publicity from it.
Dunno, I think there's more to it than that. He's probably glamorised it but I don't find it that infeasible.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Max Clifford has been arrested again under Yewtree

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FAUXTON posted:

That hag in Australia might be a contender but her pedophilia ring hasn't been uncovered yet.

E: Gina Rinehart is the hag in question.

I'm pretty sure Gina just bakes them into pies in her gingerbread house.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 13, 2015

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Geez you can see why politicians are so happy for the War On Terror, the only leverage the security services used to have on them were the CP pix.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

FAUXTON posted:

I think the only thing more prophetic than The Onion's Bush Inauguration piece is this one by Frank Turner now.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31907201

quote:

Metropolitan Police probed over child abuse 'cover-up' claims

The police watchdog is investigating alleged corruption in the Metropolitan Police, including claims it covered up child sex offences because of the involvement of police officers and MPs.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission is investigating 14 referrals relating to child sex offences from the 1970s to the 2000s.

It said the claims were of "high-level corruption of the most serious nature".

Salt the earth :smith:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Now watch as this drags on forever and the IPCC clears the Met of any wrong doing.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I expect this is all bollocks too eh GDT?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31908431

quote:

Officers were then ordered to hand over all their evidence - including notebooks and video footage - and were warned to keep quiet about the investigation or face prosecution under the Official Secrets Act, it is claimed.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Serotonin posted:

I expect this is all bollocks too eh GDT?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31908431

You're absolutely right, calling out obvious bullshit from one person means I believe every single person in power is pure as the driven snow and literally nothing at all ever happened ever.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

So I don't think this has been posted http://news.sky.com/story/1442551/was-man-murdered-for-exposing-paedophile-ring

quote:

Police investigating Westminster-linked child abuse are examining whether a man was murdered because he was about to expose a paedophile ring operating within a London council.

Sky News has obtained details of an internal investigation documenting sexual assaults and abuse carried out by officers within Lambeth Council in the 1990s.

The unpublished report reveals claims from those within the council that Bulic Forsythe, a manager in the housing department whose murder sparked a nationwide appeal in 1993, may have discovered council property was being used to carry out abuse.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

:stare:

This is like... I can't even think of an equivalent scandal that's come to light holy poo poo

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

:stare:

This is like... I can't even think of an equivalent scandal that's come to light holy poo poo

And Theresa May says there's more to come.

Theresa May posted:

I think what we what have seen so far is the tip of the iceberg and society will be shocked when they see to what extent this is an issue around the UK

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/child-abuse-whistleblowers-should-have-immunity-from-arrest-says-theresa-may-10114881.html

Can't help but think she's playing with fire here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Zombywuf posted:

And Theresa May says there's more to come.

quote:

Theresa May, Britain's home secretary, was yesterday found dead at the bottom of the Thames. Her feet had been encased in concrete. Police said they were not treating the death as suspicious and were not seeking to question anyone in connection with it.

• Locked thread